PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian History Handbook

big-mo
06-12-2011, 06:08 PM
The Hibernian History Handbook is now available, this is the booklet you have all been waiting on, (well some of you anyway), hopefully the administrator will indulge me and allow me to promote this endeavour. It was put together mainly as a labour of love and has taken some time to complete.

This book is a full colour 60 page reference guide of Hibernian Football Club from the birth of its founders in 1836 and 1854, right up to November 2011 when Calderwood was sacked.

It recalls all major events affecting HFC over the years including major games, stadium changes and development, significant players, board members and owners and changes in the official standing of the club within the game in Scotland.

It has details of every season including, league competed in, number of competing teams in the league and final position, games played, won lost and drawn and goal scored and conceded. Also included is how far they progressed in the major cup competitions in every year we competed.

It covers the over 120 trophies won by Hibs over the years along with other records such as: largest crowds, largest wins/defeats, most goals scored in a season by the team and individuals, most capped players etc. It includes illustrations of all the 54 main strips worn over the years.

What else is included? Well, how about the record of every manager of the club including details of games managed, won, lost, drawn, goals for and against and their win percentages. And there is more, it records all 1,399 players who have been included in Hibs first team squad since the inaugural squad away back in 1875. It includes a map showing where Hibs have played all their European games including all the results. It even details the chronology and history of the very successful Hibernian Ladies team.

There is also lots of trivia, such as:
when back in 1878 Hibs played a game under electric lights,
when Hibs played regular Friday night football with their ‘home’ games being at Tynecastle!,
when in 1879 a Hibs fan was arrested for kicking the Hearts captain and throwing stone at other Hearts players,
when a young Hibs player died after being involved in a tackle in a game which should have been cancelled as the pitch was unplayable,
when Hibs were crowned ‘Football Champions of the World’,
when the son of a Hibs captain played for the USA in the 1930 World Cup,
when a Hibs financial backer was denounced on the floor of the House of Commons,
and the player who went on to join the board and was involved with the club on a day to day basis for over 65 years.

The book also has space to update the Hibs managers, players and progression for the next few seasons.

So where can you get a copy and how much is it? The distribution is limited and will only be available from the Club Shop, the Supporters Club, the Programme Shop on Albion Road, Barr’s Newsagent at the foot of the Walk and Extra Time (sports memorabilia shop) at the Gyle, it will also be available on eBay.

And what’s more it only costs £7.

This is an ideal present for every Hibee, dads and mums, uncles and aunts, son and daughters, husbands and wives, grandparents, anyone who is interested in Hibs or even just football. Or just buy it for yourself to help fill in the gaps in your knowledge of Hibs or to settle those arguments in the pub when someone always thinks they know better.

:aok:

wazoo1875
06-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Sounds like a good read BigMo I'll have one of them tomorrow !! :thumbsup:

JustSimplyHibs
06-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Do you get it from the Hibs shop, watersons, amazon?

Jonnyboy
06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Do you get it from the Hibs shop, watersons, amazon?

As the OP says ...........

So where can you get a copy and how much is it? The distribution is limited and will only be available from the Club Shop, the Supporters Club, the Programme Shop on Albion Road, Barr’s Newsagent at the foot of the Walk and Extra Time (sports memorabilia shop) at the Gyle, it will also be available on eBay.

Mo - good stuff and count on one more sale :aok:

Edit: Give me a shout when it's on eBay

iwasthere1972
06-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Sounds like a terrific read and a must have for any Hibernian supporter. A snip at £7. :aok:

Easier for me to buy it from Ebay so will watch out for it. Any chance it will be sold through Amazon?

SteveHFC
06-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Might go to the Club Shop before training tomorrow night to get it :aok:

GreenCastle
06-12-2011, 08:16 PM
While we are on books -

Came across this and a friend I know has a copy - great gift for xmas for any Hibs fan :agree:

http://www.gonedigging.co.uk/sports-book-gifts/personalised-football-books/football-club-books/hibernian-football-book/

(http://www.gonedigging.co.uk/sports-book-gifts/personalised-football-books/football-club-books/hibernian-football-book/) Basically old news paper reports from games from over the years and the quality of the book etc is very good.

Not sure if anyone has a copy here ?

Jonnyboy
06-12-2011, 08:17 PM
While we are on books -

Came across this and a friend I know has a copy - great gift for xmas for any Hibs fan :agree:

http://www.gonedigging.co.uk/sports-book-gifts/personalised-football-books/football-club-books/hibernian-football-book/

(http://www.gonedigging.co.uk/sports-book-gifts/personalised-football-books/football-club-books/hibernian-football-book/) Basically old news paper reports from games from over the years and the quality of the book etc is very good.

I've got it and it's excellent :aok:

GreenCastle
06-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I've got it and it's excellent :aok:

:thumbsup:

The other book being released here sounds great and much cheaper at 7 quid but this gift is also great and can be personalised too for friends / family.

Kato
06-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Sounds like the biz

big-mo
06-12-2011, 08:26 PM
It is now on eBay, item no 150714428420.

The Hibs shop are still to take delivery of their stock, (still in negotiations).
The Programme Shop, Albion Rd and John Frost's newsagent at the foot of Leith Walk do have them in stock now, Extra Time and the Supporters Club will have them in stock tomorrow morning.

At The Edge
06-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Any idea when its coming out on Kindle....:wink::greengrin

Will pick it up on ebay :thumbsup:

SteveHFC
06-12-2011, 09:00 PM

The Hibs shop are still to take delivery of their stock, (still in negotiations).
The Programme Shop, Albion Rd and John Frost's newsagent at the foot of Leith Walk do have them in stock now, Extra Time and the Supporters Club will have them in stock tomorrow morning.

Typical :rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
06-12-2011, 09:04 PM

That's mine bought from eBay :thumbsup:

PS Am lovin' your eBay username :greengrin

Gatecrasher
06-12-2011, 09:11 PM
got one as well, nice christmas gift :agree:

HH81
06-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Not got an eBay account anywhere else I can get a copy given I live In Halifax?

KingFranck
06-12-2011, 10:28 PM
That's mine bought on eBay thanks looking forward to reading it my boy as his bedtime stories

big-mo
06-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Not got an eBay account anywhere else I can get a copy given I live In Halifax?

PM me and I will see if I can get one to you.

Bostonhibby
06-12-2011, 10:41 PM
2 bought on Ebay - thats nearly all my xmas shopping sorted :greengrin

mutley
06-12-2011, 10:53 PM
That's me bought mine, looking forward to it

JustSimplyHibs
06-12-2011, 11:55 PM
As the OP says ...........

Mo - good stuff and count on one more sale :aok:

Edit: Give me a shout when it's on eBay

Hibernian History Handbook

I was sold on the 2nd 3rd and 4th words :wink: the rest is minor detail :thumbsup:

SteveHFC
07-12-2011, 12:01 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjY3WDgwMA==/$(KGrHqF,!n8E63WLm)fpBO3m9fRW)!~~60_12.JPG

big-mo
07-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Just an update on the outlets where you can buy a copy, the Club Shop will not have them in stock prior to this weekend but you will be able to buy copies in the Programme Shop and the Supporter's club as well as the Barr's newsagents and Extra Time and eBay. (They may also be available in some watering holes around Easter Road).
If you live outside Edinburgh and do not have an eBay account but would like a copy (or two) please PM me and I will see if I can make arrangements to get them to you.

ginger_rice
07-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Just got 2 on ebay, one for the laddies christmas and one as wee pressie for myself :thumbsup:

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-12-2011, 09:46 PM
While we are on books -

I got one from the missus for my xmas last year, bulky but a great read complete with old adverts which is great

green glory
07-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Bought 2 tonight in the Gyle. Top notch!

surreyhibbie
07-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Got mine. :thumbsup:

SteveHFC
09-12-2011, 04:13 PM
My book came this morning from Ebay.

PatHead
09-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Got one in the newsagent in Leith Walk. Well done, really interesting.

HH81
09-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Cheers to big mo for arranging my book to be sent.

mutley
09-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Got mine today, very impressive