PDA

View Full Version : Sparky 1 game ban

H18sry
13-12-2011, 02:09 PM
http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=721&newsCategoryID=1&newsID=9049 :rolleyes:

Frazerbob
13-12-2011, 02:12 PM
He showed his class, like when Deek gave it to the Jambos. Embarassing and costly to the team.

These guys need to learn that they are players, not supporters, when on the park.

SteveHFC
13-12-2011, 02:13 PM
******* Joke. :aok:

GreenCastle
13-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Not to sure why he did it - on live T.V and when we were losing - :rolleyes:

He didn't have his best game at the weekend but also didn't deserve the abuse he got on here - there is a player in there and over time we will see it.

Gives Fenlon a chance to play Galbraith this weekend I would assume - Galbraith needs to start performing more and showing he is good enough :agree:

Sir David Gray
13-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Can someone please explain to me how he can receive a suspension for doing something that is a bookable offence?

I don't get that at all and is not like the Sone Aluko incident either, although I still don't agree with the players caught diving being suspended either. At least in Aluko's case, he did actually help to alter the scoreline of the match with his dishonest actions.

How exactly did Griffiths do anything like that on Saturday with his gesture?

H18sry
13-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Not to sure why he did it - on live T.V and when we were losing - :rolleyes:

He didn't have his best game at the weekend but also didn't deserve the abuse he got on here - there is a player in there and over time we will see it.

Gives Fenlon a chance to play Galbraith this weekend I would assume - Galbraith needs to start performing more and showing he is good enough :agree:

It was 0-0 at the time :wink:

GreenCastle
13-12-2011, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=H18sry;3032761]It was 0-0 at the time :wink:[/QUOTE

:na na:

Did he not do it when being subbed also when we were 2v0 down ? Did something that got a reaction from the hun fans ?

hfc rd
13-12-2011, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=H18sry;3032761]It was 0-0 at the time :wink:[/QUOTE

:na na:

Did he not do it when being subbed also when we were 2v0 down ? Did something that got a reaction from the hun fans ?

He applauded them when he was making his way off the pitch to be replaced by Ross Caldwell.

SouthMoroccoStu
13-12-2011, 03:18 PM
He shouldn't have gestured, especially when it's was being shown on Tv (nowhere to hide).

Two wrongs don't make a right but..............

Boruc used to make gestures during games at Easter road and did he (despite being on the back page of the paper) receive any punishment? Fairly sure I've seen McGregor guilty of this as well!

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because it was directed at the Rangers 'fans' ?!? :confused:

Typical SFA :rolleyes:

lucky
13-12-2011, 03:21 PM
On club website Hibs not appealing the decison. Silly boy. But wont really be missed with his current form.

SteveHFC
13-12-2011, 03:22 PM
O'Connor/Caldwell to start upfront on saturday?

H18sry
13-12-2011, 03:24 PM
STV Sport @STVSport 11 mins Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Hibs accept Leigh Griffiths ban: bit.ly/uYZJ9S

DaveF
13-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Im OK with him getting the ban for that and as long as its applied fairly across the board then all well and good.

Mind you, Jelavic jumping into he hun crowd after scoring went without booking, so lets get things clear and when actions like that are yellows or not.

heretoday
13-12-2011, 03:27 PM
More time to practise shooting into the goal.

ALF TUPPER
13-12-2011, 03:29 PM
I was seated at the far end of the West on Saturday. Huns **** were giving it to him large and he took the bait. Silly boy.

I'd rather he had got it up them by firing in goals instead of making stupid gestures. :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
13-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Are we slagging him off because of pragmatic reasons (he got a ban so it hurts the club=a bad thing) or moral reasons (doing a GIRUY gesture is a bad or 'classless' thing to do)?I hope those slagging him off for the latter reason realise that the vast majority of Hibs fans regularly make this gesture to the vile travelling support we were subjected to on Saturday. Those in glass houses etc etc...

Bayern Bru
13-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Are we slagging him off because of pragmatic reasons (he got a ban so it hurts the club=a bad thing) or moral reasons (doing a GIRUY gesture is a bad or 'classless' thing to do)?I hope those slagging him off for the latter reason realise that the vast majority of Hibs fans regularly make this gesture to the vile travelling support we were subjected to on Saturday. Those in glass houses etc etc...

The argument is probably 'we're not footballers.' Or similar.

hibsbollah
13-12-2011, 03:42 PM
The argument is probably 'we're not footballers.' Or similar. ...which is an argument that irritates me. I've watched countless fans over the years get all aggrieved about a player making a wee gesture or talking back to the east stand, forgetting that 30 seconds before they themselves were screaming about paedophilia, the players sexuality or similar. The role model argument works both ways.

ScottB
13-12-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm sorry, I object to this.

Players are expected to take to the bitch, often to jeers, insults and taunts of thousands of grown men, but every now and then when one snaps and bites back everyone reacts like it's the greatest insult they've ever faced and run crying to complain to all and sundry.

If fans are content to give players dogs abuse, they should be more than prepared for the moment when one decides he's had enough and gives them a signal to do one.

.Sean.
13-12-2011, 03:53 PM

Players are expected to take to the bitch, often to jeers, insults and taunts of thousands of grown men, but every now and then when one snaps and bites back everyone reacts like it's the greatest insult they've ever faced and run crying to complain to all and sundry.

If fans are content to give players dogs abuse, they should be more than prepared for the moment when one decides he's had enough and gives them a signal to do one.
:agree:

Golden Bear
13-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Can someone please explain to me how he can receive a suspension for doing something that is a bookable offence?

I don't get that at all and is not like the Sone Aluko incident either, although I still don't agree with the players caught diving being suspended either. At least in Aluko's case, he did actually help to alter the scoreline of the match with his dishonest actions.

Very good question.

On top of that Griffiths made the gesture right in front of the linesman who obviously failed to spot it as well.

The player has been punished so maybe the Officials should also have something deducted from their match fee for their incompetence. Fat chance of that happening though!

heretoday
13-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Footballers are human beings, unlike Rangers supporters.

Steven_Hibs
13-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Footballers are human beings, unlike Rangers supporters.

:top marks:greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
13-12-2011, 04:28 PM
It was a stupid act bourne out of frustration, however the lack of consistency within the game reeks..........

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-12-2011, 04:32 PM
wish he had got it for over celebrating a goal.

Franck Stanton
13-12-2011, 04:55 PM

Exactly.:thumbsup:

givescotlandfreedom
13-12-2011, 05:09 PM
One of the Hun subs made a similar gesture into west lower when they scored their penalty which the steward at the away dugout found hilarious as he laughed at the Hibs fans so I look forward to him being punished. At the league cup game I think Neil Lennon shouted more at us in the stand than at his players.

Twa Cairpets
13-12-2011, 05:20 PM

It's not a cautionable offence - don't know where you're getting that from.

Law 12. Sending off offences. "using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures".

Doesn't matter if it's to a team mate, opponent or a supporter, he's been caught bang to rights.

greenlex
13-12-2011, 05:25 PM
It wasn't even a proper one FFS.:rolleyes:

Hamish
13-12-2011, 05:51 PM
I was seated at the far end of the West on Saturday. Huns **** were giving it to him large and he took the bait. Silly boy.

I'd rather he had got it up them by firing in goals instead of making stupid gestures. :rolleyes:

:agree: someone posted earlier this week that he should concentrate on his football and not on winding up the opposition fans.

Barney McGrew
13-12-2011, 06:01 PM
If Aluko hadn't been done retrospectively for his dive last week, then the chances are nothing would have happened to Griffiths either.

It's an attempt from the SFA to appear even handed.

Scouse Hibee
13-12-2011, 06:08 PM
It's not the first time he's done it either, needs to grow up and concentrate on giving the away fans it tight be frckin scoring a goal!

Seanair
13-12-2011, 06:29 PM

He was actually laughing at himself when lying on the ground (for losing the tussle with Wallace), but when he sat up all he would see was the massed ranks of Neanderthals giving him stick, no doubt with suitable hunnish gestures into the bargain. Only a saint would have refrained from replying the way he did. Cue outrage from the aggrieved "supporters".:rolleyes:

Twa Cairpets
13-12-2011, 06:46 PM
If Aluko hadn't been done retrospectively for his dive last week, then the chances are nothing would have happened to Griffiths either.

It's an attempt from the SFA to appear even handed.

No, it's a punishment for an offence. It's griffiths fault, no one else's.

Twa Cairpets
13-12-2011, 06:48 PM
He was actually laughing at himself when lying on the ground (for losing the tussle with Wallace), but when he sat up all he would see was the massed ranks of Neanderthals giving him stick, no doubt with suitable hunnish gestures into the bargain. Only a saint would have refrained from replying the way he did. Cue outrage from the aggrieved "supporters".:rolleyes:

Must be lots of saints playing professional fitba then as lots of players get stick but not many react like Griffiths did.

Barney McGrew
13-12-2011, 06:51 PM
No, it's a punishment for an offence. It's griffiths fault, no one else's.

I'm not disagreeing he was wrong, but as others have pointed out he's not the first to gesture to opposition fans. Others have got away with it in the past, and it is not entirely coincidental that he's been picked up for it a few days after a Rangers player got a retrospective ban using TV evidence.

IMO :wink:

JimBHibees
13-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Idiotic thing to do. Deserved punishment.

