PDA

View Full Version : Singing section / 12th man relocation

NAE NOOKIE
11-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Instead of having the singing section / 12th man in the East would it not be a better idea to move it to the lower deck of the FF.

IMO this would be a better place for the following 2 reasons.

1 ...... I genuinely think that they could make more noise and put on a better display ( as it were ) from that part of the stadium, just look at how effective a couple of thousand away fans in the lowere deck of the south can be, we have all seen it. The bottom of the FF holds about 2,000 and they could hope to make the whole of that all singing all dancing.

2 ....... If it were agreed by the club that that relatively small part of the stadium was home to the 12th man, they could perhaps come to an agreement that you went to that part of the ground on the understanding that you may well be required to stand for the whole of the match.

The club IMO will never allow any part of the stadium to revert to unseated terracing, but they may be prepared to allow fans to stand during the match in a small designated section.

SRHibs
11-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Too far way from the opposing fans IMO.

Paisley Hibby
11-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Instead of having the singing section / 12th man in the East would it not be a better idea to move it to the lower deck of the FF.

IMO this would be a better place for the following 2 reasons.

1 ...... I genuinely think that they could make more noise and put on a better display ( as it were ) from that part of the stadium, just look at how effective a couple of thousand away fans in the lowere deck of the south can be, we have all seen it. The bottom of the FF holds about 2,000 and they could hope to make the whole of that all singing all dancing.

2 ....... If it were agreed by the club that that relatively small part of the stadium was home to the 12th man, they could perhaps come to an agreement that you went to that part of the ground on the understanding that you may well be required to stand for the whole of the match.

The club IMO will never allow any part of the stadium to revert to unseated terracing, but they may be prepared to allow fans to stand during the match in a small designated section.

I think you're right - moving to a different part of the ground would be better. I was thinking yesterday that if the signing section had been in the old East Stand they would have beeen making a good old racket. However, stuck at the top and back of the new East I could hardly hear them (Im in lower west south). Bottom half of the Famous would be better, especially as playing "down the slope" in the second half would be towards them. Alternatively, Lower South section of the West would be good! Right next to away fans.

RIP
11-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Within 2 seasons the whole ground will be the Singing Section

squire
11-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I would be in favour of this. I've thought for a while that we are lacking something from the FF. Most other teams have a hostile end that are capable of intimidating the opposition GK. Look at any derby for example, Hearts give any keeper we have had dogs abuse while the FF do nothing to disrupt their keeper's concentration.

On the flip side when we are attacking a rowdy FF would help suck the ball towards our traditional favoured end.

Jonnyboy
11-12-2011, 09:47 PM
I've got a different idea. Why don't the fans in the FF lower just join in the singing or indeed start songs themselves :wink:

monktonharp
11-12-2011, 10:09 PM
I've got a different idea. Why don't the fans in the FF lower just join in the singing or indeed start songs themselves :wink:er,.........could that have anything to do that we dont have that many fans actually in that section John.?

Jonnyboy
11-12-2011, 10:17 PM
er,.........could that have anything to do that we dont have that many fans actually in that section John.?

True and a minor problem in terms of my idea :greengrin

Lofarl
11-12-2011, 10:33 PM
A non starter IMO. The singing section in the east is roughly the same place as most of the songs started in the old east. The acoustics at the back of the stand help generate more noise. If they were down the front the sound waves would disapate out and not amplify.

Plus I read earlier on about most people preferring to sit side on at matches I include myself I this. Plus a lot of the east standees are known to use the occasional bout of colourful language. The FF being more youngster friendly as it were might not be the greatest place for them to increase their vocabulary.

pentlando
12-12-2011, 01:30 PM
IMO opinion you can't beat the most noisy fans being behind the goals. Think this is the case in most countries where the atmosphere is better, especially Germany. However we can't just go uprooting fans that could have been sitting there for 20 years. The reason we could do it in the East was due to the new stand opening, so no-one was forced to move to other parts of the ground.

tamig
12-12-2011, 05:33 PM
A non starter IMO. The singing section in the east is roughly the same place as most of the songs started in the old east. The acoustics at the back of the stand help generate more noise. If they were down the front the sound waves would disapate out and not amplify.

Plus I read earlier on about most people preferring to sit side on at matches I include myself I this. Plus a lot of the east standees are known to use the occasional bout of colourful language. The FF being more youngster friendly as it were might not be the greatest place for them to increase their vocabulary.

Don't think so. There have been many occasions over the past few seasons where 400-500 away fans in the lower South have made a pretty good racket.

Malthibby
12-12-2011, 05:36 PM
I like to have a wee nap in the FF upper so I don't want a bunch of toneless East standers
coming over and ruining the peace & quiet.

Gingertosser
13-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Do the singing section realise they can't be heard from the main stand, never mind the away end :confused:

I'm sure they think they sound like Lazio Ultras, but, erm, sadly not :rolleyes:

Keith_M
13-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Do the singing section realise they can't be heard from the main stand, never mind the away end :confused:

I'm sure they think they sound like Lazio Ultras, but, erm, sadly not :rolleyes:

Do the Main Standites realise that the sound of rustling sweetie papers doesn't transmit well to the other parts of the ground?

:na na:

Jack
13-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Do the singing section realise they can't be heard from the main stand, never mind the away end http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/confused2.gif

I'm sure they think they sound like Lazio Ultras, but, erm, sadly not http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/rolleyes2.gif

I have friends who are diagonally opposite the singing section. They quite often comment on the singing – so they can hear it.

Just imagine if the singing section had something to actually sing about!

Just imagine if the singing sneaked along the East and maybe a wee chorus from the FF and maybe a wee chorus and verse joined in from the West????

Just imagine :greengrin

Geo_1875
13-12-2011, 12:24 PM
I have friends who are diagonally opposite the singing section. They quite often comment on the singing – so they can hear it.

Just imagine if the singing sneaked along the East and maybe a wee chorus from the FF and maybe a wee chorus and verse joined in from the West????

The West Stand is full of chorus and verses.

Jack
13-12-2011, 01:15 PM
The West Stand is full of chorus and verses.

Still doesn't rhyme with gingertosser though :faf:

Keith_M
13-12-2011, 01:22 PM

I can vouch for this. I've sat in the north end of the West Stand a couple of times in the past year or so and could definitely hear the singing. I even heard it in the friendly against the Bohs, when the crowd was pretty low.

I agree that when we get a team on the park worth watching, the atmosphere will improve enormously.

Phil D. Rolls
13-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Do the Main Standites realise that the sound of rustling sweetie papers doesn't transmit well to the other parts of the ground?

:na na:

The main stand don't call themselves the Singing Section, so they have less to worry about than a group who have set themselves up to be the cheerleaders for the team. As for the suggestion about the FF - it's the family section of the ground, and isn't that visible to the rest of the stadium anyway.

Tbh, I've never been in favour of an organised singing section anyway, far too clean cut IMO. I read the 12th nan posts from time to time, and it seems to me they have a disproportionate view of their importance. By the sound of things, they are people with delusions of adequacy. Hibees, Hibees, cha cha cha!

At The Edge
13-12-2011, 01:37 PM

I'll take the recent Rangers game as a fact that the away fans can indeed hear what is being sung by the East stand, the gestures towards us when they heard songs about soap and giros were clearly visable to me :greengrin

Anyway my point is as we can't be heard from the West stand, what would you like us to do about it? you could come over to the east and give some support if that takes your fancy? Its easy enough to swop your seat over for a game, the ticket office is very helpful in that respect.
You could start your own songs in the west and see if you can generate some noise and hopefully it'll spread over to the FF and East so we can join in?

I accept that what the singing section does isn't everyones cup of tea, i also accept 'constructive criticism' of the group, but instead of just saying we basically suck, give some ideas on how we could improve it, not just another negative lets bash the folk who are trying to create a bit of noise and colour inside ER.

i welcome your ideas

happiehibbie
13-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Eh No Thanks i think the singing section has to much to say on what goes on at ER.

I await the abuse

RIP
13-12-2011, 10:19 PM

You don't seriously think that the dump you call the West Stand is the main stand at Easter Road - do you? :na na:

On Saturday you could have all fitted in the Famous Five with room to spare

happiehibbie
14-12-2011, 08:27 AM
You don't seriously think that the dump you call the West Stand is the main stand at Easter Road - do you? :na na:

On Saturday you could have all fitted in the Famous Five with room to spare

Is that how you think of our stadium a dump !!! Main stand is certinly not a dump but it is our Main Stand

I have more people in my house that what is classed as the singing section

Jonnyboy
14-12-2011, 08:21 PM
The main stand don't call themselves the Singing Section, so they have less to worry about than a group who have set themselves up to be the cheerleaders for the team. As for the suggestion about the FF - it's the family section of the ground, and isn't that visible to the rest of the stadium anyway.

Tbh, I've never been in favour of an organised singing section anyway, far too clean cut IMO. I read the 12th nan posts from time to time, and it seems to me they have a disproportionate view of their importance. By the sound of things, they are people with delusions of adequacy. Hibees, Hibees, cha cha cha!

Uncharacteristically uncharitable FR. The 'group who set themselves up' should be applauded for making the effort IMO. If they didn't sing ER would be like Pittodrie - dead. Maybe instead of slating fellow fans who are at least making the effort you should pop along and help them improve the atmosphere instead of having a cheap pop at them on here

Jonnyboy
14-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Eh No Thanks i think the singing section has to much to say on what goes on at ER.

I await the abuse

In what way? Care to elaborate?

Is that how you think of our stadium a dump !!! Main stand is certinly not a dump but it is our Main Stand

You must live in a helluva big house then. The 'dump' comment was made in jest by the way

RIP
14-12-2011, 08:39 PM

Sorry - they don't call you 'HappieHibbie for nothing - do they. Sspose it stops you shouting at the players I guess

We had 300 people singing on Saturday. Can I visit your palace sometime soon?

tamig
14-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Sorry - they don't call you 'HappieHibbie for nothing - do they. Sspose it stops you shouting at the players I guess

We had 300 people singing on Saturday. Can I visit your palace sometime soon?

I do think your intentions are good but I share the view of some others that it is a sad state of affairs it's come to this. When all we have to brag about is that we had 300 singers at a game against the hun, what a long way we've fallen. just a few short years ago we had 1000s singing regularly at games. And none of it organised.

vercol36
15-12-2011, 09:46 AM
I do think your intentions are good but I share the view of some others that it is a sad state of affairs it's come to this. When all we have to brag about is that we had 300 singers at a game against the hun, what a long way we've fallen. just a few short years ago we had 1000s singing regularly at games. And none of it organised.

hmmmmmmmm :wink:

proud_and_green
15-12-2011, 12:07 PM

That almost sounds like 'believe'!

RIP
15-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Sorry Tamig I have to challenge this falsehood you are promoting

Who on this sorry earth is bragging about having 300 singers? Certainly not me. I was merely responding (humourously) to HH's blaw that all the singers in Easter Road could fit in his hoose

I went to my first game in the spring of 1961 and have been singing at matches since the late 60's. I attended home and away through the 70's until work away, marriage and kids intervened. I was always in the thick of the singing but I certainly can't remember many occasions (Derbies, Europe and Hampden apart) when our singing was significant enough to make a difference to performances on the park.

Immediately prior to the building of the East Stand I attended every home game and apart from a couple of hundred brave souls under the gantry no-one sang at all, other than immediately following a goal. It was far more likely that you would hear abuse shouted at Riordan, Nish or Mixu. We had an average of 1800 supporters in that old East Terrace out of a capacity of 3,200. A year ago we were getting about 4,000 regulars in the East out of a capacity of 6,400.

That's about 800 a section. When the singing section grew I think there were about 600 or 700 singing across the tops of sections 42 through 44. If that proves anything, it tells me that without the focus of a dedicated area, our gantry bhoys would have been spread all over the stand and there would have been no focal point for standing and singing. That's been the sole driver for our singing section. Apart from that there is virtually no 'organisation' of singing as you call it

The only sad state of affairs is our home performances which are keeping supporters (singing or otherwise) away in their droves

happiehibbie
15-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Sorry Tamig I have to challenge this falsehood you are promoting

Who on this sorry earth is bragging about having 300 singers? Certainly not me. I was merely responding (humourously) to HH's blaw that all the singers in Easter Road could fit in his hoose

I went to my first game in the spring of 1961 and have been singing at matches since the late 60's. I attended home and away through the 70's until work away, marriage and kids intervened. I was always in the thick of the singing but I certainly can't remember many occasions (Derbies, Europe and Hampden apart) when our singing was significant enough to make a difference to performances on the park.

Immediately prior to the building of the East Stand I attended every home game and apart from a couple of hundred brave souls under the gantry no-one sang at all, other than immediately following a goal. It was far more likely that you would hear abuse shouted at Riordan, Nish or Mixu. We had an average of 1800 supporters in that old East Terrace out of a capacity of 3,200. A year ago we were getting about 4,000 regulars in the East out of a capacity of 6,400.

That's about 800 a section. When the singing section grew I think there were about 600 or 700 singing across the tops of sections 42 through 44. If that proves anything, it tells me that without the focus of a dedicated area, our gantry bhoys would have been spread all over the stand and there would have been no focal point for standing and singing. That's been the sole driver for our singing section. Apart from that there is virtually no 'organisation' of singing as you call it

The only sad state of affairs is our home performances which are keeping supporters (singing or otherwise) away in their droves

I agree with you fans are ataying away because we are very poor Like you i was have a bit of a laugh re more people in my house. If the guys want to stand in a section and sing then each to thee own I dont want to do this but will when the Hibs are playing better and producing results at the moment am not that close to being a happiehibbie :flag: