PDA

View Full Version : I met Lucas (Liverpool midfielder) today!

The Green Goblin
15-12-2011, 01:42 AM
I spent two hours in a small physiotherapists treatment room in a Sao Paulo hospital with Liverpool midfielder Lucas today. I thought I recognised him when I first saw him, and obviously then thought it couldn't be, but then he started talking about his Scottish club mates (Adam/Wilson) and his manager! It was just us in there, and the physio.

We chatted about Indian restaurants in the UK, leg injuries, living far from home and I told him his gaffer had a secret love of black pudding suppers and once played in a (charity/testamonial?) game for Hibs, while the physio shocked, stretched and iced our knees. He has a cruciate knee injury and is out for the season.

When I mentioned the Hibs, he said "Ah yes, Hibernian". That was quickly eclipsed by him telling the physio about playing in a side that beat Real Madrid home and away in the Champions League, but whatever. :greengrin

Just wanted to share it. It was unexpected and he was a nice guy.

GG

joe breezy
15-12-2011, 04:01 AM
Nice wee story, hope your leg's feeling better

Do you speak Portuguese?

Just asking as a company I used to work for is opening an office in Sao Paulo and my ex boss was asking me if I would fancy a move there (he knows I don't speak Portuguese but I'm not sure I could do my job without the local lingo)

Cheers

Spike Mandela
15-12-2011, 08:41 AM

Do you speak Portuguese?

Just asking as a company I used to work for is opening an office in Sao Paulo and my ex boss was asking me if I would fancy a move there (he knows I don't speak Portuguese but I'm not sure I could do my job without the local lingo)

Cheers

Nice wee move. Stick it out for a few years and take in the 2014 World Cup! Ronnie Biggs managed it and I doubt he spoke Portugese:greengrin

frazeHFC
15-12-2011, 08:51 AM
I love Lucas, class player! Must've been great to meet him.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-12-2011, 08:59 AM

Do you speak Portuguese?

Cheers

Jump at the chance GG does speak Portuguese - well I hope he does hes been there a while and his wife is from Sao Paulo ;)
I'm not fluent but my wife is originally from SP.
Is your company in engineering? I'd jump at the chance it'll be booming at least until 2016 you'd get to experience the wc in the place to hold it what's not to like.
But I'd do your homework first.
Take intensive -Brazilian-Portuguese classes before you head.
If you are in high tech or a US based company there will be folks that speak English but a little Portuguese goes a long way and you'll need it outside for sure.
I'd imagine your experience would counterbalance the lack of Portuguese.
If you are a project manager hold on to your hat as there can be quite a different perspective to rigour ;) and timelines but it all comes together in the end expect to hear more of this as the wc approaches ;)

Converse com ele em portugues GG?

Viva_Palmeiras
15-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Such a blummin common name Lucas Overthere maybe the Brasileiros like starwars;)

Springbank
15-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Looking forward to catching up over the Christmas/New Year break for the last ever Edinburgh Derby GG :=)

Safe travels

On a different note, seeing as it's the time of year, did Lucas sign your Calendar???

Springbank
15-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Thinking of getting a big banner together, saying either:

Hibernian FC : Edinburgh's only trophy winners 2007 to Infinity

or just simply a scoreline that reads

HMFC 0
HMRC 1 (Karma, 2012)

lyonhibs
15-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Do you speak Portuguese?

Cheers

Unless you've got a wife and kids tying you to Scotland, then I'd jump at the chance to move, well, pretty much anywhere, but Sao Paulo would by dynamite.

The lingo would be fine with a bit of effort - I went to France speaking "High school" French and came back fluent.

Anyway, back to the topic, it's good to hear that Lucas is a decent chap. He comes across as a moany, diving wee nyaff on the field of play though.

Sweep
15-12-2011, 12:25 PM

HMFC 0
HMRC 1 (Karma, 2012)

:top marks

JimBHibees
15-12-2011, 05:27 PM

HMFC 0
HMRC 1 (Karma, 2012)

That is a classic. :thumbsup:

The Green Goblin
15-12-2011, 06:52 PM

Do you speak Portuguese?

Cheers

Nice wee move. Stick it out for a few years and take in the 2014 World Cup! Ronnie Biggs managed it and I doubt he spoke Portugese:greengrin

Jump at the chance GG does speak Portuguese - well I hope he does hes been there a while and his wife is from Sao Paulo ;)
I'm not fluent but my wife is originally from SP.
Is your company in engineering? I'd jump at the chance it'll be booming at least until 2016 you'd get to experience the wc in the place to hold it what's not to like.
But I'd do your homework first.
Take intensive -Brazilian-Portuguese classes before you head.
If you are in high tech or a US based company there will be folks that speak English but a little Portuguese goes a long way and you'll need it outside for sure.
I'd imagine your experience would counterbalance the lack of Portuguese.
If you are a project manager hold on to your hat as there can be quite a different perspective to rigour ;) and timelines but it all comes together in the end expect to hear more of this as the wc approaches ;)

Converse com ele em portugues GG?

Cheers All. Yes, I speak Portuguese. It depends on whether you will have to use it formally for work, or can just get away with conversation. A smashing wee help for both, and best starting point, is the Brazilian Portuguese Podcast: well over 300 episodes with clear instructions and chances to repeat phrases - loads of different life scenarios too.

Sao Paulo is a hard, hard city to go and live in. Make no mistake about it. It would take one year at least to climatise, (it took me 4 to be fully at ease with it) and you will work long hours and have to adjust to the endless traffic jams and other such characteristics of a metropolis, but the thing is, there are so many, almost countless, advantages to being here too - the very strong currency against the pound, and some of the best medical facilities and restaurants in the world, to name but a few. People are lovely and the vibe is always switched to "intense", but, if you don't have a family, as the man said, it would be a life-changing move. If you are up for that kind of challenge/adventure....

Plus, we could start a proper Hibs Supporters club!! haha. There is one other Hibee here that I know, but three would make it official. :greengrin

GG

The Green Goblin
15-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Looking forward to catching up over the Christmas/New Year break for the last ever Edinburgh Derby GG :=)

Safe travels

On a different note, seeing as it's the time of year, did Lucas sign your Calendar???

HAHAHA. Thanks. No, but he spilled my orange juice. I didn't hear him ask what time the Chelsea game was on, presumably because it was that game he got banjoed in in the first place.

:greengrin

GG

majorhibs
16-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Cheers All. Yes, I speak Portuguese. It depends on whether you will have to use it formally for work, or can just get away with conversation. A smashing wee help for both, and best starting point, is the Brazilian Portuguese Podcast: well over 300 episodes with clear instructions and chances to repeat phrases - loads of different life scenarios too.

Sao Paulo is a hard, hard city to go and live in. Make no mistake about it. It would take one year at least to climatise, (it took me 4 to be fully at ease with it) and you will work long hours and have to adjust to the endless traffic jams and other such characteristics of a metropolis, but the thing is, there are so many, almost countless, advantages to being here too - the very strong currency against the pound, and some of the best medical facilities and restaurants in the world, to name but a few. People are lovely and the vibe is always switched to "intense", but, if you don't have a family, as the man said, it would be a life-changing move. If you are up for that kind of challenge/adventure....

Plus, we could start a proper Hibs Supporters club!! haha. There is one other Hibee here that I know, but three would make it official. :greengrin

GG

4 if your counting Rio, although I've not got myself a regular place yet. Been workin here 18 months, falar poco portugues and having worked a few corners of the globe have to say here tops the lot! Mind I spent a week in Sao Paolo and found it a wee bit too much like Europe for my liking, all the Paulistas with their work heads on hustling & bustling about the place, and I was the only one in shorts, did find a good few pubs around though and even one selling Guinness in Augusta just off Paulista, but laid back Rio does it for me over Sao Paolo every time. Mind I had to go for Palmeiras as my team over here, what else could it be when they are the verde e branco's?

Sean1875
16-12-2011, 08:05 PM

HMFC 0
HMRC 1 (Karma, 2012)

Absolute belter :top marks please, please, please :pray: