PDA

View Full Version : Deek

greenlex
06-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Just saw a piece about him looking for a club on SSN.
He was training away.(although I didn't see much sweat to be fair:greengrin)
Anyhoo. The Hibs physio was with him. Is he back at East Mains training? Anyone know?

Cabbage East
06-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Hope so!

DavieRoy
06-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Colin McClelland is no longer the Hibs physio, he runs his own fitness business now.

O'Rourke3
06-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Heard last week he'd been refused permission to train at EM

Brooster
06-12-2011, 10:30 AM
He asked Hibs if he could train at East Mains but was refused. This was before Fenlon arrived.

LeithBoozy
06-12-2011, 10:42 AM
I wonder if we could re- kindel his strike partnership with Garry O, ? :wink:

Andy74
06-12-2011, 10:47 AM
He asked Hibs if he could train at East Mains but was refused. This was before Fenlon arrived.

Seems fair. We need to focus on training and developing the players that play for us.

Riordan has twice now walked away at the end of contracts and so I doubt hibs will go out their way to get him back in after failing at his last club.

The_Exile
06-12-2011, 10:53 AM
So we look after our own Rod eh? Just not on this occassion!!! wouldn't be too fussed if Deek never played for Hibs again etc, but surely we could've let him join in training sessions until he found another club.

MSK
06-12-2011, 10:55 AM
So we look after our own Rod eh? Just not on this occassion!!! wouldn't be too fussed if Deek never played for Hibs again etc, but surely we could've let him join in training sessions until he found another club.Why should we ..keep him fit for another club to snap him up ..?

greenlex
06-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Colin McClelland is no longer the Hibs physio, he runs his own fitness business now.

Ta. Didn't know that.:aok:

scott7_0(Prague)
06-12-2011, 10:58 AM

What i would expect, he refused a new contract so why should we provide facilities for his fitness and future club?

greenlex
06-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Why should we ..keep him fit for another club to snap him up ..?

He should be allowed as long as we get first dibs on him. He has stated he wants a new challenge possibly down south. Don't see it being an issue to be honest. He wasn't offered a new contract after his last one ran out IIRC.
Whatever anyone thinks of Deek he is one of our own and as a family we shoud help him out IMO.

Peevemor
06-12-2011, 10:59 AM
So we look after our own Rod eh? Just not on this occassion!!! wouldn't be too fussed if Deek never played for Hibs again etc, but surely we could've let him join in training sessions until he found another club.

Who says it was RP's decision?

The_Exile
06-12-2011, 10:59 AM

Think that's a wee bit petty, he obviously knows the staff (maybe not so much now of course!), majority of players, nothing wrong with giving him training facilities considering he scored 90 odd goals for us.

IWasThere2016
06-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Seems fair. We need to focus on training and developing the players that play for us.

Riordan has twice now walked away at the end of contracts and so I doubt hibs will go out their way to get him back in after failing at his last club.

What i would expect, he refused a new contract so why should we provide facilities for his fitness and future club?

In 2006 - not the latest time around as there was no offer from Hibs.

scott7_0(Prague)
06-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Think that's a wee bit petty, he obviously knows the staff (maybe not so much now of course!), majority of players, nothing wrong with giving him training facilities considering he scored 90 odd goals for us.

maybe HE would be a distraction. :agree:

.Sean.
06-12-2011, 11:09 AM
What i would expect, he refused a new contract so why should we provide facilities for his fitness and future club? As far as I'm aware, he wasn't even offered an extended deal and I'm sure others can verify this. Who is it who refused him permission to train with Hibs?

silverhibee
06-12-2011, 11:12 AM

:confused:

Judas Iscariot
06-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Pathetic not to allow him to train IMO

MSK
06-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Think that's a wee bit petty, he obviously knows the staff (maybe not so much now of course!), majority of players, nothing wrong with giving him training facilities considering he scored 90 odd goals for us.Would you be saying that if hibs kept him fit until he signs for say St mirren in jan & rattles a couple past us ..:wink:

Im a deeks fan btw but he has gone ..he wants to try something else so good luck to him wherever he ends up ..

Elephant Stone
06-12-2011, 11:26 AM

What if he's prone to being disruptive in training?

SlickShoes
06-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Why?

He is not a Hibs player, he only recently left us, we are currently in turmoil and have just employed a new manager. Why would it be of any interest to hibs to have Deek training with us?

Danderhall Hibs
06-12-2011, 11:34 AM

Just called ER to see if I could join in training for a kickabout and a laugh and that but they refused me as well.

Raging.

The_Exile
06-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Just called ER to see if I could join in training for a kickabout and a laugh and that but they refused me as well.

Raging.

Aye but you're just a radge fae Danderhall, whereas Deek is a......radge fae Pilton, I see your point, fair play :greengrin

scott7_0(Prague)

Raging.

:greengrin

Jim44
I have a lot of time for the contribution Riordan made in his two terms with Hibs. However, on the assumption that he will be looking for a club who can at least pay him a healthy sum (well beyond what Hibs could offer) to compensate for the huge drop in wages he will now experience. I think we should draw a heavy line under our business with Riordan and look forward to a new era with Fenlon and co. I would include in that, the refusal to offer him training facilities because his proximity to Hibs will ony serve to promote meaningless thread after thread here about what he might do in the future and also it would foster false hope for some that he might be about to return to ER. At his age he will still be looking to consolidate his 'pension' and he won't do that at Hibs. The only slight chance of seeing him back at ER in the future will be if we are in the luxurious position of taking him on for 'old time's sake' in the twilight of his career. Thanks for everything Derek, but get on your bike and find a club which will be mutually beneficial to you both.

MSK
06-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Raging.Ach was gonna pop doon wi my bro see if we could get a cock & a hen ..nae point now ..

Albion Hibs
06-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Perhaps the management team dont want to let him train incase they see what would happen if we could take a good corner / free kick!!

It is possible that Riordan, having come off the back of a huge increase in wages is not that bothered about what he may or may not be offered. Put another way, he moved away for money, he is back already, maybe he will take what he has and think things could be a lot worse than playing for Hibs.

I would take him back, but not if he way to be played on the left wing, up front and up front only.

Kammy1875
06-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Pathetic that a player who gave so much to the club in his career is not allowed to use the training facilities. :agree:

IWasThere2016
06-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Raging.

Aye - but you're pish :wink: :greengrin

IWasThere2016
06-12-2011, 11:49 AM

He's telt tae bolt. Simples.

scott7_0(Prague)
06-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Pathetic that a player who gave so much to the club in his career is not allowed to use the training facilities. :agree:

Why, do you have something that can back your opinion up or you thinking out loud.

Mac
06-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Certainly in the past there have been a number of players who were permitted to train, GOC was certainly one of them, i am guessing (if this is true as no one really knows if it is or not) that because he is a free agent and the possibility that he could join another SPL club would mean the new Manager might not be overly keen for him to be involved, although rumours but Ragers and others have muted an interest, sure all the new ideas/tactics etc woudl want to be kept close to his chest!!

Just a thought, either that or he and Colin are very good buddies and therefor happier to just train with someone who he knows!!

Kammy1875
06-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Why, do you have something that can back your opinion up or you thinking out loud.

Thinking out load, which is my opinion :aok:

Jones28
06-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Hibs do look after there own. He's had 2 opportunities at Hibs and left them both at the end of his contract.

O'Connor came back after a few years away and after training with Hibs signed a contract with us.

Said it before and I'll say it again, I do not want Riordan back at ER. He was absolute gash the last few months he had with us and it looks as though his spell in China hasn't encouraged him to change at all regarding work ethic etc. He was outstanding for Hibs in his younger days but now it's time for us and him to sever any ideas of him playing for us.

Thanks for the memories Deek! :flag:

KeithTheHibby
06-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Why?

He is not a Hibs player, he only recently left us, we are currently in turmoil and have just employed a new manager. Why would it be of any interest to hibs to have Deek training with us?

If you put aside the fact that he played for us twice would you have any objections to someone who is 28 and scored 100 goals in the SPL and without a club training for us?

Didn't think so.

easty
06-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Hibs do look after there own. He's had 2 opportunities at Hibs and left them both at the end of his contract.

O'Connor came back after a few years away and after training with Hibs signed a contract with us.

Said it before and I'll say it again, I do not want Riordan back at ER. He was absolute gash the last few months he had with us and it looks as though his spell in China hasn't encouraged him to change at all regarding work ethic etc. He was outstanding for Hibs in his younger days but now it's time for us and him to sever any ideas of him playing for us.

Wasn't O'Connor training with Celtc?

I'd be happy to have him along at East Mains, and for Fenlon to have a look at him. If the new manager won't even take a look at him closely then I'd be dissapointed. If Riordan was invited to train with Hibs, under Fenlon, and then it was decided he wasn't wanted/needed, then I'd trust the manager to have done the right thing.

Genuine talent, SPL class, available for free.

Baker9
06-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Ach was gonna pop doon wi my bro see if we could get a cock & a hen ..nae point now ..

Ahh. Wasn't life so much simpler then. No money, no worry. Jumpers for goalposts, three an' in, keppies at bools. street take-ons, kick the can, ello ello bonefire night. Trillions in debt now and a trillion is very big.

Baker9
06-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Aye but you're just a radge fae Danderhall, whereas Deek is a......radge fae Pilton, I see your point, fair play :greengrin

People from East Pilton and even some from West Pilton will resent the above suggestion. People from Muirhouse will be delighted to claim him ('claim him' meant in the sense of ... 'as one of their own'):greengrin.

Kammy1875
06-12-2011, 12:36 PM
If you put aside the fact that he played for us twice would you have any objections to someone who is 28 and scored 100 goals in the SPL and without a club training for us?

Didn't think so.

Exactly. The folk that are against him training with the club obviously don't want him back and that's fair enough but he contributed to many a great time with us in the past and just because he wasn't good in his final season doesn't mean we should just tell him to bolt if asking to use our facilities.

Andy74
06-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Exactly. The folk that are against him training with the club obviously don't want him back and that's fair enough but he contributed to many a great time with us in the past and just because he wasn't good in his final season doesn't mean we should just tell him to bolt if asking to use our facilities.

We've got pretty important work to get on with though haven't we?

I'd prefer if our sessions were focused on winning the games ahead of us and staying in the league.

I don't see why we'd want someone involved that isn't part of what we are trying to do.

easty
06-12-2011, 12:40 PM

I'd prefer if our sessions were focused on winning the games ahead of us and staying in the league.

I don't see why we'd want someone involved that isn't part of what we are trying to do.

But Riordan could be part of that..:agree:

silverhibee
06-12-2011, 12:41 PM

Hibs in the past have allowed players to use EM to keep fitness levels up.

SlickShoes
06-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Didn't think so.

At this stage in the season, yes. If this was the summer I would let him come in and train.

You also can't just dismiss the fact that he only just left hibs in the summer. His form in the last year or so has not been great. If Pat Fenlon thinks that Derek should be training with hibs then fair enough, but until that happens to basically say its an insult hes not training with us is ridiculous.

Lets have the new manager make the decisions on what training is like without forcing ex players on him.

MSK
06-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Hibs in the past have allowed players to use EM to keep fitness levels up.Any of whom have joined a rival club & rammed it up us ..?

I wished folk would stop living in the past ..he done this he done that ..deek has moved on ..why dont we ..?

Ps ..whats Goram up tae nowadays ...:greengrin

JimBHibees
06-12-2011, 12:51 PM

Completely agree. Vital to the club that the manager and his coaches get the team motivated and organised for what is an important part of the season.

Sounds like the decision was made prior to PF taking over anyway. Not a big deal I am sure Deek can get another club to give him training facilities.

judas
06-12-2011, 12:52 PM

Any idea why? Anyone?

silverhibee
06-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Would you be saying that if hibs kept him fit until he signs for say St mirren in jan & rattles a couple past us ..:wink:

Im a deeks fan btw but he has gone ..he wants to try something else so good luck to him wherever he ends up ..

Hibs were quite happy to offer training facilities to a player in the summer but that player turned it down to go train with another club in Scotland, at that time that player as far as i know wasn't intending to get a contract with Hibs, you probaly know the rest. :greengrin

He probaly does want to try something else but needs to keep fit until the January window, he is only looking for somewhere to train, since he is a local lad and played most of his career at Hibs and scored 104 goals for the Hibs a few weeks of training would do no one any harm, and would be a nice gesture from the club.

LancashireHibby
06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I think now isn't the right time for him to be training with our squad as PF will have enough on his plate trying to change the culture in the squad. I've no great objection to Deek training with us in a few weeks time once things have settled down though, and only on the premise that we have first dibs on him and that he has to just get his head down and do the work and earn any potential contract.

MSK
06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Hibs were quite happy to offer training facilities to a player in the summer but that player turned it down to go train with another club in Scotland, at that time that player as far as i know wasn't intending to get a contract with Hibs, you probaly know the rest. :greengrin

He probaly does want to try something else but needs to keep fit until the January window, he is only looking for somewhere to train, since he is a local lad and played most of his career at Hibs and scored 104 goals for the Hibs a few weeks of training would do no one any harm, and would be a nice gesture from the club.Has he tried Spartans ..?...:greengrin

silverhibee
06-12-2011, 12:58 PM

Never heard of him being disruptive in his last spell at Hibs when training, heard he was a good trainer.

MSK
06-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Never heard of him being disruptive in his last spell at Hibs when training, heard he was a good trainer.New career perhaps ..?...:greengrin

heretoday
06-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Of course he can train providing he pays the going rate for use of facilities.

JimBHibees
06-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Nowt like a Deek thread to polarise opinions even when he isnt even with the club. :greengrin

The_Exile
06-12-2011, 01:06 PM
It's just the opportunity to use the training facilities and some familiar surroundings, I don't see what the fuss is about, we're not signing him so nobody has to worry about anything like that, it'll just be to purely help with his fitness, even if he went and signed for Rangers and scored 5 against us, what does that matter, the laddie just wants to train!!!!!

Spike Mandela
06-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Have him back in a heartbeat. 100+ goals. Rather have an underperforming Riordan in my team than a busting a gut Agogo anyday.

Bayern Bru
06-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Riccarton's free, apparently. :greengrin

Saorsa
06-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Any of whom have joined a rival club & rammed it up us ..?

I wished folk would stop living in the past ..he done this he done that ..deek has moved on ..why dont we ..?

Ps ..whats Goram up tae nowadays ...:greengrinwhich one? :greengrin

Judas Iscariot
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM

Raging.

That's funny as **** btw, good job :aok:

silverhibee
06-12-2011, 01:31 PM
People from East Pilton and even some from West Pilton will resent the above suggestion. People from Muirhouse will be delighted to claim him ('claim him' meant in the sense of ... 'as one of their own'):greengrin.

Its all a myth, he was brought up in Granton. :greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
06-12-2011, 01:48 PM
no. don't want him back.
New era time now.

Captain Trips
06-12-2011, 01:56 PM
IMO Riordan would be excellent to have onboard again. IMO not all our forwards are better so he would add better quality. When Hibs are doing well enough to not think about Riordan adding to team then we will have a great team. We are miles off that.

Judas Iscariot
06-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Of course we don't need him, it's not like we've only scored 16 goals in the league this season or that...

We're clearly blessed with natural goalscoring talent throughout the squad :agree:

Lofarl
06-12-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't buy this he's one of our own guff, so what. Does that mean that because I'm Hibs daft I can just hop over to East Mains and use the facilities? No. East Mains should only be used by employees only.

Yes it would be nice to see Deek play for us again. But it's not going to happen and nor should it considering our finishing place the last two years. I know it's not all Deeks fault but he bears some responsibility.

Sammy7nil
06-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't buy this he's one of our own guff, so what. Does that mean that because I'm Hibs daft I can just hop over to East Mains and use the facilities? No. East Mains should only be used by employees only.

Yes it would be nice to see Deek play for us again. But it's not going to happen and nor should it considering our finishing place the last two years. I know it's not all Deeks fault but he bears some responsibility.

I would say No

But

If you were 28 scored over 100 goals and looking for a club I might let you train.
Infact I may offer you contract on pay as you play basis until 30.01.12.

Baker9
06-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Its all a myth, he was brought up in Granton. :greengrin

So the whole Muirhouse thing is an urban myth? Did he never stay there?

WindyMiller
06-12-2011, 04:57 PM

:agree:

Enough's enough.

WindyMiller
06-12-2011, 05:00 PM

He's not short of cash and can afford a coach.

snooky
06-12-2011, 05:03 PM
which one? :greengrin

:greengrin

WindyMiller
06-12-2011, 05:04 PM

He probaly does want to try something else but needs to keep fit until the January window, he is only looking for somewhere to train, since he is a local lad and played most of his career at Hibs and scored 104 goals for the Hibs a few weeks of training would do no one any harm, and would be a nice gesture from the club.

We realise you don't like GO, now give it a rest

KeithTheHibby
06-12-2011, 05:56 PM
At this stage in the season, yes. If this was the summer I would let him come in and train.

You also can't just dismiss the fact that he only just left hibs in the summer. His form in the last year or so has not been great. If Pat Fenlon thinks that Derek should be training with hibs then fair enough, but until that happens to basically say its an insult hes not training with us is ridiculous.

Lets have the new manager make the decisions on what training is like without forcing ex players on him.

I don't really see the difference in all honesty between summer and now.

I also don't see the harm in it. Riordan keeps fit, Fenlon gets to have a look at a 100 plus striker who is available for free, it could be win win.

We also need to remember that Griffiths could be offski come January which means we would be left with GoC as our only scoring striker.

I am not advocating a return for Deek in a contract sense however I don't think as a club we should look a gift horse in the mouth.

1two
06-12-2011, 05:56 PM
The team are in a transitional period with the manager openly stating we need to change the culture of playing staff.
I'm not suggesting Derek was a part of the bad culture we keep hearing about, but I'm not suggesting he wasn't either.

We need to chop any links to that era of only a few weeks ago , which dates back to mowbrays time and move on.

Getting rid of the coaches in Evans and stevenson were the first step.

Bringing back deek would be counter productive at the moment.

If he's needing somewhere to train next summer, still without a club and we've managed to turn a corner then by all means invite him to use our facilities. By that time he would hopefully be returning to a very much different club that he left just a year before.

silverhibee
06-12-2011, 06:28 PM
So the whole Muirhouse thing is an urban myth? Did he never stay there?

Yes.

silverhibee
06-12-2011, 06:31 PM
We realise you don't like GO, now give it a rest

I have nothing against the big guy, so why dont you give it a rest.

bigwheel
06-12-2011, 07:01 PM
I can understand Deek being disappointed at not getting training facilities....at the end of the day though the management team have the right to refuse. As long as they are doing it with the teams best interest in mind, I have no problem with that..

Good luck to Deek - hope he secures a good club.

tamig
06-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Wasn't O'Connor training with Celtc?

I'd be happy to have him along at East Mains, and for Fenlon to have a look at him. If the new manager won't even take a look at him closely then I'd be dissapointed. If Riordan was invited to train with Hibs, under Fenlon, and then it was decided he wasn't wanted/needed, then I'd trust the manager to have done the right thing.

Genuine talent, SPL class, available for free.

Aye but you're not in charge. If PF fancies him, then only then will he be offered any facilities. Nowt to do with sentiment. And GOC earned us the first of a steady stream of top dollar transfer fees.

lucky
06-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Deek has chosen to leave Hibs twice so why should we give him training facilities. As for resigning him again its a no from me. Thanks for your goals and time but not a 3rd time

jdships
06-12-2011, 07:44 PM

:thumbsup:
He " made his bed let him lie on it " :na na:

Bishop Hibee
06-12-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm happy for Fenlon to watch him train and make a decision which I will support either way.

silverhibee
06-12-2011, 07:57 PM
:thumbsup:
He " made his bed let him lie on it " :na na:

:rolleyes: :na na: :cb

Jones28
06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Some fans seem to only be focussed on how he played when he was a youngster. He had pace, he could run at players and beat them and was without doubt the best of the "Golden Generation" IMHO.

He came back to Hibs and was OK for a season but deteriorated and did nothing. I'd love Deek to be the player he was, but he's just not. Let bygones be bygones and good memories remain good memories :not worth

staunchhibby
06-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Dont see why he should not be given training facilities.Others have been allowed

silverhibee
06-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Some fans seem to only be focussed on how he played when he was a youngster. He had pace, he could run at players and beat them and was without doubt the best of the "Golden Generation" IMHO.

He came back to Hibs and was OK for a season but deteriorated and did nothing. I'd love Deek to be the player he was, but he's just not. Let bygones be bygones and good memories remain good memories :not worth

Second season 17 goals and helped get the team get in to Europe.

Third season not his best but still managed to finish the season Hibs top goal scorer and that represents did nothing to you.

Still agree with what you say but not the bit in bold. :greengrin