PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Board on Hibs.net

Andy74
12-12-2011, 09:26 AM
At the forum the board members confirmed that they would be more than happy to come on to Hibs.net and other forums and take part in a Q&A.

There as an appreciation that over the years there has been a number of things that keep coming up whether it be Petrie interfering, going for cheap options, not paying good wages, the Board signing players, whatever.

They did say that they cannot just keep commenting on every bit of speculation as they go on but that there were now a number of things that were being acccepted as facts or that there is continuing questions over which are now potentially causing rifts between the club and the fans.

So, how does this get moved on? They were very keen to see this go ahead.

PaulSmith
12-12-2011, 09:35 AM
At the forum the board members confirmed that they would be more than happy to come on to Hibs.net and other forums and take part in a Q&A.

There as an appreciation that over the years there has been a number of things that keep coming up whether it be Petrie interfering, going for cheap options, not paying good wages, the Board signing players, whatever.

They did say that they cannot just keep commenting on every bit of speculation as they go on but that there were now a number of things that were being acccepted as facts or that there is continuing questions over which are now potentially causing rifts between the club and the fans.

Get Fife PM access and we have a Q&A thread.

Andy74
12-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Get Fife PM access and we have a Q&A thread.

One of the things the Hibs media guy did say was that a number of things have been addressed in the past yet one or two who claim to be 'in the know' have perpuated certain things with a fair bit of success and so it would be far better for whatever can be arranged to be as wide an audience as possible so that more people can see directly the responses to some of these ongoing strories.

You will still get people I guesss who will say that the Hibs version of any event is only one side too but quite often at least getting to hear some of the facts direct will help.

Would the PM idea be a bit too limiting and lead to another reason for people not to hear or believe what is said?

Saorsa
12-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Get Fife PM access and we have a Q&A thread.Dinnae think it should be limited only tae private members.

TheEastTerrace
12-12-2011, 10:13 AM
I hate to agree with Chick Young but one of the main causes of rumour/speculation becoming fact is the sheer vacuum of non-communication from the club through the traditional press and media, or other sources. When does RP, FH or SL ever appear on the TV or radio, unless it's another managerial appointment. Hibs are a closed shop when it suits them and doesn't do them any favours. Journos will speak to fans and trawl messageboards.

I agree they cannot reply to every single thread of speculation but if it's a rumour that is damaging the club, then they need to be far more proactive with their public relations. It's more a case of react at Easter Road

CallumLaidlaw
12-12-2011, 10:18 AM
It shouldn't, but it will need to get controlled in some way so we don't get jambos trying to hijack it, etc

Hibbyradge
12-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Dinnae think it should be limited only tae private members.

I know why you say that, but there would have to be some way of keeping the undercover yams from hi-jacking something like that.

Also, a Q&A session with the board might attract huge numbers so PM only would control that too.

And if I know the admin team as well as I think I do, they'll be attracted to the idea too. :wink:

IWasThere2016
12-12-2011, 10:23 AM
I know why you say that, but there would have to be some way of keeping the undercover yams from hi-jacking something like that.

Also, a Q&A session with the board might attract huge numbers so PM only would control that too.

And if I know the admin team as well as I think I do, they'll be attracted to the idea too. :wink:

Yup. Has to be PM only. Another reason for sign-up also.

bawheid
12-12-2011, 10:27 AM
The Q&A session could take place on the PM forum and then be posted on the main board afterwards.

Peevemor
12-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Can we not set up a sub-group of .netters for any Q/A sessions with the board and give it an important sounding name?

Big Frank
12-12-2011, 10:36 AM
PM board for me.

An admin could then remove anything "sensitive" for example, before posting on the MB ?

Agree with Callum, should be some form of control, just to limit (as much as possible) interference from the merricks / overly negative Hibernian "supporters".

Saorsa
12-12-2011, 10:37 AM

And if I know the admin team as well as I think I do, they'll be attracted to the idea too. :wink:Well can it no be done by user group then with only those in that group allowed tae view/post. Any one of the pink persuasion can be denied access and any one thought tae be trolling can be removed from that group also. I dinnae think it fair tae limit it tae any one group of Hibs supporters nor should folk be forced tae sign up for private memberships (that should be voluntary) tae do so. Just my opinion.

MB62
12-12-2011, 10:48 AM
As far as I am aware, the PM is not restricted, it is there to help fund Hibs.net, so if you want to know what's going on, join as a PM and this helps everybody.

MSK
12-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Well can it no be done by user group then with only those in that group allowed tae view/post. Any one of the pink persuasion can be denied access and any one thought tae be trolling can be removed from that group also. I dinnae think it fair tae limit it tae any one group of Hibs supporters nor should folk be forced tae sign up for private memberships (that should be voluntary) tae do so. Just my opinion.Should it go ahead it would have to be limited & monitored therefore the Private member forum would be more suited.

On any given day there can be up to 2000 viewing the forums. A Q & A could poss double that amount and more thus poss creating a more difficult/complicated session than we would need.

However, on the eve of any Q & A it could also be possible to collect questions from non-pm's & ask them on the pm forum & when its over paste the session onto the main forum.

Those suggestions/opinions are solely mines & not of any Admins.

degenerated
12-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Can we not set up a sub-group of .netters for any Q/A sessions with the board and give it an important sounding name?

Something like the g10 maybe. Can we get blazers too?

Saorsa
12-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Should it go ahead it would have to be limited & monitored therefore the Private member forum would be more suited.

On any given day there can be up to 2000 viewing the forums. A Q & A could poss double that amount and more thus poss creating a more difficult/complicated session than we would need.

However, on the eve of any Q & A it could also be possible to collect questions from non-pm's & ask them on the pm forum & when its over paste the session onto the main forum.

Those suggestions/opinions are solely mines & not of any Admins.A reasonable suggestion, just so long as there is a way for non-PM's tae put their POV and questions across and no just have tae read the answers tae other peoples questions.

Danderhall Hibs
12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
PM board for me.

An admin could then remove anything "sensitive" for example, before posting on the MB ?

Sensitive? As in what?

Beefster
12-12-2011, 12:14 PM
As far as I am aware, the PM is not restricted, it is there to help fund Hibs.net, so if you want to know what's going on, join as a PM and this helps everybody.

To find out what's happening at the club I support and help fund via ST, Happy Hibee, food, drink and merchandise sales, I should have to pay for a membership for a website with no official ties to the club? So folk paying £500+ to the club every year aren't entitled to know what's going on but anyone paying £10 to a website are? Sounds like a plan to get the support back onside. Maybe I should give up the ST and buy another PM of Hibs.net and save myself hundreds in the process.

I've no issue with Hibs.net keeping whatever wee perks solely for PMs, as required - it needs to be funded in whatever way - whether through the advertising or memberships. Communication with the club shouldn't be one of those things (although I suspect that the club would be savvy enough to veto that anyway).

Big Frank
12-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Sensitive? As in what?

bawheid
12-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Maybe I should give up the ST and buy another PM of Hibs.net and save myself hundreds in the process.

It's a tricky one.

On the one hand you wouldn't be able to watch Hibs every week, but on the other hand you would get to read about a cat crapping on the floor. :hmmm:

:greengrin

MB62
12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
To find out what's happening at the club I support and help fund via ST, Happy Hibee, food, drink and merchandise sales, I should have to pay for a membership for a website with no official ties to the club? So folk paying £500+ to the club every year aren't entitled to know what's going on but anyone paying £10 to a website are? Sounds like a plan to get the support back onside. Maybe I should give up the ST and buy another PM of Hibs.net and save myself hundreds in the process.

I've no issue with Hibs.net keeping whatever wee perks solely for PMs, as required - it needs to be funded in whatever way - whether through the advertising or memberships. Communication with the club shouldn't be one of those things (although I suspect that the club would be savvy enough to veto that anyway).

I don't think Hibs.net will become the SOLE source of information about our club, just ANOTHER avenue to communicate with the fans.
BTW, could you let me know how you have managed to wangle free newspapers and a T.V. licence, which I assume you have done seeing as you don't want to pay £10 a year for private membership to Hibs.net, or do these come as part of your S.T. and Happy Hibby?

Jay
12-12-2011, 12:30 PM

Just my opinion here but I would imagine the club would want it monitored in some way. If there are a couple of thousand people on an open board trying to ask questions then an influx of yams appear it would be a disaster and fall on its backside at the first hurdle. I see what you are saying about having to pay to get the privelidge of asking a question but it was suggested earlier on in this thread that non PMs could forward their questions in advance. Cant see any other way to have it happen than in a controlled enviroment. Maybe there are other options than the PM board that I dont know of but whatever it is it will have to be a closed group.

Andy74
12-12-2011, 12:35 PM

It's just one route for the club to be able to communicate in a different way and to go some way to help bring the fans and club closer together. The same thing would happen on other sites if there was the appetitie.

I think the club would also say that they are available to answer any of these questions from fans at any time and then there is also the AGM for shareholders.

There are plenty people on here and other sites who seem to be in the know and have made certain claims about how the club has been run or have handled certain things. The board are very happy to speak about these things head on and it's something that should be taken up.

Any admis have a view? Conscious that there has been no response in terms of ideas or willingness on how this could be managed? Club seemed to have the same view that they had made clear previously that they would do this but have so far not had much discussion about firming this up.

Saorsa
12-12-2011, 12:38 PM
It's a tricky one.

On the one hand you wouldn't be able to watch Hibs every week, but on the other hand you would get to read about a cat crapping on the floor. :hmmm:

:greengrinOver the last couple of seasons I would have paid the 800 quid for the cat crapping on the floor and the 20 quid for watching Hibs.

Jack
12-12-2011, 12:39 PM

If Hibs.net, the Bounce or even the Hibs Supporters Association broker a deal with the Club is it not up to them how they deliver that deal to their members?

FWIW I doubt any of the ‘discussions’ will remain private for long or would be sensitive enough not to be published on a public forum. I don’t think its so much the information coming from the club that needs to be protected rather ensuring its bona fide Hibbies that are asking the questions. One way of doing that could be through paid subscriptions to these organisations by their members, their membership giving some degree assurance of their Hibbiness.

As an aside I find it rather sad that someone, like you who has contributed almost 6,500 posts and who obviously gets some degree of enjoyment from Hibs.net doesn't feel the need to contribute to it financially in order to keep it alive. Just my opinion, obviously not yours and I can accept that.

Spike Mandela
12-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Not another 'initiative' about communication from the board to the fans:blah::yawn:

Just get the OP to tell them to get get a decnt team on the park and any issue with fans and board will disappear. The time for 'talking shop' has stopped.

Beefster
12-12-2011, 12:54 PM
could you let me know how you have managed to wangle free newspapers and a T.V. licence, which I assume you have done seeing as you don't want to pay £10 a year for private membership to Hibs.net, or do these come as part of your S.T. and Happy Hibby?

I don't buy a newspaper but most of them are free online anyway. I don't recall ever finding something out on TV in the last decade that I hadn't already read online (for free).

HTH.

As an aside I find it rather sad that someone, like you who has contributed almost 6,500 posts and who obviously gets some degree of enjoyment from Hibs.net doesn't feel the need to contribute to it financially in order to keep it alive. Just my opinion, obviously not yours and I can accept that.

I contributed financially for a few years. Now I don't. PM me and I might provide a full list of my financial priorities so that I can make you a little bit happier.

Andy74
12-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Not another 'initiative' about communication from the board to the fans:blah::yawn:

Just get the OP to tell them to get get a decnt team on the park and any issue with fans and board will disappear. The time for 'talking shop' has stopped.

That point was made very firmly and they are well aware of that of course.

There was a feeling, that they acknowledge, that there are too many things that cirulcate about Hibs or how they are run that may also be getting in the way of there being a good relationship between fans and the people running the club and that for the sake of a few q and a sessions a lot of thse could be put to bed.

If there is no interest from Hibs.net then fair enough but there are a number of people with various opinions about things that are being offered a chance to fire away with what they know or what they want to know.

Maybe there's a feeling there would be little left to talk about if most of the long held theories were laid to rest? :greengrin

Jack
12-12-2011, 01:07 PM
I don't buy a newspaper but most of them are free online anyway. I don't recall ever finding something out on TV in the last decade that I hadn't already read online (for free).

HTH.

I contributed financially for a few years. Now I don't. PM me and I might provide a full list of my financial priorities so that I can make you a little bit happier.

No need Beefster. As I said I can accept that it is your choice. Perhaps sad was the wrong word, I am quite a happy chappy really :greengrin

:cheers:

BroxburnHibee
12-12-2011, 05:00 PM
It's just one route for the club to be able to communicate in a different way and to go some way to help bring the fans and club closer together. The same thing would happen on other sites if there was the appetitie.

I think the club would also say that they are available to answer any of these questions from fans at any time and then there is also the AGM for shareholders.

There are plenty people on here and other sites who seem to be in the know and have made certain claims about how the club has been run or have handled certain things. The board are very happy to speak about these things head on and it's something that should be taken up.

Any admis have a view? Conscious that there has been no response in terms of ideas or willingness on how this could be managed? Club seemed to have the same view that they had made clear previously that they would do this but have so far not had much discussion about firming this up.

We've all got a view Andy - like everyone else :greengrin

There's a few ideas gettin thrown around :wink:

Andy74
12-12-2011, 07:24 PM
We've all got a view Andy - like everyone else :greengrin

There's a few ideas gettin thrown around :wink:

So will the offer be taken up or is it a secret?

HNA12
12-12-2011, 07:30 PM

What was actually said Andy? As far as I know the club has never approached us about this in the past. We do have plenty of ideas as to how this could be done though.:greengrin

So will the offer be taken up or is it a secret?

If the club approach us of course it would be considered. It's no secret.

CallumLaidlaw
12-12-2011, 07:35 PM
What was actually said Andy? As far as I know the club has never approached us about this in the past. We do have plenty of ideas as to how this could be done though.:greengrin

If the club approach us of course it would be considered. It's no secret.

Basically that they would welcome an idea like a Q&A session on forums such as hibs.net. Someone (I think Andy) asked if Fife had spoken to Mikey about this and he said it had been mentioned, but if it was felt that it would be worthwhile then they would look more into it, as well as other ideas such as a supporters board. They mentioned they were now up and running on twitter, but Facebook was a nightmare.

Andy74
12-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Basically that they would welcome an idea like a Q&A session on forums such as hibs.net. Someone (I think Andy) asked if Fife had spoken to Mikey about this and he said it had been mentioned, but if it was felt that it would be worthwhile then they would look more into it, as well as other ideas such as a supporters board. They mentioned they were now up and running on twitter, but Facebook was a nightmare.

That's right. Wasn't me that asked about Mikey though.

BEEJ
12-12-2011, 07:37 PM
It's an interesting idea and credit to the club for giving it due consideration. Anything they stick on here will have a high chance of appearing in the press, so they would have to weigh up that risk.

The process would certainly have to be managed in some way otherwise the Yam low-lives who lurk on here and the permanently cynical amongst the Hibs support would tear the idea to shreds within a matter of days.

It certainly cannot be set up with the Hibs spokesperson entering into live 'thread dialogue' with other members on the site. The club would be the only identified participant. Virtually all of the rest of us can post from the safety of anonymity. Even with diligent moderators and the possibility of introducing a time delay, how would you ensure that a live dialogue would not be abused?

If the point is to dispel myths why not ask the club to deal with two or three such myths in any particular month. Their post(s) would be held as threads at the top of the first page (stickies?). These can then be read and responded to by others over the course of the next week or so. If the club chooses to come back on any of these comments, it can as and when it wishes to. But it would not be obliged to do so.

At the same time, the club could choose to interject in any contentious on-going thread to dispel misunderstandings that are brewing about recent club activities / circumstances. Again not to engage in discussion but to neutralise untruths before they take root.

I'll be interested to see how this develops.

Frazerbob
12-12-2011, 07:49 PM
On the Tartan Army board there used to be a guy from the SFA who would post now and then. It was usally to dispell any rumours about away venues, tickets etc. He never got involved in any discussions and was respected by the vast majority of users. Having said that, I haven't noticed him posting for a couple of years so maybe something happened to to cause the contributions to stop.

TheEastTerrace
12-12-2011, 08:00 PM

Jeez, how narrow-minded is that. Works very well for other football clubs and sports organisations. Yes, there are idiots on FB but they can be reported and banned very easily. Sounds to me they are very happy to 'push' messages out on Twitter but actively engage with fans on social media? Yet to be convinced. They better realise sharpish that this is where the next generation of fans are conversing.

BEEJ
12-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Sounds to me they are very happy to 'push' messages out on Twitter but actively engage with fans on social media? Yet to be convinced. They better realise sharpish that this is where the next generation of fans are conversing.
Fans have always 'conversed' with one another but seldom with a club spokesman at their elbow to keep them right on points of fact.

Why should a new medium for such supporter dialogue now change that relationship with the club?

Andy74
12-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Jeez, how narrow-minded is that. Works very well for other football clubs and sports organisations. Yes, there are idiots on FB but they can be reported and banned very easily. Sounds to me they are very happy to 'push' messages out on Twitter but actively engage with fans on social media? Yet to be convinced. They better realise sharpish that this is where the next generation of fans are conversing.

It was a resource issue. Would need constantly monitored whereas Twitter they can just do when required from their phones and no need to moderate or tidy up stuff. As mentioned they said it would just be a nightmare for them. They are happy to come on any of the forums so don't think it's an issue about just wanting to push stuff out with no discussion.

Fife said the emails he gets are already personal and difficult so the discussion isn't the problem.

CallumLaidlaw
12-12-2011, 08:06 PM

To be fair, Fife explained that Twitter was very easy for him and another to update quickly, on the move, while Facebook would take much more policing, which we don't have the resources for at present.

Edit - snap Andy.

TheEastTerrace
12-12-2011, 08:21 PM
To be fair, Fife explained that Twitter was very easy for him and another to update quickly, on the move, while Facebook would take much more policing, which we don't have the resources for at present.

Edit - snap Andy.

It was a resource issue. Would need constantly monitored whereas Twitter they can just do when required from their phones and no need to moderate or tidy up stuff. As mentioned they said it would just be a nightmare for them. They are happy to come on any of the forums so don't think it's an issue about just wanting to push stuff out with no discussion.

Fife said the emails he gets are already personal and difficult so the discussion isn't the problem.

Fans have always 'conversed' with one another but seldom with a club spokesman at their elbow to keep them right on points of fact.

Why should a new medium for such supporter dialogue now change that relationship with the club?

Fair points. But social media is not for just posting messages to fans. It is about conversation, dialogue, building rapport, engagement - something the club has lacked markedly in recent times. I agree it does require a full-time social media manager, and I know the club reduced staff in communications/media during the summer. However, I think social media is vital and a huge lost opportunity.

Put it this way, the pap I got through the post about signing up for a half season ticket recently was laughable and if they continue with that standard of communication with supporters, then they are doomed.

ronaldo7
12-12-2011, 08:25 PM

I thought they were very open, and transparent on Saturday. Nothing was out of bounds, and the session ran on for nearly two hours. It's a pity that not many people take up the option to go and speak to the board members, although Saturday's start was a wee bit early. I'm sure if anyone wants to attend they could e mail the club and be added to the list. (Nae bacon rolls though).

That's right. Wasn't me that asked about Mikey though.

That was me guys. Just wanted to confirm that Fife had spoken to Mike about the possibility of a Q & A on here.:aok:

CallumLaidlaw
12-12-2011, 08:32 PM
I thought they were very open, and transparent on Saturday. Nothing was out of bounds, and the session ran on for nearly two hours. It's a pity that not many people take up the option to go a speak to the board members, although Saturday's start was a wee bit early. I'm sure if anyone wants to attend they could e mail the club and be added to the list. (Nae bacon rolls though).

That was me guys. Just wanted to confirm that Fife had spoken to Mike about the possibility of a Q & A on here.:aok:

Yeah, both me and my dad really enjoyed it. Dunno how many we're invited, but I thought the numbers were about right to allow everyone to take part. My dad commented that he didn't feel we had been invited because the club felt they had to, but because they genuinely seemed interested to get our ideas and answer our questions.

down-the-slope
12-12-2011, 08:32 PM
The Q&A session could take place on the PM forum and then be posted on the main board afterwards.

:agree: and then a locked thread of it stuck on MB

By the way in case anyone is wondering - the PM board carries as varied views as the site as a whole, in case anyone thinks this would give a scewed bias towards / against the hierarcy at the club, but manages not to degenerate to abuse (not very often any how)

This would prevent hijacking...which may cause it to be seen as a failure and so not repeated by club.....

ronaldo7
12-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah, both me and my dad really enjoyed it. Dunno how many we're invited, but I thought the numbers were about right to allow everyone to take part. My dad commented that he didn't feel we had been invited because the club felt they had to, but because they genuinely seemed interested to get our ideas and answer our questions.

:agree:

Andy74
12-12-2011, 08:58 PM
I thought they were very open, and transparent on Saturday. Nothing was out of bounds, and the session ran on for nearly two hours. It's a pity that not many people take up the option to go and speak to the board members, although Saturday's start was a wee bit early. I'm sure if anyone wants to attend they could e mail the club and be added to the list. (Nae bacon rolls though).

I was surprised how open they were. And it wasn't just on the communication topic. They were happy to talk about the manager, players, anything really.

ronaldo7
12-12-2011, 09:01 PM
I was surprised how open they were. And it wasn't just on the communication topic. They were happy to talk about the manager, players, anything really.

