PDA

View Full Version : Take caution if preparing to buy train tickets to Aberdeen next week.

Kammy1875
08-12-2011, 10:48 AM
I have heard through the grapevine that the weather is going to be horrendous from next Friday, worse than today and tomorrow and most likely the trains will be cancelled.

IFONLY
08-12-2011, 11:00 AM
I have heard through the grapevine that the weather is going to be horrendous from next Friday, worse than today and tomorrow and most likely the trains will be cancelled.

Who from?

The Sea-gull
08-12-2011, 11:04 AM

Who told you that? Michael Fish? John Kettley? God?

Thought they could only accurately predict weather about 4-5 days in advance.

iwasthere1972
08-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Think someone is pulling your leg. The long range weather forecast for next Saturday in Edinburgh and Aberdeen shows the wind speed as being about 20mph. Compared to today that's summer.

Do you work for a bus company?

Hainan Hibs
08-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Meteorologist folk ken whits gaun oan.

Kammy1875
08-12-2011, 11:11 AM
I work for the University of Edinburgh and we have been advised of major travel disruption for next weekend.

Only passing on what I've heard, sorry. :rolleyes:

carnoustiehibee
08-12-2011, 11:22 AM
I work for the University of Edinburgh and we have been advised of major travel disruption for next weekend.

Nothing like getting shot down on hibs.net after passing on some info eh!

JimBHibees
08-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Surely you would get a refund if trains were cancelled.

Elephant Stone
08-12-2011, 11:33 AM

You got access to any exam papers? :cb

Judas Iscariot
08-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Same contact that told you about Fenlon?

Kammy1875
08-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Nothing like getting shot down on hibs.net after passing on some info eh!

I know.

As for refunds, I'm not sure how quick you would get them, as it's Christmas time it might be into the new year.

Kammy1875
08-12-2011, 11:51 AM

:greengrin nope :wink:

Kammy1875
08-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Same contact that told you about Fenlon?

What's the weather got to do with Felnon? Was that information right or wrong incidentally? :cb

Judas Iscariot
08-12-2011, 12:11 PM
What's the weather got to do with Felnon? Was that information right or wrong incidentally? :cb

Steady neebuhr, was merely jesting

Hermit Crab
08-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Trains should still be running next weekend. They are running today albeit a country wide 50mph speed restriction is in place and the Tay rail bridge is shut due to the high winds so trains to Dundee and the north are diverted via Perth which means extended journey times for all journeys.

If your travelling next Saturday morning then get the 07:28 or the 08:29 Aberdeen trains because even if they are quite late then you will still have plenty time to make the game.

Hermit Crab
08-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Trains should still be running next weekend. They are running today albeit a country wide 50mph speed restriction is in place and the Tay rail bridge is shut due to the high winds so trains to Dundee and the north are diverted via Perth which means extended journey times for all journeys.

If your travelling next Saturday morning then get the 07:28 or the 08:29 Aberdeen trains because even if they are quite late then you will still have plenty time to make the game.

Would like to add that trains to Dundee/Perth and Aberdeen have now been suspended due to the poor weather conditions. You can check for updates via scotrail journey check.

Kammy1875
08-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Steady neebuhr, was merely jesting

I know mate, realised that once I posted sorry.

:aok:

Robinho08
08-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Behave yourself, it's too early to tell what next Sat will be like.

Kammy1875
08-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Would like to add that trains to Dundee/Perth and Aberdeen have now been suspended due to the poor weather conditions. You can check for updates via scotrail journey check.

It's heavy snow and winds next week I'm informed. :aok:

I suppose everyone talking about this, refunds on trains etc are preparing cautiously so my work is complete :greengrin

silverhibee
08-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Who from?

Sean Batty. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
08-12-2011, 12:35 PM
The weather forecasters can barely predict what's going to happen 48 hours in advance, never mind seven days.

I'm not saying this won't be true, snow in Scotland in the middle of December would hardly come as much of a surprise.

Kojock
08-12-2011, 12:53 PM

Hoy....Couldn't you have waited till I sold mine before making this announcement.:grr:

Kaiser_Sauzee
08-12-2011, 12:58 PM

Ignore all the moaning fuds on here mate - they bring this place to its knees.

Thanks for the info.

SmashinGlass
08-12-2011, 01:00 PM

Here:

http://www.exampapers.lib.ed.ac.uk.ezproxy.webfeat.lib.ed .ac.uk/

:wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Would like to add that trains to Dundee/Perth and Aberdeen have now been suspended due to the poor weather conditions. You can check for updates via scotrail journey check. The Halfway House will be mobbed this afternoon then!

Hermit Crab
08-12-2011, 01:30 PM
The Halfway House will be mobbed this afternoon then!

No I'm A/L this week :na na:

frazeHFC
08-12-2011, 01:50 PM
The forth bridge better be open on Saturday! :grr:

marinello59
08-12-2011, 03:46 PM
It's heavy snow and winds next week I'm informed. :aok:

I suppose everyone talking about this, refunds on trains etc are preparing cautiously so my work is complete :greengrin

Strange. Aberdeen is rarely totally without a train service. To have this much advance warning would be absolutely unprecedented. I don't think I have failed to get to a game due to weather once in the last five years. :confused:

marinello59
08-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Hoy....Couldn't you have waited till I sold mine before making this announcement.:grr:

Ah, it makes sense now. Has he offered you a quid a ticket by PM? :greengrin

Kammy1875
08-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Strange. Aberdeen is rarely totally without a train service. To have this much advance warning would be absolutely unprecedented. I don't think I have failed to get to a game due to weather once in the last five years. :confused:

Fair enough, what I'm saying is before pre paying for train tickets etc take into consideration there is severe weather foretasted throughout Scotland next week.

Trains might not be cancelled but you could find yourself paying for the train and the game being cancelled or whatever.

I'm sorry if I have the wrong info and trains up to Aberdeen never get cancelled but the University has advised staff to be prepared and cautious because the weather is meant to be worse the end of next week than it is today.

marinello59
08-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Fair enough, what I'm saying is before pre paying for train tickets etc take into consideration there is severe weather foretasted throughout Scotland next week.

Trains might not be cancelled but you could find yourself paying for the train and the game being cancelled or whatever.

I'm sorry if I have the wrong info and trains up to Aberdeen never get cancelled but the University has advised staff to be prepared and cautious because the weather is meant to be worse the end of next week than it is today.

I ain't dismissing it totally...............if I did it would guarantee that there are no trains running next week. :greengrin

Kammy1875
08-12-2011, 04:15 PM
I ain't dismissing it totally...............if I did it would guarantee that there are no trains running next week. :greengrin

I know mate, to be honest I feel a bit of a fool posting it now. I just wanted fellow supporters to be made aware of the conditions predicted for next week, at a time money is scarce and Christmas coming up. :aok:

marinello59
08-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I know mate, to be honest I feel a bit of a fool posting it now. I just wanted fellow supporters to be made aware of the conditions predicted for next week, at a time money is scarce and Christmas coming up. :aok:

No need. Given what's happening out there today anything is possible.

HH81
08-12-2011, 05:25 PM
The train company would refund if the trains were stopped.

Dinkydoo
08-12-2011, 06:25 PM

No need to feel a fool IMO, it's just that predicting the weather accurately, this far in advance, is unheard of.

'Constantly changing variables' folk ken whits gan oan.