PDA

View Full Version : Question Thank you dad

Hibby cal
15-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Who was it that helped make you a hibby for life ???
I want to thank my dad for having the brains to make
Me a hibby when I was a boy.

His father was also a good hibs man too
And I have to say I have now with great
Pleasure added another 3 loyal hibbys of
My own

I have lived through the 80s 90s when these yams
Used to give it to us all the time , also an attempted
Take over.

So Please leave a message to the man/ woman who put
You on the path to happy hibbie after

JimBHibees
15-12-2011, 03:49 PM

My own

I have lived through the 70s 80s 90s when these yams
Take over.

Not in the 70s they didnt we horsed them for fun at that time.

Lucius Apuleius
15-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Cal, every post you make I keep hoping will rhyme!!! Where is Rupert when we need him? :greengrin

iwasthere1972
15-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Not in the 70s they didnt we horsed them for fun at that time.

I may be wrong but I think their record against us in the 70's was 2 wins from 26 and we gave them a real good hiding during that time. Not sure when it was or what the actual score was. :greengrin

JimBHibees
15-12-2011, 04:01 PM
I may be wrong but I think their record against us in the 70's was 2 wins from 26 and we gave them a real good hiding during that time. Not sure when it was or what the actual score was. :greengrin

Yep a 7 0 in the 70's. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
15-12-2011, 04:03 PM

My own

I have lived through the 80s 90s when these yams
Take over.

Good edit. What happened to the 70's? :wink:

I have the next door neighbours to thank for me becoming a Hibby. They were all Yam tramps and I didn't want to be like them.

iwasthere1972
15-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Yep a 7 0 in the 70's. :greengrin

Are you sure? When? Is there footage anywhere? :greengrin

Albanian Hibs
15-12-2011, 04:05 PM
My Dad :agree:

I can also say that my wee boy will grow up to follow the Hibees just like me.

MSK
15-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Have to thank my Uncle Eddie for making me a hibbie ...:not worth...my Dad was a :lolyam:

Andy74
15-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks for nothing Dad you auld Jambo git! :greengrin

Credit to the Grandad of a school friend who ran Lilywhites sports shop for bringing back a couple of Hibs tops that I then fell in love with.

And my old man wasn't that bad as he took me to Easter Road when it was clear that's what needed done.

I think my big sister took me to my first actual game. In the old terrace for the Tom Hart trophy. Hibs scored a late winner to win 1-0. She was only about 6 years older than me. Changed days! We'd probably be taken into care for that sort of thing now.

FranckSuzy
15-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Have to thank my Uncle Eddie for making me a hibbie ...:not worth...my Dad was a :lolyam:

Snap! My Uncle Dave rescued my brother and I. Mind you, his son became a Jambo when he went to school :idiot:

nonshinyfinish
15-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Are you sure? When? Is there footage anywhere? :greengrin

Is this it maybe? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjEsN4E85s

As for the OP, I too have my Dad to thank for passing Hibs down like a genetic disorder. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
15-12-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm furious my dad didn't take me along to the Nou Camp. :wink:

Billy Whizz
15-12-2011, 05:00 PM
It's my dad's fault. I'm 50 years of age and i haven't seen my team win the Scottish Cup

Pretty Boy
15-12-2011, 05:11 PM
My Grandad and my mum are mostly to thank(?)

My Dad played on a Saturday and then ran a team for a few years so has only become a regular attendee recently.

If I have any kids I'll be making sure they go through the same hell as o have, mainly because it makes you savour the good times all the more. Celtic and Rangers fans will never know a feeling like 1991 or 2007 or when we finally win the holy grail.

johnbc70
15-12-2011, 05:15 PM
My Dad took me along when I was 6 or 7, although his Dad was not really a football fan and both his brothers are yams. My son who is one already has his first Hibs strip.

lucky
15-12-2011, 05:30 PM
School mates. My family was/is full of the unwashed. Now I have converted lots of nieces and nephews to see the light. Bought all my nephews a half season ticket for Christmas as soon as they were 10. Then watched the kids get the bug and get a full season ticket one in summer. Only one wee get has switched back to the tramps

Hibby cal
15-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Good edit. What happened to the 70's? :wink:

I have the next door neighbours to thank for me becoming a Hibby. They were all Yam tramps and I didn't want to be like them.

Slip of the finger on the iPad but well spotted:shhhsh!:

HibbyAndy
15-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Whole family were/are Hibs die hards..There was never any doubt i would grow up to be a staunch hibs fan..I thank my family massively for that.

My nephew now 18 was a Jambo when i first clamped eyes on him aged 5...His whole family were Jambos but nae one took him to games ( My ex burds sisters laddie BTW) So i decided to take it upon myself to let him tag me along to Easter rd, He loved every minute of watching Hibs.. took him to the 6-2 game..And when the camera pans in on the old East as Oneil made it number 5 you see him and me going radge.

For 11 long years we were together side by side as season ticket holders..Now he has kinda lost interest in the last 2 or 3 seasons...I dont see him much anymore but i see him going past the window now and again and he knows where i stay so when he passes and he has his hibs top on and he sees me at the window he kisses the badge and raises his fist as if to say' Uncle Andy, Hibernian forever FT Hearts'.. Goose pimples go right up my neck!!..I made him a Hibee and his family have never forgiven me.

God bless the Hibs.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Old man for me too! My wee brother wanted to be a Yam, I suppose going to Craiglockhart & Tynecastle schools was quite difficult!
He saw the error of his ways with some "family influence" and now his 3.5 year old laddie is following a familiar route!

Sylar
15-12-2011, 06:05 PM
A combination of Aidan Smith and my University football coach in my 2nd year as an undergraduate.

I had gone right off football altogether at that point - was a Livingston fan since they moved to Almondvale in 1995 (didn't support anyone before that, despite my uncle's best efforts to get me to Ibrox)but had grown utterly disillusioned with the financial mismanagement and downright farce the club had become under the stewardship of Pearse Flynn and Angelo Massone. I had given up on going to any football until, for a large charity drive we had as part of our 2nd year squad honours, our coach (a Jambo) had just finished reading Heartfelt and encouraged us all to try this to raise funds for half a season. We had to pick a club we had grown up with no real feeling for and see if we could follow them and develop enthusiasm.

I really didn't want to bother at first, as I was really scunnered with football at this time, but in the team spirit, I chose Hibs and reluctantly went to a few games. This was during the Mowbray era when the football was a joy to behold at times and I very quickly got to enjoying watching the classy attacking side which developed during that era. With no lingering emotion to any other club at the time, I started following Hibs with some regularity and really enjoyed it, even going to away games in Glasgow, Aberdeen, Inverness, Tynecastle...The thing which really got me into it though, more than the football itself, was the welcome into the "family", whereby after 3 games of knowing absolutely nobody, I found a group at one game who chatted the whole way through and invited me to start joining them at future games, which made it that much more enjoyable.

Never really looked back and I've made some great friends and enjoyed some great memories along the way, even in a short period of time, with limited on the park success!

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-12-2011, 06:16 PM
The previous post is what its all about no matter who you end up supporting. A very similar experience to the one i've had re West Ham over the last few years.

iwasthere1972
15-12-2011, 06:42 PM
My Dad :agree:

I can also say that my wee boy will grow up to follow the Hibees just like me.

I feel a song coming on. :wink:

:singing: Oh my old man's a Hibby
He used to sit me on his knee
He took me to Tynecastle Park
In January 73
There were only 9 minutes gone
When O'Rourke gave Hibs the lead
The Hibs fans were estastic
My pants I almost peed

The second came on fifteen minutes
Alex Edwards got the ball
He crossed it to Alan Gordon
He stood at six foot tall
He brought the ball down on his chest
And slipped it in the net
The Hibs were now two goals up
Without even breaking sweat

We didn't have too long to wait
Before we grabbed another goal
Twenty six minutes were on the clock
The Hibs were on a roll
This time it was Arthur Duncan's turn
To stick it in the net
My dad had £10 on us to win
He knew he had won his bet

The Hearts fans they were singing
"We'll support you ever more"
When Cropley scored for the Hibs
It was twenty five to four
The Hibs fans they went ballastic
They couldn't believe their eyes
The Hibees were now four goals up
I almost dropped my pie!

