PDA

View Full Version : NHC "Anti Sectarian" laws passed

Keith_M
14-12-2011, 05:46 PM
The Scottish Parliament has finally passed it's so-called "Anti-Sectarian" laws.

Oh and the "No Hibs Content" is for the benefit of Mr McBride, in case he's browsing this forum.

Chuck Rhoades
14-12-2011, 06:13 PM
As its already been quoted this will be a nightmare to manage and the courts wont have an easy job trying to interrupt what offence was caused.

Bill passed by a bunch a clueless civil servants who haven't a clue.

Sir David Gray
14-12-2011, 06:15 PM
This will create more problems than we've probably ever had in relation to this issue and I'm still not satisfied that there won't be some unintended consequences to contend with either.

Chuck Rhoades
14-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Possibly the final nail in the Scottish Football coupon.

Keith_M
14-12-2011, 06:20 PM

You don't happen to use predictive text, by any chance?

:LOL:

Chuck Rhoades
14-12-2011, 06:22 PM
You don't happen to use predictive text, by any chance?

:LOL:

Yes, but even then it wouldn't predict that. I think tonights coupon was on my mind :cb

JimBHibees
14-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Might not be the best law in the world however it is a start. When you have both Rangers and Celtc fans complaining about it impinging their 'right' :rolleyes: to sign bigotted or terrorost related nonsense then it cant be all bad. At least there appears to be a genuine attempt to confront what is an embarressment to this little country never mind in a purely football context.

GreenCastle
14-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Might not be the best law in the world however it is a start. When you have both Rangers and Celtc fans complaining about it impinging their 'right' :rolleyes: to sign bigotted or terrorost related nonsense then it cant be all bad. At least there appears to be a genuine attempt to confront what is an embarressment to this little country never mind in a purely football context.

:agree:

Many fans still stuck in the dark ages - will maybe make them think more about how and what they do when "supporting" their team.

Hibercelona
14-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Will be as effective as the Anti-Terrorism laws. :rolleyes:

It's a real shame that in this country, such laws have to even be passed in the first place.

Seanair
14-12-2011, 07:50 PM

The BBC's TV clip of the Celtic fans who were not allowed to make a protest WITHIN the parliament today, showed that well-known supporter of IRA songs at Parkhead, Jeannette Findlay( Chairman of the Celtic Trust) mouthing off. Google her name to see her previous form.

If JF is against this Law, then I'm FOR it. This is the kind of person which the Law targets, not the majority of Celtic fans who recognise that their club is in deep trouble if the extremists persist.

mca
14-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Thats us not allowed to sing the Mercer song !!!

ginger_rice
14-12-2011, 07:57 PM
It may well be flawed but at last someone has had the gonads to take it on....note the "other" parties stance on current legislation being enough, if it was then there would be no need for new laws.

If the only thing that this legislation achieves is to waken up the ugly sisters to the fact that the rest of Scotland are sick to the back teeth of their "rivalry" the it's done it's job

iwasthere1972
14-12-2011, 07:58 PM

Don't think that's sectarian but it's certainly in bad taste and wouldn't be missed. Not by me anyway.

DaveF
14-12-2011, 08:01 PM

How come?

I'd say live TV, stupid KO times and expensive prices were doing a good job in killing scottish football.

Some laws prohibiting idiots from spouting centuries old abuse is a good thing surely? OK, they may take time to bed, or not even work at all, but they are hardly killing the game.

Eyrie
14-12-2011, 08:03 PM
It may well be flawed but at last someone has had the gonads to take it on....note the "other" parties stance on current legislation being enough, if it was then there would be no need for new laws.

If the only thing that this legislation achieves is to waken up the ugly sisters to the fact that the rest of Scotland are sick to the back teeth of their "rivalry" the it's done it's job
I think the other parties take the view that the existing laws are adequate if they are enforced, so it will be interesting to see how this new law will be used. Will we see fans being arrested at matches, or identified on CCTV to be arrested later? Or will it be used against some ned singing on his way home from the pub?

Hibbyradge
14-12-2011, 08:28 PM
It's a start and it gives the judges the opportunity to start making case law.

Geo_1875
14-12-2011, 08:39 PM
As its already been quoted this will be a nightmare to manage and the courts wont have an easy job trying to interrupt what offence was caused.

Bill passed by a bunch a clueless civil servants who haven't a clue.

The Bill is only drafted by clueless civil servants under the direction of Scottish Ministers. It was passed by the elected representatives of the Scottish people.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-12-2011, 10:39 PM
I know that this bill will almost be impossible to police, but after seeing a smug gathering of Celtc fans complaining that the bill wants to penalise football fans, that has really riled me. I struggle to see where football is relevant to any of the filth that they come out with.