Even their Brother-in-law:wink:

yekimevol
12-12-2011, 09:03 PM
i think that it would be great but someone would have to fliter the questions. a selection of fans who would stop the stupid questions would be perfect.

Eyrie
12-12-2011, 09:57 PM
A Q&A session implies a chat room set up with instant dialogue. I think what would be more appropriate to a message board would be a weekly selection of (say ten) questions for the Club to answer, with the opportunity to ask further questions or follow up answers the next week.

It would mean that the moderators would need to filter the questions to avoid duplication by posters or the same topic being repeatedly aired.

RIP
13-12-2011, 12:45 AM
As someone who was at the first forum I personally find the idea of the management of the football club spending time on an internet messageboard a poor use of their time

Instead I would urge the club to get this Shadow Board set up pronto (They seemed keen)

The Supporters who are elected to it can then use messageboards to poll for ideas & proposals and communicate minutes back to the wider support. I created a set of minutes from the first forum and it was posted on here, on the bounce and Facebook within 48 hours

The club should focus on maximising face to face opportunities to talk to supporters. They also stated that they wanted regular pre-match forums to be "part of the way we do things here at Hibs"

Beefster
13-12-2011, 06:55 AM

It is indeed and, given the number of strong opinions on here, the Bounce and in the stands, I don't really understandhow they struggle to get numbers along. I'll happy attend any future one and would have gone on Saturday had it not had the double whammy of Mrs Beefster's birthday and lots of work in the lead up to Christmas.

dp00
13-12-2011, 07:22 AM
They could do a q & a session on both hibs.net and the bounce ... They both have private member forums and are the 2 main fans forums

Saorsa
13-12-2011, 08:15 AM
As someone who was at the first forum I personally find the idea of the management of the football club spending time on an internet messageboard a poor use of their time

Instead I would urge the club to get this Shadow Board set up pronto (They seemed keen)

The Supporters who are elected to it can then use messageboards to poll for ideas & proposals and communicate minutes back to the wider support. I created a set of minutes from the first forum and it was posted on here, on the bounce and Facebook within 48 hours

The club should focus on maximising face to face opportunities to talk to supporters. They also stated that they wanted regular pre-match forums to be "part of the way we do things here at Hibs"I'd be interested tae know who is going tae be electing these supporters and how is it going tae be done. I also disagree with your first point.

Hainan Hibs
13-12-2011, 08:25 AM
If the £10 guarantees you a bottle of smugness plus the blazer and a membership badge then count my tenner in the post:agree:

matty_f
13-12-2011, 08:46 AM
If the £10 guarantees you a bottle of smugness plus the blazer and a membership badge then count my tenner in the post:agree: I'm afraid it's just the smugness, but it is a right good kind of smugness. :agree:

Saorsa
13-12-2011, 08:50 AM
I'm afraid it's just the smugness, but it is a right good kind of smugness. :agree:Damn :grr: I thought with the amount of time I've been there I'd at least get a badge by now. :boo hoo:

matty_f
13-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Damn :grr: I thought with the amount of time I've been there I'd at least get a badge by now. :boo hoo: Even the admin pricks dinnae get badges. (we all get blazers though, with sew-on patches. Boom!)

Phil D. Rolls
13-12-2011, 09:07 AM
I'd be interested tae know who is going tae be electing these supporters and how is it going tae be done. I also disagree with your first point.

Well said, this idea of only putting the good boys up to make a point destroys the whole idea of an open forum. If someone posts nonsense then other contributors can shoot them down in flames. The concept of "fans spokespersons" would take us down the road of numpties hoping for a blazer and a seat on the bus, kind of Yammish IMO.

Beefster
13-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Well said, this idea of only putting the good boys up to make a point destroys the whole idea of an open forum. If someone posts nonsense then other contributors can shoot them down in flames. The concept of "fans spokespersons" would take us down the road of numpties hoping for a blazer and a seat on the bus, kind of Yammish IMO.

Absolutely. Fans 'representatives' inevitably either become one of the establishment or start giving their own (and their buddies) opinions as a priority.

The club need to engage the support - not a minuscule subset of it.

Andy74
13-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Absolutely. Fans 'representatives' inevitably either become one of the establishment or start giving their own (and their buddies) opinions as a priority.

The club need to engage the support - not a minuscule subset of it.

It's a good point and one that was acknowledged. As I think was also said at the first forum, anyone who wants to be on the shadow board probably shouldn't be considered.

I can't be bothered with all these associations and committees and factions but then again, how would you go about getting a group of say 10 people to help feed in what the supportersd are thinking to the board, in this formal way that will actually result in agenda items being added to the main board meetings?

The suggestion was that you would need a rep from each of the main supporters groups and web sites to try and gauge a good cross section.

Of course the problem is then who do you get from these places - do the memebers of each of thes things have to vote people in?

And yes, the danger is people go in their with their own agendas.

It isd a tricky one but I genuinely get the impression they are just looking for ways to really get an open avenue for discussion both ways and for it to include as many people as people.

The forums for example have been open to all to get direct access to the Board and only a couple of handfuls have done so up to now. To be fair I didn't know much about it until late on so maybe the communication of even that needs looked at.

Bad Martini
13-12-2011, 11:26 AM
You want to dispell myths, lies and pish and have a chat with the people (who ARE the club, NOT, the pitch, stadium, pie stand workers, players, manager, directors or anyone else individually but COLLECTIVELY...one) then you speak to everyone, publicly.

The ********s can be outed and the overly negative, passing yams etc can also be outed. It would gain a lot of respect and would be a good genuine step forward if nothing is off limits and folk can talk about all things Hibs.

