PDA

View Full Version : Why Watch Football from Behind the Goals?

Scouse Hibee
10-12-2011, 08:22 PM
I spent many of my younger years watching football from behind the goals (not the BTG bar at Hibs) out of choice, now I would never out of choice go in a stand behind the goals if the option to go in a side stand is available.
The view and perspective of the far end of the pitch is IMO crap and it's hard to tell sometimes what has actually happened/ball in or out etc. I sit in the West Upper and love the overall view of the pitch and how you can see so much better the game developing, movement off the ball etc.

Am I just getting old? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
10-12-2011, 08:23 PM
I spent many of my younger years watching football from behind the goals (not the BTG bar at Hibs) out of choice, now I would never out of choice go in a stand behind the goals if the option to go in a side stand is available.
The view and perspective of the far end of the pitch is IMO crap and it's hard to tell sometimes what has actually happened/ball in or out etc. I sit in the West Upper and love the overall view of the pitch and how you can see so much better the game developing, movement off the ball etc.

Speaking as an expert on the subject .............. yes :greengrin

Like you I used to go behind the goals but in those days you could swap ends etc. Nowadays I'd always pick a side on view, given the option

Malthibby
10-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Yes.
You can see when you're young & cannat when your'e old. Simples.
When you get older you need all the help you can get so you need a better view.
And a soft cushion. And probably shoup.
GG

Scouse Hibee
10-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Speaking as an expert on the subject .............. yes :greengrin

Like you I used to go behind the goals but in those days you could swap ends etc. Nowadays I'd always pick a side on view, given the option

Not in my time! :greengrin

sleeping giant
10-12-2011, 08:28 PM
I've sat behind the goals for a few years now. I only sat there to begin with as it was the cheapest ST on offer.
Now i just can't be ersed changing seats. I say every year that i'm going to move to the West Stand but i never do. Its much easier to just renew .
I agree though. View from the West Stand is far superior.

James70
10-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I was a Stretford Ender in my school days, a whole gang of us from school would go to the match together and stand right down by the pitch at the back of the goal. Fantastic times but I would agree that it must have been an age thing though it was good to be so close to the goalmouth action at one end of the pitch at least.

Nuitdelune
10-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Directly behind the goal is great when there is a goal, better than anywhere else, and is good for not seeing when there is more than likely to be a goal at other end, saves looking behind your hands

hibee_girl
10-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I hate sitting behind the goals, always have done! :agree:

frazeHFC
10-12-2011, 08:42 PM
My seat in the middle of the FF is great. I prefer being behind a goal.

Hibs Class
10-12-2011, 08:43 PM
The FF upper is pretty decent as the height gives a decent sense of depth, but I do prefer the side view and moved back to the east when it was reopened.

LancashireHibby
10-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I don't mind it to be honest. Have always sat along the side at ER bar being in the South Stand for the Maribor game but always had a season ticket behind the goals at Bolton (and likewise behind the posts at Leigh rugby) and like to see things from what is really the players perspective.

Sir David Gray
10-12-2011, 09:57 PM
The only way I would ever contemplate sitting, through choice, in a stand behind a goal is if I was near the back of the stand.

I almost always have to sit right at the bottom, when I'm at an away game and the view is awful.

iwasthere1972
10-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I had the misfortune of sitting in the FF lower on the evening we beat Livingston 7-0. Besides the view being rubbish there was also photographers blocking my sight of the game. Add that to the constant stream of fans continually getting up for a toilet break or food made for a frustrating evening and I have my doubts if I even saw any of the Hibs goals. FF upper is fine but I tend to sit in the east or occasionally in the west.

judas
10-12-2011, 10:04 PM

It's a really good point.

As a youngster I watched from the Cowshed.

You couldn't really see anything at the other end of the pitch and generally started celebrating a goal when everyone else did.

In the new FF stand, it is great when we are attacking that end, but it can be quite yad when going the other way.

I wonder if any architects have ever addressed this in stadium design. I know Wolves main stands are bow shaped so that those at the extreme ends get a better view (free of columns unlike out old west stand). Would a stadium without goal end stands work if the mains where designed differently? Hmmm?

Iggy Pope
10-12-2011, 10:09 PM

I've had the same seat in the front row of the FF Upper since it was built and I can't see me swapping it.

That Kop of yours must be garbage :wink:

ballengeich
10-12-2011, 11:34 PM

Yes you're getting old, but with it you're acquiring understanding.:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
10-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Yes you're getting old, but with it you're acquiring understanding.:greengrin

:greengrin

EVENTUALLY
11-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Behind the goals offers the best view to quickly work out the formation and tactics which is sometimes not so obvious from a side view, and some goals look in all the way before they hit the net which is great when they are Hibs goals :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Have to say that when we are away at grounds like Fir Park or East End Park, I hate having to watch the game end on. Where we get put at Pittodire is more or less the same view that I have from the east, but I used to hate the old beach end as well.

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2011, 11:41 AM
My seat in the middle of the FF is great. I prefer being behind a goal.This :agree:

I sat in the new east for the Ayr cup game and the west for the Bohs friendly and tbh I prefer the FF to both.

heretoday
11-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Used to be great in the Cave when the Hibs goals went in. Jumping up and down and falling about.

You can't go back.

NAE NOOKIE
11-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Moved to the East from the FF where I had sat for years at the start of this season, mostly coz the folk I sit with wanted to move there.

I would move back to the FF in a heartbeat given the choice, You can see the play build up a lot better from behind the goals.