PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

SteveHFC
10-12-2011, 03:46 PM
He was MOTM for me today. He done well :agree:

Littlest Hobo
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
He was MOTM for me today. He done well :agree:

Done well but we need better players in that position if we are to improve.

PeterboroHibee
10-12-2011, 03:53 PM

Id disagree with that, if Stevenson is capable of that sort of thing regularly then why would you look to replace him? Obviously the problem has been that he has been so inconsistant in the last few years but he dominated the midfield, won everything and distributed the ball well, what else would you look for in a player in that position?

matty_f
10-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Id disagree with that, if Stevenson is capable of that sort of thing regularly then why would you look to replace him? Obviously the problem has been that he has been so inconsistant in the last few years but he dominated the midfield, won everything and distributed the ball well, what else would you look for in a player in that position?

I agree with this. I have generally been of the opinion that Lewis isn't good enough to play for Hibs, at least not as a starter. However, he was immense today, IMHO, and if he was doing that week in/week out then he'd definitely be worth his starting jersey.

My biggest argument against Lewis is when you try to count how many games he's had where you think he's won his midfield battle. Well, today he controlled the area he was meant to and was one of the big plusses from today (along with Wotherspoon, to whom the exact same applies), and Osbourne.

Sir David Gray
10-12-2011, 04:10 PM

I'd tend to agree with you on both points.

He was very good today, stood out in midfield, competed well throughout and was probably our best player.

However his performances over a sustained period of time suggest to me that, looking long term, we need better midfielders than Lewis Stevenson if we're going to be where we want to be.

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2011, 04:11 PM
There is no argument imo, if Stevenson plays like that each week, he's one of the first names on the team sheet.

Littlest Hobo
10-12-2011, 04:12 PM

I respect your opinion but Lewis isn't good enough for me. Yes he done well today but I really hope RP and PF are looking to bring in better quality than Lewis Stevenson.

If their going to keep deluding themselves that the players we havein the squad at the moment are anywhere near good enough then I'm afraid the empty seats in all three home stands we saw today will remain empty.

Littlest Hobo
10-12-2011, 04:13 PM
It's the same with our young talented players like Hanlon and Wotherspoon, both need a seat on the bench as far as I'm concerned.

HFC 0-7
10-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Thought Stevenson was very good today, thing about him is, even when he was playing badly he still tried hard and always looked for the ball. Same could be said for wotherspoon today, thought he was decent today and another player that isnt shy about trying to get on the ball. IMO, Hibs are needing players that are willing to get on the ball and not hide when the chips are down. If Hibs were to get a more creative midfielder in there I think it would make a big difference.

PeterboroHibee
10-12-2011, 04:17 PM
I respect your opinion but Lewis isn't good enough for me. Yes he done well today but I really hope RP and PF are looking to bring in better quality than Lewis Stevenson.

If their going to keep deluding themselves that the players we havein the squad at the moment are anywhere near good enough then I'm afraid the empty seats in all three home stands we saw today will remain empty.

Over the last few years Id tend to agree with you, he hasnt performed and was surprised he was kept on. But if he can find a role that really suits him, and allows him to perform, then dont see why we would look elsewhere? Is he not only on a years contract anyway? If so, if he doesnt establish himself then Im sure he will move on.

Alfred E Newman
10-12-2011, 04:20 PM
It's the same with our young talented players like Hanlon and Wotherspoon, both need a seat on the bench as far as I'm concerned.

I would question whether Wotherspoon is talented at all. He is more of a weak link in midfield than Stevenson.

givescotlandfreedom
10-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Lewis deserves credit for his performance today he played very well. His best performance in years.

Littlest Hobo
10-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Over the last few years Id tend to agree with you, he hasnt performed and was surprised he was kept on. But if he can find a role that really suits him, and allows him to perform, then dont see why we would look elsewhere? Is he not only on a years contract anyway? If so, if he doesnt establish himself then Im sure he will move on.

Speaking to someone that knows Lewis, apparently nobody was more surprised to be given an extension than Lewis himself. He's always one to give 100% I'll give him that, I would just like to see us go for a much more acomplished all round player who can create and play a bit.

snooky
10-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Woof woof woof woof :no way:

:wink:

hibsbollah
10-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Lewis and Ozzie outplayed Davis and Edu in the middle IMO.

Winston Ingram
10-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Lewis is a fantastic player. Chuffed to seem him have a solid start under Fenlon:agree:

Duffys13
10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Lewis and Ozzie outplayed Davis and Edu in the middle IMO.

Yip, our two best players today. O'Hanlon was good in defence today too

PeterboroHibee
10-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Speaking to someone that knows Lewis, apparently nobody was more surprised to be given an extension than Lewis himself. He's always one to give 100% I'll give him that, I would just like to see us go for a much more acomplished all round player who can create and play a bit.

Yeah but his role is clearly to break up play, control the midfield and start things off with simple passes. Every time Ive seen Stevenson play in recent games, despite how well he performed, he always shows alot more discipline than the rest of the midfield and is prepared to sit and attempt to protect the back 4. Thats what we desperately need, and he did a great job of it today. Creativity can come from other players, you cant have every player being attack minded, a defensive midfielder would give a much better balance to the team.

NAE NOOKIE
10-12-2011, 04:53 PM
MOM By a distance today. Would agree that we perhaps need better than Lewis in the long run if we are to improve.

But the wee man never gives less than 100% in every game and I wish everybody who pulled on a Hibs shirt had his attitude.

matty_f
10-12-2011, 05:01 PM
MOM By a distance today. Would agree that we perhaps need better than Lewis in the long run if we are to improve.

But the wee man never gives less than 100% in every game and I wish everybody who pulled on a Hibs shirt had his attitude.

He just needs to do it consistently then we don't need to replace him. That was the league leaders he was up against today, last season's champions, and between Lewis, Wotherspoon, and Osbourne, they owned the midfield. If he's capable of doing it against Rangers, he should do it against anyone else.

Shrekko
10-12-2011, 05:32 PM
In the past peoplenhave gone well OTT over some of Lewis's performance but today he deserves a lot of praise for giving a performance of real quality. Not just a couple of wee bits of skill or crazy tackles to get everyone excited but a polished display featuring some great ball winning.

As for the future- forget the past. What is important is that we get them from him every week. If we do he stays, if not he's on a sticky wicket. He was lucky to get the extension but that doesn't mean he can't take advantage.

Stantons Angel
10-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Lewis played a blinder today and i was surprised he did not get the MOM award as he deserved it today.

It upsets me to see that with the plaudits he is still being scorned.

Can we not just have a post that is positive about a Hibs player without the usual negativity?

Lewis may not be a brilliant player but he gives his all and a little more. Those wee legs worked hard for him today winning many tackles in midfield. He finished the game exhausted and had put in a good shift.

Lets give him the boost he so badly needs and let him see that you are pleased for him that he had a good game.

For so long the negativity has rained down on the team a few days of encouragement may make a difference no
matter how small.

Well done Lewis keep it going!

Haymaker
10-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Lets hope he can keep it up!

Scouse Hibee
10-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Stuff all the negative rubbish about Stevenson not being good enough, he was MOM by a mile today and had a solid half against Motherwell. Fenlon will be well impressed by what he has seen from Lewis. Sproule will be more at risk from the new manager than Stevenson IMO.

lucky
10-12-2011, 06:55 PM
He was outstanding today. His best game since the cup final. Spoony and Ozzy played well also. Shame about the front 3 though.

TornadoHibby
10-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Lewis played a blinder today and i was surprised he did not get the MOM award as he deserved it today.

Can we not just have a post that is positive about a Hibs player without the usual negativity?

Lewis may not be a brilliant player but he gives his all and a little more. Those wee legs worked hard for him today winning many tackles in midfield. He finished the game exhausted and had put in a good shift.

Lets give him the boost he so badly needs and let him see that you are pleased for him that he had a good game.

For so long the negativity has rained down on the team a few days of encouragement may make a difference no
matter how small.

Wot he said!

:top marks

M11BMO
10-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I was very impressed with Stevenson today. He gave everything that you would want from a midfielder. Good passing, strong in the tackle, always showed for the ball and tried to get things ticking. MOM by some distance. Here's hoping he can produce more performances like this in weeks to come... If he does he'll finally be living up to the promise he once showed some years ago when he first broke onto the scene.

hibee_girl
10-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Best player on the pitch today :agree:

Jonnyboy
10-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Wot he said!

He's a she but I agree with her too :aok:

Lewis cannae win. If he plays well like he did today loads of folk go 'aye he was good but .....' If he plays badly he gets ripped. Gie the laddie a break

Paisley Hibby
10-12-2011, 07:47 PM

matter how small.

Nuitdelune
10-12-2011, 07:51 PM
He always applies himself when he plays whatever manager is here. He does not seem to moan if is on the bench or worse, not even in the squad for the day, and so very happy for him that he shone today

Black Kyle
10-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Lewis deserves credit for his performance today he played very well. His best performance in years.

:agree:

Baldy Foghorn
10-12-2011, 08:04 PM

:agree::agree::agree:

Seveno
10-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Lewis was easily our best player today, an outstanding performance. Possibly his best since that day at Hampden. I was delighted for him as he always tries 100% for he team.

Hopefully a sign of the man management skills of Fenlon, giving him the confidence to go out and play with a positive attitude.

hibsbollah
10-12-2011, 08:43 PM
He always applies himself when he plays whatever manager is here. He does not seem to moan if is on the bench or worse, not even in the squad for the day, and so very happy for him that he shone todayI agree with all of that, but the 'he always applies himself' line sells him short IMO, like he's another John Rankin. He works as hard as Rankin, but he does what Rankin hadnt the ability to do- pick an intelligent pass, (occasionally) beat people and (almost always) retain posession. He is also deceptively quick and puts in a tackle. He wont win us many games on his own, but in front of the back 4, keeping it simple is his position and he does it well.

Nuitdelune
10-12-2011, 08:47 PM
I agree with all of that, but the 'he always applies himself' line sells him short IMO, like he's another John Rankin. He works as hard as Rankin, but he does what Rankin hadnt the ability to do- pick an intelligent pass, (occasionally) beat people and (almost always) retain posession. He is also deceptively quick and puts in a tackle. He wont win us many games on his own, but in front of the back 4, keeping it simple is his position and he does it well.

Yes, that is what I meant to say! Had John Rankin in my mind and was going to mention him in the same breath but thought that unfair on Lewis. Thanks

Jonnyboy
10-12-2011, 08:55 PM
I agree with all of that, but the 'he always applies himself' line sells him short IMO, like he's another John Rankin. He works as hard as Rankin, but he does what Rankin hadnt the ability to do- pick an intelligent pass, (occasionally) beat people and (almost always) retain posession. He is also deceptively quick and puts in a tackle. He wont win us many games on his own, but in front of the back 4, keeping it simple is his position and he does it well.

Very well put :top marks

Violater
10-12-2011, 08:56 PM

matter how small.

Great post! Well done Lewis! :agree:

The Harp
10-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Delighted for Lewis today. Best I've seen him since that league cup final. He's always given 100% but today's contribution from him was immense. Well done wee man!

Barney McGrew
11-12-2011, 08:09 AM

I also don't think it's a coincidence that he's been played more centrally in the last game and a half, rather than left back or left mid. In the middle suits his game better, he can put the tackles in to break up play and pick the pass to other players who can (supposedly) make things happen.

allezsauzee
11-12-2011, 12:01 PM
These 'Lewis was great today but doesn't do it often enough' threads seem to becoming a regular occurrence....well since he started getting a game regularly again!

500miles
11-12-2011, 12:11 PM
These 'Lewis was great today but doesn't do it often enough' threads seem to becoming a regular occurrence....well since he started getting a game regularly again!

Agreed, he had a few games under Calderwood when he showed up better than anything else in the midfield. But as soon as he has a single game where he is less effective, it's as if his recent good performances never happened. The laddie's only 22, and getting regular first team football for the first time since he was a teenager. When Mixu was here, Stevenson was experiencing a drop in form that came towards the end of Collins reign, and Yogi brought his favourite bairn, Kevin McBride, to play Stevenson's ideal role - even when he was injured.

We need to stick with Lewis, Wotherspoon and Ozzy in the middle, and find some sort of penetrative force - to link with the attack. Sproule isn't doing that, for me. And I'm not convinced by Griffiths - although, he's got time on his hands to find consistancy, cos he's got potential. I'd be tempted to give Booth the left wing as soon as he's fit.

hibsbollah
11-12-2011, 12:20 PM
We need to stick with Lewis, Wotherspoon and Ozzy in the middle, and find some sort of penetrative force - to link with the attack. Sproule isn't doing that, for me.Thats it in a nutshell. The 4231 will only work with a creative attacking force...or the 'zemmama replacement'.

Hibby D
11-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Lewis played a blinder today and i was surprised he did not get the MOM award as he deserved it .......

I don't disagree with the rest of your post but that sums it up for me!

I should be us 'ordinary' fans on the terracing who decide MotM...not those sitting in hospitality, who obviously pick the player they'd most like to meet.

Would love to see the club investigate implementing some sort of texting system so we can have our say :agree:

Mickey Edwards
11-12-2011, 12:53 PM
In the holding midfield role he was unsurpassed and I think if he stays there he will be the best holding midfielder in the league........and we got him for nowt!!!
Because we were playing without a recognisable centre forward he found it a bit harder when the emphasis was on going forward after we went behind...the forward outball just wasn't on so there were a lot of lateral passes that a few folk round me were criticising him for "same old Lewis".
There are better passers at the moment but I can't think of another SPL player with as good a touch or ball retention as Lewis so he's perfect for that holding role.......to have two academy products controlling the game against the champions in that area gave me a sense of satisfaction on an annoyingly disappointing day....there was nothing between the teams, largely thanks to Stevenson and Wotherspoon breaking everything up.
A confident Stevenson is a formidable asset ; he just needs to realise it.
With confidence he'll then vary his game a bit more and drive with the ball at his feet when it's on.

allezsauzee
11-12-2011, 12:57 PM

I should be us 'ordinary' fans on the terracing who decide MotM...not those sitting in hospitality, who obviously pick the player they'd most like to meet.

Would love to see the club investigate implementing some sort of texting system so we can have our say :agree:

I'm amazed that Rodders hasn't seen this as a potential revenue stream to be honest. Charging 50p for a text with a prize of a hibs top signed by the first team squad to one lucky voter.

MSK
11-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Is Lewis the longest serving player (with continuous service) at the club now having joined at 14yo ..?

MrRobot
11-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Lewis was awesome. Still aint gonna stop that he gets but he deserves full credit.
Tbh I always feel Stevenson gives his all and isnt afraid to get stuck in. Hopefully starting the next game. Well done Stevo.

hibee_girl
11-12-2011, 04:10 PM

That's a fab idea!!:agree:

KeithTheHibby
11-12-2011, 04:44 PM
There is no argument imo, if Stevenson plays like that each week, he's one of the first names on the team sheet.

Agreed, best player in green yesterday. Special mention to Ozzy, Spoony and Hanlon too.

HibbyKeith
11-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Text MOTM followed by your selected player number to bla bla bla bla,

wouldn't imagine something like that would be too hard for the club to sort out, would give them another source of income too, (not alot of cash, but maybe some sponsorship from a text message service provider)

Good idea diane, get on the phone to Mr Hyland.

HibbyKeith
11-12-2011, 06:43 PM
MOTM by a mile yesterday, more of the same please Lewis. bumper new contract on the horizon with performances like that.

well done.

EasterRoad4Ever
11-12-2011, 06:57 PM
MOTM by a mile yesterday, more of the same please Lewis. bumper new contract on the horizon with performances like that.

well done.

You are kidding, right? Agree that LS had a good game yesterday, but has done NOTHING else in 4.5 years to suggest he is nearly good enough for Hibs - quite the opposite. I've no time whatsoever for players who all of a sudden start trying (harder) when under scrutiny by a new manager and playing for their contracts - but 99% of the rest of the time amble along, picking up their wages.

LS would not get a game for any other SPL team and would have been moved on from Easter Road years ago had we had anything like the team we should have. Can only pray that Fenlon sets his sights higher than the likes of Stephenson, otherwise we will never get out of this mess.

Jonnyboy
11-12-2011, 10:06 PM
You are kidding, right? Agree that LS had a good game yesterday, but has done NOTHING else in 4.5 years to suggest he is nearly good enough for Hibs - quite the opposite. I've no time whatsoever for players who all of a sudden start trying (harder) when under scrutiny by a new manager and playing for their contracts - but 99% of the rest of the time amble along, picking up their wages.

LS would not get a game for any other SPL team and would have been moved on from Easter Road years ago had we had anything like the team we should have. Can only pray that Fenlon sets his sights higher than the likes of Stephenson, otherwise we will never get out of this mess.

Take it you're not a fan then? :wink:

Riordans Boots
11-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Is Lewis the longest serving player (with continuous service) at the club now having joined at 14yo ..?

Yes I'm sure he is. With the exception of Ivan returning to Hibs, Lewis is the longest serving player in the team since the CIS team in 2007 :thumbsup:

JustSimplyHibs
11-12-2011, 10:22 PM

I would disagree....Stevenson would get a game for most SPL teams, who does he have to compete against? Ian Black!....he breaks the play up (done this over the last 4.5 years,) plays a simple ball (done this over the last 4.5 years) can switch the play very well (done this over the past 4.5 years), am affraid the only problem with Stevenson is that he has not had a decent run in the team except the 20 odd games running up to the cup final under Collins (who i would presume you wanted as boss this time round)

To be perfectly honest i don't think the lad has been given a fair crack ay the whip, moved from LB to LM to CM to DM to LW....not had a decent enough run in the team since Collins left and has been made a scape goat.....sorry but gie the lad his due's you ask anyone in the Hibs team and they will have Stevenson in the team playing in the posistion he is playing in just now, if he keep's playing there he will make a name for himself with teams from down south sniffing about him within the next year or so. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mibbes Aye
11-12-2011, 10:40 PM

It's a fantastic idea Diane, and potentially a great way of bringing the fans and the club closer, one of those ideas that when you hear it, you think "Why did no one raise this before?"

If the club were able to find a way of making it work at a relatively cheap cost for the fans, and manage it real-time so the result was out at FT that would be great. If not, it could still work really well as a means of judging a fans' POTY, based on votes over a season. Creates a bit of interest for us, a meaningful accolade for the player, and hopefully some welcome income for the club.

Lastly, and only because it bugs me big time :greengrin I know Lewis got MOTM for the CIS Cup win but I was there, like many of the rest of us, and my pick would have been Murphy. Composure and calm throughout and the start of so much of our play. I'm surely not the only one, am I? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
11-12-2011, 10:42 PM
It's a fantastic idea Diane, and potentially a great way of bringing the fans and the club closer, one of those ideas that when you hear it, you think "Why did no one raise this before?"

If the club were able to find a way of making it work at a relatively cheap cost for the fans, and manage it real-time so the result was out at FT that would be great. If not, it could still work really well as a means of judging a fans' POTY, based on votes over a season. Creates a bit of interest for us, a meaningful accolade for the player, and hopefully some welcome income for the club.

Lastly, and only because it bugs me big time :greengrin I know Lewis got MOTM for the CIS Cup win but I was there, like many of the rest of us, and my pick would have been Murphy. Composure and calm throughout and the start of so much of our play. I'm surely not the only one, am I? :greengrin

You're not J, no. Indeed Murphy himself nominated Benji as man of the match! In truth every player that played deserved nomination :agree:

Jonnyboy
11-12-2011, 10:43 PM
I would disagree....Stevenson would get a game for most SPL teams, who does he have to compete against? Ian Black!....he breaks the play up (done this over the last 4.5 years,) plays a simple ball (done this over the last 4.5 years) can switch the play very well (done this over the past 4.5 years), am affraid the only problem with Stevenson is that he has not had a decent run in the team except the 20 odd games running up to the cup final under Collins (who i would presume you wanted as boss this time round)

To be perfectly honest i don't think the lad has been given a fair crack ay the whip, moved from LB to LM to CM to DM to LW....not had a decent enough run in the team since Collins left and has been made a scape goat.....sorry but gie the lad his due's you ask anyone in the Hibs team and they will have Stevenson in the team playing in the posistion he is playing in just now, if he keep's playing there he will make a name for himself with teams from down south sniffing about him within the next year or so. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well said :top marks

Mibbes Aye
11-12-2011, 11:14 PM
You're not J, no. Indeed Murphy himself nominated Benji as man of the match! In truth every player that played deserved nomination :agree:

There were a lot of good individual performances that day John, you're right, from 'Lofty' between the sticks all the way forward. Fletcher and Benji get plaudits for great goals. I was never shy of criticising Jones when we was with us but he led the way with a cracking opener and for me he's pretty much got a free pass as a guid Hibs captain forever now.

I was trying to type something about what it meant to JC too, easier just to do the link :greengrin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXCNwBu_t8&feature=related)

And so no one's in doubt :greengrin , Lewis did have a fine game that day and if he can work well under PF in a holding role then happy days :agree:

basehibby
12-12-2011, 12:31 AM

This is garbage in relation to LS - he was Hibs' MOM only a few weeks ago (vs Motherwell?) BEFORE Calderwood got the boot when we were all praising his superb workrate. He's come onto a bit of form and he needs to keep it up as he has definately lacked consistency over the last few seasons - but that has not been due to a lack of effort on his part from what I've seen - your criticism is well wide of the mark in that respect IMO.

Whether he is "good enough for Hibs" depends on him maintaining this level of performance and setting new standards for himself - if he can do this then he is without doubt good enough and will become a mainstay of our midfield going forward.

HibbyKeith
12-12-2011, 01:02 AM

If your going to choose to highlight part of my comment then at least have the decency to highlight it all, not just the phrase that supports your argument.

My comment was "bumper new contract on the horizon with performances like that." are you seriously suggesting that if Lewis was to continue to put in performances like he did against Rangers that we would not all be calling for the board to secure him with a new contract?

We have a cult status "Matty Jack Role" based on a no nonsense, no flair player who put in very similar performances.

IIRC Stevenson was out of contract at the end of last season, yet don't recall anyone commenting on how he was trying (harder) with his contract coming to conclusion.

Stevenson IMO gives 100% every game he plays, sometimes the game can pass him by, but one thing he cannot be criticised for is effort, he never shy's away from challenges and is more than happy to put his body on the line, there is a good player in there, he needs confidence and a extended run of games to prove to the doubters that he is more than capable of living up to hibs supporters expectations.

"LS would not get a game for any other SPL team " your kidding, right?

happiehibbie
12-12-2011, 08:21 AM
As you know i do not have much time for Lewis I just feel he is not good enough BUT he did play well on Saturday credit where its due

blackpoolhibs
12-12-2011, 08:49 AM
As you know i do not have much time for Lewis I just feel he is not good enough BUT he did play well on Saturday credit where its due

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I have been one of his biggest critics since 2007, and imo he did not deserve another contract but could understand why he got one.

I would NOT give him another contract at this moment in time, one great performance does not merit it imo, but if he can do that every week, he will get one and be the first name on the team sheet every week.

Call me cynical, but i see this with a lot of players and managers. We get the odd great display and there is an outcry on how good they are and how the corner has turned.

Saturday, Stevenson was immense, his best game again imo since that cup final. IMO there's been a LOT of very poor to average performances in between, and yes he does give 100% every time he is selected, but i want more than that.

As i said before, that performance on Saturday is what i want, and i'd imagine Lewis wants too.

More of them please, and a new contract will be on the table.

Stonewall
12-12-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I have been one of his biggest critics since 2007, and imo he did not deserve another contract but could understand why he got one.

I would NOT give him another contract at this moment in time, one great performance does not merit it imo, but if he can do that every week, he will get one and be the first name on the team sheet every week.

Call me cynical, but i see this with a lot of players and managers. We get the odd great display and there is an outcry on how good they are and how the corner has turned.

Saturday, Stevenson was immense, his best game again imo since that cup final. IMO there's been a LOT of very poor to average performances in between, and yes he does give 100% every time he is selected, but i want more than that.

As i said before, that performance on Saturday is what i want, and i'd imagine Lewis wants too.

I agree to an extent but think he's been dragged down by a combination of our general awfulness in the last few years, not being played in his best position and his confidence being undermined by a manager (Hughes) who clearly did not rate him.

I hope he gets a run in central mid and isn't just dropped after his first poor game. It's probably his last chance to fulfill his potential and I for one hope he does.

Craig_in_Prague
12-12-2011, 11:17 AM
I like what Pat will do and he will play players where they are most comfertable, and if they are still not deemed good enough I am sure he'll act accordingly.

LS played decent on Sat, he gave the defence an option to give the ball into him and this was a breathe of fresh air, under CC we more often than not just hoofed it up the park. Whilst we were still pretty poor overall, at least we played some nice football and I think LS would have benefited having Booth on the left getting up and down as apposed to Hanlon who's stiffer and slower than me.

anyway, well played Lewis but keep it up, there's a decent player in there and Pat's wordds about players leaving Hibs = generally means going down the way.....So it's for sure your last chance saloon and the signs are you are going to take it.

matty_f
12-12-2011, 12:10 PM

Totally agree with this. I think the position and role Lewis had on Saturday suits him better than the left mid/left back roles he's filled in at in the past.

He deserves all the credit but it'll be forgotten if he doesn't play as well this weekend, and the game after that and so on. Consistency is key, if he can sort that then he'll be well worth a new contract.

Shrekko
12-12-2011, 01:17 PM
I have to say, although I was very pleased with how he played on Saturday, the reactions to when Lewis has a good game are verging on hysterical. He suddenly transforms into a slightly misunderstood Xavi in the eyes of some of his hardcore fans.

Some players of similar talent must wish they had been shown so much understanding by Hibs fans.

Let's hope he keeps up the good work but lets also wait until he does it over a decent length of time before further rash statements. Despite what people say, his record of appearances shows that ALL managers have given him a good crack of the whip. The problem has been that his excellent performances have been in only a small fraction of those games.

calumb
12-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I have to say, although I was very pleased with how he played on Saturday, the reactions to when Lewis has a good game are verging on hysterical. He suddenly transforms into a slightly misunderstood Xavi in the eyes of some of his hardcore fans.

Some players of similar talent must wish they had been shown so much understanding by Hibs fans.

Let's hope he keeps up the good work but lets also wait until he does it over a decent length of time before further rash statements. Despite what people say, his record of appearances shows that ALL managers have given him a good crack of the whip. The problem has been that his excellent performances have been in only a small fraction of those games.

I don't think thats fare to say as yogi only gave Stevenson 7 starts during his time as manager and last season he had not kicked a ball for Hibs until yogi was sacked. Mixu did give him a good crack of the whip as you say but don't forget that under mixu at times we only had a 2 man midfield which was a thankless task for the players expected to play there.

Stevenson has the potential to be the most effective player at the club and i hope fenlon sees this quickly and gets the performances out of him every week he is capable of delivering. If not he will leave Hibs at the end of the season, another spl club will snap him up and do just that and people on here will be complaining as to how he did not do that for Hibs.