PDA

View Full Version : Vampires for Goalies

Amit
10-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Time and time again we lose the same goal as our goalies do not come for crosses...

IMHO anything in the six yard box should be the keepers...

Stack/Brown - Great shot stoppers but we need a commanding goalkeeper....

Thought we played well today and if we play like that and to that standard we'll be ok...

Pretty Boy
10-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Aah the old myth that anything in the 6 yard box should be the keepers. So if a ball is drilled in at chest height how does a keeper running into a crowd of bodies help anyone?

FWIW I agree Stack could be more commanding but some folk who know hee haw about goalkeeping seem to expect keepers to come for everything. There are plenty example of good keepers who don't come for crosses, Shay Given being the best current example.

LeithBoozy
10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
100% right, static should be his name.:rolleyes:

Amit
10-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Aah the old myth that anything in the 6 yard box should be the keepers. So if a ball is drilled in at chest height how does a keeper running into a crowd of bodies help anyone?

FWIW I agree Stack could be more commanding but some folk who know hee haw about goalkeeping seem to expect keepers to come for everything. There are plenty example of good keepers who don't come for crosses, Shay Given being the best current example.

Well at the very least we need a goalkeeper who can command his area as both Stack and Brown, whilst being good shot stoppers, do not do this. I am just fed up of seeing us give away the same type of goals. Particularly from crosses... which in my opinion is not only the defender's responsibility but the goalies too.

For the goals hibs have conceeded from crosses/corner this season do you think the goalkeeper could have done better? I do.

Pretty Boy
10-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Well at the very least we need a goalkeeper who can command his area as both Stack and Brown, whilst being good shot stoppers, do not do this. I am just fed up of seeing us give away the same type of goals. Particularly from crosses... which in my opinion is not only the defender's responsibility but the goalies too.

For the goals hibs have conceeded from crosses/corner this season do you think the goalkeeper could have done better? I do.

Yes and no.

Against St Johnstone the other week Stack should do better, the ball was hanging in the air a long time with no related pressure on it. Today maybe not. There was 2 defenders better placed to deal and it would have involved coming through a lot of bodies.

My point was though that to say anyhing in the 6 yard box is the keepers is simplistic. If a keeper tries to come through a crowded area and doesn't get there the goal is totally unprotected. Really a keeper should only be coming if he is 100% sure and the ball is high enough he has a real advantage over the attacker.

Amit
10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
IMHO he could have come for the cross for their second goal. It was good ball in but any goalie worth their salt would have either taken it or punched it clear. Stack did neither and in my opinion is just as at fault for the second goal as Michael Hart who failed to beat Jelavic to the ball.

AlbertK86
10-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I was just logging into to start a thread on this very subject.

I keep banging on about this but this has been a massive problem for us this season. We have lost numerous games due to this.

Hopefully PF can find us somebody who will command his area