PDA

View Full Version : Should Hibs try this in some of the important away games coming up

hibsforeurope
16-12-2011, 02:33 PM
http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2011/12/16/free-buses-to-tynecastle/

Why do Hibs never seem to do anything for the fans like what Motherwell are doing to try encourage the team in an important game.

Hibs are always willing to take from the fans but very rarely do they ever give anything back.

Look what seeing a decent following at Motherwell did for the performance level the other week.

linlithgowhibbie
16-12-2011, 02:37 PM
From a personal point of view I hate this idea, HMFC will get more gate money in, thats the last thing I want!!!:flag:

iwasthere1972
16-12-2011, 02:43 PM
From a personal point of view I hate this idea, HMFC will get more gate money in, thats the last thing I want!!!:flag:

Unless of course that snow and ice forecast for overnight manage to get the game called off. A rearranged fixture in Feb or March may be too late to save them.

Fingers crossed.

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow.

hibsforeurope
16-12-2011, 02:44 PM

Very true, it will only prolong the agony/amusement though. It would be a good idea if it wasn't for that game.

Keith_M
16-12-2011, 02:45 PM
TBF, Hibs have just sacked a manager and appointed a new one, to give the fans more of what they want (hopefully, a winning team on the park) and that must have cost money.

I can't see Hibs spending money on something when they're not fully convinced there'll be a tangible financial benefit to the club. The biggest beneficiaries of paying for away travel will be the club they're visiting.

Maybe this is Well's way of giving to Hearts in their time of need :wink:

Iggy Pope
16-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Not without precedent at Hibs.
I recall the club arranging buses to get more fans to an away game at Dumbarton around about 1983 - 84. Effectively a relegation decider. Which we won.

Bishop Hibee
16-12-2011, 03:09 PM
I recall the club arranging buses to get more fans to an away game at Dumbarton around about 1983 - 84. Effectively a relegation decider. Which we won.

Correct. A 0-2 victory courtesy of Brian Rice and Willie Irvine I think. I was one of the 4000 fans who took advantage the offer. What a dump Boghead was.

Andy74
16-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Travel to games has changed a wee bit.

The majority would be asking Hibs for some petrol money if they did this.

I'd rather Hibs spent their money on giving us a team worth going to watch.

hibsforeurope
16-12-2011, 03:14 PM
TBF, Hibs have just sacked a manager and appointed a new one, to give the fans more of what they want (hopefully, a winning team on the park) and that must have cost money.

I can't see Hibs spending money on something when they're not fully convinced there'll be a tangible financial benefit to the club. The biggest beneficiaries of paying for away travel will be the club they're visiting.

Maybe this is Well's way of giving to Hearts in their time of need :wink:

I know there would be no tangible financial reward to Hibs but it could be the difference between staying up or getting relegated, which would have massive financial consequences.

It may also be an act of goodwill to the fans for having to suffer the dross they have in the last 4 or 5 years.

monktonharp
16-12-2011, 03:17 PM

Why do Hibs never seem to do anything for the fans like what Motherwell are doing to try encourage the team in an important game.

Hibs are always willing to take from the fans but very rarely do they ever give anything back.

Look what seeing a decent following at Motherwell did for the performance level the other week.Hibernian NEVER have, and never will make a gesture like this, as long as they dont have an innovative Chairman like Leeann Dempster.she alone seems to recognise the situation in this present climate, for all real football fans that just cannae afford things,for obvious reasons. this time of year is very very expensive when bringing up a family,when unemployed,when at the moment having to scrimp and save and pay yer rent/mortgage/keep yer vehicle on the road etc etfkincetra. she has also dropped admission prices at fir park which happened in our last game there, and handed out vouchers after the disasterous finale.so, for all that she must be praised and I for one ,hope it works out " 'Well " for them.

Andy74
16-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Hibernian NEVER have, and never will make a gesture like this, as long as they dont have an innovative Chairman like Leeann Dempster.she alone seems to recognise the situation in this present climate, for all real football fans that just cannae afford things,for obvious reasons. this time of year is very very expensive when bringing up a family,when unemployed,when at the moment having to scrimp and save and pay yer rent/mortgage/keep yer vehicle on the road etc etfkincetra. she has also dropped admission prices at fir park which happened in our last game there, and handed out vouchers after the disasterous finale.so, for all that she must be praised and I for one ,hope it works out " 'Well " for them.

None of that is doing anything for the Motherwell finances. Innovative is all very well if it actually works in doing what you want to achieve.

Iggy Pope
16-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Hibernian NEVER have, and never will make a gesture like this, as long as they dont have an innovative Chairman like Leeann Dempster.she alone seems to recognise the situation in this present climate, for all real football fans that just cannae afford things,for obvious reasons. this time of year is very very expensive when bringing up a family,when unemployed,when at the moment having to scrimp and save and pay yer rent/mortgage/keep yer vehicle on the road etc etfkincetra. she has also dropped admission prices at fir park which happened in our last game there, and handed out vouchers after the disasterous finale.so, for all that she must be praised and I for one ,hope it works out " 'Well " for them.

Not true - see Posts 6 and 7.

monktonharp
16-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Maybe this is Well's way of giving to Hearts in their time of need :wink: I find myself amazed at your comments. "tangible benefit"? lots more fans would turn up and cheer on the team, when it is badly needed,lke now! and that is a real benefit,added to the big thank you to fans,who in turn will want to go to the next home game. it all ties in with succss breeds success and all that, naw? they sacked a manager,brought another in, to gie us mair o' what we want, did they now? they sacked a manager,because he was draggin' us doon the verbial plughole and couldae do enything else, unless they wanted a severe backlash to finally see a mass protest to sack the BOARD. that action,is not very far away, if we go down this year.IMHO.

Andy74
16-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I find myself amazed at your comments. "tangible benefit"? lots more fans would turn up and cheer on the team, when it is badly needed,lke now! and that is a real benefit,added to the big thank you to fans,who in turn will want to go to the next home game. it all ties in with succss breeds success and all that, naw? they sacked a manager,brought another in, to gie us mair o' what we want, did they now? they sacked a manager,because he was draggin' us doon the verbial plughole and couldae do enything else, unless they wanted a severe backlash to finally see a mass protest to sack the BOARD. that action,is not very far away, if we go down this year.IMHO.

I'd suggest you were wrong if you thought lots more fans would turn up by getting free travel to a game. I'd go so far as to say you'd get virtually no additional support.

It's easy to throw these things around until you have real reponsibility for ensuring the club can make ends meet.

DC_Hibs
16-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Did this for Aberdeen away for a midweek cup game back in the (Jim Leighton) day.

Won on pens I'm sure and is available to view on youpube.

Or were we charged a token fiver?

TheEastTerrace
16-12-2011, 03:38 PM
I can't remember if it was free, but the club definitely arranged buses to and from Dunfermline for penultimate game of the 97-98 season when we were relegated. Brebner scored an OG.

Did they not do buses for the play-off against Airdrie too?

monktonharp
16-12-2011, 03:42 PM
I'd suggest you were wrong if you thought lots more fans would turn up by getting free travel to a game. I'd go so far as to say you'd get virtually no additional support.

It's easy to throw these things around until you have real reponsibility for ensuring the club can make ends meet.sorry to disagree, but do look at posts 6 and 7, as I was rerminded of, although I'm sure it was definately not the present day Hibernian chairman that thought that one up:rolleyes:

monktonharp
16-12-2011, 03:52 PM
my main point on this issue, is that The present Motherwell board deserve praise for their innovative actions, when they give something back to their hard presed loyal fans, and the chairperson has actively encouraged fans to make a noise/bring a flag/sing/do everything that brings exitement to a match,because that is what it is meant to be, and make certain games affordable when they are certainly not so, or the game in Scotland is going to die a death,quicker for some than we might expect.

RIP
16-12-2011, 04:13 PM
This idea has been borne out of the club management and supporters realizing the benefit of bringing more noise and colour into the supporting of a football team. It's all about the experience. Imagine if we were able to fill ER

Andy74
16-12-2011, 04:20 PM
sorry to disagree, but do look at posts 6 and 7, as I was rerminded of, although I'm sure it was definately not the present day Hibernian chairman that thought that one up:rolleyes:

Those are games were were going to turn up for anyway, it was just a gesture which was welcome but I think we need to be sensible on costs right now and what we use the clib's cash for.

We also travel more in cars now than was the case in those days.

Phil D. Rolls
16-12-2011, 04:37 PM

Look what seeing a decent following at Motherwell did for the performance level the other week.

Petrie!

Kojock
16-12-2011, 04:47 PM
First Bus & Lothian Transport are to allow Hertz fans to travel free anywhere in the Edinburgh & Lothians area meaning both companies save money on cleaning the inside of the windows as they will be licked clean prior to the bus returning to the depot. :wink:

Paisley Hibby
16-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Remember it well. Buses were subsidised by the club I think.

Beefster
16-12-2011, 07:51 PM
None of that is doing anything for the Motherwell finances. Innovative is all very well if it actually works in doing what you want to achieve.

You do know that not everything is directly about finances, right? Sometimes a decision or expenditure can indirectly improve turnover - Motherwell may get a better support to a tough game at PBS, keeping their good form going (in turn, keeping the attendances going) and help them finish third and into Europe (both meaning more cash taken in). It also creates goodwill amongst their customer base. All for a relatively modest, but welcome, gesture.

cabbageandribs1875
16-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Correct. A 0-2 victory courtesy of Brian Rice and Willie Irvine I think. I was one of the 4000 fans who took advantage the offer. What a dump Boghead was.

and a crackin goal it was IIRC :aok:

Hainan Hibs
16-12-2011, 08:23 PM
There's a part of me that feels sorry for Motherwell. They are having a cracking season, playing some great football, and most of all put on many incentives for fans to go to the game, but still a significant chunk of the town will blindly follow Rangers or Celtic who they will never actually go to watch.

JustSimplyHibs
16-12-2011, 09:08 PM

Why not do this for the game against Utd....some fans are moaning bout the game being on xmas eve, the club could give supporters (season ticket holders) the option of free travel to a £10 game, charge new membership holders £2 to travel....

on another note, well done to motherwell for their latest iniative, Utd for reducing ticket prices and Hibs for the introduction of a membership scheme....

good to see clubs trying their hardest to put bums on seats, just need the supporters to come out in numbers to show reducing admission prices for games and discounted travel is the way forward.....it boils down to the supporters to show this is the way forward to increasing the standard of scottish football....

Mikey
16-12-2011, 09:13 PM

When VAT dropped to 15% a few years ago Hibs passed the reduction on right away.

When it rose to 20% they didn't pass on the increase.

People only see what they want to see.

Saorsa
16-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Travel to games has changed a wee bit.

The majority would be asking Hibs for some petrol money if they did this.

I'd rather Hibs spent their money on giving us a team worth going to watch.:agree: