PDA

View Full Version : Signs of improvement + match ratings.

FromTheCapital
10-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Not saying that were brilliant today but definately some signs of improvement. Wotherspoon, Osbourne, Stevenson and Hanlon all having decent games.
Stack didn't have much to do but he couldn't do anything about the goals.
Griffiths should've scored just before halftime which could've changed the outcome.
All in all not amazing but no awful either.

Ratings :

Stack (6) Didn't have loads to do but did what he needed to well, couldn't do anything about the goals.

Hart (0.01) No typing error there unfortunately, one of the worst performances I've ever seen from any player.
O'Hanlon (6) Again, didn't have much to do but cannot jump without fouling a player.
Stephens (6) Not much to fault, decent game.
Hanlon (7) Thought he had a good game today, one of the better Hibs players today. Defended well.

Griffiths (6) Big chance just before halfime that he should've finished. Put himself about but nothing special.
Osbourne (7) Put in a great shift. Worked hard and won majority of tackles.
Stevenson (7) Thought his time was up a couple of months back but proved today he could still be valuable to Pat Fenlon.
Sproule (5) Good ball in for the Griffiths chance but didn't have a good game and wasn't willing to take on the defence.
Wotherspoon (7) Good game and put in a good shift. Another decent Hibs performance.

O'Connor (5) Put in a decent shift but first touch, passing and finishing was all very poor.

SUBS :

Galbraith (5) Not much time to do anything but at least attacked the defence.
Sodje (3) No time.
Caldwell (3) Again, no time.

REF :

(7) Got the pen decision right had a decent game to be honest.

Allant1981
10-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Stack - 6
Hart - 1
Stephens - 7
O'hanlon - 7
Hanlon -7
Griffiths - 4
Osbourne - 8
Stevenson - 8
Sproule - 6
Weatherspoon - 7
O'connor - 6

crash
10-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Stack 4
Hart 2
O'hanlon 5
Stephens 5
Hanlon 4
Griffiths 3
Wotherspoon 2
Stevenson 6
Obourne 6
Sproule 4
O'connor 4

Total clearout required Mr. Fenlon.

Elephant Stone
10-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Stack 6

Hart 3
O'Hanlon 4
Stephens 5
Hanlon 5

Sproule- 4
Stevenson 8
Osbourne 6+
Griffiths 4
Wotherspoon 4

O'Connor 5

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-12-2011, 02:32 PM
No player ratings from me, but the most noticeable point IMO was the sitting roles that wee lewis and spoony played. Thought that gave us the basis of a decent shape and if Fenlon can see that in two weeks and can build on ideas that work rather than folded arms and hoping, then I am encouraged.

Beefster
10-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Stack 5

Hart 3
O'Hanlon 4
Stephens 4
Hanlon 4

Sproule 4
Stevenson 6
Osbourne 5
Griffiths 4
Wotherspoon 4

O'Connor 4

The fact that some are talking about that performance being an improvement just shows how far we've fallen. They need to stop playing one upfront too.

essexhibee
10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Guys missed the game on tv today due to work commitments. Sounds like I didn't miss much however :greengrin: .... Living down here its hard to make a judgement, from those that have seen us numerous times this season is it fair to say we should have enough to stay up? Or is there a real chance do you think this year we could go down? I suppose there's still a while to go but with the teams below us looking like they are going to pick up points its not looking great...

dmc1875
10-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Stack 4
Hart 2
O'hanlon 5
Stephens 5
Hanlon 4
Griffiths 3
Wotherspoon 2
Stevenson 6
Obourne 6
Sproule 4
O'connor 4

Total clearout required Mr. Fenlon.

First post lads, but cant agree with this post! How can you rate Wotherspoon a 2? were you at the game? He might have not set the heather a light but he worked hard and made some decent passes, looked up for it and had much more energy than the Wotherspoon of a few weeks back. Stevenson was very good, best performance in years for him for me! Stack had nothing to do, I dont think he can be blamed for the second goal, hart lost his man (although why was he marking Jelavic in the first place)

And Griffiths, nothing went right for him today but you cant argue that he worked tremendously hard.

My ratings:

Stack- 6
Hart- 1
O'Hanlon- 7
Stephens- 7
Hanlon- 6
Wotherspoon- 6
Osbourne- 6
Stevenson- 8
Sproule- 5
O'Connor- 5
Griffiths- 6

I think we need to remember that as bad as this Rangers team is, they are still top of the league and we are in a relegation dogfight.

That was a much improved performance on most of the dross we have seen this season, the most pleasing thing for me was the fight the team showed and we would not have lost that game if it wasn't for Hart gifting Rangers the points.

skipster7
10-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Not saying that were brilliant today but definately some signs of improvement. Wotherspoon, Osbourne, Stevenson and Hanlon all having decent games.
Griffiths should've scored just before halftime which could've changed the outcome.

Ratings :

Stack (6) Didn't have loads to do but did what he needed to well, couldn't do anything about the goals.

Hart (0.01) No typing error there unfortunately, one of the worst performances I've ever seen from any player.
O'Hanlon (6) Again, didn't have much to do but cannot jump without fouling a player.
Hanlon (7) Thought he had a good game today, one of the better Hibs players today. Defended well.

Griffiths (6) Big chance just before halfime that he should've finished. Put himself about but nothing special.
Stevenson (7) Thought his time was up a couple of months back but proved today he could still be valuable to Pat Fenlon.
Sproule (5) Good ball in for the Griffiths chance but didn't have a good game and wasn't willing to take on the defence.
Wotherspoon (7) Good game and put in a good shift. Another decent Hibs performance.

O'Connor (5) Put in a decent shift but first touch, passing and finishing was all very poor.

SUBS :

Sodje (3) No time.

REF :

mostly agree apart from the 2nd goal, either stacks ball or one of our big CHs should have had their CF wrapped up.neither fill me with confidence & all 3 would get a 5 max.

tamig
10-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Ratings :

SUBS :

Sodje (3) No time.

REF :

Oh yes he could. The second goal was from about 2 yards out while he was rooted to his line. He should have done much better there.

dmc1875
10-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Stack 5

Hart 3
O'Hanlon 4
Stephens 4
Hanlon 4

Sproule 4
Stevenson 6
Osbourne 5
Griffiths 4
Wotherspoon 4

O'Connor 4

The fact that some are talking about that performance being an improvement just shows how far we've fallen. They need to stop playing one upfront too.

Agree with the 1 up front. And your right it does show that, but we need to remember that we are mince as a team and need a complete turnaround. Today though, there was a marked improvement in effort from the team as a whole, and if it wasnt for Hart we would have probably held one of the Old firm at home which considering how bad we have been of late, would have been a great result.

matty_f
10-12-2011, 02:50 PM
No player ratings from me, but the most noticeable point IMO was the sitting roles that wee lewis and spoony played. Thought that gave us the basis of a decent shape and if Fenlon can see that in two weeks and can build on ideas that work rather than folded arms and hoping, then I am encouraged.

Stevenson and Wotherspoon both played well today, and were a big part in why Rangers didn't really manage to create anything against us. Osbourne looked very comfortable in the role he had as well, and I think the three of them definitely had the better of the Rangers midfield today.

Of course, the scoreline doesn't reflect that, but any good work done by the midfield was tossed away by a moment of utter, utter stupidity from Hart when he conceded the penalty.

Ratings from me:

Stack - 6 - couldn't do anything about the goals and gets a kind of default rating as he could have watched most of the game from the stand, as he had so little to do.
Hart - minus infinity. Sold the pies. In fact, would have been better selling pies. Cost us the game with the penalty after doing his best to do it twice in the first half with slack play around our box. Sure he had some good moments in the game somewhere, however he is the single biggest reason we're talking about a defeat and not at least a draw.
O'Hanlon - 8 Coped well with Jellywitch and protected Stack well. Thought 8 was maybe too high a score, but I'm struggling to think of anything he did that would bring his score down.
Stephens - 8 See O'Hanlon. There's a good player there.
Hanlon - 7 Defended well for the most part, and should have scored from the header when we went 0-1 down. Would like to see a bit more from him going forward but I thought he played relatively well today.

Sproule - 6 Had one chance to take the ball in one on one with McGregor in the first half after a great pass from Osbourne, but cut back for some reason. Didn't have a bad game but never really got going.
Wotherspoon - 8 Was playing very well until he was moved to right back. He and Stevenson linked well and closed down effectively. That's probably the best game I've seen him play, to be honest.
Stevenson - 9 Terrific game from Lewis. I generally am of the opinion that he's not good enough for Hibs, however if he plays like that every week he'd be about the first name on the team sheet (unless I was starting writing from the goalkeeper, of course.)
Osbourne - 8 I think he's the best player at the club at the moment by a distance. Occassionally mis-places a pass here and there, but is the only player showing that he can play a defence splitting pass as he did for Sproule in the first half. Excellent close control and covers a lot of ground.
Griffiths - 5 Needs to know when to pass and when to take folk on, had a great chance to score in the first half and really should have done a lot better than he did. For someone that has a reputation as being pacey, I'm yet to see him really get by anyone. Did make a good GIRFUY gesture in the first half so deserves some recognition for that.
O'Connor - 5 Got hee-haw protection from the ref, and ran about a lot. Was notable for making tackles on Hibs players at least twice in the game.

Not going to rate the subs as I had to leave shortly after Galbraith came on (working at the other side of town at 3 :dummytit: so had to get a jump on the traffic!)

Some real positives to take from the game, obviously the huns will have left as the happier fans, but I thought we were the better team this afternoon.

Ferryhibby
10-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Stack wasnt at fault for the second goal???, he should wear a cloak and probably cant see his reflection hes that scared of crosses, its only 2 yards at least make a bloody attempt for it.

SteveHFC
10-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Stack 5

Hart 4
O'Hanlon 4
Stephens 4
Hanlon 4

Sproule 4
Stevenson 7
Osbourne 6
Griffiths 4
Wotherspoon 5

O'Connor 3

zlatan
10-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Stack seems to have cost us a lot of goals this season by simply watching crosses float past him on the edge of the six yard box. Punt.

matty_f
10-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Stack seems to have cost us a lot of goals this season by simply watching crosses float past him on the edge of the six yard box. Punt.

I'd be surprised if there is a goalkeeper in the SPL that would have come for that corner today. The fault lies with whoever was supposed to be picking up Jellywitch IMHO. He should never have had a free header.

zlatan
10-12-2011, 03:07 PM
I'd be surprised if there is a goalkeeper in the SPL that would have come for that corner today. The fault lies with whoever was supposed to be picking up Jellywitch IMHO. He should never have had a free header.

Oh absolutely, it just seemed to sit in the air so long he could have tried to get a fist on it.

Allant1981
10-12-2011, 03:10 PM
I really dont get how people are only giving stephens and o'hanlon 4's when pretty much nothing got past them all day

matty_f
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
I really dont get how people are only giving stephens and o'hanlon 4's when pretty much nothing got past them all day

I think it's habit!:agree:

Needless to say, I agree with you - both played well today, though I suppose there is the question of who should have been marking the Rangers player that scored at their corner.

IWasThere2016
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Hart loses Jelavic and isn't even facing the play when the header goes in. What the fugg was Yogi thinking about signing that yin???

matty_f
10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Hart loses Jelavic and isn't even facing the play when the header goes in. What the fugg was Yogi thinking about signing that yin???

I thought at the time Hart should have been picking him up, as Stevenson (IIRC) had a right go at Hart when the header went in, as if to say 'he was your man'.

I didn't want to just assume that to be the case given that Hart's already cost us the game by giving away the penalty, I thought I'd maybe just villainised him in my head, and aportioned blame because I was in a mood with him anyway!

Given that you've now confirmed what I thought, I'd like to deduct a further 10 points from the rating I gave to Hart in my ratings post.:agree:

IWasThere2016
10-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I thought at the time Hart should have been picking him up, as Stevenson (IIRC) had a right go at Hart when the header went in, as if to say 'he was your man'.

I didn't want to just assume that to be the case given that Hart's already cost us the game by giving away the penalty, I thought I'd maybe just villainised him in my head, and aportioned blame because I was in a mood with him anyway!

Given that you've now confirmed what I thought, I'd like to deduct a further 10 points from the rating I gave to Hart in my ratings post.:agree:

Hart is pish. Never fit to wear the jersey!

matty_f
10-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Hart is pish. Never fit to wear the jersey!

Probably the most accurate thing you've ever posted on here.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Stack 6
Hart -10000239
Hanlon 4
O'Hanlon 6
Stephens 7
Griffiths 5
Osbourne 7.5
Wotherspoon 7
Stevenson 8
Sroule 5
O'Conner 4

JustSimplyHibs
10-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Stack 6
Hart 2 Why o why? Please go!
OHanlon 6
Stephens 6
Hanlon 6
Griffiths 6 Not EPL standard
Osbourne 7
Stevenson 8 MOM
Sproule 4 Please go!
Wotherspoon 5 Sold himself twice by jumping in when moved to RB
O'Connor 7

SUBS :
Galbraith 5 If anything should be starting ahead of Ivan

Rangers were there for the taking :rolleyes:

BroxburnHibee
10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Stevenson and Wotherspoon both played well today, and were a big part in why Rangers didn't really manage to create anything against us. Osbourne looked very comfortable in the role he had as well, and I think the three of them definitely had the better of the Rangers midfield today.

Of course, the scoreline doesn't reflect that, but any good work done by the midfield was tossed away by a moment of utter, utter stupidity from Hart when he conceded the penalty.

Ratings from me:

Stack - 6 - couldn't do anything about the goals and gets a kind of default rating as he could have watched most of the game from the stand, as he had so little to do.
Hart - minus infinity. Sold the pies. In fact, would have been better selling pies. Cost us the game with the penalty after doing his best to do it twice in the first half with slack play around our box. Sure he had some good moments in the game somewhere, however he is the single biggest reason we're talking about a defeat and not at least a draw.
O'Hanlon - 8 Coped well with Jellywitch and protected Stack well. Thought 8 was maybe too high a score, but I'm struggling to think of anything he did that would bring his score down.
Stephens - 8 See O'Hanlon. There's a good player there.
Hanlon - 7 Defended well for the most part, and should have scored from the header when we went 0-1 down. Would like to see a bit more from him going forward but I thought he played relatively well today.

Sproule - 6 Had one chance to take the ball in one on one with McGregor in the first half after a great pass from Osbourne, but cut back for some reason. Didn't have a bad game but never really got going.
Wotherspoon - 8 Was playing very well until he was moved to right back. He and Stevenson linked well and closed down effectively. That's probably the best game I've seen him play, to be honest.
Stevenson - 9 Terrific game from Lewis. I generally am of the opinion that he's not good enough for Hibs, however if he plays like that every week he'd be about the first name on the team sheet (unless I was starting writing from the goalkeeper, of course.)
Osbourne - 8 I think he's the best player at the club at the moment by a distance. Occassionally mis-places a pass here and there, but is the only player showing that he can play a defence splitting pass as he did for Sproule in the first half. Excellent close control and covers a lot of ground.
Griffiths - 5 Needs to know when to pass and when to take folk on, had a great chance to score in the first half and really should have done a lot better than he did. For someone that has a reputation as being pacey, I'm yet to see him really get by anyone. Did make a good GIRFUY gesture in the first half so deserves some recognition for that.
O'Connor - 5 Got hee-haw protection from the ref, and ran about a lot. Was notable for making tackles on Hibs players at least twice in the game.

Not going to rate the subs as I had to leave shortly after Galbraith came on (working at the other side of town at 3 :dummytit: so had to get a jump on the traffic!)

Some real positives to take from the game, obviously the huns will have left as the happier fans, but I thought we were the better team this afternoon.

Pretty much agree with all those ratings apart from maybe Lewis & Ozzy.

I think you can make a case for either of them as our best player today.

For me Lewis is so frustrating in that we all know he's capable of displays like that - unfortunately we rarely see them.

Hopefully given that he was hooked right after their second, PF now knows why Hart should be nowhere near any Hibs team.

matty_f
10-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Pretty much agree with all those ratings apart from maybe Lewis & Ozzy.

I think you can make a case for either of them as our best player today.

For me Lewis is so frustrating in that we all know he's capable of displays like that - unfortunately we rarely see them.

Hopefully given that he was hooked right after their second, PF now knows why Hart should be nowhere near any Hibs team.

Agree with you - I thought Lewis just shaded it for MOTM, but like you say it could just have easily been given to Ozzy. Think I was just that happy to see Lewis have a game like that, that I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Aldo
10-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Stevenson was my Motm today closely followed by Ozzy. Tenacious in the tackle and led by example. PF gave Ozzy bit of a more forward role today.

Need CH to replace OHanlon and for me another CF. priority though must be a RB.

Very poor Hun team IMHO and TBH we beat ourselves today.

Stevenson showing but more like the prayer we saw a number of years ago!

matty_f
10-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Stevenson was my Motm today closely followed by Ozzy. Tenacious in the tackle and led by example. PF gave Ozzy bit of a more forward role today.

Need CH to replace OHanlon and for me another CF. priority though must be a RB.

Very poor Hun team IMHO and TBH we beat ourselves today.

Stevenson showing but more like the prayer we saw a number of years ago!

I think the O'Hanlon/Stephens pairing is looking solid enough, so I don't think there's a huge need to replace O'Hanlon. IMHO, it took him a long time to adjust to the SPL, but for me he seems to have found his feet at this level and is doing well enough. I agree about the right back, though - has to be a priority which is a real shame considering we brought Towell in through the summer to play there.

NAE NOOKIE
10-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Stack .............. 5
Hart ............... 1
O'Hanlon ......... 6
Stephens ..........6
Hanlon .............6
Osbourne .........7
Stevenson ........8
Wotherspoon ... 7
Sproule ............5
Griffiths .......... 5
O'Connor ......... 3

Fenlon ..... 7

Stack perhaps could have done better at the 2nd goal. Hart wants shooting for the pen and poor position at 2nd goal. O'Hanlon, Stephens and Hanlon were pretty solid. Ozzy and Spooney were not bad at all, Stevenson had his best game for at least 2 years. Ivan was OK and did some good defensive work in the first half. Griffiths worked hard, but what a chance he missed. Apart from Hart the biggest disappointment for me was G O'C who's first touch, passing and decision making were poor all day.

Pat Fenlon certainly had them well set up and I thought we competed really well. I do think we gave an average Current bun team too much respect and possession at times and feel we should have pressed them higher up the park. Perhaps shows that Pat ( like Calderwood ) is aware of our lack of pace at the back and is afraid to leave too much room between the defence and the keeper.

A definate improvement on recent times, lets hope it keeps going.

jdships
10-12-2011, 04:40 PM

Only saw the game on TV but would agree 100% with that :agree:

CK_HFC
10-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Confused as to why some people are giving Wotherspoon a 4/5? I cant remember a great deal he did wrong during the game. His passing was good and he was always looking to get on the ball. Minimum rating of 7.

JustSimplyHibs
10-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Confused as to why some people are giving Wotherspoon a 4/5? I cant remember a great deal he did wrong during the game. His passing was good and he was always looking to get on the ball. Minimum rating of 7.

He got moved to right back, his body lanuage changed (looked at the ground and shock his head before moving, he should be privildged to play for Hibs and Prof football) jumped into tackles from the RB area which allowed Rangers to get past him on a couple of occasions

CK_HFC
10-12-2011, 05:22 PM
He got moved to right back, his body lanuage changed (looked at the ground and shock his head before moving, he should be privildged to play for Hibs and Prof football) jumped into tackles from the RB area which allowed Rangers to get past him on a couple of occasions

OK i can understand where your coming from there, but up until he moved to RB, he was without doubt one of the better players on the park. Just don't understand the criticism he gets. He's not had the best of seasons so far nor the previous season, but which player in the hibs team had when Calderwood was in charge? The guy has definetely has ability.

lucky
10-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Stack 5 thought he should have come for the cross that lead to the second goal

Hart 5 getting better
O'Hanlon 6 competed well
Stephens 6 a big stopper and nothing else
Hanlon 6 tried hard and got forward a few timees

Griffiths 4 this guy cant finish. Punt him back to Wolves
Osbourne 6.5 worked hard but his first touch was very poor
Stevenson 8 best game in years. Won his tackles,and headers and good contribution
Sproule 5 works hard but not much of a player. His crossing was better today
Wotherspoon 7 Played well in the middle of the park. Some good passes

O'Connor 4 trapping the ball further than most can kick it. Never had a shot at goal

SUBS :

Galbraith 3 tried but clearly not good enough
Sodje 3 would consider him in front off O connor next week
Caldwell 2 never touched the ball in anger

hibsbollah
10-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Stack 4 At fault for the second goal. His shot stopping is his strong point but his inability to at least step out and punch is costing us.

Hart 2 Started well and then....
Stephens 7
O'Hanlon 7
Hanlon 6

Stevenson 8 He hasnt had a bad game for ages but today was his best performance i can remember. He and Ozzie are doing a great job in the middle.

Osborne 8 Up against Davis and won that battle, which is praise enough.

Spoony 7 Much improved. Wants the ball again.

Ivan 6

Griffiths 6

Garry 4 Has gone from being our only threat first ten games to being anonymous last ten games. When's the court case?

A definite improvement, and Fenlons two holding midfielders system is helping us look more solid. The ridiculous goals aside, i thought we were worth a point.

Overall

TornadoHibby
10-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Stack wasnt at fault for the second goal???, he should wear a cloak and probably cant see his reflection hes that scared of crosses, its only 2 yards at least make a bloody attempt for it.

That's how I saw it too! :confused:

Failing to deal with crosses into his 6 yard box has always been a huge black hole in Stack's game IMO and, inevitably, goals will come from that failing regularly as we saw today! :agree:

The keeper should always have a height (reach) advantage in a straight "fight for the ball" and even if he only spoils the attackers header, he might well have done what he is there to do, namely keep the ball out of our net! :agree:

TornadoHibby
10-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Only saw the game on TV but would agree 100% with that :agree:

I was at the game with a great view of the cross in the goalmouth area AND have seen it on TV also and don't agree with you! :confused:

Stack could easily have stepped out and punched the ball clear or, at worst, spoiled Jelavic's heading opportunity! :agree:

matty_f
10-12-2011, 06:16 PM
That's how I saw it too! :confused:

Failing to deal with crosses into his 6 yard box has always been a huge black hole in Stack's game IMO and, inevitably, goals will come from that failing regularly as we saw today! :agree:

The keeper should always have a height (reach) advantage in a straight "fight for the ball" and even if he only spoils the attackers header, he might well have done what he is there to do, namely keep the ball out of our net! :agree:

the cross was an inswinging ball played outside the 6 yard box but swinging back intowards the goal.

No way should Stack have come for it. If Hart does his job and challenges Jelavich, that goal doesn't happen or is at least less likely to happen. Stack was 100% not to blame for that goal. My seat is in the West right at that end of the pitch where the goal was scored. I had a perfect view of it and have seen it again on tv. Stack wouldn't have gotten anywhere near it if he'd come for it, and Jelavich would have headed into an empty net.

Baldy Foghorn
10-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Stevenson was my MOM....

Hart is a total liability, cant control a ball, cant pass and very slow......

One point in first half he actually kicked ball off the bye line when ball was going out for a goal kick....Gave away penalty, lost Jelavic at second.....Please Mr Fenlon get this joker away from the starting 11:rolleyes:

frazeHFC
10-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Stack 5

Hart -2
O'Hanlon 5
Stephens 6
Hanlon 6

Sproule 4
Wothespoon 6
Osbourne 7
Stevenson 8
Griffiths 5

O'Connor 3

Greenblood70
10-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Was a strange old game today. It was so short of any sort of quality in the first half I nearly dozed off. Rarely seen pro players struggle to take a decent first touch as often as I did today. So many basics were wrong, from throw ins, to marking on the wrong side of your man.

Second half we looked suddenly energised and I thought we were going to dominate Rangers. Unfortunately tho the curse of "unworkable legacies" popped up to ensure we had a mountain to climb. From looking like we were gaining in belief we quickly shipped 2 goals in a game we were never really looking too bad in. Not great, but not horrendous either until Hart's bombscare moments.

If we can jettison the players costing us more often than not I reckon PF will at least make us harder to beat. All thoughts of attractive football are a pipe dream imo, we just don't have enough quality in the playing staff.

Its grim, but hopefully we can stay up.

Speedway
10-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Stack - 6

Hart - 9
Murdock - 6
Stephens - 6
Hanlon - 6

Spoon - 6
Ozzy - 7
Lewis - 7
Sproule - 5
Terry - 6

GOC Wan - 5

TornadoHibby
10-12-2011, 07:40 PM
the cross was an inswinging ball played outside the 6 yard box but swinging back intowards the goal.

No way should Stack have come for it. If Hart does his job and challenges Jelavich, that goal doesn't happen or is at least less likely to happen. Stack was 100% not to blame for that goal. My seat is in the West right at that end of the pitch where the goal was scored. I had a perfect view of it and have seen it again on tv. Stack wouldn't have gotten anywhere near it if he'd come for it, and Jelavich would have headed into an empty net.

Sorry, don't agree and never will about Stack's unwillingness to come off his line to "de-risk" crosses into his 6 yard box which is the "keeper's area" after all! :rolleyes:

Always better to try and fail IMO than to wait for the inevitable which is what he did today! :agree:

I really can't see why you would think that he "wouldn't have gotten anywhere near it if he'd come for it" but your justification for him not coming off his line is exactly what happened when he stayed on it! :confused:

truehibernian
10-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Have to say (as an eternal optimist in the midst of gloom), I am quite surprised that fans are giving is credit today.

I thought we were dreadful, utterly dreadful. I agreed 100% with John Collins' analysis (if indeed he is saying he would be unhappy if U14's played like that). First half the first touch from some players, notably Hart, Sproule, O'Connor and Hanlon was atrocious. Osbourne and Stevenson were again by far the best players in green and white. Griffiths showed little flashes and was unlucky twice to be called back rather than the advantage being played when a player had been fouled (Brines had a good game but twice Hibs were in great positions and he was too quick to blow).

Stephens looked commanding enough, but there were too many aimless and hopeless balls, either down the flank or passes way too short or to the wrong player.

Rangers are awful. The best chance we have had to beat them was today. But we went out intent on playing safe, rather than what I was hoping and the side having the confidence in themselves to take the game to Rangers from the off.

Second half we improved first 10 minutes, but again, our final ball or touch was schoolboy like. Safe to say I just knew a Rangers goal was coming despite our start to the half. The players went into a wee retreat. We really need (and needed) a couple of experienced leaders today to get us higher up the pitch and to really take the game to them. Hart was poor......so poor that I honestly think he would be a lucky boy to even end up in the SFL. Thank god Lewis, DW and Osbourne limited the balls in midfield so they couldn't get it wide to Wilde, because that lad had Hart on toast. The midfield defended well today, I have to say. It's the quietest I have seen Davis in a long time.

All in all, and again I am usually the eternal optmist, I can only see a horrible relegation battle looming for us. The time lacks experience in the right areas, creativity from midfield, and above all confidence. Fenlon certainly looks the part, and I could see the side working more agreed. But what can you do when your pro's can't even pass a ball a few yards, or control an easy pass from a throw in. A real shambles for me today technically.

Or am I being an old bahhumbug (I probably am) ?

hibsbollah
10-12-2011, 07:51 PM
A bit harsh IMO TH, and i usually agree with your post match assessments.

What encourages me is the shape. Midfield is the area that benefits most from having a system that all the players understand, and Spoony, Lewis, Osborne and Griffiths and Ivan out wide know what their jobs are. Some of them might not be good enough as individuals in the medium to long term. But im confident whoever comes in under Fenlon will know what their jobs are and be told what to do in no uncertain terms.

And thats a big improvement on what we've been used to :flag:

matty_f
10-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Sorry, don't agree and never will about Stack's unwillingness to come off his line to "de-risk" crosses into his 6 yard box which is the "keeper's area" after all! :rolleyes:

Always better to try and fail IMO than to wait for the inevitable which is what he did today! :agree:

I really can't see why you would think that he "wouldn't have gotten anywhere near it if he'd come for it" but your justification for him not coming off his line is exactly what happened when he stayed on it! :confused:

The cross only came into the 6 yard box when it reached Jelavic's head, therefore by your own definition it's outwith the "keeper's area".:rolleyes:

Many Hibs keepers recently have tried and failed coming for crosses and when the opposition inevitably score from it the keepers get slated for it. :agree:

As for the last point, Stack has a far better chance of saving the header if he's not already out the equation having missed the cross. He didn't save it on this occasion but he has done on others. :confused:

truehibernian
10-12-2011, 08:03 PM
A bit harsh IMO TH, and i usually agree with your post match assessments.

What encourages me is the shape. Midfield is the area that benefits most from having a system that all the players understand, and Spoony, Lewis, Osborne and Griffiths and Ivan out wide know what their jobs are. Some of them might not be good enough as individuals in the medium to long term. But im confident whoever comes in under Fenlon will know what their jobs are and be told what to do in no uncertain terms.

And thats a big improvement on what we've been used to :flag:

You're probably right bollah, just it's the first time in a long time I have felt miserable watching Hibs (due to their chronic inability to do the basics...........I counted four times that a Hibs player player, when receiving a simple throw-in, passed it back to the thrower seeing it go out of play. That for me at this level is incredulous. Certainly more so when it's in a 45 minute period of football.

I think you're right, but I am also basing it on the fact that Rangers were as poor as I have seen them. Yep, our midfield stifled them and I thought Osbourne was good, alongside an ever improving Lewis.

The sheer lack of midfield invention and creativity is startling. I am all for playing with width, indeed I was crying out for it pre-season. But you also have to play teams through the middle and higher up the pitch. We don't have that kind of player or players.

The technical aspect of our game today for me was woeful. The workrate was superb I admit. But I like the technical side of the game and at this level it's not too much to ask players to control, turn and pass with a little more care and ease.

I'll get wired into the mulled wine and I am sure my next post will be far more positive :greengrin

TornadoHibby
10-12-2011, 08:23 PM
The cross only came into the 6 yard box when it reached Jelavic's head, therefore by your own definition it's outwith the "keeper's area".:rolleyes:

Many Hibs keepers recently have tried and failed coming for crosses and when the opposition inevitably score from it the keepers get slated for it. :agree:

As for the last point, Stack has a far better chance of saving the header if he's not already out the equation having missed the cross. He didn't save it on this occasion but he has done on others. :confused:

I'm just a practical kind of guy and Stack could and should have done much better than he did today regarding the second goal which would have been really easy for him as he did nothing! Whether the ball was marginally in or out of the six yard box (and we are talking about marginally here :rolleyes:) is neither here nor there if his action prevents a goal rather than his inaction doing nothing to prevent one! :confused:

I understand the theory about goalkeeping which you have kindly set out in your post and why some managers like their keepers to leave the big defenders to deal with crosses and stay on their line. :agree:

However, theory sometimes needs to be binned in situations like today IMO where any action from Stack in the region of where the ball was likely to be met by a player's head would have been better then none at all! :confused:

matty_f
10-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm just a practical kind of guy and Stack could and should have done much netter than he did today regarding the second goal which would have been really easy for him as he did nothing! Whether the ball was marginally in or out of the six yard box (and we are talking about marginally here :rolleyes:) is neitehr here nor there if his action prevents a goal rather than his inaction doing nothing to prevent one! :confused:

I understand the theory about goalkeeping which you have kindly set out in your post and why some managers like their keepers to leave the big defenders to deal with crosses and stay on their line. :agree:

However, theory sometimes needs to be binned in situations like today IMO where any action from Stack in the region of where the ball was likely to be met by a player's head would have been better then none at all! :confused:

In your opinion.:agree:

TornadoHibby
10-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm just a practical kind of guy and Stack could and should have done much better than he did today regarding the second goal which would have been really easy for him as he did nothing! Whether the ball was marginally in or out of the six yard box (and we are talking about marginally here :rolleyes:) is neither here nor there if his action prevents a goal rather than his inaction doing nothing to prevent one! :confused:

In your opinion.:agree:

As I said earlier and everything you have said on the subject is your opinion! :agree:

That's what this MB, like most others, is all about, expression of opinions! :agree:

J-C
10-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Stack 5

Hart 3
O'Hanlon 4
Stephens 4
Hanlon 4

Sproule 4
Stevenson 6
Osbourne 5
Griffiths 4
Wotherspoon 4

O'Connor 4

Playing a 4-5-1 xmas tree formation actually works if you've got 2 wide players putting in a shift to get forward/back( see Man U ), 1 holding midfielder and 1 creative midfielder. Unfortunately we don't have a creative midfielder at ER, this is something Fenlon has to sort out ASAP in January, no point having pace/team spirit & good working principles if no one is creating.

Cropley10
10-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Stack - 4

Hart - 1
O'Hanlon 4
Stephens 5
Hanlon 3

Spoon 5
Lewis 8

Ivan 6
Ozzy 7
Terry 5

GOC - 5

TornadoHibby
10-12-2011, 09:23 PM

Just saw the goal again on the BBC news and Stack was around 3 yards from Jelavic at the point of head contact to the ball by Jelavic around 4 yards from the goal line! :agree:

How long does it take a fit and substantially built athlete to travel 3 yards to punch a ball or simply get in the way of the ball? :confused:

It's easier to do nothing and blame others it might seem although Hart should have done better too before the ball got close to Stack! :rolleyes:

Sammy7nil
10-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Stack 5 He gives No one confidence.

Hart 0 leave now please
O'Hanlon 6 did okay
Stephens 6 did okay
Hanlon 6 did okay

Sproule- 3 Even his cross for Griffiths effort was poor
Stevenson 8 Hibs MOM
Osbourne 6+ He may something
Griffiths 3 He missed a sitter then missed another but was offside, he tried to annoy the Huns and failed.
Wotherspoon 5 just not quite got it.
O'Connor 3 If he fails to score he offers nothing he is incapable of holding the ball up

mim
10-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Stack - 6

Hart - 9
Murdock - 6
Stephens - 6
Hanlon - 6

Spoon - 6
Ozzy - 7
Lewis - 7
Sproule - 5
Terry - 6

GOC Wan - 5

Is that + or - 9, Speedway?

AFKA5814_Hibs
10-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Graham Stack is a big guy, he should be clattering everybody in his sight, even his own players to clear a corner like that. That was a goalkeepers ball IMHO.

BoltonHibee
10-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Have to say (as an eternal optimist in the midst of gloom), I am quite surprised that fans are giving is credit today.

I thought we were dreadful, utterly dreadful. I agreed 100% with John Collins' analysis (if indeed he is saying he would be unhappy if U14's played like that). First half the first touch from some players, notably Hart, Sproule, O'Connor and Hanlon was atrocious. Osbourne and Stevenson were again by far the best players in green and white. Griffiths showed little flashes and was unlucky twice to be called back rather than the advantage being played when a player had been fouled (Brines had a good game but twice Hibs were in great positions and he was too quick to blow).

Stephens looked commanding enough, but there were too many aimless and hopeless balls, either down the flank or passes way too short or to the wrong player.

Rangers are awful. The best chance we have had to beat them was today. But we went out intent on playing safe, rather than what I was hoping and the side having the confidence in themselves to take the game to Rangers from the off.

Second half we improved first 10 minutes, but again, our final ball or touch was schoolboy like. Safe to say I just knew a Rangers goal was coming despite our start to the half. The players went into a wee retreat. We really need (and needed) a couple of experienced leaders today to get us higher up the pitch and to really take the game to them. Hart was poor......so poor that I honestly think he would be a lucky boy to even end up in the SFL. Thank god Lewis, DW and Osbourne limited the balls in midfield so they couldn't get it wide to Wilde, because that lad had Hart on toast. The midfield defended well today, I have to say. It's the quietest I have seen Davis in a long time.

All in all, and again I am usually the eternal optmist, I can only see a horrible relegation battle looming for us. The time lacks experience in the right areas, creativity from midfield, and above all confidence. Fenlon certainly looks the part, and I could see the side working more agreed. But what can you do when your pro's can't even pass a ball a few yards, or control an easy pass from a throw in. A real shambles for me today technically.

Or am I being an old bahhumbug (I probably am) ?

You must have watched it on tv, because apparently it was a much better game and we were better if you actually watched it in the stadium.

Your summation is pretty well spot on for me.

Big90inOz
11-12-2011, 01:58 AM
First half was truly awful.

2nd half I thought we started quite well against a poor huns team then enter Hart, the man needs someone to put their arm around his shoulder lead him to a long drop and give him a push.

GOC offered nothing, can't trap a ball, can't jump and is slow. If we are going to play one up front it has to be Sodje from our current list.

Griffiths's brain is 2 steps ahead of everyone else, pity his feet aren't.

Hanlon while doing well defensively offered nothing going forward.

Thought O'Hanlon, Lewis and Osbourne were the pick of the bunch

The goal was never ever Stack's ball, ball was bending in towards the back post.

All in it was a poor game with a poor performance BUT it was an improvement.

Septimus
11-12-2011, 07:14 AM
If the ball comes in from a corner between the defensive line and the goalkeeper it has to be the goalkeeper's ball. Stack did not move. The chances of saving a header from four or five yards from a static position are zero unless the ball comes directly to the 'keeper. Much less than saving a penalty from 12 yards. Ergo the 'keeper has to come for such a ball.

Oh for an O'Connor with the first touch of Steve Archibald or David Murphy.

Good game Lewis and pleasing to see that he is being given credit by most.

Aldo
11-12-2011, 08:37 AM
I still don't get why Sproule gets a game from the start. Yeah he can run but that's about that IMHO.

His final ball is terrible.

FWIW I really do think we need someone that can help out GOC up front and can out the ball in the net !

First and foremost hard to beat and then take it from there. There are signs if improvement but the next 2 games , away to sheep and Arabs are crucial. We really need something from these games or we are running the risk of getting isolated at the bottom.

Dinkydoo
11-12-2011, 10:57 AM
In Summary, the first half was very poor, from us and Rangers. The second half we had a bit of a go at them and were unlucky not to be in front after seeing a couple of chances go by. Hart needlessly has Wallace in an arm lock and Rangers score with penalty - which IIRC was thier first shot on target (or at all?) in the whole game. We then put a bit of pressure on them again, and look fairly comfortable at that, then out of a nothing chance Rangers win a corner, Hart loses his man completely and Der Hun find themselves two goals up.

Osbourne had a decent game, some nice effective passing and barely put a foot wrong.

Stevenson, although lacking in quality, showed that he could still be a decent holding midfielder for us.

Hart should never play for us again - shocking from start to finish.

h1bs4life
11-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Stack 5 Reluctance to come off line costing us.

Hart 0 Never play for us again.
O'Hanlon 6 did okay
Stephens 6 did okay
Hanlon 6 did okay like all other so called full backs we have doesnt offer much going forward

Sproule- 4 Impact player at best. back on the bench
Stevenson 7 Hibs MOM .Still dont think he is good enough if we are looking to improve, get where we should be.
Osbourne 6 Decent
Griffiths 4 Not premiership player.Might be something there for us but needs to calm down.
Wotherspoon 5 Bit better but always seemed to look to go back the way with the ball.
O'Connor 3 Not the same player as the start of the season.

1st half better organised, harder to break down than recently.
Better team at start the 2nd half until Hart got involved.Sit in the famous five upper so didnt have a decent view of the penalty but assumed by the reaction of the Hibs players it was a penalty.
Why was Hart matched up with Jelavic at set pieces. Noticed he was marking him in the 1st half and O'Hanlon marking McCulloch wtf was that about.Mentioned that to my mate.
Surely Hanlon, O'Hanlon and Stephens pick up there two centre halfs and Jelavic between them at set pieces.

FromTheCapital
11-12-2011, 01:07 PM
A lot of people moaning about Stack for the 2nd goal? Michael Hart's fault losing Jelavic so easily IMO.
Stack probably should've came for it but Hart never helped him.

:pfgwa

PISTOL1875
11-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Ratings :

SUBS :

Sodje (3) No time.

REF :

Are you having a laugh ?? Don't you think he should've been off his line to collect it or punch it to safety ???

Malthibby
11-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Extended highlights now on Hibs TV.
Emphasisies that Griffiths had left his shooting boots at home (couldn't really see his fiest half chance from the FF but it really was a sitter)
& Hart doesn't come out at all well. Stack clearly unable to do anything about the corner.
O'Connor is largely invisible on the highlights but Stevenson looked awesome.
Very few highlights but showed that the penalty really was Rankers first shot on target.
Onwards & Upwards
GG

Spike Mandela
11-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Some signs of improvement but we need to start getting results NOW.

Next couple of matches are the games we need to start getting points from.

Aberdeen struggling to win, desperate for a result and needing a morale boosting victory well you can read the script along come Hibs to provide this boost. However make no bones about it their fans will be saying the same about their team. If we could get a win up there it would be a massive boost to us and a huge morale denter for them.