Dinkydoo
14-12-2011, 11:16 PM

Good.

SanFranHibs
15-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Nationalism? To die an English b*****d ! Flower of Scotland exhorting us to fight and die for our wee bit hill and glen !

Maybe after each game if we have been really obedient we will get a Blue Peter badge on the way out.......Oh no, sorry...not Blue !!

And I still want the Gorgie slum dwellers to go under.....just thought I'd throw that in. Presumably it's still permissible. :wink:

PeeKay
15-12-2011, 07:34 AM
And I still want the Gorgie slum dwellers to go under.....just thought I'd throw that in. Presumably it's still permissible. :wink:

Not permissible - if some policeman decides that it is offensive.
Football is an easy target that lets the politicians avoid doing something about the real malaise of bigotry that has infested Scottish society, at all levels, for centuries.

Joe Baker II
15-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Not permissible - if some policeman decides that it is offensive.
Football is an easy target that lets the politicians avoid doing something about the real malaise of bigotry that has infested Scottish society, at all levels, for centuries.

Precisley why this bill is so flawed.

Golden Bear
15-12-2011, 12:20 PM
It's difficult to be serious about this article but as big brother may be watching then all responses should be guarded.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics-news/2011/12/15/bigotry-bill-fans-told-the-songs-they-can-t-sing-86908-23636149/

Keith_M
15-12-2011, 12:54 PM
It's difficult to be serious about this article but as big brother may be watching then all responses should be guarded.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics-news/2011/12/15/bigotry-bill-fans-told-the-songs-they-can-t-sing-86908-23636149/

Interesting, "in your glasgow slums" is offensive but no mention of the anti-hibs chant of "hoors, thieves and junkies" :hmmm:

sahib
15-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Interesting, "in your glasgow slums" is offensive but no mention of the anti-hibs chant of "hoors, thieves and junkies" :hmmm:

That doesn't apply to all our supporters.

Keith_M
15-12-2011, 01:17 PM
That doesn't apply to all our supporters.

In Your Glasgow Slums only applies to about 20% of theirs though.

ginger_rice
15-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Good.

:top marks Well past it's sell by date and TBH we're better than that.

jst1875
16-12-2011, 09:35 AM
from the daily ranger.

Gorgie Boys
A version of the Billy Boys again to the tune of Marching Through Georgia. Some versions have references to F****n blood, though others say “Hibee” blood in reference to Hearts’ rivals Hibs. Anyone singing the sectarian version is committing a criminal act.

so its ok for them to sing about being up to their knees in hibee blood but an offence for us to mention gorgie slums ! ..........................

basehibby
16-12-2011, 11:34 AM
I think the other parties take the view that the existing laws are adequate if they are enforced, so it will be interesting to see how this new law will be used. Will we see fans being arrested at matches, or identified on CCTV to be arrested later? Or will it be used against some ned singing on his way home from the pub?

But they NEVER are enforced (or very rarely anyway) and that is the point isn't ?

Putting anti-sectarian legislation specifically on the statute books will force the authorities to act in a similar way to anti-racist legislation - thus preventing what adds up to institutionalised bigotry in Scotland turning a blind eye and writing it off as "just banter".

I'm very happy to see the SNP tackling this thorny issue - the other parties have had several decades to do something about it but have done nothing - showing that they are either out of touch with the issues facing Scotland or too scared to rock the boat for fear of upsetting the drongo elements in their electorate.

Update - from reading the article in the DR it appears the legislation has largely missed the point - ditties such as "In your Glasgow slums" and "Sheep ****ging ********s" are NOT the problem - they are merely typical of football songs among rivals the world over and banning them is pointless and will achieve nothing other than damping down the atmosphere at football grounds.

The MASSIVE problem which is particular to Scotland is the Northern Ireland inspired bullsheight indulged in by the OF which, going by the article, is largely uncovered by the legislation.

Keith_M
16-12-2011, 02:40 PM

Update - from reading the article in the DR it appears the legislation has largely missed the point - ditties such as "In your Glasgow slums" and "Sheep ****ging ********s" are NOT the problem - they are merely typical of football songs among rivals the world over and banning them is pointless and will achieve nothing other than damping down the atmosphere at football grounds.

The MASSIVE problem which is particular to Scotland is the Northern Ireland inspired bullsheight indulged in by the OF which, going by the article, is largely uncovered by the legislation.

As far as I understood it, that is just the DRs interpretation of what should and should not be allowed.

In their opinion, it's perfectly OK to be up to your knees in Hibee blood but not OK to mention Glasgow Slums.

Fortunately, nobody has yet mentioned the Smelly Weegie song yet. :thumbsup: