PDA

View Full Version : Vaz Te

hibeedonald
06-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Scored with a great strike at the weekend and has scored again tonight after just 7 seconds. Another we let go off too fast?

Barney McGrew
06-12-2011, 07:42 PM
He never seemed to be bothered when he was up here, he just gave the impression we were somewhere to get wages until he could get back down south.

hibeemikey21
06-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Scored with a great strike at the weekend and has scored again tonight after just 7 seconds. Another we let go off too fast?

:agree: 100%. Wikipedia says thats 16 appearances (and I know some have been from the bench) and 6 goals now in the Championship. Thats a very decent return for a player who isn't necessarily an out and out striker.

Could definitely use a creative player like him to link the midfield and attack. I have felt there has been a void there for maybe a couple of years now, since Zemmama lost his form.

Jack
06-12-2011, 07:51 PM
I would have liked to see him stay but on the other hand he was muscled out of the SPL - he was just too lightweight.

IWasThere2016
06-12-2011, 07:54 PM
I would have liked to see him stay but on the other hand he was muscled out of the SPL - he was just too lightweight.

The Chumpionship is nae kindergarten J!

SMAXXA
06-12-2011, 08:15 PM

I dont think it was in our hands he was always going to leave

HH81
06-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Scored again.

Jack
06-12-2011, 08:28 PM
The Chumpionship is nae kindergarten J! Appreciate that TQM and I'll raise you and say there are too many defenders in Scotland that are a cross between donkeys and hunny monsters and more often than not the ball is a secondary consideration. Vaz Te was like Zemmama before him and would have been hoofed on to the treatment table all too often. Its a shame but that's reality.

edwards
06-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Always thought Vaz Te was a quality player a lot of hibs fans complained but always looked to take a touch and play some nice football.
Would have liked to have kept him but to be honest his agent was probably looking for a club down south before the season ended.

Don Giovanni
06-12-2011, 08:32 PM
He never seemed to be bothered when he was up here, he just gave the impression we were somewhere to get wages until he could get back down south. Hmm... is that Vaz Te or Calderwood your talking aboot, Barney? :wink:

Holmesdale Hibs
06-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Yep, I thought he was alright and we should have kept him instead of Sodje, if we had that option. He's better than Agogo as well.

He's scored a few times recently, his name keeps popping up on SSN and soccer am.

IWasThere2016
06-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Appreciate that TQM and I'll raise you and say there are too many defenders in Scotland that are a cross between donkeys and hunny monsters and more often than not the ball is a secondary consideration. Vaz Te was like Zemmama before him and would have been hoofed on to the treatment table all too often. Its a shame but that's reality.

Some cloggers down there - he'll be getting better supply and he'll have better players to play off etc.

Jack
06-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Some cloggers down there - he'll be getting better supply and he'll have better players to play off etc. I think that's the bit and that's why the OF can afford, in playing way, to use this type of player.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Every time he pulled on the shirt, he played like he was doing us a favour. Was never a long term option.

LancashireHibby
07-12-2011, 08:47 AM
He does have some real quality when he puts his mind to it, but he barely looked bothered even when he played at Bolton, never mind Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2011, 09:13 AM
I think he's not a bad player, although it is funny when the likes of him and Riordan are not good enough when we have a struggling side, and we want players who will bust a gut for the team, rather than those who can win us any game with one second of genius.

As soon as the team starts to struggle, we have a large amount of supporters who want rid of the real quality, and replaced with these 100% journeymen. I think some folk would have us filled up with 11 Jimmy Scotts or John Rankins?

SRHibs
07-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Looked really promising in the few games he played with us, IMO. Said at the time that I'd much rather keep him than the journeyman Sodje, but hey-ho.

SRHibs
07-12-2011, 09:22 AM
I think he's not a bad player, although it is funny when the likes of him and Riordan are not good enough when we have a struggling side, and we want players who will bust a gut for the team, rather than those who can win us any game with one second of genius.

As soon as the team starts to struggle, we have a large amount of supporters who want rid of the real quality, and replaced with these 100% journeymen. I think some folk would have us filled up with 11 Jimmy Scotts or John Rankins?

:agree::agree:

Agreed with most of this, although I don't think Riordan is anywhere near as good as he used to be, and probably wouldn't have him in the team if we're realistically hoping to push for 3rd/4th.

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2011, 09:29 AM

Agreed with most of this, although I don't think Riordan is anywhere near as good as he used to be, and probably wouldn't have him in the team if we're realistically hoping to push for 3rd/4th.

Without getting into is he coming back or not, i think Riordan is easily good enough for this team. I know the arguments about his work rate, but he still knows where the goals are, and he would set up a few.

I agree he is a poorer player in Hibs poorer sides, but imo he has that bit of talent that can open up teams, he has an eye for a goal. He gets us frustrated at times, but he also gets us off our feet. Nobody and i include Ivan in this does it at the moment from this lot.

If we had a good side, and were solid at the back and had any sort of midfield, we'd all be crying out for a Vaz Te or a Riordan to score the goals and add that little bit of quality in the last 3rd of the pitch.

SRHibs
07-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Without getting into is he coming back or not, i think Riordan is easily good enough for this team. I know the arguments about his work rate, but he still knows where the goals are, and he would set up a few.

I agree he is a poorer player in Hibs poorer sides, but imo he has that bit of talent that can open up teams, he has an eye for a goal. He gets us frustrated at times, but he also gets us off our feet. Nobody and i include Ivan in this does it at the moment from this lot.

