PDA

View Full Version : Brines

snooky
10-12-2011, 03:16 PM
As someone who has an extensive record for slating referees and their standards + OF bias, can I hold up my hand and say I thought Mr Brines handled the game really well today. IMO he was fair and got most, if not all, of the major decisions correct.
Well done ref. :aok:

Hibs Class
10-12-2011, 04:05 PM
I agree. I thought he favoured Jelavic over O'Hanlon a little too often and he got a couple of throw ins in front of the east wrong, but got the major ones right.

one day maybe...
10-12-2011, 04:28 PM
As someone who has an extensive record for slating referees and their standards + OF bias, can I hold up my hand and say I thought Mr Brines handled the game really well today. IMO he was fair and got most, if not all, of the major decisions correct.
Well done ref. :aok:

Is that you Ally? :greengrin

Future17
10-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Fair comment. I think the only thing he should have done better with was McCulloch's off the ball kick on Stevenson. Merited a yellow in my book.

LeithBoozy
10-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Have Hibs ever won a game with that twat in charge?, IMHO he should wear a Rangers top and be done with it.:rolleyes:

hibsfan7
10-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Yes the ivan sproule hatrick game

:not worth:not worth:not worth

frazeHFC
10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
:faf:

The ref was a joke!

hibsbollah
10-12-2011, 06:11 PM
He gave us more 50-50s than he gave them. I'm not sure we have any grounds for complaint.

Hibs Class
10-12-2011, 06:31 PM
:faf::greengrin

The ref was a joke!

I'm guessing either a) your train got stuck in the snow or b) you got smoke in your eyes.

hibsbollah
10-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Fair comment. I think the only thing he should have done better with was McCulloch's off the ball kick on Stevenson. Merited a yellow in my book. Ozzie went through McCulloch like a train on the half hour, fairly, and left him limping for 5 mins after. Lewis and Ozzie won the midfield battle fairly and Brines let things flow in that key area IMO. Much rather him than, say, Collum, who blows up every chance he gets.

Black Kyle
10-12-2011, 07:07 PM
He seemed to pull up Hibs players for all challenges in the first 5 minutes but after this he seemed to ket the game flow as much as possible unless to book on the spot.

I was at the other end of the East for the pen but saw Hart was on the wrong side and had 'hands on' - still not sure it was enough to go down - TV pics will satisfy me one way or another.

Jonnyboy
10-12-2011, 07:15 PM
He seemed to pull up Hibs players for all challenges in the first 5 minutes but after this he seemed to ket the game flow as much as possible unless to book on the spot.

I was at the other end of the East for the pen but saw Hart was on the wrong side and had 'hands on' - still not sure it was enough to go down - TV pics will satisfy me one way or another.

I was much closer BK and sadly it was a stonewaller

At The Edge
10-12-2011, 07:20 PM
How much does Jellywitch like to moan, everytime he lost the ball or was challenged he was moaning. Should have been booked for that:wink:
Thought Brines had a decent game, pretty much let the game flow.

Jonnyboy
10-12-2011, 07:21 PM
How much does Jellywitch like to moan, everytime he lost the ball or was challenged he was moaning. Should have been booked for that:wink:
Thought Brines had a decent game, pretty much let the game flow.

:greengrin or maybe either or both times he ran off the pitch to celebrate his goals with the Huns behind the goal

At The Edge
10-12-2011, 07:39 PM
:greengrin or maybe either or both times he ran off the pitch to celebrate his goals with the Huns behind the goal

i actually thought that Brines was going to book someone after the second went in, he went over and went to his pocket......but alas it was to write something down and not send anyone off

Hibs Class
10-12-2011, 07:45 PM
:greengrin or maybe either or both times he ran off the pitch to celebrate his goals with the Huns behind the goal Pretty sure he stayed pitch-side of the advertising boards both times so I don't think we can moan about that either.

frazeHFC
10-12-2011, 10:23 PM
One thing that really annoyed me in the first half today, was the amount of times Brines got in the way of our players. Twice in a few minutes it happened with Stevenson, one of which he had to foul the guy as he had not been able to go in from the right angle as the ref blocked him.

snooky
11-12-2011, 02:41 PM
One thing that really annoyed me in the first half today, was the amount of times Brines got in the way of our players. Twice in a few minutes it happened with Stevenson, one of which he had to foul the guy as he had not been able to go in from the right angle as the ref blocked him.

I saw that too. Mind you, I'll draw the line when he starts tackling our players. :wink:

Sergeant Hibs
11-12-2011, 02:47 PM
You are forgetting when Galbraith had the ball on the wing and the defender (I think it might've been Whittaker) had he's hands all over him and this resulted in Rangers going up the park winning a corner and Michael Hart being a fud

Bayern Bru
11-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Due to work was sadly watching it on TV but not once was I up in arms at the ref - in fact, failed to really notice him which says a lot. Penalty was cute but a definite penalty and no complaints really for the rest of the performance.

Was Mr Brines feeling okay? :greengrin

Geo_1875
11-12-2011, 03:24 PM
First half Rangers defender takes out Garry on the wing, misses the ball completely. Either a free kick to Hibs and a booking for defender or ref bottles it and Rangers throw in. Linesman looks at Brines and awaits his decision. Result throw in to Hibs. Brines is one of those refs who will give Hibs easy decisions in the middle of the park but **** you over in either penalty box.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-12-2011, 04:05 PM
IMO Brines had a decent game yesterday and if we get that week in week out in the SPL I would be more than happy.

Future17
11-12-2011, 07:01 PM
First half Rangers defender takes out Garry on the wing, misses the ball completely. Either a free kick to Hibs and a booking for defender or ref bottles it and Rangers throw in. Linesman looks at Brines and awaits his decision. Result throw in to Hibs. Brines is one of those refs who will give Hibs easy decisions in the middle of the park but **** you over in either penalty box.

That was right in front of where I sit. O'Connor had basically dribbled the ball out of play and Whittaker, for reasons known only to him, decided to slide in across the touchline. Didn't touch the ball but blocked Brines' view. Linesman was about 25 yards away and had no chance of seeing who touched it last.

I think we got the throw because O'Connor ended up on the ground but didn't think it was a foul.

ChilliEater
12-12-2011, 07:26 AM
I thought he gave a host of odd decisions - free kicks for nothing, nothing for clear fouls - but they went both ways, rather than favouring one side. My grumbles were for Goian "shielding" the ball by throwing an elbow into Galbraith's face and Bendikson going studs up over the ball into Ivan (?) - both straight red offences and the Galbraith one was in the area, so should have been a penalty. Or maybe I'm just biased :wink:

brog
12-12-2011, 10:32 AM
I was much closer BK and sadly it was a stonewaller

I must have my green tinted specs on John but in all my years of watching footy it's the first time I've seen a pen given for a defender trapping a player's arm with his arm. If you're holding a player back you do it with your hand. There's a large pic in DR today which shows Wallace & Hart with arms interlocked & both only looking for the ball. It's completely a 50/50 situation but one which Wallace was clever enough to turn to his advantage. Does anyone honestly think the same decision would have been given at the other end?
FWIW I think Brines has greatly improved, I said so pre game, but it's always easy to give the OF a pen.

hibsbollah
12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
in all my years of watching footy it's the first time I've seen a pen given for a defender trapping a player's arm with his arm. If you're holding a player back you do it with your hand. I think this is more evidence of Hart's general cackhandedness than anything else :greengrin: Definite penalty.

pentlando
12-12-2011, 12:34 PM
I agree generally with this post, good refereeing performance. There was no decisions that i thought he got completely wrong that i couldn't understand. The two throw ins he messed up, one either way iirc, probably needed more help from his assistant. As for the penalty decision for me it was a coin toss. Yes it was probably a foul, but enough to merit a penalty i don't know. Either way he would have had complaints so I can understand that one, being in front of the smellies probably swung it.

On a separate note, is it not about time there was some sort of free-kick in the box created, when there are fouls (such as obstructions ets) that are fouls elsewhere but really don't merit a free shot from 12 yards? For me, there is no way that Hart's foul on the byeline merits a penalty. There would have had to be another couple of phases before Rangers could have worked an opportunity that equalled a penalty scenario.

Jonnyboy
12-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I must have my green tinted specs on John but in all my years of watching footy it's the first time I've seen a pen given for a defender trapping a player's arm with his arm. If you're holding a player back you do it with your hand. There's a large pic in DR today which shows Wallace & Hart with arms interlocked & both only looking for the ball. It's completely a 50/50 situation but one which Wallace was clever enough to turn to his advantage. Does anyone honestly think the same decision would have been given at the other end?
FWIW I think Brines has greatly improved, I said so pre game, but it's always easy to give the OF a pen.

Having watched it again from a different angle than the one I had at the match I agree with your take on it :agree:

Joe Baker II
13-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Has the 2008-09 Morton game been forgotten - Brines comes across as one of the most arrogant referees I have ever seen and although Saturdat decsion was a clear penalty, have never rated him. A pity Hibs Board at time never gave Paatelanien the support that even Hearts gave to Sergio after Ayr game recently.