PDA

View Full Version : Yams The distillery

Ozyhibby
15-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Was told tonight by friend who works in the distillery that they were about to make an offer for both Tynecastle school ( the old one) and the PBS. He said his bosses were confident of getting both. The bloke who told me is a hearts season ticket holder so had no reason tomlie to me and he has worked at the distillery for at least 20 Years.

TrickyNicky
16-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Was told tonight by friend who works in the distillery that they were about to make an offer for both Tynecastle school ( the old one) and the PBS. He said his bosses were confident of getting both. The bloke who told me is a hearts season ticket holder so had no reason tomlie to me and he has worked at the distillery for at least 20 Years.

Imagine the whiskey that will come out of there.

Johnnie Walker - Ian Black label, tastes like turps and leaves you feeling like you've just been two-footed-challenged -from behind!
Cuttys Heart - the drink for the Jambo who wishes to drown his sorrows after the very soul of his team has been sunk to the bottom of the ocean.
The Famous Vlad - A half empty bottle of aged asbestos and malt matured in barrel with fish whilst someone shoots in it.

Lucius Apuleius
16-12-2011, 04:19 AM

Johnnie Walker - Ian Black label, tastes like turps and leaves you feeling like you've just been two-footed-challenged -from behind!
Cuttys Heart - the drink for the Jambo who wishes to drown his sorrows after the very soul of his team has been sunk to the bottom of the ocean.
The Famous Vlad - A half empty bottle of aged asbestos and malt matured in barrel with fish whilst someone shoots in it.

Whisky folks ken whits goin on likes:agree:

scoopyboy
16-12-2011, 05:49 AM

Not doubting you but would find it strange and a complete u turn in policy.

They sold their land with warehouses to Sainsbury for their supermarket a few years ago.

Prior to that they flattened a few warehouses to save on rates and laid a football pitch on it.

They were even talking about shifting the rest of their operation out of town.

Ozyhibby
16-12-2011, 06:25 AM
I've no idea. Was just passing on a story from someone who normally doesn't bull****.

Peevemor
16-12-2011, 08:46 AM
It makes perfect sense to me.

The PBS land is restricted in tems of being developed (in part) by the distillery. If the distillery buy the land, they can sell both parts together for a lot more than the sum of each part individually. In this day and age, it makes no economic sense (unfortunately) to have manufacturing facilities in town centre locations.

johnrebus
16-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Not doubting you but would find it strange and a complete u turn in policy.

They sold their land with warehouses to Sainsbury for their supermarket a few years ago.

Prior to that they flattened a few warehouses to save on rates and laid a football pitch on it.

They were even talking about shifting the rest of their operation out of town.

The North British Distillery has been investing heavily in the plant in recent years. Warehousing operations were shifted to West Calder, none of the demolition affected the whisky making process, current output is at record levels.

The distillery is not going any place soon.

Happily, the distillery predates Tynecastle by just a few months giving it preference over all developments over at the PBS that may affect it.

Even more happily, history tells us that one of the men who set up the company back in 1885 was none other than John Crabbie, the founder of the current main sponsor at Hibernian FC.

Happy days.

:cb

CraigHibee
16-12-2011, 10:14 AM
once the yams finally go bust (which shouldnt be too long) they can buy the stadium for peanuts anyway! :hibees

brog
16-12-2011, 10:26 AM
So is the song now " Vats, Vats, Glorious Vats " ?? Sorry! :wink:

johnrebus
16-12-2011, 10:43 AM
So is the song now " Vats, Vats, Glorious Vats " ?? Sorry! :wink:

The term is actually 'washbacks'.

:na na:

:greengrin

heretoday
16-12-2011, 11:07 AM
"No reason to lie to me"........

Loove it. Classic Hibs.net rhetoric.

Twa Cairpets
16-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Auld Pishy Breeks suffused with dribbled,spicy essence of councillor urine.

Vat70 A splendid vintage, bottled in the early seventies giving endless pleasure and a warm glow

Vat62 similar to the '70, a slightly younger bottling of the same spirit.

scoopyboy
16-12-2011, 11:30 AM
The North British Distillery has been investing heavily in the plant in recent years. Warehousing operations were shifted to West Calder, none of the demolition affected the whisky making process, current output is at record levels.

The distillery is not going any place soon.

Happily, the distillery predates Tynecastle by just a few months giving it preference over all developments over at the PBS that may affect it.

Even more happily, history tells us that one of the men who set up the company back in 1885 was none other than John Crabbie, the founder of the current main sponsor at Hibernian FC.

Happy days.

:cb

Good to hear they are doing well.

Between the years of 1980 and 1991 I worked for a company called "Pentlands Scotch Whisky Research" and they were based at 84 Slateford Road. This property belonged to NBD.

NBD were members of the consortium that owned us.

Albion Hibs
16-12-2011, 11:42 AM
I've no idea. Was just passing on a story from someone who normally doesn't bull****.

I heard a similar story a few weeks ago. It would make sense, effectively they both ransom each other. The execption being the dist is making money and the hertz have none. Vlad no doubt had housing plans for the site that would have made decent money but H&S being what it is wont get any easier / more relaxed, so Vlad may find any value in tynecastle is higher selling to the dist than a developer.

johnrebus
16-12-2011, 11:49 AM
I heard a similar story a few weeks ago. It would make sense, effectively they both ransom each other. The execption being the dist is making money and the hertz have none. Vlad no doubt had housing plans for the site that would have made decent money but H&S being what it is wont get any easier / more relaxed, so Vlad may find any value in tynecastle is higher selling to the dist than a developer.

You bet they are.

Joint owned 50/50 by Diageo and Erdington Group (Famous Grouse etc)

:not worth

NOLA
16-12-2011, 11:53 AM
"No reason to lie to me"........

Loove it. Classic Hibs.net rhetoric.

:cb:greengrin:agree:

blindsummit
16-12-2011, 11:55 AM

Vat70 A splendid vintage, bottled in the early seventies giving endless pleasure and a warm glow

Famous Louse - a soapdodging classic down Gorgie way

Pretty Boy
16-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say there is still a long way to go before this happens.

I know the players are having to Ardbeg for wages right now but Vlad has shown he's up for a Longrow with the PFA. Vlad Dalwhinnie just walk out on Hearts. If it does happen though it will Scapa bad year for the boys in maroon.

You have to cask yourself whether we are just too keen to have a go at Hearts, its like shooting fish in a barrel. We have been waiting a long time for the demise of Hearts and the Bells may have tolled, i just hope the distillery follows through with the bid and doesnt lose its Black Bottle.

Under Chris Robinson Hearts fans had a dram sight more control over the club, they may now realise a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bushmills.

And i'm spent.

blindsummit
16-12-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say there is still a long way to go before this happens.

I know the players are having to Ardbeg for wages right now but Vlad has shown he's up for a Longrow with the PFA. Vlad Dalwhinnie just walk out on Hearts. If it does happen though it will Scapa bad year for the boys in maroon.

You have to cask yourself whether we are just too keen to have a go at Hearts, its like shooting fish in a barrel. We have been waiting a long time for the demise of Hearts and the Bells may have tolled, i just hope the distillery follows through with the bid and doesnt lose its Black Bottle.

Under Chris Robinson Hearts fans had a dram sight more control over the club, they may now realise a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bushmills.

And i'm spent.

'hic!':bevvied!:

swazzie
16-12-2011, 12:55 PM
That heavy creaking sound and faint smell of p1sh that is approaching is Lord Foulkes suddenly becoming interested again.........

johnrebus
16-12-2011, 01:44 PM

And i'm spent.

Perhaps Hearts will find a Highland Park to play?

Or maybe a White Horse will ride to the rescue and Usher in a new era.

Whether they Glenlivet or die, there may just be some old Tomintoul to help them.

But I wouldn't hold my Stags Breath...........

Er...., sorry.

:aok:

Pretty Boy
16-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Perhaps Hearts will find a Highland Park to play?

Or maybe a White Horse will ride to the rescue and Usher in a new era.

Whether they Glenlivet or die, there may just be some old Tomintoul to help them.

But I wouldn't hold my Stags Breath...........

Er...., sorry.

:aok:

We really should't laugh, Scottish football cant afford another club to fall by the Speyside.

Vlad really has to try Ardmore to make Jura sizeable chunk of the wages are paid today, Glenfiddich the season on a high.

With the exception of Darren Barley and their leading Talisker man in front of goal Stephen Elliot i can't see many other clubs Macallan up about signing their players. At the end of the day though it's the players own malt.

I just hope they find the right blend of youth and experience, some of the lads in that dressing room have been to Port Ellen back and they can take Bowmore.

jst1875
16-12-2011, 08:38 PM

TYNECASTLE PARK - not to be confused with the pleasant HIGHLAND PARK,
this vile tasting concoction is neither pleasing to the eye nor
the nose.
packaged in a ghastly looking pink container this blend has a
distinct aroma of stale urine and aged asbestos. originally
distilled exclusively using vast quantities of imported lithuanian
p1sh,
tests on recent samples have been found to contain obnoxious
elements such as ' the (ian)black plaque' and 'the vile kyle'
the limited edition blend (400,000), distilled under the glare of a
single 40 watt light bulb has become somewhat of a
rarity within the 12 - 15 year old vintage due to the product
being interfered with by members of staff and management
during the ageing process.

HibeeMG
16-12-2011, 11:04 PM
TYNECASTLE PARK - not to be confused with the pleasant HIGHLAND PARK,
this vile tasting concoction is neither pleasing to the eye nor
the nose.
packaged in a ghastly looking pink container this blend has a
distinct aroma of stale urine and aged asbestos. originally
distilled exclusively using vast quantities of imported lithuanian
p1sh,
tests on recent samples have been found to contain obnoxious
elements such as ' the (ian)black plaque' and 'the vile kyle'
the limited edition blend (400,000), distilled under the glare of a
single 40 watt light bulb has become somewhat of a
rarity within the 12 - 15 year old vintage due to the product
being interfered with by members of staff and management
during the ageing process.

Effort! :top marks

greenlex
17-12-2011, 07:50 AM
The term is actually 'washbacks'.:na na::greengrinWashback 69 doesnt have the same ring to it.

Hibbyradge
17-12-2011, 07:54 AM

And i'm spent.

Great work! :thumbsup:

HiBremian
17-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Could be a cunning plan to use the limitless local supply (400,000 and counting) of raw material for a NEW whisky:

http://www.southinvest.gov.et/Publications/SSNPR%20draft%20Profile/A/%20Alcohol%20from%20Yam%20%20Cassava.pdf

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Surely the star drink has to be 1986? Extra special because they left it on the go for as long as possible and then bottled it at the last minute.

snooky
17-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Whiskey? :tsk tsk:

A hanging offence!

joe breezy
17-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Good stuff if anything is still being made in Edinburgh: I think only Deuchars is brewed in Edinburgh now

I used to like the smell if the breweries; reminds me of school...

So do Hearts but will be happy for them to disappear

Pretty Boy
17-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Good stuff if anything is still being made in Edinburgh: I think only Deuchars is brewed in Edinburgh now

I used to like the smell if the breweries; reminds me of school...

So do Hearts but will be happy for them to disappear

Theres still a few operations in Edinburgh.

North British Distillert, the Caledonian Brewery which also produces some McEwans stuff and the Stewart brewery as well.

You've also got Belhaven at Dunbar and Glenkinchie distillery at Pencaitland.

Bostonhibby
17-12-2011, 06:24 PM

:greengrin:greengrin 1986 limited edition double distilled, never opened. Best kept for a special occasion.