If we had a good side, and were solid at the back and had any sort of midfield, we'd all be crying out for a Vaz Te or a Riordan to score the goals and add that little bit of quality in the last 3rd of the pitch.

He got significantly worse as time progressed in his latter spell with us. Thing is, he's not really an out-and-out striker, and I just feel that he's lost the pace that made him effective on the left hand side. So where would we put him? No doubt his ability to create a goal from nothing is a valuable asset, but is it enough to make up for the fact that playing with Riordan in our team is often like playing a man down?

jdships
07-12-2011, 09:53 AM

:top marks
Unfortunately Riordan's best days are past and as the song says " in the past they should remain "
Now yesterdays man !
Thanks for the memory Deeks

:flag:

blackpoolhibs
07-12-2011, 09:59 AM
He got significantly worse as time progressed in his latter spell with us. Thing is, he's not really an out-and-out striker, and I just feel that he's lost the pace that made him effective on the left hand side. So where would we put him? No doubt his ability to create a goal from nothing is a valuable asset, but is it enough to make up for the fact that playing with Riordan in our team is often like playing a man down?

I dont think he ever had pace, i agree he was not as good 2nd time round although the stats dont really back that up. You also have to bare in mind the crap we had all over the park, yet he still managed to be top scorer and top assists too.

I just feel we seem to want rid of any real quality when we are struggling, rather than keep those types and sort out the real problems.

Judas Iscariot
07-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Was a very decent player, classy...

Wage demands would've been more than what we could offer but would certainly walk into this team just now given how rank rotten we really are!

Same goes for Deek, in a "footballing" side Deek will ALWAYS score goals

easty
07-12-2011, 01:20 PM
I dont think he ever had pace, i agree he was not as good 2nd time round although the stats dont really back that up. You also have to bare in mind the crap we had all over the park, yet he still managed to be top scorer and top assists too.

I just feel we seem to want rid of any real quality when we are struggling, rather than keep those types and sort out the real problems.

Dunno if I agree with the part in bold, I think that's sort of a convenient argument that's too readily rolled out. Aye, a lot of fans would rather have hard workers/fighters all over the park and get results, than continue to play "luxury players" like Vaz Te and Riordan, but get nil points. However, it's never as simple as that and most people, I reckon, would not prefer to get rid of the players who are good to watch.

But totally agree with you about Deek, he never had great pace, he maybe lost the youthful exuberance he had in his first spell but he's still technically gifted and good enough to score goals in the SPL.

Bayern Bru
07-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Vaz Te scored one goal at Hibs, admittedly against Hearts which usually guarantees hero status.

Sodje scored 6 goals in 15 games and whilst perhaps not technically as gifted as Vaz Te, would be more likely to score more goals.

Yet some people would rather have kept Vaz Te?

I'm not sure we got the lesser deal here.

Judas Iscariot
07-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Vaz Te scored one goal at Hibs, admittedly against Hearts which usually guarantees hero status.

Sodje scored 6 goals in 15 games and whilst perhaps not technically as gifted as Vaz Te, would be more likely to score more goals.

Yet some people would rather have kept Vaz Te?

I'm not sure we got the lesser deal here.

Sodje's played well this season though eh

Bayern Bru
07-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Sodje's played well this season though eh

An utterly pointless thing to say given his contribution this season has consisted of 9 sub appearances in the league, 1 league cup sub appearance and one start in the league cup - in which he scored.
If he'd started every game and played at least 70 minutes, this might have been a valid point.

Still, any excuse to slate one of our own players, eh? :rolleyes:

SRHibs
07-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Sodje's pish.

Golden Bear
07-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Vaz Te is a fur coat and nae drawers type of player.

We're well rid.

--------
07-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Strikes me that when the manager's simply putting in time until a better offer comes along, the players aren't going to bother their backsides either.

VT would have been a lot more motivated if his manager had been motivated too.

SRHibs
07-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Vaz Te didn't look demotivated for a second when he was there. He put in a good shift every time I saw him.

Captain Trips
07-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Vaz Te, Darryl Duffy the list goes on, when you have these players for short term contracts you never see what they fully can do and if they do alright our history is we lose them more often than not.

It is time to start identifying players who we can sign for 2/3 seasons they are out there I am sure, I hope Pat is looking to build a team not get from one transfer window to next, this is why imo we are doing badly.

--------
07-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Vaz Te, Darryl Duffy the list goes on, when you have these players for short term contracts you never see what they fully can do and if they do alright our history is we lose them more often than not.

It is time to start identifying players who we can sign for 2/3 seasons they are out there I am sure, I hope Pat is looking to build a team not get from one transfer window to next, this is why imo we are doing badly.

You could very well be right, Carlsberg.

Why should any player really care about a club he'll be leaving within a year to eighteen months' time?

LancashireHibby
09-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Vaz Te has got a couple of belter's in this week's Goals of the Week on the BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16107419.stm)

--------
09-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Vaz Te is a fur coat and nae drawers type of player.

We're well rid.

Just the sort of player Barnsley are notorious for signing, then?

He's playing well, they're playing well, and we (or CC) missed a chance when we let him go.

Judas Iscariot
09-12-2011, 02:00 PM
An utterly pointless thing to say given his contribution this season has consisted of 9 sub appearances in the league, 1 league cup sub appearance and one start in the league cup - in which he scored.
If he'd started every game and played at least 70 minutes, this might have been a valid point.

Still, any excuse to slate one of our own players, eh? :rolleyes:
So why hasn't he featured much then?

Sodje's pish.

Oh aye, that's why ^ ^

:aok: