PDA

View Full Version : Positives from today

andy1875
10-12-2011, 02:30 PM
On a day when we manage to shoot ourselves in the foot yet again (Michael Hart please don't ever wear a green shirt ever again) I thought there were a few players who did well.

Osbourne, played some nice passes, worked hard and always showed for the ball.
Stephens, stayed strong and won alot of balls in the air.
Sproule, again worked hard and full of running. Unlucky not to get assist wi LG shot.

For me my man of the match was Lewis Stevenson. He's had his fair share of criticism but today he showed a desire to get involved, put in tackles, play simple passes well and overall just very tidy. He will never score 10-15 a season but I liked his fight and that is something that has been missing for a very long time. Well done Lewis.

GGTTH

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I thought we looked better balanced, had a bit more urgency and organisation about us, but the usual failing contributed to us losing.

I agree about Lewis Stevenson, he gave his all. Rarely gave the ball away and broke up the play well. Him and Osbourne and Stephens were the players imo who deserve credit today..

CallumLaidlaw
10-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Agree with all your points. Thought that it was Osbournes best game. Think Stephens has a decent future. Good centre half. We were well organised, first half in particular. Everyone actually looked like they were hungry and knew their role.

TowerHibs
10-12-2011, 02:35 PM
On a day when we manage to shoot ourselves in the foot yet again (Michael Hart please don't ever wear a green shirt ever again) I thought there were a few players who did well.

Sproule, again worked hard and full of running. Unlucky not to get assist wi LG shot.

For me my man of the match was Lewis Stevenson. He's had his fair share of criticism but today he showed a desire to get involved, put in tackles, play simple passes well and overall just very tidy. He will never score 10-15 a season but I liked his fight and that is something that has been missing for a very long time. Well done Lewis.

GGTTH

Agree with all that and I would throw in wetherspoon in midfield. His range of passing, touch and athleticism makes a difference in the middle of the park. O'Connor needs to stay up top and someone to play off. A waste up top himself.

Our whole defence (except Stephens) need to go. hanlon has not been good enough for years, worse at full back. Hart is also dire

scotiaf
10-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Stevenson was brilliant today, he only misplaced 1 pass all game.

We were a decent unit.

Harts giving the penalty hurt us

Leigh did not have his best game, after missing the chance nothing really happened for him

PeterboroHibee
10-12-2011, 02:37 PM
I thought we looked decent today, wasnt a brilliant performance but they all worked together and actually looked like a team. Stevenson and Osbourne were absolutely superb. Osbourne is a class act, powerful, composed on the ball, can actually pass. Stevenson was everywhere, won nearly everything, good passing, generally just an excellent performance (and he worked well with Spoony).

Defence look fairly solid as well, Stack didnt have much to do other than pick the ball out of his net, and both goals were purely down to the errors of one player. Maybe Stack could have done more for the second but still cant afford to lose a striker as good as Jelavic.

Up front was neither here nor there, made a few chances but at least you can build on that going forward if the defence and midfield are performing.

Elephant Stone
10-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Stevenson was definitely our best player, never gave the ball away and won plenty tackles- really good game. I couldn't see much positive elsewhere though, Osbourne had a few not bad pieces of play but I think the midfield as a whole is really, really poor. Absolutely hate watching O'Hanlon, really shakey player and definitely not good enough. Stephens needs to improve loads as well, his confidence is no doubt pretty much rock bottom but he's not good enough at the moment. I would have Booth and Towell back in the defence as soon as possible and someone new to play alongside Hanlon.

HH81
10-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Better ball retention.
Players looked interested
Higher intensity
Better defending
Created chances

Hibercelona
10-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Positives from today

No Hart on the pitch then we may have got at least 1 point today.

nellyedinburgh
10-12-2011, 02:41 PM
stevenson was a positive from today and also hart as fenlon now knows he is utter gash has to be away in jan now

blackpoolhibs
10-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Stevenson was definitely our best player, never gave the ball away and won plenty tackles- really good game. I couldn't see much positive elsewhere though, Osbourne had a few not bad pieces of play but I think the midfield as a whole is really, really poor. Absolutely hate watching O'Hanlon, really shakey player and definitely not good enough. Stephens needs to improve loads as well, his confidence is no doubt pretty much rock bottom but he's not good enough at the moment. I would have Booth and Towell back in the defence as soon as possible and someone new to play alongside Hanlon.

I cant see how you want someone better to play alongside Hanlon, when he has been so poor as a central defender for ages. Stephens has given us much better performances since coming in, and imo he's the one we need this better player to be playing beside.

BoltonHibee
10-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Better ball retention.
Players looked interested
Higher intensity
Better defending
Created chances

Better ball retention? Where did you dream that up?
Higher intensity, possibly in the second half, but snails pace in 1st.
Created chances.....1 maybe 2? Whatever the number and it is low, it's far from acceptable,
We did defend better albeit against dross, that was obviously until that eejit Hart got involved in their two goals

BoltonHibee
10-12-2011, 02:45 PM
I cant see how you want someone better to play alongside Hanlon, when he has been so poor as a central defender for ages. Stephens has given us much better performances since coming in, and imo he's the one we need this better player to be playing beside.

Stephens was impressive today, against a poor side, but impressive nevertheless

Elephant Stone
10-12-2011, 02:45 PM

He's been playing alongside poor centre halves for the time his performance has dropped, he's had too much responsibility. He needs a decent centre half next to him so he can concentrate and develop without worrying and having too much on his shoulders.

SquashedFrogg
10-12-2011, 02:46 PM
stevenson was a positive from today and also hart as fenlon now knows he is utter gash has to be away in jan now

Stack & Hart were the difference today. :grr:

I'm fed up watching Stack rooted to his line when a ball comes into the 6 yard box!!

Broken Gnome
10-12-2011, 02:46 PM
No one mentioned Wotherspoon yet? Much much better.

Elephant Stone
10-12-2011, 02:50 PM
No one mentioned Wotherspoon yet? Much much better.

Good first touch but too much erratic passing.

Eaststand
11-12-2011, 09:19 PM

GGTTH

Good post, and I agree with what you've said about the game and those players.
I've never really rated Lewis since the League Cup Final but he did play really well yesterday and he's now got another chance to get a run in the team and become a regular....I hope he can keep his standards up and take the chance.

Michael Hart is a very very ordinary player and should be launched out of ER as soon as possible.

GGTTH

Jonnyboy
11-12-2011, 10:55 PM
I thought that another big positive was the reaction of the Hibs fans as the game unfolded. Under CC and latterly Yogi before him there was a growing tendency to collectively groan when things didn't quite work out for players as they intended. That led to a growing negativity and it transferred onto the park.

Against Motherwell for 45 minutes and the Huns for the whole game we could see that the team had and kept a recognisable shape and that although we were laboured at times it was obvious that the players were settling into the roles they'd been asked to play. Yes we had few efforts on goal but I'm struggling to remember any saves Stack had to make. He was beaten by two set piece goals and Hart must shoulder the majority of the blame for that. I was also encouraged by the fact that PF realised Hart was a weak link and replaced him.

In summary there were indeed things to be encouraged by. Yes, we lost but there were still plus points in the performance

TrickyNicky
11-12-2011, 10:58 PM
I have only watched the game on TV, twice, on a wide screen telly too, first time live at midnight, second time at 7am, so I will qualify myself as a long-distance ubertellyfan.

I thought we played well apart from the obvious Hart debacles.

We were playing the team that's top of the league and they are there for a reason, we are nearly bottom and there for a reason too.
There was no great divide between us, Hibs played smarter, with more intensity, players in the right positions and the correct formation, sure we needed another striker but where would we get it from?
We needed the extra man in midfield and we saw more of the ball because of it.

Fenlon has made massive changes in the short time he has been here and most importantly that includes getting more out of the players than Calderwood managed in his whole tenure.

We had shots at goal, we won corners, we passed more than twice, we only had one major bombscare player rather than the usual half-the-team!
We were unlucky against Rangers and to me that's positive because for the last year we've been just pysh !

basehibby
12-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Better ball retention? Where did you dream that up?
Higher intensity, possibly in the second half, but snails pace in 1st.
Created chances.....1 maybe 2? Whatever the number and it is low, it's far from acceptable,
We did defend better albeit against dross, that was obviously until that eejit Hart got involved in their two goals

:confused: That'll be the title holding dross that's currently top of the table then :confused:

Northernhibee
12-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Good post, and I agree with what you've said about the game and those players.
I've never really rated Lewis since the League Cup Final but he did play really well yesterday and he's now got another chance to get a run in the team and become a regular....I hope he can keep his standards up and take the chance.

Michael Hart is a very very ordinary player and should be launched out of ER as soon as possible.

GGTTH

I'd go as far as saying he's high end Scottish division 2 quality, I can't think of of a Div. 1 team where he'd get guarenteed football week in week out, no pace, and doesn't have the intelligence that Sauzee gained from experience.

TrickyNicky
12-12-2011, 01:55 AM
I thought that another big positive was the reaction of the Hibs fans as the game unfolded. Under CC and latterly Yogi before him there was a growing tendency to collectively groan when things didn't quite work out for players as they intended. That led to a growing negativity and it transferred onto the park.

Against Motherwell for 45 minutes and the Huns for the whole game we could see that the team had and kept a recognisable shape and that although we were laboured at times it was obvious that the players were settling into the roles they'd been asked to play. Yes we had few efforts on goal but I'm struggling to remember any saves Stack had to make. He was beaten by two set piece goals and Hart must shoulder the majority of the blame for that. I was also encouraged by the fact that PF realised Hart was a weak link and replaced him.

In summary there were indeed things to be encouraged by. Yes, we lost but there were still plus points in the performance

Agree with all of the above and have come to the conclusion that Hart must be working hard in training and have the right attitude as well as ticking all other boxes, otherwise he wouldn't merit his place in the starting line-up but he seems to crumble under any level of pressure at times, not only the honkin pass to the opposition just outside the box, when he was under a little pressure but then that complete miss of the ball as an opposing player pressed him ( he actually exercised perfect technique to simply pass a ball back but went over the ball, like one leg was shorter than the other ).
I think the positive for Hibs in regards to this is that Fenlon may never play him again, not so for Hart!

spike220
12-12-2011, 03:05 AM
This was a different team today, I liked what I saw and thought Rangers struggled with what we offered especially during some of the good passing passages of play. GoC was try to ceate something out of nothing and started looking for the ball rather than just keeping the defenders pinned back. He was given a thankless task in this match but he did okay. It has been a while since I heard Scottish commentary and I was a bit miffed by the huns bias and the continual references to our ‘nice stadium’ which was a poorly veiled insult. I don’t think I will bother listening to the commentary next time. Overall I thought rangers has little more to offer than our squad. I just can’t see what the huns are spending all their salaries on!!

I couldn’t believe how big McCoist looks, what has he done to himself?

Over all the performance was better than I expected it would be, in fact I felt quite good after the game which is strange given how much I dislike losing to these guys. I guess the thing was for me it was obvious how near we are to being competitive with the old firm.

Oh and that was a soft penalty, but a stupid mistake by Hart. The game had 0-0 written all over it up till then.

calumb
12-12-2011, 04:07 AM
This was a different team today, I liked what I saw and thought Rangers struggled with what we offered especially during some of the good passing passages of play. GoC was try to ceate something out of nothing and started looking for the ball rather than just keeping the defenders pinned back. He was given a thankless task in this match but he did okay. It has been a while since I heard Scottish commentary and I was a bit miffed by the huns bias and the continual references to our ‘nice stadium’ which was a poorly veiled insult. I don’t think I will bother listening to the commentary next time. Overall I thought rangers has little more to offer than our squad. I just can’t see what the huns are spending all their salaries on!!

I couldn’t believe how big McCoist looks, what has he done to himself?

Over all the performance was better than I expected it would be, in fact I felt quite good after the game which is strange given how much I dislike losing to these guys. I guess the thing was for me it was obvious how near we are to being competitive with the old firm.

Oh and that was a soft penalty, but a stupid mistake by Hart. The game had 0-0 written all over it up till then.

I agree with that, I thought it was one of Hibs best performances as a team in a long time and could not believe some of the negative comments on here.
To me Fenlon has made a massive difference to the team in only 3 weeks and reckon in 3 months time he will have us playing at a level we have long forgotten about down Easter Road way.

Eaststand
12-12-2011, 07:56 AM

Yep, you're right there JB, there is no doubt in my mind that after only a couple of weeks with PF in charge, there are things we should all be encouraged by, and although the Huns took the points, we did have some decent performances on Saturday.

Unfortunately Fenlon is having to work with what he inherited at the moment, but the January window isn't too far away...hopefully Sparky will settle down a bit and start to convert more of the chances he gets. The performances from Ossie, Stephens, Stevenson etc plus one or two new faces in to freshen up the team, it'll be a better second half to our season :flag:

GGTTH

happiehibbie
12-12-2011, 08:29 AM
For me that was the best i have seen from us in a while I think in PF (was not sure in the beginning) will turn it around we need to get the fire and desire into our game and i think PF and his team will do this.

guys we are going through open heart surgery at the moment a wee run of games gets us back in the Little Mix (like what i did there)

what is suprising is the crowd Hibernian FC need to do somthing NOW

HNA6
12-12-2011, 08:40 AM
For me that was the best i have seen from us in a while I think in PF (was not sure in the beginning) will turn it around we need to get the fire and desire into our game and i think PF and his team will do this.

guys we are going through open heart surgery at the moment a wee run of games gets us back in the Little Mix (like what i did there)

what is suprising is the crowd Hibernian FC need to do somthing NOWWhat did you do there ..?:rolleyes:

hibsbollah
12-12-2011, 09:17 AM
I'd go as far as saying he's high end Scottish division 2 quality, I can't think of of a Div. 1 team where he'd get guarenteed football week in week out, no pace, and doesn't have the intelligence that Sauzee gained from experience. Michael Hart and Franck Sauzee in the same sentence. Surely a world first :aok:

Eaststand
12-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Michael Hart and Franck Sauzee in the same sentence. Surely a world first :aok:

You're spot on H and I think some-one needs to apologise to Franck for that slur on his career, cos it's a bit like comparing Mount Everest with Arthurs Seat !!

Hart is a terrible excuse for a player, and although I was one of the Yogi brigade when he got the job , 'unfortunate' signings such as Michael Hart and EDG (plus one or two others) cost him dearly.

But that's in the past, and this post is about the positives, so I'd say that IMO, once Hart moves on to grace another club with his skills, we'll do better. We have some signs that a process of improvement has already started, so hopefully we move onwards and upwards eh

GGTTH

happiehibbie
12-12-2011, 10:06 AM
What did you do there ..?:rolleyes:

you missed the little mix point dont worry not funny :)

JimBHibees
12-12-2011, 10:09 AM
I have only watched the game on TV, twice, on a wide screen telly too, first time live at midnight, second time at 7am, so I will qualify myself as a long-distance ubertellyfan.

I thought we played well apart from the obvious Hart debacles.

We were playing the team that's top of the league and they are there for a reason, we are nearly bottom and there for a reason too.
There was no great divide between us, Hibs played smarter, with more intensity, players in the right positions and the correct formation, sure we needed another striker but where would we get it from?
We needed the extra man in midfield and we saw more of the ball because of it.

Fenlon has made massive changes in the short time he has been here and most importantly that includes getting more out of the players than Calderwood managed in his whole tenure.

We had shots at goal, we won corners, we passed more than twice, we only had one major bombscare player rather than the usual half-the-team!
We were unlucky against Rangers and to me that's positive because for the last year we've been just pysh !

Almost word for word my thoughts on Saturdays game.