PDA

View Full Version : League Cup Winners 1972

ANDY McGEECHAN
09-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Just looked at todays date and remembered it was on Dec 9th 1972 that we first won The League Cup.I was a 15 year old and the way my mate and I could get through to Hampden was on the Mayfield Celtic SC. Everything was fine and we sat up the back on the way through. But after King Paddy and Wee Jimmy had won us the cup we had to sit very very quiet up the front on the way home. The bus let us off at the Harrow Hotel Dalkeith, and after making sure it had started to move away ripped into Glory Glory to The Hibees and a few two fingered signs thrown in. Happy Days. Not being old enough for the pubs had to go home and tell my dad who was a famous five man that his team was crap because they had never won a cup and Hibs were gonna win The League this season as well. We did not quite win The League, but the following week we beat Ayr 8-1 and a couple of weeks after that was the 7-0 game. HAPPY DAYS INDEED.

Sherlock Jones
09-12-2011, 09:18 AM
So it wasn't all just some wonderful dream! :greengrin

I was at all of those games you mention plus some incredible European Nights. Talk about being spoiled rotten.

PeeJay
09-12-2011, 09:34 AM
I was a regular ER attendee back then and while I always look back on the TTs as the great team they were, it's a feeling tinged with tremendous disappointment, because we failed to live up to our true potential - one League Cup and a few Dryburgh Cups were not enough, not for that great team...

lapsedhibee
09-12-2011, 09:55 AM
I was a regular ER attendee back then and while I always look back on the TTs as the great team they were, it's a feeling tinged with tremendous disappointment, because we failed to live up to our true potential - one League Cup and a few Dryburgh Cups were not enough, not for that great team...

:agree: Unfortunate to coincide in time with Stein's Celtc, or 'twould have been more.

HIBEETILLIDIE
09-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Just looked at todays date and remembered it was on Dec 9th 1972 that we first won The League Cup.I was a 15 year old and the way my mate and I could get through to Hampden was on the Mayfield Celtic SC. Everything was fine and we sat up the back on the way through. But after King Paddy and Wee Jimmy had won us the cup we had to sit very very quiet up the front on the way home. The bus let us off at the Harrow Hotel Dalkeith, and after making sure it had started to move away ripped into Glory Glory to The Hibees and a few two fingered signs thrown in. Happy Days. Not being old enough for the pubs had to go home and tell my dad who was a famous five man that his team was crap because they had never won a cup and Hibs were gonna win The League this season as well. We did not quite win The League, but the following week we beat Ayr 8-1 and a couple of weeks after that was the 7-0 game. HAPPY DAYS INDEED.

Was all three of those games and the following game v East Fife when we won 1-0, top of the league soured by the John Brownlea leg break-league dream died that day as we were never the same down that right side, with no disrespect to Des Bremner who tried to fill Brownlea's boots.
John Brownlea was some player, better than McGrain, Jardine etc would have been a sensation for Scotland in 1974 world cup!

CentreLine
09-12-2011, 10:18 AM
On 9th December 1972 I was 13yrs of age and had been chosen by my school to take part in the half time penalty shoot-out at Tynecastle. I wore my Hibs strip and was pelted with coins. It was a miserable day but hahahahearts lost to Kilmarnock IIRC. I left after half time and then the day just got better. I searched around and finally saw the result from Hampden on the television in the window of Patrick Thomson's on North Bridge. Then hung around the North British Hotel for the cup coming home. The following week I took my place in the old main stand to enjoy the 8-1 thrashing of Ayr Utd and the cup was again displayed at half-time. The next week of course was the big one and I was in the old enclosure (Oh! its still there) at Tynecastle for the greatest game in history.

Those really were good times.

Then of course John Brownlie broke his ankle in the game against East Fife and Alec Edwards and Pat Stanton were given ridiculous suspensions by the SFA who somehow managed not to be so hard on OF players with worse disciplinary records, notably Jimmy Johnston and Alex MacDonald. Great days but they should have been so much better.

iwasthere1972
09-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Nearly 40 years ago. Where's the time gone?

Things are a bit sketchy (even though I was too young to drink) from that wonderful day as a 16 year old but I think me and the mates travelled through to Glasgow on the Pentland Bus which normally left from the White Hart in the Grassmarket. Remember the goals, fantastic Hibs support, Pat lifting the cup, travelling back to Edinburgh and waiting at the North British Hotel for the team to arrive.

A great day and a fantastic team that should have gone on to win the league that same season.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

poolman
09-12-2011, 11:16 AM
I was definitely going through to the game

Got whipped in to the Western the Thursday before the game for appendicitis :boo hoo:

h1bs4life
11-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Nearly 40 years ago.. time flies when you enjoy yourself supporting the cabbage.:scarf:
Was only 10 at the time 1st real memory of hampden , was at scottish cup final earlier in the year but can only really remember the size of the crowd 106, 000 at that one.
Miserable wet day at Hampden we were in the uncovered end , hibs scored both at the other end.
Brilliant at the final whistle grown men in tears.
Great days to grow up a Hibee , League Cup , Dryborough Cup wins , trips to Hampden on football special , 7 of us squeezed in to a Ford Anglia for the Dryborough Cup Final then back to standing outside the NB Hotel while the team showed off the cup from the balcony.
Just unfortunate that Celtic had a good team otherwise the Tornados would have won a lot more.