PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Recommend a Hibs book? Gordon Smith: Prince of Wingers vs. Last Minute Reilly

Speedy
09-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Which one would you recommend for a 64 year old?

I'm thinking Reilly but I'm not sure. Are there any other Hibs books you'd recommend instead?

Just found the Pat Stanton book and 'Hibernian: From Joe Baker to Turnbull's Tornadoes'.

I'm thinking they are maybe more his era? I know he rates Joe Baker as the best player he's seen at easter road.

He's already read the Eddie Turnbull book so I'm not looking to get him that one.

cocopops1875
09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Paddy's book is a great gift as its his dream team so mentions all the great player he played with or watched at Hibs

Speedy
09-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Paddy's book is a great gift as its his dream team so mentions all the great player he played with or watched at Hibs

Cheers. I'm sort of leaning towards this one now.

Nakedmanoncrack
09-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Both the Reilly & Smith books are must haves in my opinion. Probably just sway towards the Gay Gordon's, written by his son so lots of personal detail.

Purple & Green
09-12-2011, 10:05 PM
I'd say the Gordon Smith book is the most beautifully crafted Hibs book that has ever been written. Ted Brack's books just get better and better and his Sauzee book is absolutely superb. The two recent books look good but I'm holding off for kindle versions.

Sammy7nil
09-12-2011, 11:14 PM
The Smith book is okay but reads a bit too much like a diary for me.
There is a lot of Music talk and is a book written by his son for his grand children.
It is fine but not great.

HibbyRod
09-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Seems like I'll be trawling for them both this Christmas!!!!! :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
10-12-2011, 06:31 AM
I'd say the Gordon Smith book is the most beautifully crafted Hibs book that has ever been written. Ted Brack's books just get better and better and his Sauzee book is absolutely superb. The two recent books look good but I'm holding off for kindle versions.

Sacrilege!!!!!! :greengrin Great believer in eBooks, had my Sony since way before the Kindles came out but some books just have to be real ones!!!!

gav71
10-12-2011, 09:21 AM
The Smith book is okay but reads a bit too much like a diary for me. There is a lot of Music talk and is a book written by his son for his grand children.It is fine but not great. Thought that prince of wingers has been. A great read as for the book being like a diary I felt that this gives you more insight into this legends life brill ggtthO

gav71
10-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Which one would you recommend for a 64 year old?I'm thinking Reilly but I'm not sure. Are there any other Hibs books you'd recommend instead?Just found the Pat Stanton book and 'Hibernian: From Joe Baker to Turnbull's Tornadoes'.I'm thinking they are maybe more his era? I know he rates Joe Baker as the best player he's seen at easter road.He's already read the Eddie Turnbull book so I'm not looking to get him that one. I bought prince of wingers for my dad who thought that it is the best hibs book he has read and at 75 he's done lots of that said that this book brought back so many hibby memories from childhood