PDA

View Full Version : Hibs squad photo's 1916 -1920?

RoxburghHibs
15-12-2011, 08:50 PM
I know this is a long shot - but does anyone know if any squad photo's exist for Hibs between 1916 and 1920?

A relative of mine played for Hibs for those seasons but we don't have any pictures of his time at the club.

Thanks

Jonnyboy
15-12-2011, 09:19 PM
I know this is a long shot - but does anyone know if any squad photo's exist for Hibs between 1916 and 1920?

A relative of mine played for Hibs for those seasons but we don't have any pictures of his time at the club.

Thanks

Drop hibbybrian a PM as he might be able to help :aok:

monktonharp
15-12-2011, 10:13 PM

Thanksnaw mate, half the team were in kilmainham jail after the uprising

hibbybrian
16-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Unfortunately I don't know of any team pics available between 1916 and 1920, but there were only 2 players (Robert Smith and Thomas Kilpatrick) I know of who signed on Hibs books in 1916 and left in 1920 with another 3 - 4 pretty close to those years. If you let me know the name I can give you details of any games he played in and probably newspaper reports of the games. As a long shot, I have a few pics of players from that era so might have a photo.

Tom Wright produced a brief record of Hibs during WWI - link below - but none of the players mentioned meet your criteria.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:PPpQJp0RmA8J:www.edinburghs-war.ed.ac.uk/sport/documents/PDF_hibs_FC_WW1.pdf+&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjaCuIuQd6X3WKiRykuIitnT1czXN3TJn7MnJbF rLwW9feGg9kFnrva9nZA8_K0hOHrmwoR94mcI9HmQOGvgqw6dz 6kyd3FhcOyYFxlqvof-O-vmq3k_ez3gZ8QmcSNv1yrQOLk&sig=AHIEtbRMMcf2AHgBukBEya_IZnwJqBfWYg&pli=1

HIBERNIAN-0762
16-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks for posting this up, should clear up a few points that it was the hogwarts that won the 1st world war single handed

:aok:

lyonhibs
16-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Unfortunately I don't know of any team pics available between 1916 and 1920, but there were only 2 players (Robert Smith and Thomas Kilpatrick) I know of who signed on Hibs books in 1916 and left in 1920 with another 3 - 4 pretty close to those years. If you let me know the name I can give you details of any games he played in and probably newspaper reports of the games. As a long shot, I have a few pics of players from that era so might have a photo.

Tom Wright produced a brief record of Hibs during WWI - link below - but none of the players mentioned meet your criteria.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:PPpQJp0RmA8J:www.edinburghs-war.ed.ac.uk/sport/documents/PDF_hibs_FC_WW1.pdf+&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjaCuIuQd6X3WKiRykuIitnT1czXN3TJn7MnJbF rLwW9feGg9kFnrva9nZA8_K0hOHrmwoR94mcI9HmQOGvgqw6dz 6kyd3FhcOyYFxlqvof-O-vmq3k_ez3gZ8QmcSNv1yrQOLk&sig=AHIEtbRMMcf2AHgBukBEya_IZnwJqBfWYg&pli=1

That's a fantastic read :agree:

Mili Tant
16-12-2011, 08:57 AM
naw mate, half the team were in kilmainham jail after the uprising

Brilliant Youngy - you beat me to the punch, that's exactly what I thought when I seen the dates!

RoxburghHibs
16-12-2011, 09:45 AM

John Meaney and as far as I know he actually played for Hibs for the below seasons:

1916-17
1917-18
1918-19

hibbybrian
16-12-2011, 12:37 PM
John Meaney and as far as I know he actually played for Hibs for the below seasons:

1916-17
1917-18
1918-19

John played for Leith Athletic and Falkirk before he signed for Hibs in December 1916 and left in 1919.

I actually have a fair ammount of info on him as I was previously requested (maybe by Johnnyboy) on behalf of his Grand-daughter (Davina) for information about his career. The picture below includes John with his Brothers Abraham and James but is not during his time at Hibs.

I'll check out the data I have and get back to you but I'm travelling to India tomorrow so it might not be until next week. :greengrin

RoxburghHibs
19-12-2011, 12:16 PM
John played for Leith Athletic and Falkirk before he signed for Hibs in December 1916 and left in 1919.

I actually have a fair ammount of info on him as I was previously requested (maybe by Johnnyboy) on behalf of his Grand-daughter (Davina) for information about his career. The picture below includes John with his Brothers Abraham and James but is not during his time at Hibs.

I'll check out the data I have and get back to you but I'm travelling to India tomorrow so it might not be until next week. :greengrin

That's great thanks!!

I wonder if that picture is off Partick Thistle as checking the below website it looks like their strip off that time?

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Partick_Thistle/Partick_Thistle.htm

Jack
19-12-2011, 12:46 PM
In case some folk don’t know there are now panels up in the corridors of the Hibs Supporters Club, one upto 1910 then one each for the following decades. The 1910 -1919 one includes portrait shots of about a dozen players, although it doesn't say who they are – I don’t think.

On a related note … The Hibs Club also has a new panel in the entrance bit celebrating goals against Hearts – a must for every Hibby to see :greengrin

big-mo
19-12-2011, 07:34 PM
In case some folk don’t know there are now panels up in the corridors of the Hibs Supporters Club, one upto 1910 then one each for the following decades. The 1910 -1919 one includes portrait shots of about a dozen players, although it doesn't say who they are – I don’t think.

On a related note … The Hibs Club also has a new panel in the entrance bit celebrating goals against Hearts – a must for every Hibby to see :greengrin

The eleven players featured on the panel are the 1914 Scottish Cup team that were involved in the final against Celtic, the game ended 0-0, Willie Smith missed a sitter to win the cup, in the replay Hibs lost 4-1, the crowds were 50,000 and 40,000 both games were played at Ibrox.

Matt Paterson, captain and centre half, Neil Girdwood, Right back, Robert Templeton left-back, Alex R Grosart left half-back, Peter Kerr right half-back, Willie Smith outside left, William Allen goalie, Robert Wilson outside right, Sam Fleming inside right, James Hendren centre forward, Jock Wood inside left.
(sorry for plugging my book, but these are the type of facts that are in my book, the Hibernian History Handbook, still available for Christmas)

RoxburghHibs
19-12-2011, 08:10 PM
The eleven players featured on the panel are the 1914 Scottish Cup team that were involved in the final against Celtic, the game ended 0-0, Willie Smith missed a sitter to win the cup, in the replay Hibs lost 4-1, the crowds were 50,000 and 40,000 both games were played at Ibrox.

Matt Paterson, captain and centre half, Neil Girdwood, Right back, Robert Templeton left-back, Alex R Grosart left half-back, Peter Kerr right half-back, Willie Smith outside left, William Allen goalie, Robert Wilson outside right, Sam Fleming inside right, James Hendren centre forward, Jock Wood inside left.
(sorry for plugging my book, but these are the type of facts that are in my book, the Hibernian History Handbook, still available for Christmas)

I purchased a copy of your book from the Gyle last week - fantastic work sir!

How about a second addition with player appearance stats in the future - that would be tops!!

:o)