We were still in celebration mode
When we scored to make it five
Arthur Duncan with a header in the box
It was great to be alive
The Hearts fans were astounded
Their team couldn't match the green
You could tell just from the look on their face
This was the best fitba they had ever seen

Fifty six minutes were on the clock
When Pat Stanton won the ball
He ran it past the Hearts defence
They were ****ed, they could hardly crawl
He kept on going and going
The Hibs fans thought he was brill
He crossed it to wee Jimmy O'Rourke
To make it six nil

Fifteen minutes of the game remained
When Alan Gordon made it seven
The Hearts fan they were in hell
But the Hibs fans were in heaven
Stanton, Cropley, Duncan and O'Rourke
Some of the finest to wear the green
Thank you Turnbull's Tornadoes
The greatest team I've ever seen :singing:

Coats on :bye:

P.S. I made it up. My dad never took me to football and I was 16 in 1973 :greengrin

SRHibs
15-12-2011, 06:43 PM
My Dad. Probably the only good thing he's done in his life.

stu in nottingham
15-12-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm furious my dad didn't take me along to the Nou Camp. :wink:

We all are D :wink:

Yes, thanks dad and grandad (and reputedly it went back further). There was never going to be any other way fortunately.

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-12-2011, 07:05 PM
My Maws side of the family all Hibees plus all school mates (like any other good Leith school)

Dad wasn't interested in fitba at all so just went along masel in 1960 my first game at ER a friendly against Bolton which we won 2-0 still got the programme :greengrin

Never looked back since....:rolleyes:

ginger_rice
15-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Unfortunately my old man didn't live long enough to see me become a hibby.

Although he wasn't a hibby as such, he was a football supporter (they had them back in the day) he was probably more of a Stirling Albion supporter, but loved to watch the famous Five so would try to get to Easter Road as often as he could.

I started by watching the Albion then at about 14 told my old dear I was going to Annfield and got the train through to ER, that was 40 years ago now.

Took my own son to see the Albion when he was 5 and he was bored rigid, took him to Easter Road a couple of months later, and he loved it, he's been a Hibby now for almost 20 years, so I suppose there must be something in the genes. :flag:

Hibercelona
15-12-2011, 07:29 PM
I'd like to blame.... erm i mean, thank my dad for making me a Hibby. :greengrin

Bristolhibby
15-12-2011, 07:31 PM
My Dad and his Dad before him.

Took it upon ourselves to take my cousin to games when he was wee (came from a rugby family with Jambo leanings).

No denying he is a Hibby now.

Got two wee boys myself now, and one day (when we are up) I will take them to Easter Road, with my Dad.

It will be a proud day.

J

Eyrie
15-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Not much interest in football in my family, but fortunately I went to a primary school full of Hibbies in the mid-70s.
:flag:

Jonnyboy
15-12-2011, 08:48 PM
My story kinda goes in reverse :greengrin

When I was young my Daddy didn’t take me down to Easter Road or sit me high up on his shoulder. He wasn’t a football fan and neither was any of my older siblings and so it was left to me to make up my own mind about which team I would follow. My pals at that time were a mix of Hibs, Hearts and Rangers fans with, strangely, not a Celtic follower in our group.

At the age of nine I was invited to join my mate Jimmy Clark and his Dad in attending a Hibs game at Easter Road and I grabbed at that chance. I recall little of the match but I have vivid memories of climbing what seemed like hundreds of stairs and upon reaching the top, looking down and seeing thousands of people surrounding the greenest, smoothest area of grass I had ever witnessed. Suddenly there was an almighty roar and I stood entranced as the home team took to the park. They wore emerald green shirts with white sleeves, white shorts and green socks and they looked absolutely bloody fantastic. That was it; I was in love with Hibs, with Easter Road, with my newly found fellow Hibs fans and with a every player in the team.

As I grew older I started to go to the games with my pals as Jimmy’s Dad no longer needed to look after our welfare but as I look back I realise just how indebted to him I am. Were it not for him I might have ended up a Jambo or a Hun and that does not bear thinking about! One thing I do wonder though is whether my love for my team would have been so intense had it not been Hibernian? Guess I’ll never know but if I had I would have missed out on the tremendous stories Jimmy’s Dad told us as we travelled to the games. The Famous Five, the League Championships the European nights and the beating of Barcelona and Real Madrid all, I suppose, meant my dewy eyed view of Hibs started way back then and despite the failure of my Club to recreate those fantastic days I remain as dewy eyed as ever.