Get the **** out the way, take some flak if flak is what people have.............THEN, crucially, move on. Give folk their chance to air their grievances and questions, be fair, take it (within reason) on the chin then its all square. Then the folk who love to go on and on and on negatively can be told to STFU and the club have done their bit.

Do that, and mass respect from the masses.

Incidentally, social media does work. At the risk of Andy74 taking the huff, Liverpool do it all the time on Facebook and Twitter and actively ecourage folk to send them their pics, photos, videos etc of the matches, comments etc. Folk say their piece, share the good times and the bad then move on. There is nae "them and us" and its a healthy situation. Can only be good thing.

Then, the serial moaning faced bams have nowhere to hide. It COULD be a stroke of genius if done right and would beat any stupid PR executive's campaign to get buy in to the family home and all that malarkey. Folk only want whats best for Hibs and to talk all things green and white. A wee bit respect of both sides and then progress forward, as one. Nobody could disagree with that principle but a rallying call from petrie every now and then and the whole parent/child relationship we've seen in the past is not what the people want.

GGTTH YA BASS.

ENDOF :aok:

Andy74
13-12-2011, 11:54 AM
You want to dispell myths, lies and pish and have a chat with the people (who ARE the club, NOT, the pitch, stadium, pie stand workers, players, manager, directors or anyone else individually but COLLECTIVELY...one) then you speak to everyone, publicly.

The ********s can be outed and the overly negative, passing yams etc can also be outed. It would gain a lot of respect and would be a good genuine step forward if nothing is off limits and folk can talk about all things Hibs.

Get the **** out the way, take some flak if flak is what people have.............THEN, crucially, move on. Give folk their chance to air their grievances and questions, be fair, take it (within reason) on the chin then its all square. Then the folk who love to go on and on and on negatively can be told to STFU and the club have done their bit.

Do that, and mass respect from the masses.

Incidentally, social media does work. At the risk of Andy74 taking the huff, Liverpool do it all the time on Facebook and Twitter and actively ecourage folk to send them their pics, photos, videos etc of the matches, comments etc. Folk say their piece, share the good times and the bad then move on. There is nae "them and us" and its a healthy situation. Can only be good thing.

Then, the serial moaning faced bams have nowhere to hide. It COULD be a stroke of genius if done right and would beat any stupid PR executive's campaign to get buy in to the family home and all that malarkey. Folk only want whats best for Hibs and to talk all things green and white. A wee bit respect of both sides and then progress forward, as one. Nobody could disagree with that principle but a rallying call from petrie every now and then and the whole parent/child relationship we've seen in the past is not what the people want.

GGTTH YA BASS.

ENDOF :aok:

Nothing to do with me to take the huff over, just passing on what the club had said about trying to do facebook on our resources!

Jack
13-12-2011, 11:56 AM
TBH bad martini I agree with the club about Facebook, I used to agree with what you're saying. :greengrin

I run a rather smaller one than the clubs would be (around 1,200 chums) I still get trolling on a regular basis and I cant always deal with it when it appears. I understand Liverpool have 2 or 3 folk working on their Facebook page full time. Although it would be less popular 2 is probably the minimum you'd want in the circumstances and Hibs just ain't going to pay for 2 folk when the benefits are uncertain when compared to the likes of having similar type communications here.

I know here and the Bounce are incredibly resolute when it comes to their independence from the Football Club but there's no good reason they shouldn’t be working as closely as they can for the benefit of the team.

Bad Martini
13-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Nothing to do with me to take the huff over, just passing on what the club had said about trying to do facebook on our resources!

Was talking aboot my quoting the practices of LFC and yer general dislike ay that last week....fair dues ,was **** stirring a bit :greengrin

Nah I appreciate we canny devote same resources as LFC but am sure we can put something together. Webcast or something and allow x number of folk in.

Either way and whatever we dae it needs to be fully public IMHO.

Joe Baker II
13-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Fair points. But social media is not for just posting messages to fans. It is about conversation, dialogue, building rapport, engagement - something the club has lacked markedly in recent times. I agree it does require a full-time social media manager, and I know the club reduced staff in communications/media during the summer. However, I think social media is vital and a huge lost opportunity.

Put it this way, the pap I got through the post about signing up for a half season ticket recently was laughable and if they continue with that standard of communication with supporters, then they are doomed.

Could not have put it better. A Q and A answer on the web is not unwelcome but I fear too little too late when it comes to Hibs taking advantage of web/social media given all the previous failures of club officials (with the honourable exception of the much-missed Colin McNeill) to comunnicate properly even before the recent cuts.

Though having some money free at moment I decided to give club benefit of my many doubts as to whether they deserved the money and buy a half-season ticket for the first time since 2009, I entirely agree about the condescending tone of the communication.

Joe Baker II
13-12-2011, 01:29 PM
I cannot beleive club are saying they cannot resource a social media maanger - cost is minimal compared to what players get paid and even if he/she brings absolutely nothing in return which is unliklely. But if this is indeed a quote that club are approving being made public, just sums up everything been said above about Hibs historical lack of communication skills.

TheEastTerrace
13-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I cannot beleive club are saying they cannot resource a social media maanger - cost is minimal compared to what players get paid and even if he/she brings absolutely nothing in return which is unliklely. But if this is indeed a quote that club are approving being made public, just sums up everything been said above about Hibs historical lack of communication skills.

Agree. Hibs will fall into the same trap as a number of other clubs on social media - it just becomes a broadcast medium, not an engagement tool for building relationships and communities. A social media manager would actually proactively manage fan engagement and a social media strategy.

I don't want to knock the club when they are obviously trying new means of opening up communication to fans but I predict people losing interest once the fad of Hibs being online wears off.

Dan McLaren runs a great website here about social media - I suggest a read.

http://www.theuksportsnetwork.com/

ronaldo7
17-12-2011, 08:04 AM
It's been a week now since this was discussed at the fans forum, and was discussed at the forum pre Killie match.

Is it all talk or are we moving forward with this?

Has anyone heard anything?

matty_f
17-12-2011, 08:45 AM

There was a £900k loss last year. In black and white, there is no money for a social media manager.

Beefster
17-12-2011, 09:04 AM
There was a £900k loss last year. In black and white, there is no money for a social media manager.

Again, not everything is directly about costs. A very good social media manager/strategy may bring in advertising/publicity/more fans etc etc.

It may not but not everything is as simple as "it'll cost us £30k a year, end of story".

Mikey
17-12-2011, 12:04 PM
It's been a week now since this was discussed at the fans forum, and was discussed at the forum pre Killie match.

Is it all talk or are we moving forward with this?

Has anyone heard anything?

We've had a bit of discussion with the club and put forward a proposal that was very much in line with what they suggested.

We're waiting for a reply but hopefully we'll hear back through the week :aok:

ronaldo7
17-12-2011, 05:04 PM
We've had a bit of discussion with the club and put forward a proposal that was very much in line with what they suggested.

We're waiting for a reply but hopefully we'll hear back through the week :aok:

Cheers Mikey:aok:

matty_f
17-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Again, not everything is directly about costs. A very good social media manager/strategy may bring in advertising/publicity/more fans etc etc.

It may not but not everything is as simple as "it'll cost us £30k a year, end of story".

IMHO (and it is just my IMHO)there is no way that a social media manager would make enough of a difference to pay for themselves, let alone add value to the club.

That aside, there is a very real point in saying that if we're losing £900,000 a year and people are being made redundant, then unless there's a very real and tangible benefit in hiring a social media manager then we can't afford it.

Dashing Bob S
17-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Does anybody really care? We want results, not more platitudes from the board. They don't deserve our plaudits for 'caring' or 'wanting the best for the club' - that should be a given.

Mikey
22-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Just to confirm that this is a go-er, starting early/mid January. More nearer the time.

Andy74
23-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Just to confirm that this is a go-er, starting early/mid January. More nearer the time.

Good stuff, should be interesting!

heretoday
23-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Hibs will be OK.

Don't worry.

Mikey
09-01-2012, 11:00 AM

Just to give an update to this, we're going to delay until early February so that the board can concentrate on the transfer window.

Hibs90
09-01-2012, 11:02 AM
More PM only stuff. We are all Hibs fans you know.

Mikey
09-01-2012, 11:09 AM
More PM only stuff. We are all Hibs fans you know.

Who said anything about it being PM's only?

Hibbyradge
09-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Who said anything about it being PM's only?

It should be. :agree:

Beefster
09-01-2012, 11:19 AM
It should be. :agree:

Absolutely. Makes sense to not bother communicating with those who actually go to the games but keep those who pay £10 to an unconnected website fully informed.

Darth Hibbie
09-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Absolutely. Makes sense to not bother communicating with those who actually go to the games but keep those who pay £10 to an unconnected website fully informed.

Do PM's not go to games as well? Does everybody on the main board go to games?

If it is being organised by Hibs.net it should be up to the admins how they choose to run it. If it is for PM's then I am sure the info from it will be on the MB immediately after. If you want in on the action pay up the tenner. Or you could always organise your own!

matty_f
09-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Bear in mind it will be the unconnected website that will have to facilitate it and the website isn't free to run.

There is nothing stopping those that actually go to the games and use the website sticking their hands in their pockets to pay the tenner. :whistle:

Hibbyradge
09-01-2012, 11:29 AM

:fishin: :wink:

I'm perfectly happy with it being available to everyone.

I just think it's a pity that folk won't stump up 19p a week to help pay for the privilege.

TheEastTerrace
09-01-2012, 11:38 AM
I've used Cover It Live before - depends on how many people you expect to view and respond to the Q&A but this could be hosted by the club or .Net for free. It's interactive and questions/responses posted in real time. The club would have the facility to take questions in from everyone pretty easily

http://www.coveritlive.com/index.php

Anyways, just a suggestion to help with the mechanics of the Q&A

Mikey
09-01-2012, 12:44 PM
I've used Cover It Live before - depends on how many people you expect to view and respond to the Q&A but this could be hosted by the club or .Net for free. It's interactive and questions/responses posted in real time. The club would have the facility to take questions in from everyone pretty easily

http://www.coveritlive.com/index.php

Anyways, just a suggestion to help with the mechanics of the Q&A

We've tested Cover It Live but I'd like to keep it simple at first. If we set a particular time it'll be a huge letdown if something goes wrong somewhere at the last minute and it doesn't happen.

It's a possibility further down the line though.

Cheers.

TheEastTerrace
09-01-2012, 12:51 PM
We've tested Cover It Live but I'd like to keep it simple at first. If we set a particular time it'll be a huge letdown if something goes wrong somewhere at the last minute and it doesn't happen.

It's a possibility further down the line though.

Cheers.

Can understand that Mikey.

Sure this has been thought of, but if you're taking questions in advance from supporters for the club to reply to, people could also tweet their questions to the official Hibs Twitter account?

It would keep questions short and to the point :greengrin

BroxburnHibee
09-01-2012, 01:16 PM
:fishin: :wink:

I'm perfectly happy with it being available to everyone.

I just think it's a pity that folk won't stump up 19p a week to help pay for the privilege.

I prefer to say 'less than 3p a day' :greengrin

Beefster
09-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Do PM's not go to games as well? Does everybody on the main board go to games?

If it is being organised by Hibs.net it should be up to the admins how they choose to run it. If it is for PM's then I am sure the info from it will be on the MB immediately after. If you want in on the action pay up the tenner. Or you could always organise your own!

My point is about Hibs not communicating with ST holders, not non-PMers on here.

At no point did I say that PMs didn't go to games or that non-PMs all went to the game so I've no idea what you're on about.

Bear in mind it will be the unconnected website that will have to facilitate it and the website isn't free to run.

There is nothing stopping those that actually go to the games and use the website sticking their hands in their pockets to pay the tenner. :whistle:

I paid for membership for several years. Now I don't. I may at some point in the future.

Non-PMs view adverts and, if they're like me, occasionally click on them. It may not amount to £10pa (or it may) but I'm sure it contributes.

BroxburnHibee
09-01-2012, 05:48 PM
My point is about Hibs not communicating with ST holders, not non-PMers on here.

At no point did I say that PMs didn't go to games or that non-PMs all went to the game so I've no idea what you're on about.

I paid for membership for several years. Now I don't. I may at some point in the future.

Non-PMs view adverts and, if they're like me, occasionally click on them. It may not amount to £10pa (or it may) but I'm sure it contributes.

I've no idea what you're on about either - if it was just for PM's (which Mike has already confirmed it isn't) - how do you get that to mean not communicating with ST holders?

You're original quote was about 'not communicating with those that go to games' :rolleyes:

Its been a long day :confused:

I wasn't at the meeting but as far as I am aware Fyfe was happy to do this to directly challenge some of the falsehoods often posted here and give feedback to the Hibs messageboard community - not just folk that go to games

Beefster
09-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I've no idea what you're on about either - if it was just for PM's (which Mike has already confirmed it isn't) - how do you get that to mean not communicating with ST holders?

You're original quote was about 'not communicating with those that go to games'

Hibs have been pretty poor, to date, at communicating with the support IMHO.

My original post was in response to Hibbyradge's point about how it should be restricted to PMs. I'm aware that the 'event' isn't actually being restricted.

Peevemor
09-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Hibs have been pretty poor, to date, at communicating with the support IMHO.

My original post was in response to Hibbyradge's point about how it should be restricted to PMs. I'm aware that the 'event' isn't actually being restricted.

Why do people keep saying this? Compared to who?

greenlex
09-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Everybody else in the whole wide world. Do keep up FFS.:rolleyes:

Beefster
09-01-2012, 07:11 PM

You'll have to ask other folk why they say it. I say it because I believe it to be true. Our comms are terrible. They are slowly improving though and the club are making the right noises about future comms.

Compared to most other businesses with a limited customer base.

Peevemor
09-01-2012, 08:44 PM
You'll have to ask other folk why they say it. I say it because I believe it to be true. Our comms are terrible. They are slowly improving though and the club are making the right noises about future comms.

Compared to most other businesses with a limited customer base.

Eh? Football clubs get more free advertising than any other business around. Is there one or more stories about B&Q on the back of the local paper every day? Do Pizza Hut hold press conferences to unveil new employees when they take them on?

Seriously, what other football clubs do more than Hibs to communicate with their supporters?

ancient hibee
09-01-2012, 08:47 PM
If I get yet another unwanted email from Hibs I'll report them for harrassment.

BroxburnHibee
09-01-2012, 08:50 PM
If I get yet another unwanted email from Hibs I'll report them for harrassment.

:hilarious

nortonhibby
09-01-2012, 09:36 PM

RP The Don Feflon and the Cheap option kinda go hand in hand why spend a pound when you can spend a penny RP.

Peevemor
09-01-2012, 10:42 PM
RP The Don Feflon and the Cheap option kinda go hand in hand why spend a pound when you can spend a penny RP.

The sooner you get binned the better. :yawn:

nortonhibby
09-01-2012, 10:50 PM
The sooner you get binned the better. :yawn:
you need Taxi ? or is that you R-P ?:pfgwa:flag:

Peevemor
10-01-2012, 07:15 AM
So Hibs shouldn't bother about their comms because the newspapers write about football? Right, makes sense.

Is that what I said? I don't think so.

Folk compare Hibs to other businesses when it suits them (e.g. balancing budgets) but when it doesn't suit them (e.g. attracting customers, comms), we can only compare them to other football clubs? Right, makes sense.
http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg

"There's no apathy in the support. There's no problem with fans feeling disconnected from the club. There's no issue with disappearing customers. All is fine."

You're the one who brought up the "compared to most other businesses" thing.

I'll ask again - what football clubs have better comm than Hibs? What do they do more/differently?

Beefster
10-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Is that what I said? I don't think so.

You're the one who brought up the "compared to most other businesses" thing.

I'll ask again - what football clubs have better comm than Hibs? What do they do more/differently?

You must have been responding when I deleted my post.

The Club is doing a fraction of what it could be doing to attract new supporters, keep existing supporters engaged and get lapsed supporters back and financially contributing. Them's the facts IMHO but you're perfectly entitled to disagree. I don't really give two hoots about other clubs - "everyone's pish at it so let's not try and improve".

I've been in this debate countless times before so don't really want to go through it all again. If folk are happy to accept mediocrity, that's up to them.