Twa Cairpets
13-12-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm not disagreeing he was wrong, but as others have pointed out he's not the first to gesture to opposition fans. Others have got away with it in the past, and it is not entirely coincidental that he's been picked up for it a few days after a Rangers player got a retrospective ban using TV evidence.

IMO :wink:

Sorry Barney, it is entirely coincidental.

The reason its not been picked up or apparently acted upon before, I'd suggest, is that the fast track system that has been put in place is very new. Before conspiracy gets shouted, remember this is the same committee that didnt retrospectively ban GOC.

Andy74
13-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Idiotic thing to do. Deserved punishment.

Correct.

Scouse Hibee
13-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Sorry Barney, it is entirely coincidental.

The reason its not been picked up or apparently acted upon before, I'd suggest, is that the fast track system that has been put in place is very new. Before conspiracy gets shouted, remember this is the same committee that didnt retrospectively ban GOC.

Aye agree with you completely, remember though GOC went before the committee because Hibs refused the offer of a two game ban, no committee hearing involved this time as Hibs have accepted the one game ban and rightly so in my opinion.

GreenCastle
13-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Luis Suarez was charged by the FA for his hand gesture against Fulham - did he get a one game ban?

Players all over the world are paid money to be professionals and act as role models to the people who watch them play - especially younger players - would you want your younger players doing this at their local clubs ? Simple no

Yes I agree players sometimes get over the top abuse but usually the best way to keep opposition fans quiet is perform well and ideally score :agree:

Saorsa
13-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Idiotic thing to do. Deserved punishment.Idiotic maybe but if a one match ban is a suitable punishment for nothing more than a silly gesture, then only a two match ban for the diving hun for cheating and influencing the outcome of a game seems is ridiculously lenient IMO. One is silly the other is blatant cheating.

NotoriousLor
13-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Fairly sure I've seen McGregor guilty of this as well!

Was it just me or did he not go nuts at the ball boy for not giving him the ball when it was a goal kick, shouting and swearing at a 8 year kid cause he had to get the ball himself, does he not get a ban?

Sir David Gray
13-12-2011, 07:55 PM
It's not a cautionable offence - don't know where you're getting that from.

Law 12. Sending off offences. "using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures".

Doesn't matter if it's to a team mate, opponent or a supporter, he's been caught bang to rights.

So why was Derek Riordan shown a yellow card, when he made exactly the same gesture as Griffiths made on Saturday, against Hearts?

Have the rules relating to this offence changed in the past three years since the incident with Riordan? :confused:

I'm not aware of that, if that is the case.

Eyrie
13-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Three thoughts on this

1 - Griffiths needs to learn not to react to the taunts.

2 - The Huns should be fined for the actions of their Neanderthals that provoked the gesture.

3 - I wonder if Hibs not contesting the ban is a sign of Fenlon's new regime with the players.

Twa Cairpets
13-12-2011, 08:18 PM
So why was Derek Riordan shown a yellow card, when he made exactly the same gesture as Griffiths made on Saturday, against Hearts?

Have the rules relating to this offence changed in the past three years since the incident with Riordan? :confused:

I'm not aware of that, if that is the case.

No, but the method of dealing with it retrospectively has - and for the better in my opinion.

Deeks could/should have been sent off as he left the pitch v Hearts prior to being subbed.

Twa Cairpets
13-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Three thoughts on this

2 - The Huns should be fined for the actions of their Neanderthals that provoked the gesture.

3 - I wonder if Hibs not contesting the ban is a sign of Fenlon's new regime with the players.

1. Agreed

2. No they shouldnt. All they did was a big "whheeeyyyyy" for him falling on his erky. I'm all for slamming the huns at every justified opportunity, but this isnt one of them.

3. Maybe, but more likely they realised they didnt have a case this time. Incidentally though, I was speaking to the manager of one the bigger club sponsors last night who is in contact with ER regularly. The word is that wee Pat is no mug, and was described as "having the ability to be quite intimidating". Good.

lyonhibs
13-12-2011, 08:23 PM

I agree entirely, but was the SFA ban not instigated by the fact that the gesture was caught live on tv, as opposed to some Hun Supporters Federation running crying to their mammy?

heretoday
13-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Luis Suarez was charged by the FA for his hand gesture against Fulham - did he get a one game ban?

Players all over the world are paid money to be professionals and act as role models to the people who watch them play - especially younger players - would you want your younger players doing this at their local clubs ? Simple no

Yes I agree players sometimes get over the top abuse but usually the best way to keep opposition fans quiet is perform well and ideally score :agree:

The role model thing is nonsense. Why should they be role models? George Best was just about the most loved footballer in the UK. Was he a role model?

Saorsa
13-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Three thoughts on this

3 - I wonder if Hibs not contesting the ban is a sign of Fenlon's new regime with the players.Point 1. agree

Point 2. IMO I'm afraid is nonsense

Point 3. They're no contesting it because he did it, would seem rather silly. IMO the punishment disnae fit the offence, should be a retrospective yellow but that's another matter.

GreenCastle
13-12-2011, 08:32 PM
The role model thing is nonsense. Why should they be role models? George Best was just about the most loved footballer in the UK. Was he a role model?

Footballers are role models - Maybe an issue right now is at Hibs we don't have many who the fans relate to or the younger players/supporters want to be like.

Surely you had a role model when growing up in football ?

Why should they be ? Well they are in the public eye most of the time and we pay their wages and they represent a professional football club in the top league in the country.

Regarding George Best - that may be your opinion and one example of a player who drank far too much and is sadly no longer here with us. As times changes with football and sport the role model image has changed and even though many players aren't saints there are far more positive Messi type role models you can name than the Best, Gazza types.

Sir David Gray
13-12-2011, 08:35 PM
No, but the method of dealing with it retrospectively has - and for the better in my opinion.

Deeks could/should have been sent off as he left the pitch v Hearts prior to being subbed.

So it's another one of those cases that if it's dealt with at the time by the referee, the player will probably be booked but if the officials miss it at the time and the player is dealt with retrospectively, he'll receive a suspension?

That sounds absolutely absurd to me.

I don't know of any referee who would give a player a straight red card for giving opposition fans a GIRUY sign.

macca70
13-12-2011, 08:38 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1080006/Celtic-keeper-Boruc-fined-gestures-Rangers-fans-Old-Firm-derby.html

Boric escaped a ban but was fined £500 for making a gesture to rangers fan.

This was after he had previously got away with just a booking after making a gesture to Hibs fans.

SFA are joke! I dont have a problem with a 1 game ban, it's the inconsistency in which they deal with teams/situations.

macca70
13-12-2011, 08:48 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7686626.stm

Dundee United keeper also just rec'd a fine, no ban.

There is a quote from George Peat at SFA stating they like to be as consistent as possible therefore Zaluska was given the same fine as Boruc.

Twa Cairpets
13-12-2011, 09:30 PM
So it's another one of those cases that if it's dealt with at the time by the referee, the player will probably be booked but if the officials miss it at the time and the player is dealt with retrospectively, he'll receive a suspension?

That sounds absolutely absurd to me.

I don't know of any referee who would give a player a straight red card for giving opposition fans a GIRUY sign.

As per above, it's a new disciplinary system in place now and yes, a player could/should be sent off for it.

Twa Cairpets
13-12-2011, 09:31 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7686626.stm

Dundee United keeper also just rec'd a fine, no ban.

There is a quote from George Peat at SFA stating they like to be as consistent as possible therefore Zaluska was given the same fine as Boruc.

New system - what happens from now on should provide more genuine consistency - at least I hope so.

heretoday
13-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Footballers are role models - Maybe an issue right now is at Hibs we don't have many who the fans relate to or the younger players/supporters want to be like.

Surely you had a role model when growing up in football ?

Why should they be ? Well they are in the public eye most of the time and we pay their wages and they represent a professional football club in the top league in the country.

Regarding George Best - that may be your opinion and one example of a player who drank far too much and is sadly no longer here with us. As times changes with football and sport the role model image has changed and even though many players aren't saints there are far more positive Messi type role models you can name than the Best, Gazza types.

Balls. Why the hell should footballers be role models?

Yeah I had a role model when I was growing up - Willie Hamilton.

Eyrie
14-12-2011, 06:08 PM
No they shouldnt. All they did was a big "whheeeyyyyy" for him falling on his erky. I'm all for slamming the huns at every justified opportunity, but this isnt one of them.

Fair enough. I somehow managed to leap to the conclusion that the away support were abusive.

GreenCastle
14-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Balls. Why the hell should footballers be role models?

Yeah I had a role model when I was growing up - Willie Hamilton.

I already explained that above in my reply.

I ask you why shouldn't they be role models and do you not care how future players act at Hibs ?

Finally are you happy LG is now banned for a mindless act at the weekend now? I do agree SFA seems inconsistent but if LG acted with half a brain then they wouldn't have to punish him.

Hibercelona
14-12-2011, 06:31 PM
I was very disappointed when he made that gesture...

It was a very half hearted attempt. :wink:

Sir David Gray
14-12-2011, 06:57 PM
I saw Lee Wallace rub his backside at a Hibs fan who was giving him some verbal on Saturday.

Surely that could be construed as an "offensive/insulting/abusive gesture"? :dunno:

I wonder if the cameras picked that up? :rolleyes: