PDA

View Full Version : NHC Darren Fletcher

Frazerbob
13-12-2011, 02:23 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16165953.stm

One of the geniune good guys. Hope he's back soon, especially for scotland's sake!

.Sean.
13-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Someone very close to me had Ulcerative Colitis and had 2 major ops, it's very, very serious. Here's hoping he's okay.

H18sry
13-12-2011, 02:40 PM
:wink: http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?222920-Darren-Fletcher-to-take-extended-break Do keep up :greengrin

DC_Hibs
13-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Good luck Fletch.

Ozyhibby
13-12-2011, 02:48 PM
I have it and have had 1 major op and it is pretty serious. Can't see how he could play footy with it at the level he does. Just getting enough nutrients from your food can leave you exhausted.

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2011, 02:50 PM
I had that, it started in 2003 and was not diagnosed until a year later. Its a bugger i tell you, it completely takes all your strength away, you lose weight because nothing you eat stays in you, its out again in seconds.

Mine went on to crohns, and now with medication is controlled. Its a disease without a cure, but can be controlled with the right medication.

Mt sympathies go out to him, he has a real battle on his hands though, its trial and error with the tablets, some work for some not for others. Until he finds the right ones he wont be able to play football, in fact he wont really be able to leave the house.

PercyHibs
13-12-2011, 02:54 PM
2 guys I play rugby with have it. Very serious condition.

If anyone wants to know what the illness is about read this article by Lewis moody.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2055088/Lewis-Moody-This-demeaning-illness-life-sentence-I-m-determined-win-battle.html

heretoday
13-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Bad news. Always thought Fletcher was the ultimate professional. Not flashy but utterly reliable.

Ozyhibby
13-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Brilliant article and describes perfectly what it's like. Hope fletcher has a less serious case.

frazeHFC
13-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Shame. :( It is great seeing him play at the top level.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-12-2011, 04:55 PM
This disease nearly killed me. Two years in hospital, more than a dozen invasive operations, being fed by a tube into my chest culminating in a weight loss of six stones. When I was done, I couldn't cross a road or climb a flight of stairs. I fear he may need to set his sights fairly low in the short term. I am just happy to still be here as there were a few times when that did not look likely.

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2011, 05:03 PM
This disease nearly killed me. Two years in hospital, more than a dozen invasive operations, being fed by a tube into my chest culminating in a weight loss of six stones. When I was done, I couldn't cross a road or climb a flight of stairs. I fear he may need to set his sights fairly low in the short term. I am just happy to still be here as there were a few times when that did not look likely.

I too lost a huge amount of weight, 5 stone, but thankfully did not have any operations. I agree he has a battle on his hands, hopefully he has a mild case and he can return to the game.

hibee
13-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Sounds terrible, all the best to Darren and everyone else suffering with this.

soupy
13-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Aye good luck Fletch.

patlowe
13-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Such a shame for a guy who clearly works so hard to make himself fit and available for club and country. The good thing for Fletcher is that he has 4/5 years left on his contract and he will be well looked after by Man Utd and Fergie.

CFC
13-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Good luck to Fletcher.

Always sad to hear of debilitating illness afflicting anyone.

SteveHFC
13-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Good Luck to Fletcher :aok:

He is my favourite Scotland Player

Sir David Gray
14-12-2011, 12:16 AM
I've already posted this on the other thread on this subject but I just thought I would repeat it here.

I hadn't heard of this illness before today, although I had heard of Crohn's Disease, which seems to be pretty similar.

From what I have read about it, the illness appears to be pretty serious and if not monitored properly then it can even be life threatening in that people with the illness have an increased risk of contracting other illnesses in the future, such as colon cancer.

Hopefully he has a milder form of the illness and he can get back to playing football sooner rather than later as it would seem that his life is pretty much on hold for the time being.

Good luck to him.

Beefster
14-12-2011, 06:54 AM
UC is one of these things where you can be fine one day and on death's door the next. Complete nightmare. I've seen folk who have been that ill with it (or Crohn's) that they're practically begging for surgery. One of these things that is much more common that most realise but is never spoken about (and research into it is never funded properly) because of the stigma of bowel problems.

Hope Fletcher gets it under control, in whatever way, soon and gets back to paying. It won't be much comfort to him but him going public will raise awareness and hopefully, do some good for sufferers eventually.

Pretty Boy
14-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Shows what a pro Fletcher is that he tried to play through this.

Put the OF players who pull out Scotland squads with a broken toenail before reappearing for their club on Saturday to shame.

Wish him all the best.

J-C
14-12-2011, 09:33 AM
The worst scenario is he could be given a colostomy bag, which could meanpacking it in altogether, or treat with medication and hope for the best.

Ozyhibby
14-12-2011, 01:13 PM
The worst scenario is he could be given a colostomy bag, which could meanpacking it in altogether, or treat with medication and hope for the best.

There's loads of in between points that he will most likely fall into. With the level of medical care he has available to him I'm hopefull for him.

.Sean.
14-12-2011, 01:14 PM
The worst scenario is he could be given a colostomy bag, which could meanpacking it in altogether, or treat with medication and hope for the best. The medication does not work for everyone unfortunately. If he ever came to need surgery he'd get the diseased parts stripped out, a colostamy bag for a year, then he'd go for the big operation which is the re-construction. It's a serious illness, which lots of folk haven't even heard of.

J-C
15-12-2011, 10:44 AM
The medication does not work for everyone unfortunately. If he ever came to need surgery he'd get the diseased parts stripped out, a colostamy bag for a year, then he'd go for the big operation which is the re-construction. It's a serious illness, which lots of folk haven't even heard of.

My wife had a temporary colostomy bag, not for bowels or anything and was reversed a couple years ago but she went an online help site called Ostomyland. I've read a few of the peoples reports on there and what Fletcher has ( if it's what I think it is ) is fairly serious, he'll start off with medication to ease the inflamation, surgery might be the answer but if it's bowel and not intestinal then the surgery might weel need a colostomy bag fitted. The bag is to divert the waste away from the bowel while it heals, if this doesn't work, the a bag may be for life, this is all dependant on the seriousness of his condition, which we don't know yet.

Good Luck to him and hopefully it'll not be too serious.