PDA

View Full Version : Stanton & O'Rourke .....CLASS

Stanton
07-12-2011, 10:54 PM
:top marks

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xSaY75jHC-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

iwasthere1972
07-12-2011, 11:01 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xSaY75jHC-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think I may have been there. :wink: Brilliant day out.

It's like watching telly from the inside of a post box.

Sherlock Jones
07-12-2011, 11:13 PM
The Pat Stanton Final.
Class act.

Mango Man
08-12-2011, 01:46 AM

AMAZING!! Don't think I have ever seen that footage before :confused: what a team.:thumbsup:

Lucius Apuleius
08-12-2011, 04:29 AM
Bring a tear to a glass eye. I missed it. I was at sea (16 years old) on the RMS Windsor Castle. It led to me being put in a laundry bag with just my head sticking out, put through a flight dishwasher (thankfully not on hot) then thrown into the Tourist Class saloon in a helluva state. All because I ripped into the tim supporting dish washers!!! Worth every second of it!!!

johnrebus
08-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Bring a tear to a glass eye. I missed it. I was at sea (16 years old) on the RMS Windsor Castle. It led to me being put in a laundry bag with just my head sticking out, put through a flight dishwasher (thankfully not on hot) then thrown into the Tourist Class saloon in a helluva state. All because I ripped into the tim supporting dish washers!!! Worth every second of it!!!

Shortly after the second, Gordon had one cleared off the line when he really should have scored. If that had gone in for 3-0, we may just have gone on to take revenge for the Scottish Cup Final hammering of seven months before......,

:hibees

hugo boss
08-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Shortly after the second, Gordon had one cleared off the line when he really should have scored. If that had gone in for 3-0, we may just have gone on to take revenge for the Scottish Cup Final hammering of seven months before......,

every player comfy on the ball....where has it went so wrong?

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-12-2011, 10:03 AM

Agreed, there's no fluency like that in football anymore, players look so comfortable on the ball, I honestly think modern day tactics suck

iwasthere1972
08-12-2011, 10:39 AM

Not enough training with the ball. I get the impression that our players only see a fitba on matchdays and even then some of them look like it's the first time they've seen one.

Oh and modern technology and all these pasta menus . Nae texting and listening to music on your iPod back then while sitting in luxurious surroundings. A big greasy breakfast followed by hard graft followed by a big greasy dinner followed by six cans of lager and 20 woodbine was the order of the day back yon.

Golden Bear
08-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Happy days indeed. Memories are made of this!

I'm sure I still have an Evening News "Gilzean" commerative poster in the attic somewhere.

:thumbsup:

Seveno
08-12-2011, 12:13 PM
I cried at the time when that second goal went in there is a tear in my eye now.

It was so fitting that the goals were scored by Stanton and O'Rourke. True Hibs legends.

stubru59
08-12-2011, 12:13 PM

It's a long story ... But in those days we trained on the council parks. Runs up and down Arthur Seat were the cool-down. Centre forwards were supposed to score goals, and they usually did.

Full-backs could defend, as well as score goals. Going to the game was the highlight of the week... and on it goes.

Stanton
08-12-2011, 02:30 PM
That particular game is memorable in Scottish Football NOT because we won …but the manner in which we won.:wink:
The game was widely recognized at the time as a “ CLASSIC GAME OF FOOTBALL “ between two teams who gave their all providing an exhibition of outstanding attacking football.
That wiz a very good Celtic team …but they were up against the BEST HIBS team of my lifetime ….oh to have some of that squad today :flag:

HIBERNIAN-0762
08-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I think one thing we all agree on in this thread is footballers cushy lifestyle is definitely a key to our recent form slump, I really honestly don't think EM has done us any favours despite all the state of the art blurb.

Spike Mandela
08-12-2011, 03:02 PM

I've got a warm, fuzzy feeling!:greengrin

WhileTheChief..
08-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Hibs’ cup victory may be sign of shifting balance of power

By IAN ARCHER

The facts are clear and concise. Hibernian, on a dreary afternoon at Hampden Park, won their first major trophy for 20 years – and they won it well.
So Eddie Turnbull brought home to Easter Road 17 months ago, to replace the club's fading honour with a piece of silverware that everyone could touch, is the man of the hour.

So, too, is Pat Stanton, the Hibs captain, who in the vital period of the league cup final bestrode the pitch as heroically and as imagina*tively as any man who has ever played on this great stage before him.

It was Stanton who broke the tactical stalemate that was planned in the dressing rooms of both these finalists, to prove once again that football is about players and the things that players do.

In a period between the sixtieth and the eightieth minute Stanton scored a goal, made the cross for the second, set up the easiest chance of the match — which Gordon missed — and then hit the post with another shot. That short catalogue was enough to ensure that Celtic, for the third year running, lost the last and most important match of this competition.

If those, the bones of Saturday’s affair, are plain, the conclusions are tempt*ingly dramatic. The whole balance of power inside the Scottish game may just pos*sibly be swinging across country from the coarse face of Glasgow to the finer aspect of Edinburgh, a capital in name only as far as football is concerned.

In my preview of the final I said that Hibs were worthy contenders, not yet ready to assume the mantle of cham*pions. That was a prediction made in good faith, based on the available evi*dence. I was totally wrong.

This Hibs team has grown steadily in stature until they have reached the stage when Celtic’s image and abilities cease to frighten them. Turnbull has taught them many technical skills, and, most importantly, given them enormous self-confidence.

In this sense, that heavy, hurting and humiliating defeat in last season's Scottish Cup final did not matter. It had been erased from their minds by a string of good results dur*ing this latest campaign. Hibs knew how to beat Celtic and were able to force the match to suit their own ends.

Quite simply, Hibs dic*tated the tactics of dead*lock and when the game loosened up in the second half, had the better players in the vital positions, not*ably midfield, where Stanton was joined by Edwards and Cropley.

They still have a lot more to prove before they over*take Celtic in achievement or estimation, but no one can now be certain that they will not accomplish this end. A victory like this is heavy wine indeed. We may just be on the edge of a new era and the capabilities of this team make that an exciting pros*pect.

speedy_gonzales
08-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Nobody else notice the blatant back-pass at 2m30s :rolleyes:

WindyMiller
08-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Tears streaming down my face.

The best Hib's team I'll ever see. A wonderful night.

Stantons Angel
08-12-2011, 03:46 PM
I never tire of seeing that clip and from reading the plaudits bestowed on Pat Stanton. That really was HIS final!

To see him stride across the grass in complete command of all around him was a joy to behold.

He took that game by the scruff off the neck and took it to Celtic. He made those around him play and wore the
jersey the way it should be worn... with PRIDE!

We missed the kick off at Hampden and arrived to find our selves at the back of the high terracing surrounded by
Celtic supporters. We managed to make our way through them to the front.

When Pat scored that goal my reaction was to grab the chap next to me and give him a big cuddle, when i let go off him he was wearing Celtic colours and badges all over his scarf. He just smiled and said "its ok love it was a
good goal, scored by the best player on the park"

Memories are made of games like this.! How i wish we had their likes today!!!

WindyMiller
08-12-2011, 03:54 PM
The lads with an earlier trophy.

(http://www.newcutpress.co.uk/holycross/images/1960Football Champions.jpg)
http://www.newcutpress.co.uk/holycross/images/1960Football Champions.jpg

CapitalHibs
08-12-2011, 04:26 PM

Pass backs allowed in those days.:wink: Did anyone else see the ref give celtc a throw in when Stanton blatantly played it off the hooped player:rolleyes:

speedy_gonzales
08-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Pass backs allowed in those days.:wink: Did anyone else see the ref give celtc a throw in when Stanton blatantly played it off the hooped player:rolleyes:
Yer,,,just to clarify, I was born in '74, not yesterday, it was poor attempt at humour on my part:embarrass

snooky
08-12-2011, 04:57 PM

I was at both games.

It truly was Stanton's SLCF. He was IMMENSE that day ..... noo where's my hanky?

Stanton
08-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Hibernian SLCF 1972 WINNERS :greengrin

Look at this team :

Herriot, Brownlie,Schaedler,STANTON,Black,Blackley,Edwards, O’Rourke,Gordon,Cropley and Duncan

Fantastic ability throughout .....or am I getting over sentimental with the passage of time

Sudds_1
08-12-2011, 05:23 PM
That particular game is memorable in Scottish Football NOT because we won …but the manner in which we won.:wink:
The game was widely recognized at the time as a “ CLASSIC GAME OF FOOTBALL “ between two teams who gave their all providing an exhibition of outstanding attacking football.
That wiz a very good Celtic team …but they were up against the BEST HIBS team of my lifetime ….oh to have some of that squad today :flag:

aint that the truth! My god did that bring back some memories...........I fear I'm gonna be really depressed when reality bites.......But for now I'll bask in the past...........

........wi a HUGE smile on ma puss!

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Stanton
08-12-2011, 05:23 PM
THERE was an agreeable unanimity about the merit of Hibs' memorable win in the Scottish League Cup final, their first success in the final of a national competition on the present Hampden Park.
It was clinched by Jock Stein's honest handshake for each Hibs player as he left the field and his gruff summing-up later: "Hibs were the better team. That's it."

Eddie Turnbull came in with the truculent demand that Hibs' status and worthiness should be acclaimed, and one was not sure whether he wanted them declared best in Hampden, or Scotland, or maybe the whole world. He had good cause to be excited and proud.

All around the corridors of Hampden there was that feeling of well-being. Some were saying: "Why cannot we have football like that all the time." Others declared: "If we could have more football like that there would be no problems in the game."

Willie Ormond and Bobby Johnstone of the "Famous Five" watched on and remembered their regrets in the early Fifties when they won three League championships but never a Hampden final.

Ormond was saying: "In our days we took bigger crowds to Hampden, but none of them made as much noise as those supporters today!"

Turnbull was shifting credit away from himself. He would take no praise for the manoeuvre which brought the first goal for Pat Stanton.

He said: "We have some set-pieces with the dead ball, but each man is told to use his own initiative in these situations, and if they see something to go for it. It was just a case of two men thinking as one."

Be that as it may, he cannot squirm out of taking a bow for the half-time change which swung the match Hibs' way.

The first half had been a period for the coaches. It was engrossingly tactical with men cancelling out men and, although the play was entertaining, it was being kept away from the goalkeepers.

Edwards was playing in the midfield where his skills were smothered. In the second half, Turnbull sent him to play wide on the right. There he found space and time to use the ball intelligently. It was from that side that the two Hibs goals were forced. Some said Stanton was the man of the match but they were being charmed by his second-half excellence into overlooking a vital aspect of the first half. Celtic, had they settled to a game quick, could have won the cup.

In the end, however, the merits of Hibs as a team brought the cup to Easter Road. Nowhere did this allow more than in defence – Hibs' organisation there surpassed that of Celtic. Right across the back, through Brownlie, Black, Blackley and Schaedler, there was good covering.

Celtic never matched this. When Edwards took the free-kick which made the first goal, Stanton was being covered loosely and on the wrong side before thumping home his effort. When Stanton invited the pass which led to him firing in a cross for O'Rourke to head home a superb second goal, no Celtic defender went with him. Hibs' defence never allowed such freedom. That they did not was due mainly to John Brownlie. When others were mispassing, being pushed around and losing all the 50-50 balls he was countering Jimmy Johnstone, charging into attack and in general showing that he was as exciting and effective defender as was to be found in all of Britain.

Celtic had their glorious player in Kenny Dalglish. He was an extraordinary player so skilful, so adventurous, so creative and shorn of anything underhand.

His goal was a gem from the way he headed the ball, as it came to him, right into his running path, to the goal, to the balance and composure as he reached the vital shooting area. Then there was the precision of the shot. It was a goal to soften defeat for the Celtic supporters.

Bostonhibby
08-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I was at both games.

It truly was Stanton's SLCF. He was IMMENSE that day ..... noo where's my hanky?

Me too - and the second one just showed what character we had then, the gulf between the teams just 7 months or so later was bigger than the scoreline suggests, as one poster says if we'd got the 3rd who knows. Definitely Sir Pat's final. Have a great photo of him amongst the crowd outside ER trophy in hand after the bus arrived there very late at night, going to dig it out now and remember better times.

--------
08-12-2011, 06:31 PM

So? It was allowed back then.

The sweetest (football) memory of my whole time following Hibs. (There have been other, better, days - but not many.)

snooky
08-12-2011, 06:57 PM
THERE was an agreeable unanimity about the merit of Hibs' memorable win in the Scottish League Cup final, their first success in the final of a national competition on the present Hampden Park.
It was clinched by Jock Stein's honest handshake for each Hibs player as he left the field and his gruff summing-up later: "Hibs were the better team. That's it."

Eddie Turnbull came in with the truculent demand that Hibs' status and worthiness should be acclaimed, and one was not sure whether he wanted them declared best in Hampden, or Scotland, or maybe the whole world. He had good cause to be excited and proud.

All around the corridors of Hampden there was that feeling of well-being. Some were saying: "Why cannot we have football like that all the time." Others declared: "If we could have more football like that there would be no problems in the game."

Willie Ormond and Bobby Johnstone of the "Famous Five" watched on and remembered their regrets in the early Fifties when they won three League championships but never a Hampden final.

Ormond was saying: "In our days we took bigger crowds to Hampden, but none of them made as much noise as those supporters today!"

Turnbull was shifting credit away from himself. He would take no praise for the manoeuvre which brought the first goal for Pat Stanton.

He said: "We have some set-pieces with the dead ball, but each man is told to use his own initiative in these situations, and if they see something to go for it. It was just a case of two men thinking as one."

Be that as it may, he cannot squirm out of taking a bow for the half-time change which swung the match Hibs' way.

The first half had been a period for the coaches. It was engrossingly tactical with men cancelling out men and, although the play was entertaining, it was being kept away from the goalkeepers.

Edwards was playing in the midfield where his skills were smothered. In the second half, Turnbull sent him to play wide on the right. There he found space and time to use the ball intelligently. It was from that side that the two Hibs goals were forced. Some said Stanton was the man of the match but they were being charmed by his second-half excellence into overlooking a vital aspect of the first half. Celtic, had they settled to a game quick, could have won the cup.

In the end, however, the merits of Hibs as a team brought the cup to Easter Road. Nowhere did this allow more than in defence – Hibs' organisation there surpassed that of Celtic. Right across the back, through Brownlie, Black, Blackley and Schaedler, there was good covering.

Celtic never matched this. When Edwards took the free-kick which made the first goal, Stanton was being covered loosely and on the wrong side before thumping home his effort. When Stanton invited the pass which led to him firing in a cross for O'Rourke to head home a superb second goal, no Celtic defender went with him. Hibs' defence never allowed such freedom. That they did not was due mainly to John Brownlie. When others were mispassing, being pushed around and losing all the 50-50 balls he was countering Jimmy Johnstone, charging into attack and in general showing that he was as exciting and effective defender as was to be found in all of Britain.

Celtic had their glorious player in Kenny Dalglish. He was an extraordinary player so skilful, so adventurous, so creative and shorn of anything underhand.

His goal was a gem from the way he headed the ball, as it came to him, right into his running path, to the goal, to the balance and composure as he reached the vital shooting area. Then there was the precision of the shot. It was a goal to soften defeat for the Celtic supporters.

FFS Paddy, stop being so modest. :greengrin

speedy_gonzales
08-12-2011, 07:22 PM
So? It was allowed back then.

Aye, I know, but you must admit it looks a bit 'strange' nowadays seeing as we've had the rule for nearly 20 years now, was just a flippant observation, don't mean to detract from the OP.

Jonnyboy
08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Undoubtedly Pat's best game in the green and white of Hibernian :agree:

Alfred E Newman
08-12-2011, 08:50 PM
The last ten minutes were the longest of my life.