PDA

View Full Version : Dunfermline this weekend

Jack
13-12-2011, 09:00 AM
The Pars were the catalyst / final straw which saw the demise of Hibs previous manager.

Could they be the catalyst / final straw for the demise of a whole club this weekend? :greengrin

RiseAbove
13-12-2011, 09:49 AM
I think the Dumfermline result on Saturday is irrelevant to the situation at Tynecastle, personally I think Dunfermline will go down this season, from what I hear it would suit them to be back in the 1st division.

Thecat23
13-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I think the Dumfermline result on Saturday is irrelevant to the situation at Tynecastle, personally I think Dunfermline will go down this season, from what I hear it would suit them to be back in the 1st division.

I've heard people say this before. How does that work? I always thought if you're in the SPL then you are getting more money plus the odd tv game and better away support coming to the ground. Not saying it's rubbish just wondered how that is :confused:

RiseAbove
13-12-2011, 10:12 AM
I've heard people say this before. How does that work? I always thought if you're in the SPL then you are getting more money plus the odd tv game and better away support coming to the ground. Not saying it's rubbish just wondered how that is :confused:

A bit like when Hibs were in the First Division, we were geting 13,000 at home and scoring plently of goals, people want to see a winning team, Dunfermline were getting better crowds when they were in 1st Div, there are a lot of other costs involved in being in SPL, bigger salaries to try and attract better players, more policing and stewarding etc.

jdships
13-12-2011, 10:26 AM

I understand the problem is the higher operating costs/wages in SPL set against the income they are able to generate.
If you look at comparable figures re attendances over the last two years at East End Park they have not risen as would have been expected.
Against that higher wages are being paid.
The problem is also probably due , in part at least, to the public's dislike of the present SPL league set up !!!
Their Chairman made it quite clear at the weekend about the financial disaster that was the "call off" of Saturdays game - instances like that effect cash flow dramatically
The population of Fife is in the region of 350000 and it has four professional dootball teams - Dunfermline, Raith Rovers, Cowdenbearh and East Fife looking for a share of that total

Difficult times ahead for Scottish football unless something/somebody can rescue it from the state it is in

:rolleyes:

hibeesdude
13-12-2011, 10:45 AM
It may have 4 teams but watch the buses pour out of Cowdenbeath etc to head for iPox or darkheid of a Saturday.....

Steve20
13-12-2011, 10:46 AM
A bit like when Hibs were in the First Division, we were geting 13,000 at home and scoring plently of goals, people want to see a winning team, Dunfermline were getting better crowds when they were in 1st Div, there are a lot of other costs involved in being in SPL, bigger salaries to try and attract better players, more policing and stewarding etc.

I keep hearing we got better crowds in the First Division, but did we really? I can't remember the attendences being better, apart from maybe one game against Raith at New year time and the very last game against Falkirk.

Sir David Gray
13-12-2011, 10:51 AM

Their average attendance so far this season is up by almost 1,000 on last season's figures.

Pretty Boy
13-12-2011, 11:03 AM
I keep hearing we got better crowds in the First Division, but did we really? I can't remember the attendences being better, apart from maybe one game against Raith at New year time and the very last game against Falkirk.

At the start of that season we were getting pretty poor crowds but as we improved and started winning games fans came back.

There was more than one occasion when we had the 2nd or 3rd biggest crowd in Scotland behind only whichever of the OF were at home and/or Hearts and Aberdeen. Crowds of 14 000 plus weren't at all rare.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Wouldn't a better result for us the weekend, be a Dunfermline defeat?:tin hat:

Sir David Gray
13-12-2011, 11:13 AM

It's a fallacy.

Our average attendance in 1998/99, when we were in the first division, was almost 2,000 less than our average attendance in 1997/98, when we were relegated.

1997/98-12072
1998/99-10286

Sir David Gray
13-12-2011, 11:16 AM
At the start of that season we were getting pretty poor crowds but as we improved and started winning games fans came back.

There was more than one occasion when we had the 2nd or 3rd biggest crowd in Scotland behind only whichever of the OF were at home and/or Hearts and Aberdeen. Crowds of 14 000 plus weren't at all rare.

We only got crowds of 14,000+ on 3 occasions that season.

Twice over the Christmas/New Year period against Ayr Utd and Raith Rovers and then at the final game of the season against Falkirk, when the league trophy was going to be presented.

Most other games were around the 9,000 mark.

Kammy1875
13-12-2011, 11:19 AM
I hope Hearts hammer Dunfermline on Saturday.

Would much rather concentrate on Hibernian FC staying up than focusing on that shower across the road.:agree:

bawheid
13-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Full list of home attendances in 98/99:

v Stranraer - 9485
v Aberdeen (LC) - 8020
v Ayr Utd - 9222
v Raith Rovers - 8850
v Hamilton Academical - 9696
v Greenock Morton - 9524
v Clydebank - 10172
v St Mirren - 9153
v Airdrieonians - 9732
v Falkirk - 12572
v Clydebank - 9064
v Ayr United (Boxing Day) - 14106
v Raith Rovers (2/1/99) - 14703
v Hamilton - 10233
v Stirling Albion (SC) - 9306
v Stranraer - 8649
v Airdrieonians - 9991
v St Mirren - 8959
v Greenock Morton - 8874
v Falkirk - 14801

Andy74
13-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Their average attendance so far this season is up by almost 1,000 on last season's figures.

The problem is they had budgeted for more of a rise and presumably are paying people or had made extra signings for the SPL as a result.