PDA

View Full Version : Weird Memories following Hibs

Stanton
08-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I remember exiting Cappielow one cold Wednesday night around 1977 ( approx ) on the wrong end of a 3 - 0 :rolleyes: against Morton. I was around 13 or 14 at the time and an older Morton fan reached out and grabbed at my scarf making a comment at the same time :confused:.....while I was still figuring out what was going on ....3 older Hibby's walking behind me came steaming in from behind me throwing haymakers at the by now shattered and ****ting his pants Morton fan ....it was all over before I knew it had begun :greengrin Hee Hee

Jonnyboy
08-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I remember exiting Cappielow one cold Wednesday night around 1977 ( approx ) on the wrong end of a 3 - 0 :rolleyes: against Morton. I was around 13 or 14 at the time and an older Morton fan reached out and grabbed at my scarf making a comment at the same time :confused:.....while I was still figuring out what was going on ....3 older Hibby's walking behind me came steaming in from behind me throwing haymakers at the by now shattered and ****ting his pants Morton fan ....it was all over before I knew it had begun :greengrin Hee Hee

It was 18th April 1979 and no, I wasn't one of the three Hibs fans :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
08-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Being asked in a pub in 1990 on only my second visit to Edinburgh why the **** a Liverpool supporter had decided to follow Hibs! Genuinely convinced the guy that I thought there was only one team in Edinburgh and let him slaver on trying to convince me that there was two and that I should go along to watch Hearts.

beensaidbefore
08-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Not my memory, but my brothers.

He lost his ticket on the way the the Ayr Utd semi at hampden mid-week,so paid the turnstile guy £20 cash to get in. Walked up the stairs and realised hed paid to get into the Ayr end and went in a turnstyle 2 or 3 down from the hibs ones. Sat thinking what to do for a few minutes cos he could see his mates, and he decided to jump the barrier and ran into the hibs supporters and took a seat. Was obviously spotted and promptly ejected. Went back to the same turnstyle and said let me again in or i'll grass you let me in the first time, took another seat in the Ayr end, and was spotted by the same steward that chucked him out, who did so again. So by this time is was second half, so he waited til the exits opend and caught the last 15 from the hibs end.

Sounds like fiction, but you dont know my brother!

Sas_The_Hibby
08-12-2011, 09:28 PM
It's all been weird!

"Regrets, I've had a few,
But then again too many to mention......"

ALF TUPPER
08-12-2011, 09:37 PM
About 40 years ago....... Love Street Paisley.

I was walking towards the ground with my brothers and this absolute monster of a Hibs supporter, .( this guy was ****in' huge) emerged from a tenement. He had blood on his knuckles. He comments .......

"That'll teach him to mess wi a Hibby"

His friends stood back and nodded in silent admiration then carried on their way to the game.

Moments later this equally huge saints fan stumbles out of the tenement and takes a flier over a hedge.

Often wondered who this giant haystack of a Hibby was. I dont think i've seen him since. He's gone down in folklore in our family.

Was really funny at the time. But, of course i'm all grown up now and dont find this kind of conduct amusing at all :greengrin

Thecat23
08-12-2011, 09:59 PM
The night we pumped Livvi 7-0 i walked into the ground and said to my mate I have a feeling that Hibs will hammer Livvi tonight. I stuck £10 on Hibs to win 5-0 and it was 48/1

I have never not cheered a Hibs goal in my life but that night, as the 6th flew in all my mates jumped on me in fits of laughter while i sat with my head in my hands. I went nuts for the 7th tho :greengrin

Also i remember a reserve game mid week that I took my nephew too. He went to the toilet in the old main stand, there was an inch of p**s and S**t on the floor and he was running as fast as his chubby frame could go and went head first into the the lot while sliding 10ft across the floor. Can't mind the last time i laughed that hard. He was honking and we made him sit on his own even though he was only 7.

iwasthere1972
08-12-2011, 10:28 PM
T'was November 1984 if my memory serves me well. I had been living in Guernsey since 1976 and be truthful hadn't been to Easter Road too many times since then, maybe once a year when I used to come up to Edinburgh to visit family. Anyway Hibs were playing Dundee United that day at Easter Road so I decided to take in the game. Went for the usual pre-match bevvy and took my place in the queue at the Dunbar End. There were obviously a fair few Dundee United supporters in same queue but this was, as far I was aware, before segregation. Got through the turnstile and walked up the incline and got the shock of my life when I discovered that I was stuck in the Dunbar End as it was fenced off from the east stand. You've guessed correctly. I was the only Hibs supporter in that end which was full of Arabs. It made for a very unpleasant 90 minutes. It finished 0-0 which was probably a blessing in disguise as I was daft enough in those days and would have celebrated a Hibs goal if there had been one.

Hibercelona
08-12-2011, 10:33 PM
The night we pumped Livvi 7-0 i walked into the ground and said to my mate I have a feeling that Hibs will hammer Livvi tonight. I stuck £10 on Hibs to win 5-0 and it was 48/1

I have never not cheered a Hibs goal in my life but that night, as the 6th flew in all my mates jumped on me in fits of laughter while i sat with my head in my hands. I went nuts for the 7th tho :greengrin

Also i remember a reserve game mid week that I took my nephew too. He went to the toilet in the old main stand, there was an inch of p**s and S**t on the floor and he was running as fast as his chubby frame could go and went head first into the the lot while sliding 10ft across the floor. Can't mind the last time i laughed that hard. He was honking and we made him sit on his own even though he was only 7.

My old man done the same thing, but it was 6-0 he fired on! :tee hee:

iwasthere1972
08-12-2011, 10:40 PM
My old man done the same thing, but it was 6-0 he fired on! :tee hee:

Yes but you have to credit the Livvy fans that night. We were 7-0 and they were singing :singing: Easy, Easy :singing: :hilarious

Hibercelona
08-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Yes but you have to credit the Livvy fans that night. We were 7-0 and they were singing :singing: Easy, Easy :singing: :hilarious

They were probably singing that at the game when they humped us out of the cup. :boo hoo:

O'Rourke3
09-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Away to Falkirk at Brockville in tha late 80s. My mate had been on telly on Superscot and adding "Watching Hibs" to his list of hobbies. Walk into a bar near the ground and the barman shouts at him, "Weren't you on the telly?" "Aye!" he says thinking he's going to asked for an autograph.... "Take yer scarf off, nae colours in the pub" TBF We both p!shed ourselves :thumbsup:

1two
09-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Hamilton a few years ago, don't remember the exact year but Clayton Donaldson was playing and scored a pen IIRC.
Anyway the pie stands are down at pitch level and you have to walk back up the stairs to the seating area. Well before kick off when the warm up was going on, the hibs players were firing balls at the goal and just as my mate was walking back up the stair looking forward to his pie a ball skelpt his hand and sent his pie flying about 3 rows into the stand. Then I turned around to watch my other mate spit a mouthful of juice out laughing at him.
A daft wee moment but we still talk about it on the way to away games.

Pretty Boy
09-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Away to Clydebank at Boghead in the 1st division. Think we got beat 2-0. Anyway Clydebank scored and next thing I know these 2 Hibs fans next to me burst into ABBA songs and keep it up until the final whistle. No idea what was going on.

fat freddy
09-12-2011, 10:28 AM
pre season friendly tourney in inverness 1978...the bus was due to leave for the 7 hour return trip to edinburgh at midnight (the A9 was a tractor track back then)...some of the older guys had a fall out with some locals and on departure the locals took their revenge by smashing the bus windows in...the next 7 hours were the coldest in recorded history and to make matters worse i had to walk from leith to portobello when we got back home as the LRT buses didn't start running till later on a sunday back then....on the bright side hibs beat dundee to win the tourney and we ran onto the pitch and lifted jackie macnamara in the air and carried him around the pitch as he held the trophey aloft...

heretoday
09-12-2011, 10:50 AM
My pal got hit on the back of the head by a greasy pie thrown from the back of the terrace at Brockville Falkirk.

His face went a very WEIRD colour as the unsavoury contents of said pie slid down the back of his neck.

Andy74
09-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Turning up at Pittodrie stinking of baby oil. Strippers on the IEC bus for long distance away games. Those were the days.

iwasthere1972
09-12-2011, 11:17 AM
East terracing 1983 or thereabouts. Stood in a long queue waiting to get pies for me and my brother only to be told after waiting for about 15 minutes that they only sold match programmes and that the pie stall was further along the terracing. :doh: :greengrin

Peevemor
09-12-2011, 12:12 PM
At Methil for THAT Scottish Cup tie. There was a big Hibs support through that night (it was going to be our year - again...) and the queues outside the ground were a nightmare. We unwittingly ended up in the wrong end.

Play was stopped to allow a player to be treated and a a few fans spilled over the wall onto the pitch. We took the opportunity to jump over the wall and ran up the touchline, past quite a few policeman and a confused looking linesman and got into the away end. It was like slow motion and I was just waiting to get nabbed, but nobody seemed to care.

Bizarre!

Killiehibbie
09-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Getting lost in Liege about 2am and walking for hours trying to find train station. I found it about 7.30 only it was in a different town, Uns I think it was called. I always wondered what happened to the 2 Hibbies from the Inch that had been in the pub but found out that they got home safely.

NeilOrrSquareBa
09-12-2011, 12:54 PM
T'was November 1984 if my memory serves me well. There were obviously a fair few Dundee United supporters in same queue but this was, as far I was aware, before segregation. Got through the turnstile and walked up the incline and got the shock of my life when I discovered that I was stuck in the Dunbar End as it was fenced off from the east stand. You've guessed correctly. I was the only Hibs supporter in that end which was full of Arabs.

My memory is only linked to this post by the fact the same teams were involved.
About 1974/75 support at ER was sporradic but Dundee Utd always came to town with the same ginger heided fan. His hair was huge! A big ginger bouffant. Anyway one game some hibbys stood behind him and about mid way through the 1st half this guy statrted doing the Mexican hat dance.......the Hibbys had only gone and set his hair alight. Laugh I nearly gave birth!!

Of course I'm older now, more mature and recognise the danger and sadism involved in the act these Hibbys perpetrated. But when I read about the sheep on the train.....twins!

andudare2
09-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Turning up at Pittodrie stinking of baby oil. Strippers on the IEC bus for long distance away games. Those were the days.strippers were 2 nurses from kirkaldy hospital, both hibbies as well, remember those days, even though now in my dotage:greengrin

MSK
09-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Many years ago when we played East fife in a Scottish cup tie in Methil we saw loads o fans scrambling through a gap in billboards beside the ground, me & my bro followed suit thinking we had skived into the ground ....only to find out we had skived into a piece o wasteland ....:embarrass

Andy74
09-12-2011, 04:38 PM
....only to find out we had skived into a piece o wasteland ....:embarrass

Aye. Fife.

darwenhibby
09-12-2011, 04:38 PM
The countless times the Lancashire Hibs bus used to break down spoiling a good day out.
Some how I always got the blame:confused:

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2011, 04:41 PM
The countless times the Lancashire Hibs bus used to break down spoiling a good day out.
Some how I always got the blame:confused:

Thats because you WERE to blame, every bloody time. :greengrin Do you have a record of just how many times this did happen?

Christ the plane even broke down on our way to Dusseldorf with you arranging things. :faf:

LancashireHibby
09-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Christ the plane even broke down on our way to Dusseldorf with you arranging things. :faf:

Duane mentioned that story to me on the train back from the Aberdeen game this season, I completely agree that he must have been to blame somewhere along the line :greengrin

Aldo
09-12-2011, 04:47 PM
The laughs and the tons of beer on the Independant East Coast bus. Didnt realise at time but Met Des Dan aka J on bus and didn't meet up with him again till Jan last year.

Mental time mid to late 80's on that bus. Just a young lad but what a hoot.

As for games too many to mention TBH but standing in the away end at the PBS when Kano and Archie scored... Pishing with rain. Remember a bottle if thunderbirds doing the rounds. I was blottered for days.

darwenhibby
09-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Duane mentioned that story to me on the train back from the Aberdeen game this season, I completely agree that he must have been to blame somewhere along the line :greengrin

Aberdeen @ER 1990

Skol Cup Final 1991

AEK Athens 2001

Dortmund 2003

League Cup Final 2004

Train to DU game Nov 2007

Perhaps there was one or two times it didn't quite go to plan.:wink:

Leaving Moray in Glasgow after semi v Livingston:faf:

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Aberdeen @ER 1990

Skol Cup Final 1991

AEK Athens 2001

Dortmund 2003

League Cup Final 2004

Train to DU game Nov 2007

Perhaps there was one or two times it didn't quite go to plan.:wink:

Leaving Moray in Glasgow after semi v Livingston:faf:

Have you smashed any mirrors Duane? :greengrin

ronaldo7
09-12-2011, 06:42 PM
On our way to Liege to watch the Hibees, we had driven down to Dover to get the early ferry across the channel. Our car was the first onto the ferry. We met a wee guy from danderchook who'd been given two 40lts of vodka from his boss to hand out on the way to the game. Needless to say we had a few, but the driver stayed on the juice. On our way off the ferry the co-pilot was that pashed, we ended up with a long line of traffic following us out of the ferry terminal in a Dad's army stylee. Winding round and round in circles.

We enventually got stuck in traffic in Brussels and asked a guy in the car next to us how to get to Liege, he promptly told us to follow him, and he took us to the correct road out of Brussels.

The trip home was somewhat quieter. Stopped by the rozzers in Ingurlund checking for drugs, the only smell they got was wee wullie's orange which he'd peeled in his pocket cause he didnae want to share it.

thekaratekid
09-12-2011, 08:26 PM
seeing Andy Goram score against Morton

when the terracing was still around i remember a ball getting played into the crowd and a guy just stood up and headed it straight back onto the pitch

Topographic Hibby
09-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Here's a weird memory that has kinda lingered with me over the years of Hibs playing away at East Stirling in the First Division c1979/80.

We piled out of the train at Falkirk, then realised nobody had a scooby where "The Shire" played about. Wandered down Grahams Road looking for the stadium (yes, I know, streching the "Sale of Goods Act" definitions here!). Wandered past a pub (well I was only 14 or so), and a few regulars helpfully pointed us back up Grahams Road a bit and down a side street. Back then, people in Falkirk helped strangers in their town!

Found "The Stadium" which I don't think had any idea what had hit it when a decent number of Hibbys had also found it. Whilst queuing up to get it, heard the distinctive sound of football boots running up behind us and turned to find the East Stirling squad running up the street. A flimsy metal gate was swung open and in they went - quite what the story was here, I couldn't say.

When the teams were warming-up, a good few boys in green jumped onto the pitch to get autographs from the Hibs team. Yes, some of us wanted autographs of the Hibs First Division side from 1980!!

My memory is that the match finished 1-1 and we gave a debut to some bloke that everyone in the crowd said "Who?" when his name was announced. Possibly called Jimmy Smith IIRC, although don't think he was the 1960s Jazz organist, but his footwork was so lumbering and hopeless that he would've been as well getting the Hammond Organ out to give a tune or two.

Not especially funny or noteworthy, but its not every season when we play The Shire in the league (as our neighbours across town might find themselves doing shortly!)

TH

IberianHibernian
09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Here's a weird memory that has kinda lingered with me over the years of Hibs playing away at East Stirling in the First Division c1979/80.

We piled out of the train at Falkirk, then realised nobody had a scooby where "The Shire" played about. Wandered down Grahams Road looking for the stadium (yes, I know, streching the "Sale of Goods Act" definitions here!). Wandered past a pub (well I was only 14 or so), and a few regulars helpfully pointed us back up Grahams Road a bit and down a side street. Back then, people in Falkirk helped strangers in their town!

Found "The Stadium" which I don't think had any idea what had hit it when a decent number of Hibbys had also found it. Whilst queuing up to get it, heard the distinctive sound of football boots running up behind us and turned to find the East Stirling squad running up the street. A flimsy metal gate was swung open and in they went - quite what the story was here, I couldn't say.

When the teams were warming-up, a good few boys in green jumped onto the pitch to get autographs from the Hibs team. Yes, some of us wanted autographs of the Hibs First Division side from 1980!!

My memory is that the match finished 1-1 and we gave a debut to some bloke that everyone in the crowd said "Who?" when his name was announced. Possibly called Jimmy Smith IIRC, although don't think he was the 1960s Jazz organist, but his footwork was so lumbering and hopeless that he would've been as well getting the Hammond Organ out to give a tune or two.

Not especially funny or noteworthy, but its not every season when we play The Shire in the league (as our neighbours across town might find themselves doing shortly!)

THI remember a game at The Shire ( maybe two , both draws that season ) because there didn`t seem to be any toilets so we had to climb out of ground for a slash then climb back in . That season there was a "James Brown" ( not to be confused with ex jambo captain Jim Brown who played for us same season ) who might be mystery Jimmy Smith you mention . Lots of other memories of following Hibs - other day was remembering sleeping in Ross County social club after a pre season friendly in RC`s Highland League days - barman left us to lock up . Doubt barman of Hibs Club would leave keys with away fans .

Topographic Hibby
09-12-2011, 10:58 PM
I remember a game at The Shire ( maybe two , both draws that season ) because there didn`t seem to be any toilets so we had to climb out of ground for a slash then climb back in . That season there was a "James Brown" ( not to be confused with ex jambo captain Jim Brown who played for us same season )...Yes, thank you. you are quite correct - it was the Godfather of Soul that played for us then, and not the king of the organ!

Everyone still went "Who?" though!

TH

frazeHFC
09-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Being asked in a pub in 1990 on only my second visit to Edinburgh why the **** a Liverpool supporter had decided to follow Hibs! Genuinely convinced the guy that I thought there was only one team in Edinburgh and let him slaver on trying to convince me that there was two and that I should go along to watch Hearts.

:top marks

I cannot think of any just now that i have experience. One weird moment recently though was seeing St Johnstone's mascot, i mean what is it meant to be? :confused: