PDA

View Full Version : Joint Bottom In Mid December - Is This The Year We Get Relegated?

Speedway
11-12-2011, 06:55 PM
The next 8 games will define our season I think because if we are still down the bottom by late January, then the mental battle to get back up the table will become a much tougher opponent than any visiting team we'll encounter.

Confidence is low, technique is shoddy and the only bright light is the common sense start we've had from our new manager.

Do you think he will save us this year or are we going to have to undertake another great adventure?

matty_f
11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
The next 8 games will define our season I think because if we are still down the bottom by late January, then the mental battle to get back up the table will become a much tougher opponent than any visiting team we'll encounter.

Confidence is low, technique is shoddy and the only bright light is the common sense start we've had from our new manager.

Do you think he will save us this year or are we going to have to undertake another great adventure?

I'd put my house on us staying up, to be honest. We're better than Dunfermline and that'll show over the season. I know they'll point to the fact that they've taken 4 points from 6 from us, but we should have had the first game dead and buried at 0-2, and the defeat at Easter Road was one way traffic in the second half, despite it being one of the worst performances I have ever seen from us. We're not likely to play that badly again.

The other thing is the board have already confirmed that there is budget for the manager next month when the transfer window opens. We have a number of decent players at the team, a couple of good players in to the squad will make a big difference. I don't see Dunfermline bringing in many, if any, players given they've been very public about how short on funds they are this season. ICT may bring players in, but they're struggling as much as we are just now and I wouldn't think they'd improve their squad to a greater extent than we will.

There are other teams that could easily still be drawn into the mix - Aberdeen are there already, the difference between us and them is that our board have acted to address the slump whereas they've had nothing to galvanize the club. Hearts could really struggle depending on what happens with their players over the coming weeks, and Dundee United could find themselves caught up in the bottom half battle if they get a few back to back poor results.

Sammy7nil
11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
If we get relegated out of this league it will be a joke.

This is the worst SPL for years and there have been many poor years.

Dunfermline, Aberdeen are shocking and if ICT can finish above us we deserve to be relegated.

SteveHFC
11-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Aberdeen - 3pts
Dundee Utd - 0pts
Inverness - 3pts
Hearts - 3pts
Dunfermline - 3pts
St.Johnstone - 1pt
Rangers - 0pts
Aberdeen - 3pts

These are our next 8 SPL Games.

Gatecrasher
11-12-2011, 07:04 PM
I think we will be fine

hibsbollah
11-12-2011, 07:12 PM
We'll be fine.

nortonhibby
11-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Aberdeen - 3pts
Dundee Utd - 0pts
Inverness - 3pts
Hearts - 3pts
Dunfermline - 3pts
St.Johnstone - 1pt
Rangers - 0pts
Aberdeen - 3pts

Aberdeen 1 point.
Dundee United 1 Point
PBS LOT 1 Point
Dunfy 0 point
st j 1 point.
Rankgers 3 points and a 3-o win
Sheep 0 point.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-12-2011, 07:24 PM
As well as us, the other candidates have to be ICT, Dons and Pars. As far as I can make out, none of those teams will change the man in charge nor have any budget to bring in significant bodies in January. So for those three, it is more of the same. I think we will have fresh impetus come January, but anything above 12th will do.

Sammy7nil
11-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Aberdeen - 3pts
Dundee Utd - 0pts
Inverness - 3pts
Hearts - 3pts
Dunfermline - 3pts
St.Johnstone - 1pt
Rangers - 0pts
Aberdeen - 3pts

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin
I will have a pint of what you have had.

iwasthere1972
11-12-2011, 07:57 PM
What are the rules on a team being allowed to play in the Europa League if they get relegated but win their national cup?

blairwallace
11-12-2011, 07:58 PM
"is this the year we get relegated?"

no, we're safe till at least may 2012 :greengrin

IWasThere2016
11-12-2011, 08:07 PM
I think we'll be ok. But we can add 2011/12 already to a long list of under-achievements.

Sergeant Hibs
11-12-2011, 08:09 PM
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin
I will have a pint of what you have had.

I think thats an ok prediction mate

soupy
11-12-2011, 08:13 PM
I'll only be confident of staying up IF we get a few quid to spend in January, and we can ship the imposters out. too many players in this team, who shouldn't be anywhere near the SPL, and the ones that are good enough arny interested.

Sammy7nil
11-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I think thats an ok prediction mate

I wish you were my Bookie :greengrin

LancashireHibby
11-12-2011, 08:23 PM
What are the rules on a team being allowed to play in the Europa League if they get relegated but win their national cup?

Can still take part judging by Birmingham's presence, and that was only for the League Cup rather than the national cup. Not that I think we'll be troubling either scenario!

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Aberdeen - 3ptsDundee Utd - 0ptsInverness - 3ptsHearts - 3ptsDunfermline - 3ptsSt.Johnstone - 1ptRangers - 0ptsAberdeen - 3ptsThese are our next 8 SPL Games. We've only got 14pts from 17 games, but, we are all of a sudden going to pick up 16 from the next 8 games.I hope you are right, but, very much doubt it.

iwasthere1972
11-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Less chance of going down than a man in Susan Boyles bedroom.

JustSimplyHibs
11-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Aberdeen - 1pts
Dundee Utd - 1pts
Inverness - 3pts
Hearts - 0pts
Dunfermline - 3pts
St.Johnstone - 3pt
Rangers - 0pts
Aberdeen - 3pts

Eyrie
11-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Two word answer - Pat Fenlon.

He's already got us already looking better than we did under Calderwood, and as has been said he'll have the opportunity to address the weak areas of the team in January. I'm not convinced we can make it into the top six for the split but we will be safe from relegation.

joe breezy
11-12-2011, 08:44 PM
I think Fenlon will keep Hibs up, there's plenty kak in the SPL other than Hibs

R'Albin
11-12-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm sure we'll stay up:agree:

Imo, We do have a good squad, we have a few quality players- O'Connor, Osbourne, potentially Hanlon, Spoony, Booth and Stephens. They just need some direction, which hopefully Fenlon will give them.

In January I expect Fenlon will unload some of the pish. Agogo and Thornhill(Although, I think there's a player in there somewhere) were already mentioned. Hopefully we will get rid of O'Hanlon and Hart. Wouldn't be surprised if Scott leaves, though we have him on a three-year deal :rolleyes: Victor has to get his act together, he obviously has the talent as was shown his first half a dozen games.

Top 6 isn't out of reach and with a few good signings in Jan I could easily see us being up there. No worries about us getting relegated.

Greentinted
11-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Whilst I agree, that analogy's too much :jamboak:

FWIW I genuinly feel Hearts will be taking the drop. Not being partizan, just pragmatic. Things will get a whole lot worse before they get better over-by.
In fairness I don't see an immediate revolution in fortune under PF, more a steady improvement which should abate any fear. Something tells me the guy has got what it takes and I'm more comfortable with him at the helm than I was the last wee while.

JustSimplyHibs
11-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Whilst I agree, that analogy's too much :jamboak:

FWIW I genuinly feel Hearts will be taking the drop. Not being partizan, just pragmatic. Things will get a whole lot worse before they get better over-by.
In fairness I don't see an immediate revolution in fortune under PF, more a steady improvement which should abate any fear. Something tells me the guy has got what it takes and I'm more comfortable with him at the helm than I was the last wee while.

I think along the same lines, then Selick will tap him up in 2 years time when the improvement is made, he leaves to manage his boyhood heros and we go back to where we are at now :wink:

For this reason come the end of the season i would give him a 5 year contract with a £2 mill buy out clause

Sir David Gray
11-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Obviously we've got to be one of the favourites to go down at the moment. We're almost half way through the season and we're sitting in joint bottom so clearly we're going to struggle this year.

I don't think we'll be relegated this season but we certainly cannot be complacent in thinking that other clubs are going to do us a favour. We need to show that we are better than other teams by picking up points and climbing the table.

JustSimplyHibs
11-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Obviously we've got to be one of the favourites to go down at the moment. We're almost half way through the season and we're sitting in joint bottom so clearly we're going to struggle this year.

I don't think we'll be relegated this season but we certainly cannot be complacent in thinking that other clubs are going to do us a favour. We need to show that we are better than other teams by picking up points and climbing the table.

It's simple, win our games and we will be fine, we have a squad capable of challenging for honours, i don't care what anyone says but we do and to be perfectly honest we are at the wrong end of the table because of bad management in the 1st quarter of the season.

Billy Brown will say the same, even if he wasn't PF's assistsant (in fact did he no say that after being sacked and out a job??)

The signs are positive, beating a 3rd placed team away from home, with a tremendous support in attendance, seriously should have teaken something against a team that is top of the league (they had 2 attempts both from set plays and scored) that is with a piss poor support in attendance.

Sir David Gray
11-12-2011, 10:09 PM
It's simple, win our games and we will be fine, we have a squad capable of challenging for honours, i don't care what anyone says but we do and to be perfectly honest we are at the wrong end of the table because of bad management in the 1st quarter of the season.

Billy Brown will say the same, even if he wasn't PF's assistsant (in fact did he no say that after being sacked and out a job??)

The signs are positive, beating a 3rd placed team away from home, with a tremendous support in attendance, seriously should have teaken something against a team that is top of the league (they had 2 attempts both from set plays and scored) that is with a piss poor support in attendance.

I think you're being kind saying that we're capable of challenging for honours but we certainly should be capable of avoiding relegation from the SPL.

We don't have a good squad but with a bit of organisation, belief and confidence then even poor teams are capable of doing much better.

Lofarl
11-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Not at panic stations yet. But if we don't get anything from the rest of December i will be panicking. But I expect a certain team to enter administration soon. -10 points for that at a minimum.

JustSimplyHibs
11-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I think you're being kind saying that we're capable of challenging for honours but we certainly should be capable of avoiding relegation from the SPL.

We don't have a good squad but with a bit of organisation, belief and confidence then even poor teams are capable of doing much better.

Not at all bud, we have a decent squad, a very good youth set up....just look at the honours we challenge for on that front, bad management has stop us from pushing forward. However under Fenlon who has won more honours than any SPL manager in management we can push forward.

Frankly i would argue on the squad front! Just the bad management for the first quarter has let us down

Hibby cal
11-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I think that the fenlon factor will keep
Us up.we have the resources to pull
Away from the bottom of the league
That the others around us don't have.
Maybe not top six but we,ll be ok
:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa

ekhibee
12-12-2011, 12:28 AM
If Fenlon makes quite a few changes in the transfer window then I reckon we'll stay up, but I don't trust this current lot, so we'll see.

basehibby
12-12-2011, 12:38 AM
I think that the fenlon factor will keep
Us up.we have the resources to pull
Away from the bottom of the league
That the others around us don't have.
Maybe not top six but we,ll be ok
:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa

:agree: I agree with this. If Fenlon is any good for Hibs - and I believe he wil be - then the resources available to him together with the january transfer window should be sufficient to guarantee survival in the SPL.

cad
12-12-2011, 04:47 AM
I think along the same lines, then Selick will tap him up in 2 years time when the improvement is made, he leaves to manage his boyhood heros and we go back to where we are at now :wink:

For this reason come the end of the season i would give him a 5 year contract with a £2 mill buy out clause

Petrie wouldnae gie himsel a 5 year contract ,I agree wi yer post likes .:agree: :agree:

Septimus
12-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Our present squad have not shown themselves capable of beating the other relegation candidates yet and sadly I don't think that they will no matter how hard Fenlon shouts from the sidelines. We need something to galvanise our playing squad and hopefully the scouting team are out in force looking for him now.

KeithTheHibby
12-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Aberdeen - 3pts
Dundee Utd - 0pts
Inverness - 3pts
Hearts - 3pts
Dunfermline - 3pts
St.Johnstone - 1pt
Rangers - 0pts
Aberdeen - 3pts

16 points from 8 games compared to 14 points from 17 played. That is optimistic to say the least.

ShanksSaidNo
12-12-2011, 02:23 PM
It would be so typically Hibs if the season Hertz go into administration we get relegated!

Are Hibs the most frustrating team to support in Scotland?

The_Exile
12-12-2011, 02:34 PM
It would be so typically Hibs if the season Hertz go into administration we get relegated!

Are Hibs the most frustrating team to support in Scotland?

Surely if they go into Administration they'll get a 15 point penalty, therefor our aim should be........stay within 14 points of Hertz and we'll live to swagger on :agree:

Dashing Bob S
12-12-2011, 02:52 PM
If Fenlon makes quite a few changes in the transfer window then I reckon we'll stay up, but I don't trust this current lot, so we'll see.

Relegation seemed almost inevitable under Calderwood, but it has ceased to an issue since Fenlon arrived. We have a proper management team now and will start to rise above the usual suspects of SPL dross.

Spike Mandela
12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Relegation seemed almost inevitable under Calderwood, but it has ceased to an issue since Fenlon arrived. We have a proper management team now and will start to rise above the usual suspects of SPL dross.

Still nothing yet to suggest we will not be involved in a relegation battle all season.

brydekirk
12-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Think we'll be ok, if PF can get what he wants in january we can start climbing the league and a good run in the cup to get some of the supporters back. Maybee the cup run is asking too much ;-)

The_Todd
13-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Surely if they go into Administration they'll get a 15 point penalty, therefor our aim should be........stay within 14 points of Hertz and we'll live to swagger on :agree:

Thought it was 10 points

ALF TUPPER
13-12-2011, 05:17 PM

Missed the start of this thread - ermmmmmmmmm ....................was in Susan Boyles bedroom
:cb

scolling back up :wink:

iwasthere1972
13-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Missed the start of this thread - ermmmmmmmmm ....................was in Susan Boyles bedroom
:cb

scolling back up :wink:

:confused: Care to explain what you mean.

steakbake
13-12-2011, 05:33 PM
If we go down, we deserve to go down.

However, I think we'll stay up. A good run over Xmas, a couple of new faces in Jan and some folk shown the door, we'll start a long slow climb up the table.