The Sixties were fairly lean in terms of success although some fine players wore the green and I knew that better times must be just around the corner. Along came the Seventies and Turnbull’s Tornadoes and I was in heaven. A number of truly great players, fantastic football, unforgettable European nights and a trophy or two if not the League or Scottish Cup. At that time my Dad used to take me and my brother to home and away games but he never came in until we finally convinced him he'd enjoy it. Thanks to Eddie's Tornadoes my Dad was converted and rarely missed a game after that.

All those years ago when Jimmy’s Dad took me to see the Club he loved I little realised that many years later my own love for that Club would be as strong as ever and I wouldn't have it any other way :greengrin

erin go bragh
15-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Whole family were/are Hibs die hards..There was never any doubt i would grow up to be a staunch hibs fan..I thank my family massively for that.

My nephew now 18 was a Jambo when i first clamped eyes on him aged 5...His whole family were Jambos but nae one took him to games ( My ex burds sisters laddie BTW) So i decided to take it upon myself to let him tag me along to Easter rd, He loved every minute of watching Hibs.. took him to the 6-2 game..And when the camera pans in on the old East as Oneil made it number 5 you see him and me going radge.

For 11 long years we were together side by side as season ticket holders..Now he has kinda lost interest in the last 2 or 3 seasons...I dont see him much anymore but i see him going past the window now and again and he knows where i stay so when he passes and he has his hibs top on and he sees me at the window he kisses the badge and raises his fist as if to say' Uncle Andy, Hibernian forever FT Hearts'.. Goose pimples go right up my neck!!..I made him a Hibee and his family have never forgiven me.

God bless the Hibs.

:top marksQuality Neebur .

ggtth

zlatan
15-12-2011, 10:28 PM
My dad. My dad's a dick. A baldy dick.

1875STEVE
15-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Although it was my dad who made me a Hibby, I really have to thnk my grandad.

When my dad was younger, roughly 6 or 7, and despite staying on Albion Road, his two of his best mates were dirty huns.

They kinda talked my dad into supporting the Hun, but as my dad grew older, my grandad refused point blank to give him any money to go to Glasgow/take him to Glasgow to see them/let anyone elses dad take him to Glasgow.

He told my dad "It's Easter Road or nothing".

My dad gave in, and is as big a Hibby as you'd ever meet.

Sadly my grandad died when my dad was still a kid, so I never got to meet him, but he's buried in the graveyard behind the FF Stand, so whenever we visit, I give my dad a wee bit of stick, and thank my grandad while im there!!

Otherwise I would have been one of these gloating, glory hunting ****wits, it doesn't bear thinking about. :sick:

Riordans Boots
15-12-2011, 10:44 PM

I have my hubby to thank for being a Hibbie - and we have 2 sons = Hibbies

Enough said :greengrin

Same here - My dad is a Jambo :rolleyes:

iwasthere1972
15-12-2011, 10:45 PM
My dad hated football. Loved his horses.

There were times as a 10/11 year old that he tried to stop me from going to the matches but I was a wee scallywag in those days and always managed to "escape" and go and see the Hibees. There was one particular day when I was not to disobey but, yes you've guessed, I did it again and luckily for me it was a fine win at Ibrox beating the huns 3-1. I remember Marinello scoring that day and me being a solitary Hibs supporter in amongst all the smellies while the majority of Hibs fans were at the other end of the ground.

Hibees I love you. :flag: :flag: :flag:

huggie1875
16-12-2011, 07:36 AM

God bless the Hibs.

OUTSTANDING SIR :top marks

ShanksSaidNo
16-12-2011, 10:06 AM
I'll reserve any thank you's to my dad and granda until after the game on the 2nd.

Being a hibby is a way of life, it's second natute, however it has also brought me some large bouts of unbridled misery!

