PDA

View Full Version : Bad Knee Injury for Hogg (merged)

Mikeystewart
13-12-2011, 06:27 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16167727.stm

Pretty gutted for Hogg, was a great professional while at Hibs and played his part in the 07 cup final. Never the most talented player but always gave his best. Must be regarded as one of the better centre halfs that have played at Easter Road over the past 8 years. He came in for extreme criticism soon after the mass exodus of quality midfielders and shouldered a lot of the blame at the back during the teams decline.

Out of curiosity what would everyone's top centre half pairing be from over the past 8 years had they stayed at the club?

I wasn't a big follower of the team till about 2003 hence why I didn't round it up to 10.

Mine would be Jones and Bamba with Hogg :-) in 3rd spot

Franck Stanton
13-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Agree it is a shame about the injury, hope he is ok, however can't agree he was one of best centre halves we have had in past 10 years, and as we have had some right huddies during that time and still isn't in top half dozen, that is saying something. Still, we all have opinions.

Sean1875
13-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Jones + Bamba (pre-africa cup of nations) = brilliant.

cocopops1875
13-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Wish him all the best a good honest pro and always seemed a nice guy.

hibsbollah
13-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Hogg had some good spells of form early on in his time at Hibs and by all accounts was a good dressing room influence and a decent lad. Hope he recovers fully :aok:

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-12-2011, 07:02 PM
lLooked a real shocker. Have to say that what really annoyed me while watching the incident was the behaviour of the ref. Hoggy was already flapping to say that he had took a bad one but the ref seemed to have a first priority of getting the Arab player booked. The ICT players had to draw his attention to player on the deck in obvious agony. Priorities eh?

Mikeystewart
13-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Agree it is a shame about the injury, hope he is ok, however can't agree he was one of best centre halves we have had in past 10 years, and as we have had some right huddies during that time and still isn't in top half dozen, that is saying something. Still, we all have opinions.

Yeah I agree he was one of what would be considered at times as a huddie, but what Centre backs would would you say where better than him ?

Mikeystewart
13-12-2011, 07:53 PM
If I Ranked all the ones Ive seen in say a top 5 format it would be:

Jones
Bamba
Hogg
Caldwell
Hanlon

Struggle to think of any more, even Hanlon was tough to justify, think he is much more suited to a non attacking left-back.

S4uzee
13-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Humphrey Rudge

500miles
13-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Hogg was a very good centre half for Hibs.
Next to Jones, he was ideally suited. Hard player, decent reader of the game, and determined to win that second ball that would evade his more aggressive defensive partner.

Bamba was a good centre half in his own right, but he wasn't a team player. He pushed the line higher than, not only Hogg was comfortable with, but the fullbacks as well. Chris found himself exposed on these occasions, although he dealt with it better than Jones would have.

Furthermore, Hogg formed the most successful centre half partnership in the SPL, outside the OF, with Rob Jones in Mixu's only full season at Hibs. He then went on to be central to our best defensive run early in Yogi's tenure. CIS cup winner on top of that, and you've got a guy who is due a lot more respect from the Hibs fans than he got towards the end of his time with us.

Tranent Hibby
14-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Apologies if this has been posted before, a truly heart breaking read.

http://chrishoggthefightback.blogspot.com/2011/12/1st-post.html#comment-form

Westie1875
14-12-2011, 09:08 PM

That really is heartbreaking reading, good luck to our former Captain, he is going to need a lot of support over his recovery period.

lyonhibs
14-12-2011, 09:13 PM

I wouldn't say it's "heart breaking" just yet - feel really sorry for him, but professional sportspeople suffer serious injuries all over the world every day.

It's not quite the Darfur crisis - I'll look at his blog with interest though, hope his rehab goes well, but maybe a wee bit of perspective needs applied.

Hibby D
14-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Chris has started a blog - very moving thoughts and honest reaction from him as he faces up to what lies ahead.

Good luck and all the best to him :agree:

Sir David Gray
14-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Not quite sure it's what I would describe as "heartbreaking" to be honest. He's suffered a serious injury (which I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery from, by the way) but it's hardly a life threatening illness that he's been diagnosed with.

hibee92
14-12-2011, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't say it's "heart breaking" just yet - feel really sorry for him, but professional sportspeople suffer serious injuries all over the world every day.

It's not quite the Darfur crisis - I'll look at his blog with interest though, hope his rehab goes well, but maybe a wee bit of perspective needs applied.

No-ones comparing it to any national crisis, a man has potentially lost his ability to carry on his career in a job he obviously loves and has loved for years. Of course the whole country isn't going to break down and mourn for him, and its hardly gonna get national coverage but the fact is, it IS heartbreaking for him and his family.

Get well soon Hoggy

El Gubbz
14-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Anyone know what he actually done to his knee?

lyonhibs
14-12-2011, 09:51 PM
No-ones comparing it to any national crisis, a man has potentially lost his ability to carry on his career in a job he obviously loves and has loved for years. Of course the whole country isn't going to break down and mourn for him, and its hardly gonna get national coverage but the fact is, it IS heartbreaking for him and his family.

Get well soon Hoggy

Agree entirely :agree::agree:

Dinkydoo
14-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Think a bit if perspective is needed here, badly.

Upon reading the first post I actually thought the poor guy had been diagnosed with some sort of untreatable, terminal illness - which really would be heartbreaking.

hibeemikey21
14-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Not quite sure it's what I would describe as "heartbreaking" to be honest. He's suffered a serious injury (which I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery from, by the way) but it's hardly a life threatening illness that he's been diagnosed with.

By no means am I having a go, but did you read the post from today? The link takes you to Tuesdays post, which obviously isn't too detailed. He really pours his heart out an goes into detail in todays:

http://chrishoggthefightback.blogspot.com/2011_12_01_archive.html

Not trying to be distasteful in any way, shape or form, but did anyone else think "Gary Speed" as soon as they saw this blog? As in, maybe Footballers have since been advised not to bottle things up during emotional turmoil :dunno:

.Sean.
14-12-2011, 10:34 PM
No-ones comparing it to any national crisis, a man has potentially lost his ability to carry on his career in a job he obviously loves and has loved for years. Of course the whole country isn't going to break down and mourn for him, and its hardly gonna get national coverage but the fact is, it IS heartbreaking for him and his family.Get well soon Hoggy Great post Ace. All the best Hoggy.

Sir David Gray
14-12-2011, 10:38 PM
By no means am I having a go, but did you read the post from today? The link takes you to Tuesdays post, which obviously isn't too detailed. He really pours his heart out an goes into detail in todays:

http://chrishoggthefightback.blogspot.com/2011_12_01_archive.html

Not trying to be distasteful in any way, shape or form, but did anyone else think "Gary Speed" as soon as they saw this blog? As in, maybe Footballers have since been advised not to bottle things up during emotional turmoil :dunno:

I agree that it's really sad for him and his family and it's certainly not something that I enjoyed reading.

I just wouldn't say it's "heartbreaking", that's all.

leither17
14-12-2011, 10:49 PM
just read it just now and it was not a nice read hope writing it all down helps the guy through it always be remembered by me as a guy who was involved in the best day i have ever had following hibs

PPZPOL
14-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Anyone know what he actually done to his knee?

According to his blog he's torn his MCL (medial lig - i.e. inside ligament), ruptured his ACL (anterior cruciate lig - i.e. front ligament), ruptured his LCL (lateral lig - i.e. outside ligament) + cartilage damage + other bits and pieces of damage. Basically it's the worst injury a knee could take I would imagine, not good news so hopefully he recovers and gets back playing.

El Gubbz
14-12-2011, 11:16 PM
According to his blog he's torn his MCL (medial lig - i.e. inside ligament), ruptured his ACL (anterior cruciate lig - i.e. front ligament), ruptured his LCL (lateral lig - i.e. outside ligament) + cartilage damage + other bits and pieces of damage. Basically it's the worst injury a knee could take I would imagine, not good news so hopefully he recovers and gets back playing. ouch. Thought a ruptured cartilage was a sore one. Hope his hands can handle the months on crutches

SteveHFC
14-12-2011, 11:37 PM
All the best Hoggy :aok:

GreenPJ
15-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Very sad to hear of the injury and wish him well. If Hibs are the family club we aspire to be then I hope they send on a message of support to him.

hibiedude
15-12-2011, 06:37 AM
Terry Butcher said the injury was one of the worst he had seen, so it might not just be his season is over it could his playing days are over.

The_Exile
15-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Knee sounds as if it's wrecked and will need re-built.

Worst case scenario - He doesn't play football again, and he's physically unable to do any type of activity involving the knee

Best case scenario - 1 - 2 years out?

It is a heartbreaking read, the wrost part is that we all know Chris is a good lad, a good human being and an honest pro who;s basically had his f****** life ripped apart the past week, if you don't find that a bit upsetting then fair enough, but I feel for him, for his Mrs and his family who he will need to rally round him as he certainly won't be able to do this on his own.

Pretty Boy
15-12-2011, 05:34 PM
I've met Chris a few times and he's a top bloke.

Not going to get involved in any debate about his situation . It serious, its career threatening and if talking/writing about it helps then good on him.

Wish him the very best, a cracking pro, a nice guy and he is well liked in the game so will have plenty support from the football 'mafia'.

stu in nottingham
15-12-2011, 06:28 PM
A great shame to read that. I wish him well. I wasn't particularly a fan of his but he definitely seems to be one of the good guys. I feel for the lad and his family.