PDA

View Full Version : NHC Naismith would be part of team GB

Harpandcastle
08-12-2011, 08:40 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16100630.stm

Was always going to be some hundog interested I suppose. Hopefully reminded by supporters this is not a popular opinion. Never liked the little tart, would make watching Scotland all the easier if the is the end of his international career.

Scouse Hibee
08-12-2011, 08:43 PM
:aok: Welcome to team GB Stevie boy :greengrin

SteveHFC
08-12-2011, 08:45 PM
His Scotland Career should be finished. Prick :aok:

He can GTF!

Sas_The_Hibby
08-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Why would it be the end of his international career? :confused:

I understand the SFA's objections and those of the associations in Wales and Northern Ireland, though I don't agree personally that fielding a British team at the Olympics will affect the future existence of the four home nations within FIFA one way or another.

However, I think players should be left to decide for themselves whether they want to be considered or not, bearing in mind their own association's misgivings.

nonshinyfinish
08-12-2011, 08:53 PM

I understand the SFA's objections and those of the associations in Wales and Northern Ireland, though I don't agree personally that fielding a British team at the Olympics will affect the future existence of the four home nations within FIFA one way or another.

However, I think players should be left to decide for themselves whether they want to be considered or not, bearing in mind their own association's misgivings.

:agree:

Well said.

Kammy1875
08-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Fair play to Naismith.

Springbank
08-12-2011, 09:01 PM
He will burn in hell

Roll on the day we are free of these tiresome tedious UK prats

We are better than this

iwasthere1972
08-12-2011, 09:01 PM

:agree: I hope that Fletch follows suit. It would be extremely pleasing if he were to get a gold medal and send a pic to CL.

hibsbollah
08-12-2011, 09:03 PM
He will burn in hell

Oh dear.

Beefster
08-12-2011, 09:06 PM

This. It's mental to want players punished for wanting to play in the Olympics.

Folk whine about the SFA all the time but have swallowed their "we'll lose the national team" nonsense hook, line and sinker.

frazeHFC
08-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Naismith is a rodent.

Beefster
08-12-2011, 09:07 PM
He will burn in hell

We are better than this

When the wind dies down, you need to seek professional help by the sounds of it.

Antifa Hibs
08-12-2011, 09:09 PM
What more do you expect from a hun.

Anyone but great britian

LancashireHibby
08-12-2011, 09:11 PM
It was always going to be a Hun or a Jambo, wasn't it?

Cabbage East
08-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Surprise surprise. Hun mutant.

hibsbollah
08-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Anyone but great britian

Would you feel better if he competed for South Sudan? Guatemala?

If the boy feels 'British' he can compete for whoever he likes. I don't understand the righteous indignation.

GREEN WARLORD
08-12-2011, 09:27 PM
I never want a team GB, i certainly don't go along with the line that we would lose our national team. I don't want it because, it will just get rail roaded by the English, with a token Jock, token Taff and a token Northern Irishman in the team or maybe even 2 of them in the squad if we are lucky. The rest will be English with English coaching staff, yet since 1966 they have won the same amount of trophies as us, nil! Agree or disagree, i recon Scotland would give them a competitive gave any day of the week. You could argue that they have qualified for major tournaments recently but then you could argue that so would have Scotland , if they had been in the qualifying groups Engerland had been in. IT'S JUST A BIG FRONT FOR TEAM ENGLAND!!!!

Pretty Boy
08-12-2011, 09:27 PM

This.

Why should someone be denied a once in a lifetime opportunity just to appease some folks discomfort with being tagged British?

And before anyone asks no I'm not comfortable being called British because I'm not.

Pretty Boy
08-12-2011, 09:30 PM
I never want a team GB, i certainly don't go along with the line that we would lose our national team. I don't want it because, it will just get rail roaded by the English, with a token Jock, token Taff and a token Northern Irishman in the team or maybe even 2 of them in the squad if we are lucky. The rest will be English with English coaching staff, yet since 1966 they have won the same amount of trophies as us, nil! Agree or disagree, i recon Scotland would give them a competitive gave any day of the week. You could argue that they have qualified for major tournaments recently but then you could argue that so would have Scotland , if they had been in the qualifying groups Engerland had been in. IT'S JUST A BIG FRONT FOR TEAM ENGLAND!!!!

How could it be anything other than ab English coaching team when none of.the other nations want to be involved?

Should we have gone for Fergie even though he doesn't want any of his Man Utd players involved. Good plan that.

Sas_The_Hibby
08-12-2011, 09:31 PM

If the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish associations refuse to be involved, you can hardly blame England for taking over! :wink:

Hibercelona
08-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Don't see what the big deal is. If it's just an olympic thing, then I don't see why people are so bothered by it.

Naismith is still a fud though...

nonshinyfinish
08-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Would you feel better if he competed for South Sudan? Guatemala?

If the boy feels 'British' he can compete for whoever he likes. I don't understand the righteous indignation.

It's bizarre. So many people queuing up to tell others what they can and can't do.

Scouse Hibee
08-12-2011, 09:34 PM

Only if you play your English players :wink:

Sas_The_Hibby
08-12-2011, 09:41 PM

You could argue that, but it would be pretty difficult IMO.

England's recent form in qualifying (with the exception of Euro 2008) has been pretty respectable and very consistent, albeit against no more than average to good opposition. They've then generally gone on to perform very poorly in the finals themselves.

England aren't in the top tier of international sides, by any means, but it's hard to argue Scotland are on a par with them. That's no criticism, just a reflection of the fact that England's a bigger country with more resources.

GREEN WARLORD
08-12-2011, 09:48 PM
How could it be anything other than ab English coaching team when none of.the other nations want to be involved?

Should we have gone for Fergie even though he doesn't want any of his Man Utd players involved. Good plan that.

Fergie has bigger fish to fry, especially the way is club team are playing at the moment the last thing he needs is a team England (sorry GB) distraction.

GREEN WARLORD
08-12-2011, 09:50 PM
If the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish associations refuse to be involved, you can hardly blame England for taking over! :wink:

It is always going be team England, pretend otherwise if you like.

Hainan Hibs
08-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Should be the end of his Scotland career, probably not with Levein in charge, but at least he will be getting booed tae **** when he pulls on the dark blue.

On a more serious note it was published on the Rankers website and with the pantomime surrounding Aluko and his ban it could be a way of giving a two fingered salute to the SFA given their stance on the matter. I know footballers don't have the highest of IQ's but even Naismith must have known the backlash he might face from the Tartan Army!

johnrebus
09-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Should be the end of his Scotland career, probably not with Levein in charge, but at least he will be getting booed tae **** when he pulls on the dark blue.

On a more serious note it was published on the Rankers website and with the pantomime surrounding Aluko and his ban it could be a way of giving a two fingered salute to the SFA given their stance on the matter. I know footballers don't have the highest of IQ's but even Naismith must have known the backlash he might face from the Tartan Army!

Maybe it would be better just to have a GB team anyway.

At least we would be rid of Levein......,

lucky
09-12-2011, 07:52 AM
He will burn in hell

We are better than this

Better than what? You telling me you won't be cheering on British athletes at the games? If this is the new Scotland then thanks. Being anti England is not the same as being pro Scotland

O'Rourke3
09-12-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm not anti Olympics but it will be the writing on the wall for the Scotland National Team. The rest of FIFA will use this as a way to get into the UK's "protected" status by inventing the game (well, coming up with the basic rules). Timing couldn't be better either as many fans no longer follow Scotland because we have become 3rd class as competitors.

Geo_1875
09-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Couldn't care less about Naismith and Team GB. He'll withdraw from the squad injured anyway.

marinello59
09-12-2011, 08:09 AM
He will burn in hell

We are better than this

A bit OTT, no?
It's up to the player what he does. Whether you like it or not a very high percentage of Scots are comfortable with being British. Should they all burn in hell?

marinello59
09-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Couldn't care less about Naismith and Team GB. He'll withdraw from the squad injured anyway.

:greengrin Good point.

Hibernia Na Eir
09-12-2011, 08:13 AM
oh! what a surprise!!! lapdog hun.
but he cannae play cause he's got a dull one ha bloody ha
team GB?
not in my name.

Tha Cabbage Kid
09-12-2011, 08:34 AM
I am not anti English or anything like that. i will be hoping that do well in the EURO's but when it come to GB im not a fan.

Anything GB is classed as English in other countries and therefore i dont like it. im happy at there being an english team and a scottish team but not together as we are in my eyes different countries.

I live in poland and the general point of view is that most things that are happening in scotland or english are refered to being english.

i.e. golf, is an english sport. etc

I want things that are scottish to be scottish and others to be others.

sambajustice
09-12-2011, 08:49 AM
The thing with the Olympics football though, isnt it an U-23 squad with 3 or 4 "overage" players??

They are not going to waste one of the overage player slots on that bawbag! He shouldnt even get a game for Scotland, he's dreadful for Scotland. I'll admit Rangers have looked a poorer team for missing him but any time i've seen him play for Scotland he's been murder!!

Lets be honest though, are many of U-23 Scots going to get into the team??

A possible team could be,

Hart
Richards Smalling Jones Hanlon :wink:
Oxlade-Chamberlain Wilshere Ramsey Bale
Sturridge Walcott

I have very limited knowledge of young english/welsh players outside of the top 4 or 5 teams so there's probably a rake of good players at your Boltons, Fulhams, Villa's etc etc.

I dont know if any of the english players who will play in the olympic team will have played at the Euros, there's a couple up there who have a good chance of making the english squad. I would also imagine that the "wildcard" players would be players not competing at the Euros next year and/or have a bit of showbiz pull...

Beckham
Bellamy
Giggs
Any surprise omissions from the england squad!

JeMeSouviens
09-12-2011, 10:04 AM
If people want to guarantee the future of the Scotland team forever then there's a simple way to do it, in fact, there's a referendum coming up ... :offski:

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm not anti Olympics but it will be the writing on the wall for the Scotland National Team. The rest of FIFA will use this as a way to get into the UK's "protected" status by inventing the game (well, coming up with the basic rules). Timing couldn't be better either as many fans no longer follow Scotland because we have become 3rd class as competitors.

Please explain how you know this will happen, when FIFA have already said it wont?:confused:

JeMeSouviens
09-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Please explain how you know this will happen, when FIFA have already said it wont?:confused:

Nobody at FIFA can make any guarantees. If a member of their general committee brings it up and it gets voted through, it'll happen. Blatter could probably give you a price for your desired outcome right enough. :rolleyes:

GreenCastle
09-12-2011, 10:18 AM
1 - he's always injured and probably won't be fit

2 - he's not good enough to play for GB - majority of the players will be English - especially with Pearce being the coach.

3 - he's over 23 - you are only allowed 3 over age players - Beckham being one probably - you can't see them picking Naismith out of all the rest of players in the UK ?!!! :confused:

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Nobody at FIFA can make any guarantees. If a member of their general committee brings it up and it gets voted through, it'll happen. Blatter could probably give you a price for your desired outcome right enough. :rolleyes:

That could happen at any time, never mind an olympic year. England do not want to be anything other than England football team, as do the other home nations. And if you think playing as part of a GB team in the Olympics would start this happening, do you think they would be part of it?

Its a red herring put about by those who oppose this GB team imo. I'm not for it, but i wont worry my erse if it does happen.

SlickShoes
09-12-2011, 10:38 AM
I love the assumption that the English want a GB team. No one wants a GB team.

Olympic wise any player that gets picked and wants to play should do it.

Telling a sportsman of any discipline to "burn in hell" for playing a SPORT is beyond comprehension.

Some people on here need to take a long hard look at themselves.

O'Rourke3
09-12-2011, 10:42 AM

I can't guarantee it. I know the 4 reserved seats for the GB & NI Teams rankles everyone else. I would not put any store in any promise from FIFA over anything. The current president or secretary says something won't happen and then it does, what recourse does anyone have when his mind is changed. Team GB is inevitable, Team GB competing in an Olympics makes it sooner rather than later I think. Naismith however would be better off in the diving team, more chance of success.

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Telling a sportsman of any discipline to "burn in hell" for playing a SPORT is beyond comprehension.

H18sry
09-12-2011, 10:48 AM

What are you basing your assumptions on? The Scotland Supporters Club is full and there is a waiting list on vacancies :rolleyes:

Part/Time Supporter
09-12-2011, 11:00 AM

The BOA want one, for £££ (shirts and ticket sales next year)

It makes no odds to the FA really, a permanent Team GB would play in white shirts, at Wembley, have GSTQ as anthem and they would be the governing body. Only significant difference is they would have a bit better chance of winning tournaments with more players to pick from.

JeMeSouviens
09-12-2011, 11:00 AM
That could happen at any time, never mind an olympic year. England do not want to be anything other than England football team, as do the other home nations. And if you think playing as part of a GB team in the Olympics would start this happening, do you think they would be part of it?

Its a red herring put about by those who oppose this GB team imo. I'm not for it, but i wont worry my erse if it does happen.

I don't think it's as big a deal for England as the rest. England is close enough to synonymous with GB for most of them. I agree it could happen at any time but a GB olympic team is going to draw a fair bit of attention to the subject.

tbh though, I kind of agree with the countries that don't like us having the privilege of 4 teams. If we're not a real country, do we deserve a real football team?

Ritchie
09-12-2011, 11:17 AM
i dont blame him!!

if i was in his position and had the opportunity to play for team GB i would jump at the chance.

taking part in an olympic games is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

especially for a scottish internation who probably wont get many chances of competeing at top internation competitions (World Cup & Euros)

i have no problem with a team GB.... doesnt bother me in the slightest.

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2011, 11:29 AM
The BOA want one, for £££ (shirts and ticket sales next year)

It makes no odds to the FA really, a permanent Team GB would play in white shirts, at Wembley, have GSTQ as anthem and they would be the governing body. Only significant difference is they would have a bit better chance of winning tournaments with more players to pick from.

I dont know what the FA think apart from what they tell us, and that is they dont want a GB team instead of England Scotland Ireland and Wales teams. They the FA want no part of it.

What i do know from talking to my friends here in Blackpool, is they wouldn't watch a GB team. They are very much like us in terms of wanting their football team England to stay just as it is.

As much as we the scots like to think we are the most passionate support in the world, i can tell you, the English are just as against this as we are, or the Welsh.

Franck is God
09-12-2011, 01:07 PM
It's nice that he wants to be involved but that doesn't mean he'll get picked, I was at the last two games at Hampden and he was rubbish, would get nowhere near a British eleven. It is an under 23 tournament anyway, not sure how old he is but would he even be eligible to play?

I have no issue with a team GB at the Olympics next year and will definitely be right behind them, not quite sure why everyone is so concerned with this, FIFA/EUFA may want our four FA's to merge but that doesn't mean it will happen any time soon. I think if the Faroes, San Marino, Luxemburg etc continue to have a right to a membership within FIFA then Scotland are pretty safe and a few of our best young players being involved in an Olympic tournament is unlikely to affect it in any way.

O'Rourke3
09-12-2011, 01:42 PM
What are you basing your assumptions on? The Scotland Supporters Club is full and there is a waiting list on vacancies :rolleyes:

The struggle to fill Hampden Park ... The inability to qualify plus the dreadful football and a real lack of depth in the squad is having and impact on attendances. I'm not one who is stopping following BW, just observing.

Folks know going to away games is the way to get points for tickets in the event of a qualification - so that's not surprising.

calumb
09-12-2011, 01:51 PM
The english media would have been desperate to find a couple of Scots to come out in support for team GB to give some sort of credibility to the whole thing. They found one in Jamie Mackie, who is about as Scottish as the queen so the next obvious port of call was to go sniffing around hunbrox where eventually they would find some muppet desperate enough for publicity to come out and agree with it, Naismith was just the tube that did.
The really sad thing about it is, unlike the 2 Welsh boys who could make the squad, these 2 clowns are nowhere near good enough but the media can still say that Scots were interested in playing and were only prevented by the small minded SFA or even worse will be dragged along as some publicity show.

Paisley Hibby
09-12-2011, 01:53 PM
The Scotsman makes the point that Naismith's views on this were published on the Rangers website just after the SFA announced it's decision on Aluko. Wonder if they would have been posted if Rangers had got their way with that?

H18sry
09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
BBCAlLamont Alasdair Lamont #Celtic winger James Forrest declares himself interested in representing Team GB at London 2012

Another one :confused:

Part/Time Supporter
09-12-2011, 01:57 PM
It's nice that he wants to be involved but that doesn't mean he'll get picked, I was at the last two games at Hampden and he was rubbish, would get nowhere near a British eleven. It is an under 23 tournament anyway, not sure how old he is but would he even be eligible to play?

I have no issue with a team GB at the Olympics next year and will definitely be right behind them, not quite sure why everyone is so concerned with this, FIFA/EUFA may want our four FA's to merge but that doesn't mean it will happen any time soon. I think if the Faroes, San Marino, Luxemburg etc continue to have a right to a membership within FIFA then Scotland are pretty safe and a few of our best young players being involved in an Olympic tournament is unlikely to affect it in any way.

San Marino and Luxembourg are independent states.

Faroe Islands is quasi-independent (somewhat like a crown dependency).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigsf%C3%A6llesskabet

Pretty Boy
BBCAlLamont Alasdair Lamont #Celtic winger James Forrest declares himself interested in representing Team GB at London 2012

That should go down well with the open minded types in ra sellick support.

JimBHibees

I am not so sure David Will when in one of the head Fifa jobs clearly told the SFA not to get involved in this as tehre were many countries against the UK having 4 teams. Also the Head of Northern Ireland FA indicated that Blatter had told him off the record that there was a real threat of this happening. Why take the risk?

Scouse Hibee
09-12-2011, 02:05 PM

Good lad, another welcome addition to team GB. Really can't wait for the Olympics.

pentlando
09-12-2011, 02:14 PM
It will wrench my gut if I see any Scottish player standing in that line-up whilst God Save The Queen plays. Imagine how galling it must be to win a medal at the Olympics and not be able to hear O Flower of Scotland. How England can take it upon themselves to run a side in the name of Great Britain without the consent of the other 3 governing bodies is beyond me. If England, Wales and N. Ireland had opposed this do we think Scotland would have been able to from a team in the name of Great Britain? Somehow i doubt it. It's up to individual players to make their minds up on this, part of me feels that if Scotland were making big tournaments regularly the queue would be a lot shorter. Seems as though players are using this as an opportunity to play at a big tournament because they feel Scotland won't make one soon. Changed days, patriotism isn't what it used to be.

LancashireHibby
09-12-2011, 02:17 PM
It will wrench my gut if I see any Scottish player standing in that line-up whilst God Save The Queen plays. Imagine how galling it must be to win a medal at the Olympics and not be able to hear O Flower of Scotland. How England can take it upon themselves to run a side in the name of Great Britain without the consent of the other 3 governing bodies is beyond me. If England, Wales and N. Ireland had opposed this do we think Scotland would have been able to from a team in the name of Great Britain? Somehow i doubt it. It's up to individual players to make their minds up on this, part of me feels that if Scotland were making big tournaments regularly the queue would be a lot shorter. Seems as though players are using this as an opportunity to play at a big tournament because they feel Scotland won't make one soon. Changed days, patriotism isn't what it used to be.

England haven't taken it upon themselves - the British Olympic Association entered a team as 'Great Britain' to play in the football tournament and, as the SFA, FAW and IFA didn't want to play ball then the BOA didn't have much choice of who else to consult, did they?

No great feelings either way other than I'd want the Home Nations to retain their FIFA membership, but I think a little too much is played on the 'English bias' when in reality the FA are the only ones who have gone along with the Team GB idea, and even then only Bale and Ramsay are the only current players who could honestly say they'd be first choice players in their position.

--------
09-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I am not so sure David Will when in one of the head Fifa jobs clearly told the SFA not to get involved in this as tehre were many countries against the UK having 4 teams. Also the Head of Northern Ireland FA indicated that Blatter had told him off the record that there was a real threat of this happening. Why take the risk?

Yes. This has been on the agenda in and around FIFA for years.

Many people see the Home Nations as no more than 'England' having four teams in the Euros and World Cup - four bites at the cherry, so to speak.

The SFA, IFA and IFAW are absolutely right to want to keep out of this tournament - 'Team GB' will be seen as 'England' in most parts of the world and I would expect moves after the London Olympics to reduce the UK's representation in European and World Championships to one team.

I see no reason to sacrifice the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish football teams on the altar of an Olympic tournament taking place entirely within England and almost entirely for the benefit of London and the South-Eastern counties of England.

The SFA should make it clear that any Scottish player involving himself in 'Team GB' against their advice risks being overlooked for selection to all Scottish representative teams in the future.

marinello59
09-12-2011, 02:22 PM

No different from any other sport I would imagine. Chris Hoy, Allan Wells etc all seemed delighted to win Olympic titles under the British banner and they got plenty of support from their fellow Scots when they did so. I would argue that fitba shouldn't be in the Olympics in the first place but it is so it's fair game to any individuals who want to take part.

pentlando
09-12-2011, 02:36 PM
England haven't taken it upon themselves - the British Olympic Association entered a team as 'Great Britain' to play in the football tournament and, as the SFA, FAW and IFA didn't want to play ball then the BOA didn't have much choice of who else to consult, did they?

No great feelings either way other than I'd want the Home Nations to retain their FIFA membership, but I think a little too much is played on the 'English bias' when in reality the FA are the only ones who have gone along with the Team GB idea, and even then only Bale and Ramsay are the only current players who could honestly say they'd be first choice players in their position.

Was more making the point that if it was the other way around, and the SFA were the only of the Associations to want to participate, it would not be going ahead as it is. Baffles me that a team can claim to represent Great Britain at football when 3/4's of the Union are against it. Can you imagine the SPL wanted to enter a team into Champions League, and only 3 of the 12 teams expressed an interest in it, but that was enough to allow it to happen.

pentlando
09-12-2011, 02:39 PM
No different from any other sport I would imagine. Chris Hoy, Allan Wells etc all seemed delighted to win Olympic titles under the British banner and they got plenty of support from their fellow Scots when they did so. I would argue that fitba shouldn't be in the Olympics in the first place but it is so it's fair game to any individuals who want to take part.

Yeah i know, i meant it generically. That's the problem being a Scottish athlete, you can only compete in major tournaments under the banner of GB. We're lucky that in football we have the platform to represent Scotland, and why someone would want to potentially put that in jeopardy is beyond me.

--------
09-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah i know, i meant it generically. That's the problem being a Scottish athlete, you can only compete in major tournaments under the banner of GB. We're lucky that in football we have the platform to represent Scotland, and why someone would want to potentially put that in jeopardy is beyond me.

Exactly. There are so few stages upon which Scotland can appear in world sports as Scotland.

Sir David Gray
09-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Rightly or wrongly, football is currently an Olympic sport.

Team GB enters athletes into practically every other sport at the Olympics so I don't see why football should be any different.

Of course the team will be comprised of mainly English players. England has the best team out of the four home nations so I wouldn't expect it to be any different.

If the likes of Steven Naismith happens to be called up to play in the Olympic side then I personally don't see the problem. The SFA would be totally out of order to impose a ban on any Scottish player playing in future Scotland internationals, just because they've participated at the Olympics.

Whilst I really don't see FIFA getting rid of the individual home nations' football teams, I can understand why other nations think that they should be broken up and replaced by a UK side. There aren't many football teams representing countries which aren't independent, sovereign states.

If players from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland get called up for Team GB, they should be allowed to compete without any restrictions from anyone else.

lyonhibs
09-12-2011, 03:42 PM
The number of folk on a comic "high horse" about this topic is hilarious.

FWIW, I think Naismith is a diving Hun rat, but if he wants to play in one tournament representing Great Britain, then I fail to see why that should de facto end his Scotland career.

SteveHFC
09-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Forrest wants to play for Team GB according to Radio Scotland. GTF :aok:

Sir David Gray
09-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Forrest wants to play for Team GB according to Radio Scotland. GTF :aok:

That should go down well with the Green Brigade...:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
09-12-2011, 04:54 PM
The truth of the matter is that football might be an Olympic sport, but its being used for an obvious political agenda here. In a footballing sense, the idea of Naismith or any Scottish player being selected for Team GB, is as ludicrous as Beckham captaining it.

Bale and Ramsay are probably the only non-English players who would get anywhere near the squad on merit.

It's offensive and patronising.

Given Naismith's injury status, it's highly likely that his contention is a purely political move to curry favour with Unionist Huns. If he thinks he's seriously in the frame he's deluded, but given a circus of this calibre that considers Sir David for captain, then anything goes.

marinello59
09-12-2011, 05:02 PM
The truth of the matter is that football might be an Olympic sport, but its being used for an obvious political agenda here. In a footballing sense, the idea of Naismith or any Scottish player being selected for Team GB, is as ludicrous as Beckham captaining it.

Bale and Ramsay are probably the only non-English players who would get anywhere near the squad on merit.

It's offensive and patronising.

Given Naismith's injury status, it's highly likely that his contention is a purely political move to curry favour with Unionist Huns. If he thinks he's seriously in the frame he's deluded, but given a circus of this calibre that considers Sir David for captain, then anything goes.

I think it is purely down to finance. That odiuous **** Coe hopes the football tournament packs stadiums out and makes some much needed dosh because when this is all over it won't just be us whinging jocks questioning how much it all cost and what the ''legacy'' actually is.

Malthibby
09-12-2011, 05:50 PM
GTF I say from my high horse.
If FIFA get an opportunity to drop the four nations they will.
The Olympic team will be Engerland with a couple on non-English as window dressing.
Bar any Scot taking part from ever appearing in the dark blue again.
Talk about turkeys voting for Xmas..........

Dashing Bob S
09-12-2011, 06:10 PM
GTF I say from my high horse.
If FIFA get an opportunity to drop the four nations they will.
The Olympic team will be Engerland with a couple on non-English as window dressing.
Bar any Scot taking part from ever appearing in the dark blue again.
Talk about turkeys voting for Xmas..........

I just say 'nay' from my high horse. Or maybe that was the high horse talking.

Eyrie
09-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I can't guarantee it. I know the 4 reserved seats for the GB & NI Teams rankles everyone else. I would not put any store in any promise from FIFA over anything. The current president or secretary says something won't happen and then it does, what recourse does anyone have when his mind is changed. Team GB is inevitable, Team GB competing in an Olympics makes it sooner rather than later I think. Naismith however would be better off in the diving team, more chance of success.
The problem is not with the four teams, but with the UK having four of the eight seats on the rules body IFAB and with the UK having an automatic vice-president. Anyone willing to defend that?

we're not a real country, do we not deserve a real football team?
Fixed it for you :aok: Just got to get rid of Levein and find some decent players now.

I don't think the BOA had any choice in the matter either. Normally the UK doesn't enter a football team but for London 2012 it has no choice as the host nation.

I have as much interest in Team GB as I do in the Scottish national team, ie none.

greenginger
09-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Has anyone in the English Media ever mentioned that Team G B. at the Olympics leading to Team G B for all football would mean an end to
" 3 Lions on our Shirt " , Wembley the Home of Football, When " WE " won the world cup in '66 etc.
They are almost Yam like in their failure to consider the consequences of ill - thought projects.