Hibby cal
16-12-2011, 10:17 AM

For 11 long years we were together side by side as season ticket holders..Now he has kinda lost interest in the last 2 or 3 seasons...I dont see him much anymore but i see him going past the window now and again and he knows where i stay so when he passes and he has his hibs top on and he sees me at the window he kisses the badge and raises his fist as if to say' Uncle Andy, Hibernian forever FT Hearts'.. Goose pimples go right up my neck!!..I made him a Hibee and his family

have never forgiven me

God bless the Hibs.

top class:not worth

mim
16-12-2011, 10:34 AM
It's my dad's fault. I'm 50 years of age and i haven't seen my team win the Scottish Cup

My dad's 93 and he hasn't seen us win the cup either. Make it soon please Hibs.

I am a Hibby because of my dad, my birthplace and the era in which I was born.
When you are born and raised in Sloan Street - a few hundred yards away from ER, you are unlikely to support anyone else.
When your dad takes you along at the age of 3 to the temple that is ER, there is no doubt who you will be supporting.
When the team you are watching has the Famous Five for a forward line, you ain't looking for something better elsewhere.

.........and, of course, once a Hibby always a Hibby. :flag:

Keith_M
16-12-2011, 01:47 PM
It would be easy to say my Dad is responsible but the actual credit goes to my Gran.

My Dad wanted to go to football matches when he was really young and my Granny decided the best team to see would be the Hibs (TBF, it was 1947) so she took him to every home game at ER for years. Seeing 3 title wins in his first 5 seasons, the Famous Five and crowds that were often in excess of 50,000 had him hooked.

Poor soul, I think he imagined it would always be like that :wink:

Hibby cal
16-12-2011, 02:30 PM

When you are born and raised in Sloan Street - a few hundred yards away from ER, you are unlikely to support anyone else.
When your dad takes you along at the age of 3 to the temple that is ER, there is no doubt who you will be supporting.
When the team you are watching has the Famous Five for a forward line, you ain't looking for something better elsewhere.

Totally agree , my dad hasn't seen them lift the Scottish
Cup either, but hes been at both the skol cup & cis cup
Wins with me.
Please god let it be soon
:cup:

jdships
16-12-2011, 03:25 PM
My uncle played for the Hibs, Leith Athletic and St Bernards in the 1920's and in 1940 he took me to Easter Road age eight.
Don't remember much about it but have "stayed the course"
Have since had two cousins and two distant rellies play for the " Green and Whites"

hibee81
16-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Also have to thank my dad, As a wee boy growing up in the north of Scotland ALL my pals were old firm fans so as you do you go with the crowd as i did. But then my dad stepped in..................Me "dad can I have some pennies to go swimming??"Dad "Whats it worth???"me "don't know, il do the housework"Dad "how about we write up a wee contract by which if you switch the mighty Hibees and never even mention the blue side of glasgow again you can have your money for swimming and a little extra for some sweets and a lifetime of heartache"me "deal"to this day he still has this contract in his pocket (about 20 years on illegible as it may be) and how glad am I.Thank you dad, now i have two of my own following the hibs.

RIP
16-12-2011, 04:08 PM
My paternal Grandad Hugh was living in Prince Regent Street when he fell in love with my granny Jane Black Ferguson, who was from Ferrier St (between Easter Road and Leith Walk - now knocked doon). Hugh's dad James was a Leith copper in the 1870's and Hugh was born in December 1874 - just in time for the Hibs to be formed. Hugh's grandad was a night watchman in St Giles.

My maternal grandparents, the Lows were Southsiders and had shops in the Canongate and St Patrick's Sqaure. As kids we went to the Pleasance Trust and Crossroads. Pat Stanton's cousins lived in the next stair and everybody seemed to know a Hibs player or Hibs youth. No cars in those days so almost everybody in that area was a Hibby.

I went down to St Pat's Church last month and the place was dripping with Hibs connections - in it's history and in the congregation. My wife's mum's family (The Waughs) are from that area and have strong Hibs connections. It's even in my skin now - I have a Leith Born Perth lad Gary Weidenhof tattooing the Southside and Hibs history into my back :greengrin

I don't think I could have been a Jambo if I tried

vercol36
16-12-2011, 04:44 PM
My grandad was born in the West Port, which for may years was full of slum housing. He was passed between many families in his early years, being unofficially adopted several times (as was common back in working class areas during the 1920s.) He always harboured a resentment to his real father - a Hearts player called John Murphy. As a result, he followed Hibs all his life. He died last Christmas but I still take a photo of him to every game so he can watch the Hibees. Maybe one day his photo can come to Hampden to see us lift the Scottish Cup!

scunnyhibs
16-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Grew up watching the highs but mostly lows of Scunthorpe Utd, home and away through the 80s, early 90s. Moved here in 92 having sworn I'd follow Meadowbank thistle as it would be the level of football I was used to!
Didn't bother for first couple of seasons as my rave phase got in the way of a lot of stuff but when I started wanting to go back to games I looked round my circle of friends and without exception the hearts supporting ones were uglier, less funny, less articulate, witty and intelligent and to be honest with a couple of exceptions not that close mates.
On the other hand the Hibs boys were better fun, more interesting, cooler, loyal, generous, better dressed and much better looking with a whole lot more charm, persona and stories to tell....and are the ones I'm mates with still. They were the ones I wanted to spend my Saturday afternoons with.
That decided it for me and I've had a ST in the east since 2003, walkup before that, member of supporters club, married in St Pats on Canon Hannans anniversary (which gave plenty of opportunity for Hibs references in all the speeches) and will be green and white till I die........saying that, I'm going to be torn when we meet Scunny in the final of the All British Cup in 2043 or therabouts!

So thanks Stevie, Del, Ivor, Raymie, James, Craig and the rest.

clerriehibs
16-12-2011, 06:03 PM
My dad ... who, having been a staunch hibby from piershill all his life, once said to me "we live in clermiston, so maybe you should support hearts ... they're more local" Possibly true, but it was eeksy peeksy the difference in time it took to get to ER / swyney on the no. 1!

After many years of mostly disappointments it has to be said, I'm also happy that my offspring all support the hibs ... slightly not so happy that my legacy to them is that they're also due years of disappointments! Rather that than any other team, though!

Sean1875
16-12-2011, 07:02 PM
all my Uncle Scotts fault :grr:
Dads more of a Hibs follower than a full-on fan and my Uncle took me to my first game, scored literally as i first walked into the stadium and just when we were about to leave right at the end to win 2-1, fell in love :thumbsup:

King Paddy
16-12-2011, 07:25 PM
it's great when you hear that familys are of the diehard Hibee variety, but unfortunately if we look at the drop in our attendences i am some what concerned that the younger generation like my own son 28 years of age have dropped out of watching rubbish since the cup success in 2007. Young people today have much more choice, and tv is killing our sport, so we need results to buck this trend and hopefully more familys will continue to follow the Hibees.

RIP
16-12-2011, 07:59 PM
it's great when you hear that familys are of the diehard Hibee variety, but unfortunately if we look at the drop in our attendences i am some what concerned that the younger generation like my own son 28 years of age have dropped out of watching rubbish since the cup success in 2007. Young people today have much more choice, and tv is killing our sport, so we need results to buck this trend and hopefully more familys will continue to follow the Hibees.

we need to be more like stoke fans who support their team in numbers and have the loudest home support in the UK. It should be about a family club and matchday atmosphere not results

thebakerboy
16-12-2011, 08:47 PM

Very much like myself , you must be one of the few suffering/loving Er for longer than myself. Back when my Dad came to Edinburgh from the north of Scotland and a sports fan but not a football supporter, his mates took him to ER one week and that other place the other week but this was 1946/7 and with the famous 5 where else would you end up. As a result from 1952 till about 1957 I went along to a number of games and was a Hibs supporter and then the Baker Boy arrived and I was a true Fanatic. So really although my Dad introduced me Joe Baker made my the fan I still am today. I saved my nephew in about 1980 after hearing he was going to that other place and my sister said if you want him to be a Hibbie you take him and he is. My daughter also joined me for a few years and was at the 1991 Skol Cup win but unfortunately her sons dad is from Aberdeen and has bought him his first red strip , I got him a Scotland strip but I am still working on a Hibby one . WATCH THIS SPACE:flag:

Twiglet
16-12-2011, 10:13 PM
I'd have to say my auntie and wee cousin, Nic. My dad is rugby man mainly, and his football team is Dumbarton (he's from Helensburgh), but my mums family are Hibbees. I'd go round to my aunties with my mum once a week and I'd see my cousin. Think it came out of that.

A special mention does have to go to my old drama teacher, Derek, though. He took me to my first game about 10 years ago with his brother Jim and a few others from my class. We had classes down at Leith Academy on a Saturday afternoon and we went up to the match one day after class to Hibs play Kilmarnock. No idea what the score was, I just remember that I was disappointed that I couldn't get a pie after half time and one of the Killie players really needed a haircut (IMO)! Because of that my auntie started to invite me to go along to the random games she'd go to.
Think it's really down to Derek that I'm now a season ticket holder now though, if he hadn't taken me to my first match I probably wouldn't have gone to games after that and eventually got a season ticket.

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2011, 10:41 PM
No Hibs tradition in my family I'm afraid.

I remember being a Hbs fan at primary ( Leith Links ) but we moved to the Borders when I was 7 at which time I and a lot of other folk had been seduced by one half of the dark side winning the European cup. Also my dad died when I was 9 so there was nobody to take me to football anyway and with 3 brothers and no money there was no way we could have afforded it.

But in 1975 two things happened:

1 ..... Celtic beat Airdrie in the Scottish cup final 3 - 1 and when that 3rd goal went in I decided there and then that I had no business supporting a Glasgow team and so the natural choice was to support an Edinburgh team ....... It had to be Hibs.

2 ..... My best mates dad ( who was a nominal Hibby ) took me and him to ER which was my first ever professional football match.

I have never looked back and despite the let downs, dross teams and all the other horrors that can go with following Hibs I have loved every minute of it.

In fact the only true sadness I ever get being a follower of the best football club in the world is reading posts on here from people saying they have stopped going or wont be back. I sometimes think that one day Hibs will run out of that tunnel and I will be the only one there to cheer them.

GGTTH

Pete
16-12-2011, 11:55 PM
I couldn't give a monkeys if we won the Scottish cup in my lifetime...and I'd like to thank my dad for that. He's seen us win championships, league cups, compete against the best in Europe and witnessed heavy wins and losses against all sorts of opposition.

When I hear people pine for this "holy grail" I just feel sorry for them. Ask yourself if this was a real issue before 1998? It was a statistic but years of jambo slagging and media coverage have made people insecure...and they now believe this is the ultimate prize. We should be more self-confident as a club.
Winning the Scottish cup will feel no better than our cup wins in 1991 or 2007.

My dad taught me to see all this Scottish cup hype for what it is...Jambo wee willie winkie bluster that should be ignored.

NAE NOOKIE
17-12-2011, 10:38 AM
I couldn't give a monkeys if we won the Scottish cup in my lifetime...and I'd like to thank my dad for that. He's seen us win championships, league cups, compete against the best in Europe and witnessed heavy wins and losses against all sorts of opposition.

When I hear people pine for this "holy grail" I just feel sorry for them. Ask yourself if this was a real issue before 1998? It was a statistic but years of jambo slagging and media coverage have made people insecure...and they now believe this is the ultimate prize. We should be more self-confident as a club.
Winning the Scottish cup will feel no better than our cup wins in 1991 or 2007.

My dad taught me to see all this Scottish cup hype for what it is...Jambo wee willie winkie bluster that should be ignored.

Sorry cant agree with that. I live for the day that Hibs win the Scottish cup not because other clubs supporters use the fact that its been so long as a stick to beat us with, but because as the 4th / 5th biggest club in Scotland it is quite frankly a disgrace that we havnt won it in over 100 years.

I would also be willing to bet that if we did win it that the scenes in Edinburgh when the team came home would dwarf anything seen after the league cup wins we have enjoyed since the 50s.

FWIW my dream for Hibs is to one day buy a Hibs top with a star above the badge.

Killiehibbie
17-12-2011, 10:58 AM
My Uncle Robert, who actually preferred hearts but grew up going to see both, took my to my first game 39 years ago yesterday to see 8 goals and a cup getting paraded I thought it was like that every time. I'm glad we stayed on the right side of town or who knows what might've happened:hide:

Niffy
17-12-2011, 11:15 AM
My old boy's a blue nose, my grandad was a Jambo (although he regularly entertained the Hibs 1st team in his Leith Walk flat in the 60's & 70's) but I was left to choose for myself.

I'd do the same with my kids too... free choice.
I think it's a bit off seeing babies in footy stuff..... being bred into anything can't be right. Just my op mind... just my opinion.