PDA

View Full Version : Ross Caldwell

Spike Mandela
11-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Anyone see the young lad punch the air with delight before walking up tunnel at end of game for what was obviously a major milestone in his career.

Great to see such passion, despite the result, and bodes well for Hibs team in future:thumbsup:

greenlex
11-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Anyone see the young lad punch the air with delight before walking up tunnel at end of game for what was obviously a major milestone in his career.

Great to see such passion, despite the result, and bodes well for Hibs team in future:thumbsup:

I would start the laddie next weekend.

lyonhibs
11-12-2011, 06:31 PM
He looks like he's as hard as nails as well. Wouldn't want to spill his pint, that's for sure.

lucky
11-12-2011, 06:35 PM
He looks like he's as hard as nails as well. Wouldn't want to spill his pint, that's for sure.

Hopefully he does not have a pint to spill. He surely can't be in the George Street gang already

Seveno
11-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Shame for the lad that he is saddled with the name Caldwell. I'd change it if I were him.

matty_f
11-12-2011, 06:53 PM
If I'd been lucky enough to make my debut for the Hibs, there's every chance that I'd have torn the heid right aff it at the end of the game, never mind punching the air!:greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
11-12-2011, 07:06 PM
If I'd been lucky enough to make my debut for the Hibs, there's every chance that I'd have torn the heid right aff it at the end of the game, never mind punching the air!:greengrin

:faf:

Kato
11-12-2011, 08:14 PM
I'd start with him next week too. He's very raw but that can be awkward for a defender. If he gets a sight of goal he's capable of hitting the ball really, really hard. Scary hard.

SteveHFC
11-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Caldwell/O'Connor Upfront next week

Pedantic_Hibee
11-12-2011, 08:20 PM

:faf:

R'Albin
11-12-2011, 08:41 PM

:hilarious

Prawn Sandwich
11-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Shame for the lad that he is saddled with the name Caldwell. I'd change it if I were him.

It could be worse! It could be Cald.....erwood

hibbysam
11-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Hopefully he does not have a pint to spill. He surely can't be in the George Street gang already

Currently in cav with the rest of the 19s :)

hibbysam
11-12-2011, 11:04 PM

Currently in cav with the rest of the 19s :)

muzzhfc
11-12-2011, 11:21 PM

is that a metophorical pint?

frazeHFC
11-12-2011, 11:23 PM
He has a 100% pass record. Also has never missed the target for us. :agree:

In all seriousness, why not play him next week, we are not scoring for fun as it is.......

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I agree, give him a bash for a few games, we aren't exactly setting the world alight so it can't do any harm to give some fresh faces a go.

brydekirk
11-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I agree, give him a bash for a few games, we aren't exactly setting the world alight so it can't do any harm to give some fresh faces a go. Bet he would have stuck LG's chance away.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Bet he would have stuck LG's chance away.My Gran would have :greengrin

Northernhibee
11-12-2011, 11:56 PM
I think that the likes of Caldwell, Handling, Booth, Spoony, Stevenson, Stephens and that will potentially be the first names on future teamsheets every time - Spoony, Stevenson and Booth are of course on their way there, but if Fenlon gets them all performing at full potential, there's plenty to be positive about there.

The likes of O'Hanlon, Agogo, Vaz Te and other journeymen with their best days behind them signing for short term deals won't work for us, we need to get youngsters with something to prove and a willingness to learn and get stuck in.

frazeHFC
12-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Also, i have not seen Harris or Stanton, but if they are as promosing as i have read/heard, then maybe if Stevenson and Ozzy perform like they have in every game, bring one of the youngsters in as they will be able to sit in midfield with those 2.

Thecat23
12-12-2011, 11:03 AM
I'd like to see this lad given a chance as well. Only concern would be we don't really create much so the pressure on him if he's not scoring might be a bit much. Maybe playing him off the bench might be best just now.

ian cruise
12-12-2011, 11:06 AM
I think that the likes of Caldwell, Handling, Booth, Spoony, Stevenson, Stephens and that will potentially be the first names on future teamsheets every time - Spoony, Stevenson and Booth are of course on their way there, but if Fenlon gets them all performing at full potential, there's plenty to be positive about there.

The likes of O'Hanlon, Agogo, Vaz Te and other journeymen with their best days behind them signing for short term deals won't work for us, we need to get youngsters with something to prove and a willingness to learn and get stuck in.

Also what about the boy Horner? Did he not do quite well during this preseason and the previous one too?

Peevemor
12-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Also what about the boy Horner? Did he not do quite well during this preseason and the previous one too?

Jack? He's too little and doesn't stick to a sportsman's diet.

bingo70
12-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Think we need to not get carried away here, from watching the under 19 derby is say the only ones that have the physical attributes to step up yet are caldwell and the two centre halves, the likes of stanton and the others looked a million miles away from the first team, I'd imagine the guys out on loan will have a chance of challenging for the first team soon but not the guys I saw playing in the derby imo

Franck is God
12-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Think we need to not get carried away here, from watching the under 19 derby is say the only ones that have the physical attributes to step up yet are caldwell and the two centre halves, the likes of stanton and the others looked a million miles away from the first team, I'd imagine the guys out on loan will have a chance of challenging for the first team soon but not the guys I saw playing in the derby imo

I'd agree with this, the two centre halfs that you mentioned have good physical stature but at this stage of their development would get pushed around by an experienced striker quite easily. Caldwell however has the build of a man already and maybe will feature occasionally in the second half of the season while still paying for the under 19's.

The likes of Taggart, Horner & Smith all out on loan right now will hopefully give the new boss something to think about when they return.

bingo70
12-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Yup, I've no idea if the guys I mentioned are good enough technically to make the step up but they're the only ones that have a chance at this stage.

The others may well go onto be better players but imo it'll be at least a year or two before they're being considered

Golden Bear
12-12-2011, 11:44 AM

:agree:

He's also prone to shyness I believe.

Franck is God
12-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Yup, I've no idea if the guys I mentioned are good enough technically to make the step up but they're the only ones that have a chance at this stage.

The others may well go onto be better players but imo it'll be at least a year or two before they're being considered

Absolutely right.

Our under 19 side this year is very young and age wise probably about year or more behind where our team of two seasons ago was when they won the youth double, given that this team is clearly very talented. I've seen them a couple of times this season at East Mains and also the game at ER against Hearts.

From this current team I can already see potential in at least 6 or 7 of them, Forster looks an excellent prospect at centre half, I like Gold and Monaghan in midfield, Horribine may be a bit wee but he gets round the pitch and has a great touch and passing ability, Harris has impressed every time I see him on the ball. Caldwell is like seeing another 18 year old Garry O'Connor again and I can see Handling in an advanced midfield position or just behind a striker in the future, very clever on the ball and plays with his head up.

The Tubs
12-12-2011, 02:16 PM
I liked the look of that Crawford laddie that set up O'Connor for the winner in Inverness. I know he's out on loan at the moment but what are the chances of him making it at Hibs?

Cocaine&Caviar
12-12-2011, 02:32 PM
The likes of Vaz Te with their best days behind them

He has nearly a 1 in 2 ratio in a struggling Barnsley side in the CC Championship this season...

johnrebus
12-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Absolutely right.

Our under 19 side this year is very young and age wise probably about year or more behind where our team of two seasons ago was when they won the youth double, given that this team is clearly very talented. I've seen them a couple of times this season at East Mains and also the game at ER against Hearts. From this current team I can already see potential in at least 6 or 7 of them, Forster looks an excellent prospect at centre half, I like Gold and Monaghan in midfield, Horribine may be a bit wee but he gets round the pitch and has a great touch and passing ability, Harris has impressed every time I see him on the ball. Caldwell is like seeing another 18 year old Garry O'Connor again and I can see Handling in an advanced midfield position or just behind a striker in the future, very clever on the ball and plays with his head up.

But everyone knows that once the high earners are emptied along the road, the Hearts U19's will come and take over the world - or at least the SPL by storm?

After all, they are far better than our own U19's, as proven when they came to Easter Road and, and ....., no wait............,

:yamlaugh:

Bayern Bru
12-12-2011, 02:58 PM
I liked the look of that Crawford laddie that set up O'Connor for the winner in Inverness. I know he's out on loan at the moment but what are the chances of him making it at Hibs?

Fairly high I think. Quick feet, eye for goal and a decent player. :agree:

greenlex
12-12-2011, 03:45 PM

Was that not Ian Murray?

Northernhibee
12-12-2011, 03:46 PM
He has nearly a 1 in 2 ratio in a struggling Barnsley side in the CC Championship this season... Either way, he didn't turn it on up here, and that's what counts for us.

Twa Cairpets
12-12-2011, 03:49 PM

His relaxed posture when we have a corner is also disquieting

greenlex
12-12-2011, 03:51 PM
His relaxed posture when we have a corner is also disquieting

I reckon he needs to get the finger out.:agree:

King Paddy
12-12-2011, 03:57 PM
:wink:

let's hope the young lad can give us fresh imputus, we are rely to much on o'conner at present.:thumbsup:

Wotherspiniesta
12-12-2011, 05:53 PM

I really don't understand comments like this. Its exactly what is wrong with Scottish football. The fact that people have to consider "physical attributes" when deciding if a player is good enough to play for us is ridiculous. Is Messi considered physically up to playing in the SPL? Was Riordan considered too slight to play for Hibs. What about Xavi, I suppose he'd just get bullied around in this league.

If they're techinically good enough, then they're good enough. Simple.

Wotherspiniesta
12-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Fairly high I think. Quick feet, eye for goal and a decent player. :agree:

:agree:

I was fairly impressed by Crawford earlier this season. Could be a good replacement for Griffiths.

bingo70
12-12-2011, 06:03 PM
I really don't understand comments like this. Its exactly what is wrong with Scottish football. The fact that people have to consider "physical attributes" when deciding if a player is good enough to play for us is ridiculous. Is Messi considered physically up to playing in the SPL? Was Riordan considered too slight to play for Hibs. What about Xavi, I suppose he'd just get bullied around in this league.

If they're techinically good enough, then they're good enough. Simple.

It's not that simple though because depending on what position they play having the strength to deal with the opponents is important.

With messi and xavi you're mixing up strength with height, they're both small but have loads of strength, Riordan was a pretty unique talent that also benefited from playing in a position that doesnt require a huge amount of strength as he was better floating about finding space rather than competing with bigger and stronger players than himself.

I think a better example is Jamie Mcluskey, he had all the skills in the world but he never developed any power and was ultimately to lightweight to make it with us, something that'll almost definately happen with some of the current under 19's unfortunately.

Wotherspiniesta
12-12-2011, 06:21 PM
It's not that simple though because depending on what position they play having the strength to deal with the opponents is important.

With messi and xavi you're mixing up strength with height, they're both small but have loads of strength, Riordan was a pretty unique talent that also benefited from playing in a position that doesnt require a huge amount of strength as he was better floating about finding space rather than competing with bigger and stronger players than himself.

I think a better example is Jamie Mcluskey, he had all the skills in the world but he never developed any power and was ultimately to lightweight to make it with us, something that'll almost definately happen with some of the current under 19's unfortunately.

It all depends on how a player copes. All players are going to put on a bit if weight throughout their careers (Nade more so then others) but I'd much rather have a smaller, lighter player who can pass the ball, create and burst away from defenders with pace, than a slightly bigger guy bereft of technical ability that can put himself about a bit. It can go either way and I'll give you two examples of Hibs players. David Wotherspoon. When he first burst into the scene, he was great but fans around me at games would always comment that "he looks like a 13 year old laddie" or something to that extent. He's fairly bulked up since then but his performances have dipped. He doesn't look as nimble and he doesn't look as quick. Steven Fletcher however is a player who was a bit like Wotherspoon, slight frame, flight footed etc. He's learned how to deal with the bit of weight he's put on though and looks a better all round player for it.

I just think tarnishing some of the 19's by saying they don't have the physical attributes is unfair. They are still 19 and under afterall. If I were a coach though, I'd be much more concerned with techinical ability.

bingo70
12-12-2011, 06:36 PM
It all depends on how a player copes. All players are going to put on a bit if weight throughout their careers (Nade more so then others) but I'd much rather have a smaller, lighter player who can pass the ball, create and burst away from defenders with pace, than a slightly bigger guy bereft of technical ability that can put himself about a bit. It can go either way and I'll give you two examples of Hibs players. David Wotherspoon. When he first burst into the scene, he was great but fans around me at games would always comment that "he looks like a 13 year old laddie" or something to that extent. He's fairly bulked up since then but his performances have dipped. He doesn't look as nimble and he doesn't look as quick. Steven Fletcher however is a player who was a bit like Wotherspoon, slight frame, flight footed etc. He's learned how to deal with the bit of weight he's put on though and looks a better all round player for it.

I just think tarnishing some of the 19's by saying they don't have the physical attributes is unfair. They are still 19 and under afterall. If I were a coach though, I'd be much more concerned with techinical ability.

To clarify i wasn't tarnishing them or downplaying their ability, i was saying that i don't think they're ready yet.

I don't know if you saw the under 19's game or not but my opinion was that they looked like wee boys and none of them other than the ones i mentioned peviously looked capable of making the step up yet, if there was a player there that could substitute physical ability for technical ability i'd be all for them being promoted to the first team but based on that game none of them were at that stage yet and none of them were ready yet IMO.

Was only one game though, so i'm no expert, they looked a terrific bunch of players and they've got a real chance but i still think it'll be a couple of years before they're competing and i still think a lot will depend on how they develop if they are to make it or not.

mon the cabbage
12-12-2011, 07:07 PM
im no being funny but he wasn't that good against hearts u19s I know he scored 2 but he seems a bit of a huddy.

I hope I am wrong and well done to him:thumbsup:

SaulGoodman
13-12-2011, 11:41 AM
We've not got much to lose, give him a go :agree:

The_Exile
13-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Hope he's given a chance by the Football Manger brigade who frequent Easter Road these days:

Garry O'Connor - played up top on his own a lot when he first broke through, Blobby years, no real creativity going on in the team, got hounded
Ian Murray - First year of his 1st team career, played at left back, got hounded big time
Wotherspoon - got/gets hounded
Stevenson - got/gets hounded
Hanlon - got/gets hounded
Riordan - top scorer last year, got hounded

We seem to forget these guys (apart from O'Connor, Murray and Riordan) are learning and are nowhere near their full potential, good luck Ross, you're at the right club in terms of youth development but beware when you cross that white line, misplace a pass once or twice and you'll no be good enough. Nae wonder they all end up in Goerge Street, it'd turn me tae drink anaw.

Andy74
13-12-2011, 12:18 PM
To clarify i wasn't tarnishing them or downplaying their ability, i was saying that i don't think they're ready yet.

I don't know if you saw the under 19's game or not but my opinion was that they looked like wee boys and none of them other than the ones i mentioned peviously looked capable of making the step up yet, if there was a player there that could substitute physical ability for technical ability i'd be all for them being promoted to the first team but based on that game none of them were at that stage yet and none of them were ready yet IMO.

Was only one game though, so i'm no expert, they looked a terrific bunch of players and they've got a real chance but i still think it'll be a couple of years before they're competing and i still think a lot will depend on how they develop if they are to make it or not.

Fenlon was meant to be 'the most excited since he's been here' when he watched the under 19s. He thought there were a few with a real chance and some that could go straight into the first team if required.

bingo70
13-12-2011, 12:35 PM
He's going to know better than me Andy and I'd be delighted if that's the case but i still think we won't see any of that team this season other than those I mentioned earlier