PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Griffiths

Monts
10-12-2011, 03:12 PM
No idea how he is signed to a premiership club.

Not sure hes even good enough for the SPL.

Westie1875
10-12-2011, 03:13 PM

Agree with this, would much rather re-sign Riordan in Jan than extend Griffiths loan.

SteveHFC
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Agree with this, would much rather re-sign Riordan in Jan than extend Griffiths loan.

I would rather sign Griffiths on a permanent deal than re-sign Riordan.

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
I kind of agree and disagree. :wink: He clearly is not EPL standard, i think we'd all agree with that? Yet sometimes he looks very good, and finishes clinically like he did away at StMirren. Yet when he has time, and needs to think about the finish, he seems to panic a little, like against the smellies and again today.

He's not had long at this level, and has shown in flashes he can be good enough. At the end of the day, he's not even our player, and if and when he does, thats when i will worry about him making the grade in the SPL.

judas
10-12-2011, 03:19 PM
I kind of agree and disagree. :wink: He clearly is not EPL standard, i think we'd all agree with that? Yet sometimes he looks very good, and finishes clinically like he did away at StMirren. Yet when he has time, and needs to think about the finish, he seems to panic a little, like against the smellies and again today.

He's not had long at this level, and has shown in flashes he can be good enough. At the end of the day, he's not even our player, and if and when he does, thats when i will worry about him making the grade in the SPL.

Yup. Would agree with that.:agree:

matty_f
10-12-2011, 03:19 PM

Agree with this. I'm still undecided on Griffiths. There's definitely a player there, but he's not at all convincing at SPL level yet.

Captain Trips
10-12-2011, 03:26 PM

I think this is one of the problems in having players on 6 month deals not enough time to build then not enough time to get past a bad performance, every striker we have had has had afternoons like today but most have been here long enough to build past it. At times we are maybe looking for a striker to cram 2/3 years of performance into 10-15 matches.

IMO I think he is good enough or shows signs of being good enough.

PeterboroHibee
10-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Think theres a player in there but hes not performed so far imo. Panics at key moments and his decision making is poor at times, he can be a bit greedy. He put in a decent shift covering his defender today (not that that helped with Hart at RB), but going forward he wasnt great.

Winston Ingram
10-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I would rather sign Griffiths on a permanent deal than re-sign Riordan.

I'd bypass the pair of them:agree:

Sumner
10-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Anyone sneezes in the crowd, and he falls over
.. no way does he have the physicality for the EPL

O'Rourke3
10-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Not sure on him yet. Seems to pick up bookings for revenge or rage. While he's shown a few good finishes he's had good chances against both C & R and failed badly. Not sure whether he's a confidence player and because there's a lack of belief everywhere else he's caught it too.

He clearly wants to play for Hibs but I think he's too emotional.

Hibs Class
10-12-2011, 03:58 PM
I think his confidence must be suffering like many in the team. He has had several bad misses in the last few games although maybe fortunately a few happened after he was already offside. I reckon we will be trying to extend his loan and I will be interested to see what Fenlon can get out of him over the next month our two.

Hibbyradge
10-12-2011, 03:58 PM
I'd bypass the pair of them:agree:

:agree:

Sir David Gray
10-12-2011, 04:02 PM
He's not done nearly enough to suggest that he deserves an extension to his loan deal at Hibs.

He's a decent player but nothing more than that, based on what I've seen over the past few months.

lucky
10-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Barn door (Leigh Griffiths)is not good enough in a poor Hibs side never mind the EPL. I would not extend his loan period

.Sean.
10-12-2011, 04:04 PM
'Premiership class' yer arse. He's pish.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Remember that although he is on loan from an EPL team, that does not mean that he is EPL standard. In reality he is a player that was a stickout at SFL level, now trying to see if he can step up to SPL. So what we are seeing from him is not altogether unexpected. The issue is that for a first pick striker, he should be doing better. Not sure he came to us as a first pick though.

scotiaf
10-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Think he has good potential, a good shot(not today)

I would certainly be keen to get him tied up till end of the year.

He can bring something out of nothing.. we don't have many players in our team that can do that.

greenlex
10-12-2011, 04:16 PM
I think he is trying too hard. I think Garry O Connor is Pish.

East Coast Hibe
10-12-2011, 04:20 PM
for a first pick striker.

He is a striker - give him a chance. Hibs have been playing one up front because we are ***** this season.

I hope Pat F starts to play with 2 up front and I am sure we will see the best of him

Alfred E Newman
10-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Think he has good potential, a good shot(not today)

I would certainly be keen to get him tied up till end of the year.

He can bring something out of nothing.. we don't have many players in our team that can do that.

Not since Deeks left we don`t.

Pretty Boy
10-12-2011, 04:43 PM
In fairness to the guy how many games has he had in his natural position?

There's a player in there somewhere no doubt, he's still a young guy and needs time to mature and improve his decision making.

Then again people on this forum never rated Steven Fletcher and thought we could 'easily' replace Whittaker so I suppose I shouldnt be surprised to see Griffiths written off as pish.

bingo70
10-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Wasn't impressed with his clapping of the huns fans at all, don't know if it was ironic or a ray wilkins moment, either way no excuse for it.

Needs to concentrate on the game and not get caught up in arguments with the crowds as it clearly effects his game when he gets singled out for attention by opposition fans

Hibbyradge
10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Not good enough and he'll be on the end of a fine after his gesture too.

Sir David Gray
10-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Wasn't impressed with his clapping of the huns fans at all, don't know if it was ironic or a ray wilkins moment, either way no excuse for it.

Needs to concentrate on the game and not get caught up in arguments with the crowds as it clearly effects his game when he gets singled out for attention by opposition fans

It was definitely sarcastic.

They gave him a hard time when his number went up to come off, hence his reaction.

hibee92
10-12-2011, 04:54 PM
rate him and think he could be class. sign him IMO :agree:

JimBHibees
10-12-2011, 05:03 PM
I think we should give him a break, he is young and very immature shown by his decision to make a gesture to the Gers fans for IMO no reason. He should concentrate on the game more rather than fighting with everyone. I think he has loads of ability as thought he was excellent at Parkhead. There is definitely ability there so IMO we should persevere and would be glad if his loan was extended. He has already scored a few and would get more than 10 goals by end of the season IMO.

Disco Dave
10-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Definitely not good enough, frustrating as hell. I'd swap him for Riordan in a heartbeat.

MUPPET
10-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Absolutely Gash no where near good enough a slower version of Ivan "the really terrible " Sproule!

BT58
10-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Espn covered so called gesture,, west coast media creaming themslves
Could be a ban cuoming up
Bt

Sergeant Hibs
10-12-2011, 06:02 PM
In my opinion he's part of an ever increasing number of players i call erm *****

BEEJ
10-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Despite all his critics on here, Griffiths offers us a style of play and type of goal threat that no-one else in the squad currently offers. Moreover he is desperate to do well for a club that he has supported all his life and he is within Hibs price range.

According to the EEN we are on the verge of extending his loan deal until the end of the season. Both clubs appear to have reached agreement and it's just a matter of the paperwork to be completed.

So we'd all better get behind this lad and support him to the better standard of play of which he is undoubtedly capable. His goals are going to be of great value to us as the season wears on.

ancient hibee
10-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Everyone misses goals but his first touch for a senior player is abysmal and there is absolutely no excuse for it as he obviously does not work on his game.

silverhibee
10-12-2011, 06:12 PM
I think we should give him a break, he is young and very immature shown by his decision to make a gesture to the Gers fans for IMO no reason. He should concentrate on the game more rather than fighting with everyone. I think he has loads of ability as thought he was excellent at Parkhead. There is definitely ability there so IMO we should persevere and would be glad if his loan was extended. He has already scored a few and would get more than 10 goals by end of the season IMO.

He has only got three goals so far for Hibs, if his concentration was better he may have had more.

Bit in bold. Do you see that as a decent return for a player that plays upfront. :wink:

SRHibs
10-12-2011, 06:13 PM
What a ****ing shocking performance that was by Griffiths. Lost the ball almost every time he had it.

JimBHibees
10-12-2011, 06:18 PM
He has only got three goals so far for Hibs, if his concentration was better he may have had more.

Bit in bold. Do you see that as a decent return for a player that plays upfront. :wink:

He is still a raw player and needs to calm down, get his head down and concentrate on his game.

He has loads of ability however distracts himself by getting involved in nonsense.

Ten is a reasonable number for someone still learning the game and also he creates for others and to be honest I could see him getting more with a bit of confidence. He has pace which isnt something we want to be getting rid of too readily as we aren't endowned with too much of it.

JimBHibees
10-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Despite all his critics on here, Griffiths offers us a style of play and type of goal threat that no-one else in the squad currently offers. Moreover he is desperate to do well for a club that he has supported all his life and he is within Hibs price range.

According to the EEN we are on the verge of extending his loan deal until the end of the season. Both clubs appear to have reached agreement and it's just a matter of the paperwork to be completed.

So we'd all better get behind this lad and support him to the better standard of play of which he is undoubtedly capable. His goals are going to be of great value to us as the season wears on.

Totally agree.

silverhibee
10-12-2011, 06:21 PM

If i was LG i would be wanting to head back to Wolves to try and impress MM in some reserve games down there or maybe even going back out on loan to a Championship team down South to play football.

I think he will wait and see where Hibs are in the league after the Derby game and if its not looking good for us he will be back down to Wolves. imo.

Hibs Class
10-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Espn covered so called gesture,, west coast media creaming themslvesCould be a ban cuoming upBt There's no danger of a ban for that. Nothing offensive in what he did.

matty_f
10-12-2011, 06:24 PM

Leigh's finding his feet in the SPL - he's not played at this level before (AFAIK) but he's definitely got talent. He should hopefully improve as he becomes more used to this level. I can understand why Wolves would be happy to see his loan extended as gaining this experience is invaluable for Leigh, IMHO.

Paisley Hibby
10-12-2011, 06:31 PM

This pretty much sums up my view of him as well. I can see him getting a cracking goal against the Yams and, if he does, there will be no holding him back.

As for his gesture today - it happened in front of where I sit. As far as I could see he fell to the ground after failing to the get the ball in a chase with Wallace. He lay on his back in a star shape and, and as far as I could see, was laughing about it. I thought good for him, he's not letting it get to him. So I was really taken aback when he got up and made some gesture (I couldn't quite see what) towards the weegie hoards. Of course, being wee sensitive souls they immediately reacted as you would expect. No doubt there will be mock horror and pained outrage about this from the weegie press. I hope Griffiths regrets what he did but I suspect that, on a personal level, he's not the brightest tool in the box.

BT58
10-12-2011, 06:37 PM
There's no danger of a ban for that. Nothing offensive in what he did.

So suarez ( sp) does a middle finger,, hes being tiuted as an 8 match ban
Griffiths does a gesture to huns
ESPN (sky) will be showing it all week
Ban looks ominous
Bt

hibee_girl
10-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I like Griffiths but he certainly isn't as good as he thinks he is, he's never a Premiership player. Saying all that I don't think he's comfortable being played where he is right now, we've seem much better performances from him when he's played as a striker.

Dr Jimmy
10-12-2011, 06:58 PM
For me the mark of a good striker is what he does with a chance when he has time, unfortunately when Griffiths has time he misses.
Sorry, but flatters to deceive and gets away with a lot from the fans as he is a Hibby.

Captain Trips
10-12-2011, 11:58 PM
I remember when Steven Fletcher first started playing, missed a lot of one on ones and at times didnt look part however he was on a decent length of contract and through time and more importantly games he started to get better and better, LG might be same we would soon forget todays if in 6 months time he had developed however due to the contract length all performances are far more concentrated.

This is why we need to start bringing in players for longer term aims.

SRHibs
11-12-2011, 12:11 AM
I remember when Steven Fletcher first started playing, missed a lot of one on ones and at times didnt look part however he was on a decent length of contract and through time and more importantly games he started to get better and better, LG might be same we would soon forget todays if in 6 months time he had developed however due to the contract length all performances are far more concentrated.

This is why we need to start bringing in players for longer term aims.

Steven Fletcher was only 17-18 at that point to be fair. Leigh Griffiths looked a bit of a player at Dundee, but looks to have regressed dramatically. If he's going to perform like that every week, then I'd rather not wait around while he develops.

Captain Trips
11-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Steven Fletcher was only 17-18 at that point to be fair. Leigh Griffiths looked a bit of a player at Dundee, but looks to have regressed dramatically. If he's going to perform like that every week, then I'd rather not wait around while he develops.

I am not saying we should wait just pointing out most players need more than 6 months to have decent ups and downs in form, LG might have form issues now and we might never see the full ability.

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Falls on his erse, opposition fans slag him off and he shows them the finger pretty daft thing to do. Just means every time he gets the ball after that the opposition fans (all 3500) are at him the rest of the game. He has an awful lot to learn. EPL player? He's still well short of being an SPL player IMHO.

johnbc70
11-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Can see him getting sent off against the Yams, was he not booked within 5 mins of coming on when we played them at the PBS.

Hibs Class
11-12-2011, 08:48 AM
So suarez ( sp) does a middle finger,, hes being tiuted as an 8 match banGriffiths does a gesture to huns ESPN (sky) will be showing it all weekBan looks ominousBt You may be right. I had thought the gesture was him applauding them when he was subbed, hadn't realised he had done something earlier so can't comment on it.

lapsedhibee
11-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Falls on his erse, opposition fans slag him off and he shows them the finger pretty daft thing to do. Just means every time he gets the ball after that the opposition fans (all 3500) are at him the rest of the game. He has an awful lot to learn. EPL player? He's still well short of being an SPL player IMHO.

:tsk tsk: Forearm.

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-12-2011, 09:14 AM
:tsk tsk: Forearm.My bad. Same thing though. He should concentrate more on his game than winding up opposing fans.

SteveHFC
11-12-2011, 02:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk_6ewthonw

lapsedhibee
11-12-2011, 03:00 PM
My bad. Same thing though. He should concentrate more on his game than winding up opposing fans.

hibsbollah
11-12-2011, 03:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk_6ewthonw No problem with that. as long as the ref doesnt see it. Ive done it to the huns myself :greengrin:

soupy
11-12-2011, 03:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk_6ewthonw The name of the tit who pit it on for me says it all for me, and he's bothererd about a wee bit craic.....

essexhibee
11-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Not as blatant as deeks but still rather humerous. If I ever scored v hearts I would most definetly cause a riot with my celebration :greengrin

Future17
11-12-2011, 03:18 PM
The name of the tit who pit it on for me says it all for me, and he's bothererd about a wee bit craic.....

On the laptop visiting "The Bear Pit". :rolleyes:

nonshinyfinish
11-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Griffiths made exactly the same gesture when he was getting abuse from Dunfermline fans at ER - guess it only matters when the important teams are there though. :rolleyes:

California-Hibs
11-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Those folk who are slating Griffiths as being a poor player, not SPL standard etc really dont have a clue about football!

SRHibs
11-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Those folk who are slating Griffiths as being a poor player, not SPL standard etc really dont have a clue about football!

How so? Based on his recent performances he's certainly not good enough for a Hibs team that's look like it's going to be in a relegation dogfight...

SteveHFC
12-12-2011, 12:02 AM
LEIGH GRIFFITHS is on a collision course with the SFA following an inflammatory gesture towards Rangers fans.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3992590/Leigh-Griffiths-in-sign-storm.html#ixzz1gHIIa8L4

.Sean.
12-12-2011, 08:26 AM
He did that exact same gesture at the Dundee United game.

hibsbollah
12-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Griffiths made exactly the same gesture when he was getting abuse from Dunfermline fans at ER - guess it only matters when the important teams are there though. :rolleyes: Massive picture and main story on the back of the Express of GriffithsGIRUgate'. If it involves the hun the express will run any story, no matter how insignificant. Sone Aluko had more media coverage than Wayne Rooney last week.

Phil MaGlass
12-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Think the lad still needs a bit of time, he is now getting game time, most can see theres a good player lurking there, he plays for the Scotland u21,s and folk on here saying he is pish????
I think we spend waaaay toooo much time, picking fault with our own young players(or any player for that matter),instead of giving them the support and encouragement they need. Alot on here slated Fletcher week in week out and look at him now, we would sell our grannies to have a player like that at ER, ooops we do (GOC) but again some folk on here are too busy slating him aswell. The sooner we give support to our players the sooner they may produce the goods.
HAVING THREADS LIKE THIS APPEAR EVERY SINGLE WEEK will not help players confidence.
How about getting behind the ------g team, instead of picking fault with every little thing, This clubs supporters have turned into a bunch of whiney yams, instead of supporters.
Is 90 minutes support really too much to ask for.

One more thing we hear alot about is wether a player is Hibs class, mibbe the fans should think hard if they are Hibs class.

RiseAbove
12-12-2011, 08:47 AM
I certainly would not be rushing to resign Griffiths, he might be a Hibby at heart but he has brought very little to the table so far.

hibbiedon
12-12-2011, 08:53 AM
He is a Hibs fan so he will get extra abuse from hibs.net, there appears to be a fifty fifty split on here people like colin nish, deeks and now leigh

soproni1
12-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Had he stuck his chance away would this thread even be here?

Think he is really sharp and works very hard, never going to be the best with the ball but you can tell he cares and IMO he score a few goals if we keep him on

hibs0666
12-12-2011, 11:34 AM
The pre-signing blurb was that Griffiths was an instinctive finisher. I don't see it myself.

Franck is God
12-12-2011, 11:50 AM
I hadn't seen Leigh play for Dundee but I'd heard a few good things about him but so far I'm not all that impressed, occasionally he shows a nice touch and turn but generally in areas miles away from the danger area and he doen't seem to have tremendous pace to get away from a player either.

His finishing so far has been poor but he does seem to get into good positions, his movement in the half we played against Motherwell was good and his touch leading up to hitting the post was excellent but when you think of his missed efforts against Dunfermline, Celtic & Rangers all from great chances you do have to wonder if he really can play at this level or show any consistency.

If he is available to stay until the end of the season then I'd like to see him stay but unless his finishing gets better I'd rather we looked elsewhere for a permanent option up front or look at young Crawford, Caldwell or Handling as another striking option instead.

Andy74
12-12-2011, 11:52 AM
The pre-signing blurb was that Griffiths was an instinctive finisher. I don't see it myself.

Two home games against the OF have now turned on chances that have fallen to him and been missed.

He also lost posession a few times around the edge of the box looking to take too many touches and getting caught.

I don't think there is any way he is EPL standard and I'm with people who suggest he has a long way to go to prove he is SPL standard.

He might be like Fletcher though and start suddenly converting more of these things once in the EPL? :wink:

hibs0666
12-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Two home games against the OF have now turned on chances that have fallen to him and been missed.

He also lost posession a few times around the edge of the box looking to take too many touches and getting caught.

I don't think there is any way he is EPL standard and I'm with people who suggest he has a long way to go to prove he is SPL standard.

He might be like Fletcher though and start suddenly converting more of these things once in the EPL? :wink:

Comparing them in their early careers Griffiths looks more Tam McManus than Kenny Miller. Fletcher was at a different level altogether.

Franck is God
12-12-2011, 12:11 PM

There is no comparison to Fletcher at all, Fletch was 17 when he started playing for our first team and was there on merit not because there were no other options.

I'm not falling into the camp of saying Griffiths is pish because he's missed a few chances but he has a lot of improving to do before you can even consider comparing him to an established Premiership striker, at the moment it's arguable if you can even compare him to an established SPL striker.

Sir David Gray
12-12-2011, 03:27 PM
I just hope that Griffiths is not banned for making this gesture.

If it had been noticed by the referee at the time, he would have been booked, in exactly the same circumstances as Derek Riordan was punished for making his gesture to the Hearts fans a couple of years ago.

Although I still believe that those who get away with diving should not receive a retrospective red card, I can understand the reasoning for this as they have effectively got away with it during the game and it has significantly benefitted their team and it has affected the result.

Griffiths making this gesture did not benefit Hibs, nor did it harm Rangers, in any way and it did not affect the scoreline in any way.

If he is to be punished, he should be fined.

It has come as absolutely no surprise that this has been picked up by the media. After all the attention that the Aluko incident received last week, anything that happened on Saturday was always going to be blown up by the press.

hibsbollah
12-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I just hope that Griffiths is not banned for making this gesture.If it had been noticed by the referee at the time, he would have been booked, in exactly the same circumstances as Derek Riordan was punished for making his gesture to the Hearts fans a couple of years ago.Although I still believe that those who get away with diving should not receive a retrospective red card, I can understand the reasoning for this as they have effectively got away with it during the game and it has significantly benefitted their team and it has affected the result.Griffiths making this gesture did not benefit Hibs, nor did it harm Rangers, in any way and it did not affect the scoreline in any way.If he is to be punished, he should be fined.Brines had a word with him just afterwards, and jabbed his finger at Griffiths but never showed a card, which i thought was strange. It may be that Leigh avoids a ban if Brines confirms that he dealt with it at the time.

paxtonhibby
12-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Maybe Leigh was getting fed up with all the bigoted poison emanating from the away stand. Was the singing mentioned in any of the rags ? Genuine question cos I don't buy any of them.

Captain Trips
12-12-2011, 06:00 PM
This is what happens you take in a player who hadnt played regularly then in the short space of time he is here he has to impress and simply cannot have a loss of form due to game amounts, these deals have to really stop in the volume we have.

Monts
12-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Had he stuck his chance away would this thread even be here?

Think he is really sharp and works very hard, never going to be the best with the ball but you can tell he cares and IMO he score a few goals if we keep him on

Of course not, the whole point of the thread is that he is missing chances he should be scoring :confused:

ancient hibee
12-12-2011, 06:37 PM
The team would be much better balanced if Griffiths played on the left and Sproule on the right which is more natural to both of them.

bingo70
12-12-2011, 06:42 PM
The team would be much better balanced if Griffiths played on the left and Sproule on the right which is more natural to both of them.

Totally agree, Sproule likes to cut inside but IMO he's best putting the ball past the full back and running onto it, him on the left give the full back less to think about as he knows more often than not he'll go on the inside and even if he does go for the byeline he'll be on his left peg and the chances of a decent cross coming on his left are pretty small

ancient hibee
12-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Totally agree, Sproule likes to cut inside but IMO he's best putting the ball past the full back and running onto it, him on the left give the full back less to think about as he knows more often than not he'll go on the inside and even if he does go for the byeline he'll be on his left peg and the chances of a decent cross coming on his left are pretty small

Oh for an Arthur Duncan who would destroy one full back in the first half then switch wings and do the same to the other one.But you're quite right -if there's one thing defenders hate it's someone with the pace to go outside -with Sproule on the left they can show him the outside knowing that crossing with his left doesn't come easy.

connerg
12-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Maybe Leigh was getting fed up with all the bigoted poison emanating from the away stand. Was the singing mentioned in any of the rags ? Genuine question cos I don't buy any of them.
:top marksIt would only be a small minority though! Nearly 4000, the whole South Stand!!!!!!!!!!

nortonhibby
12-12-2011, 09:09 PM

headless chicken:cb

The Green Goblin
12-12-2011, 10:40 PM

I remember a LOT of people saying similar things about Stephen Fletcher and telling Hibs to bite the hand off any offer that came in for him, when he was playing for us. Look how that turned out...

GG

SteveHFC
12-12-2011, 11:31 PM
LEIGH GRIFFITHS is set to land a one-match ban for his gesture towards Rangers fans.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3994758/Grif-wont-get-off-Scott-free.html#ixzz1gN0mQNqV

Perspective
13-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Griffiths is a young player who is inexperienced at this level.

If nothing else then his pace, movement and raw enthusiasm have given us something we didn't have previously. But I also think there's more to him than that - a natural confidence and a skillset that can be worked on.

He was great in the game against Motherwell last Friday and there's been flashes since he moved here.

I think his biggest problem is that he's such a big Hibs fan. He's soon keen to impress that everything is at 100mph, so he's ahead of the ball or snatching at chances. When he inevitably learns to cool it a bit I think he'll be in a better position to do himself justice.

Keep the head up, Leigh. You'll do for me.

Sir David Gray
13-12-2011, 12:30 AM
LEIGH GRIFFITHS is set to land a one-match ban for his gesture towards Rangers fans.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3994758/Grif-wont-get-off-Scott-free.html#ixzz1gN0mQNqV

Considering which publication this story is in, I will take this news with a pinch of salt at the moment, however if that is true then it's an absolute disgrace.

As I said earlier, if Brines had seen Griffiths make this gesture, he would have been given a yellow card. That is all.

This cannot be compared with players who are caught diving by video evidence after a match, being given a suspension, because they are effectively helping their club to win games dishonestly.

How exactly did Leigh Griffiths help Hibs or harm Rangers by doing what he did on Saturday? :confused:

By all means charge him with disrepute or whatever and fine him heavily, I don't really care either way about that, but banning him for what is a bookable offence would just be ludicrous.

cabbageandribs1875
13-12-2011, 02:20 AM
The name of the tit who pit it on for me says it all for me, and he's bothererd about a wee bit craic.....

can anyone else spot the hypocrisy from the hunbrox maggot

Uploaded by loyalistlennonhater (http://www.youtube.com/user/loyalistlennonhater)on Dec 10, 2011**** hibs player

what an ers*wipe :crazy:

one day maybe...
13-12-2011, 08:05 AM
can anyone else spot the hypocrisy from the hunbrox maggot

Uploaded by loyalistlennonhater (http://www.youtube.com/user/loyalistlennonhater)on Dec 10, 2011**** hibs player

what an ers*wipe :crazy:

Typical rangers fan, videoing the game on his phone in his hovel. The guy should be drag before the courts for having a user name like that as well, for correct me if I am wrong is that not bigoted hatred. Fud of the highest order :rolleyes:

proud_and_green
13-12-2011, 11:20 AM

I think he lacks pace, the times when he has been chasing after a ball against a left back and lost the ball underlines this for me, he seems to get himself in to the right positions but can't capitalise because of that non-existing burst of pace to beat the man.

Nevi_SOL
11-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Whilst the rest of the board is a bit doom and gloom. This brought a few laughs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
11-06-2014, 01:01 AM
Whilst the rest of the board is a bit doom and gloom. This brought a few laughs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indeed, some zoomers on the first page alone :agree:, didn't bother reading the rest :greengrin

Barman Stanton
11-06-2014, 06:22 AM
Brilliant, some real football experts on here.

hibee92
11-06-2014, 04:08 PM
rate him and think he could be class. sign him IMO :agree:

At least one bloke had a keen eye :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
11-06-2014, 04:16 PM
:hahaha: SOME REAL :trumpet: on this thread .:greengrin

Sir David Gray
11-06-2014, 04:48 PM
He's not done nearly enough to suggest that he deserves an extension to his loan deal at Hibs.

He's a decent player but nothing more than that, based on what I've seen over the past few months.

I think I'll score "football talent scout" off the list of future employment opportunities!

:greengrin

Billychaotic182
11-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Goes to show you that sometimes the boo boys can be wrong

NAE NOOKIE
11-06-2014, 05:00 PM
If I had posted on this thread at the time I would have went on at length about what a brilliant player LG was going to be http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/taunt%20smiley.gif

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Glad we swerved that one. Imagine if we were still stuck with him now?!

Proof-if any was needed-that some players take time to settle at ER.

Nevi_SOL
11-06-2014, 05:39 PM
At least one bloke had a keen eye :greengrin

you Looking into the current management position

.Sean.
11-06-2014, 05:40 PM
'Premiership class' yer arse. He's pish.
What a fanny, eh :greengrin

Malthibby
11-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Disappointed to note that admins removed my early post about what a superstar LG was & an absolute steal at 150 grand........

Pretty Boy
11-06-2014, 06:13 PM
In fairness to the guy how many games has he had in his natural position?

There's a player in there somewhere no doubt, he's still a young guy and needs time to mature and improve his decision making.

Then again people on this forum never rated Steven Fletcher and thought we could 'easily' replace Whittaker so I suppose I shouldnt be surprised to see Griffiths written off as pish.

Some of us obviously know a player when we see one....

Insert smug smilie.

weonlywon6-2
11-06-2014, 06:14 PM
What a fanny, eh :greengrin

Haha,talk about coming back and biting you in the a$$.
Maybe you should say the same about liam craig !

basehibby
11-06-2014, 08:09 PM
If nothing else, this thread proves beyond all reasonable doubt that PF's comments re over-high expectations of some fans is at least partly true. Some of the comments on this thread show a complete failure to understand the fact that many football players can take a while to get going at a club - such that many of the initial posters had Griffiths - the guy who went on to score 29 the next season - written off as sheight after less than 6 months.

This is in no way an isolated case as the same was said of the likes of Claros, Fletcher and many other players who didn't get off to a flying start. I'm not saying that we've never signed a player (or manager for that matter) who was deserving of having the sheight label bestowed upon them, but many are in too much of a hurry to make such judgements, and because of the added pressure this entails it can become a self fulfilling prophecy for some players. This is no good for the club IMO and needs to stop.

Jamesconnolly
11-06-2014, 08:24 PM
If I had posted on this thread at the time I would have went on at length about what a brilliant player LG was going to be http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/taunt%20smiley.gif

Aye mate we knew LG was a superstar just didn't want to let cat out the bag!

Kato
11-06-2014, 08:45 PM
If nothing else, this thread proves beyond all reasonable doubt that PF's comments re over-high expectations of some fans is at least partly true. Some of the comments on this thread show a complete failure to understand the fact that many football players can take a while to get going at a club - such that many of the initial posters had Griffiths - the guy who went on to score 29 the next season - written off as sheight after less than 6 months.

This is in no way an isolated case as the same was said of the likes of Claros, Fletcher and many other players who didn't get off to a flying start. I'm not saying that we've never signed a player (or manager for that matter) who was deserving of having the sheight label bestowed upon them, but many are in too much of a hurry to make such judgements, and because of the added pressure this entails it can become a self fulfilling prophecy for some players. This is no good for the club IMO and needs to stop.

I don't think expectations are all that high but patience levels are extremely low. It's expected given the long slow decline that people are impatient but as we reach a lower and lower standard the journey back up becomes further away. You can only pray for some breathing space next season and learn to start winning games again.

greenlex
11-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Post no 19 is spot on.

basehibby
11-06-2014, 10:38 PM
I don't think expectations are all that high but patience levels are extremely low. It's expected given the long slow decline that people are impatient but as we reach a lower and lower standard the journey back up becomes further away. You can only pray for some breathing space next season and learn to start winning games again.

It's not so much with the team as a whole that expectations are OTT with some (ie league placings worthy of the size of support and the revenue they bring to the club) but the expectations on individuals. Just about every signing or debutant from the youth team seems to be held up as the solution to all our ills and when they don't meet these heady expectations are then pilloried as "sheight" by sections of the support.

In reality many players are very much brought in to do a particular job/provide an option and are unlikely to be of the all singing all dancing variety. The overall effect of this is often to harm the confidence of already somewhat limited players such that we end up getting less out of them than lesser clubs where their shortcomings are not jumped upon so readily.

Of course that's not the whole picture - in some respects the Hibs support are the ultimate paragons of loyalty, passion and patient devotion, but I think if we're going to help turn things around then we have to collectively take our share of the blame along with the the board, the management and the players and then start being part of the solution. That's going to mean digging further into these reserves of patience and giving whoever comes in a chance. Leigh Griffiths was banned on two occasions for gestures to his own supporters during his first season with Hibs - and the reasons for that are very easy to see from the opening posts on this thread. In retrospect it's very easy to see how wrong his detractors were - lets not keep making these mistakes again and again.

allezsauzee
11-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Dear Leanne Dempster

Please Please Please do not read any of the threads on here before choosing our next manager!!!!

Kato
11-06-2014, 10:55 PM
It's not so much with the team as a whole that expectations are OTT with some (ie league placings worthy of the size of support and the revenue they bring to the club) but the expectations on individuals. Just about every signing or debutant from the youth team seems to be held up as the solution to all our ills and when they don't meet these heady expectations are then pilloried as "sheight" by sections of the support.

Anybody who acts like that at a game lacked someone in their past to educate them in how to support your team.

As far as players being pilloried on message boards people are entitled to express an opinion if they feel they have to. Sometimes defending that opinion becomes a past-time though and they let ego get in the way of giving a player time to settle. Jorge Claros' first six months is a good example. In the ground and on here no understanding that he was on a steep learning curve when he arrived. After a very effective second season we missed him hugely last term and him leaving saw Taiwo having to fit in as he and Claros were coming onto a good game. A loss just as big as losing LG, which shows what we, as fans, know and how impatient Hibs fans have become. As balance a season in which we showed great patience was the one on returning to the SPL with McLeish's team. Some very indifferent performances and results but the crowd knew we were getting to grips with the League and stuck by the players. The players did their part in winning the derbies and showing some character, gets the fans onside and shows it's a two way street..

In reality many players are very much brought in to do a particular job/provide an option and are unlikely to be of the all singing all dancing variety. The overall effect of this is often to harm the confidence of already somewhat limited players such that we end up getting less out of them than lesser clubs where their shortcomings are not jumped upon so readily.

But their character comes into question there, not just the fans fault. In the past the manager and Chairman would assess the players character, so either they don't do that much or just rely on stats.

Of course that's not the whole picture - in some respects the Hibs support are the ultimate paragons of loyalty, passion and patient devotion, but I think if we're going to help turn things around then we have to collectively take our share of the blame along with the the board, the management and the players and then start being part of the solution. That's going to mean digging further into these reserves of patience and giving whoever comes in a chance. Leigh Griffiths was banned on two occasions for gestures to his own supporters during his first season with Hibs - and the reasons for that are very easy to see from the opening posts on this thread. In retrospect it's very easy to see how wrong his detractors were - lets not keep making these mistakes again and again.

Agree with all that.

Kato
11-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Dear Leanne Dempster

Please Please Please do not read any of the threads on here before choosing our next manager!!!!

Seconded. The "Wisdom of Crowds" theory is totally disproved by these threads.

H18Y GW
11-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Insomnia and having a bit time to burn,tis cheered me up no end...

Holy **** were a diverse support

Stevie Reid
12-06-2014, 11:27 AM
One of my favourite Hibs goals and proof that, whilst Griffiths did score many goals which were all his own work, he didn't always do it all on his own (great finish though): -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHC-GBDqfw

For an all to brief period under Fenlon we played some nice stuff like this. Much like Yogi's tenure, once we stopped getting in behind teams, we could barely score - and things really fell apart.

sleeping giant
12-06-2014, 11:32 AM
One of my favourite Hibs goals and proof that, whilst Griffiths did score many goals which were all his own work, he didn't always do it all on his own (great finish though): -

For an all to brief period under Fenlon we played some nice stuff like this. Much like Yogi's tenure, once we stopped getting in behind teams, we could barely score - and things really fell apart.

Bloody marvelous goal :top marks

H13BYM
12-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Five players involved, nearly all one touch stuff, only 1 player took 2 touches (twice) and bang. :flag:

MoscowHibs
12-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Disappointed to note that admins removed my early post about what a superstar LG was & an absolute steal at 150 grand........
:greengrin++
I actually said in May 2010 that we should sign him:

OOT:
Maka
Cregg
McCormack
Gow
Stevenson
Benji ( Sadly )
Smith

IN:
Hart or McLean-Falkirk
Griffiths
Gardyne
GOC
Good CH
Arfield

southsider
12-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Any of Crops 2 goals up the slope in the New Years 3-1 win over the poor-oot stealers back in (i think) '74. Ahhh those were the days.

Pretty Boy
12-06-2014, 12:26 PM

Was that goal of the season?

If not I'd like to see the goal that beat it because that had everything. Good, pacy build up, great final ball and an unbelievably good finish.

Stevie Reid
12-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Was that goal of the season?

If not I'd like to see the goal that beat it because that had everything. Good, pacy build up, great final ball and an unbelievably good finish.

Had to look it up - wasn't even nominated! Spoony's peach v ICT is in there, and Griffiths goal v Utd at Tannadice (which keeper should have saved IMO) - though the home one is much better.

Carey v Hearts was the winner, apparently - McDonald was at fault for it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dW2kW6XEro