PDA

View Full Version : NHC Jay Spearing red card

hibeemikey21
05-12-2011, 11:57 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15914767.stm

Didn't see the game tonight but couldn't help but chuckle when I saw the wording under the photo! To anyone that watched the game, was it really a controversial red?! It says in the article that he won the ball, but even still, that looks like a horrendous 2-footer!

Hibbyradge
06-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Winning the ball is irrelevant if the tackle is reckless or dangerous.

I'm constantly gobsmacked at the level of ignorance of the laws of football, particularly from managers, pundits and players.

Sir David Gray
06-12-2011, 12:18 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15914767.stm

Didn't see the game tonight but couldn't help but chuckle when I saw the wording under the photo! To anyone that watched the game, was it really a controversial red?! It says in the article that he won the ball, but even still, that looks like a horrendous 2-footer!

When I saw it live, I said straight away that he could be off, however, having seen it again on several occasions and from different angles, he's extremely unfortunate to be given a straight red card for that challenge.

20 years ago, he would have been given a man of the match award for that type of challenge.

_hucks_
06-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Perfectly good challenge, for me. the other foot came up long after winning the ball, not dangerously, as part of the lads momentum.

HibeeMG
06-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Two sides to this really.

I'd have been proud to have seen one of our players going into a tackle with 100% conviction to get the ball like that. He got the ball first too.

The problem is that the referee's have been given a directive to stamp (pardon the pun) out reckless tackles. The way that Spearing went into the Fulham player with studs showing, even although he got the ball, means it was reckless. Basically, you're supposed to win the ball cleanly these days.

Winston Ingram
06-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Straight red. ****in stupid challenge. Could have won the ball easily but had to add some ridiculous follow through. Should be fined as well

easty
06-12-2011, 09:27 AM
It was a good tackle. If Spearing had won the ball with his studs then went into the Fulham player then the red card would be fair. He didn't though, he went in to a challenge strongly, but fairly, and won the ball with the inside of his foot. It was unfortunate that his follow through caught the Fulham player, shouldnt be shown a red card for it though. It wasn't intentionalm, if he intended to nail the boy then he would have went through the ball with his studs too.

Lendo
06-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Cost me £150 on my coupon!!!!!!!!

Hibbyradge
06-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Cost me £150 on my coupon!!!!!!!!

Botox?

Scouse Hibee
06-12-2011, 09:50 AM
As Dalglish said, "he won the ball but upset the ref with the follow through sometimes it's a red sometimes it's not".

I don't think we can ever get 100% consistancy from refs regarding challenges like that, that's football and we love it.

jdships
06-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Winning the ball is irrelevant if the tackle is reckless or dangerous.

I'm constantly gobsmacked at the level of ignorance of the laws of football, particularly from managers, pundits and players.

Are you saying you are THE expert on the " laws of football " on this forum ? :greengrin
Good to know someone knows what they are talking about :wink::rolleyes:

As to the tackle - Ref " played it as he saw it " no replays for him , fair enough.
Still think after "X" replays from "Y" angles he was a tadge unlucky to " see red"

Hibbyradge
06-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Are you saying you are THE expert on the " laws of football " on this forum ? :greengrin
Good to know someone knows what they are talking about :wink::rolleyes:

As to the tackle - Ref " played it as he saw it " no replays for him , fair enough.
Still think after "X" replays from "Y" angles he was a tadge unlucky to " see red"

No, as you well know, that's not what I'm saying, but I'm happy to offer you any advice you may require in future. :na na:

One of the most common irritants for me is when a TV or radio pundit gets indignant because a referee didn't send a player off who was "last man" after he fouled an attacker. Or, indeed, when the ref did send a player off and he wasn't last man.

There is no such rule as "last man". A player should be sent off if he commits an offence to deny an obvious goal scoring opportunity as it is deemed serious foul play.

There are many occasions when this happens despite there being more than one defender between the striker and the goal.

Surely TV pundits who are being paid for their "expert" insight should know the rules.

Geo_1875
06-12-2011, 10:26 AM
As Dalglish said, "he won the ball but upset the ref with the follow through sometimes it's a red sometimes it's not".

I don't think we can ever get 100% consistancy from refs regarding challenges like that, that's football and we love it.

Dalglish said he won the ball and followed through, it wasn't his fault there was someone standing there. Reckless, red card, no doubt.

sambajustice
06-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Dalglish said he won the ball and followed through, it wasn't his fault there was someone standing there. Reckless, red card, no doubt.

I'm not quite understanding this bit. if there wasnt anyone standing there he wouldnt have went in like that! :confused:

Geo_1875
06-12-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm not quite understanding this bit. if there wasnt anyone standing there he wouldnt have went in like that! :confused:

Ask Dalglish, he said it. Maybe he's taking media lessons from Strachan.

Bad Martini
06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Never a straight red. Particularly given some of the other decisions in the game.

Its simple. Lets have consistency or youll get players doing things one week with no reprisals and getting sent of the next.

Pish.

He slid in ,he took the ball first and foremost and aye ,his momentum took the guy anaw. Shame that in modern fitba winning a ****ing tackle gets ye sent off and missing games. Pish in fact.

ENDOF

jdships
06-12-2011, 01:21 PM
No, as you well know, that's not what I'm saying, but I'm happy to offer you any advice you may require in future. :na na:

One of the most common irritants for me is when a TV or radio pundit gets indignant because a referee didn't send a player off who was "last man" after he fouled an attacker. Or, indeed, when the ref did send a player off and he wasn't last man.

There is no such rule as "last man". A player should be sent off if he commits an offence to deny an obvious goal scoring opportunity as it is deemed serious foul play.

There are many occasions when this happens despite there being more than one defender between the striker and the goal.

Surely TV pundits who are being paid for their "expert" insight should know the rules.

Good to know that you are prepared to share your knowledge :wink::greengrin
I can maybe partially clear up the " last man " expression
I was in Alan shearer's company a while back and this , among other things, came up in the conversation.
He maintained that " last man" was an expression created by the media and agreed , like you, that there is no such rule : adding that .
" last man" covers the " ... preventing a goal scoring opportunity " aspect of things and has simply become " a catch phrase "

Andy74
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Following through is something you want to avoid if you can. Only leads to trouble. Particularly in front of millions on TV.

easty
06-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Following through is something you want to avoid if you can. Only leads to trouble. Particularly in front of millions on TV.

I had a mate who followed through at T in the Park a few years ago, that was a very messy affair.

Scouse Hibee
06-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Did he? I never heard him say or saw a quote, I did hear him say what I quoted though.

You say reckless, red card, no doubt, I say fully committed, could have went either way, plenty of doubt as to whether red was correct! No real complaints though as the ref only has one look at it.

Scouse Hibee
06-12-2011, 03:38 PM
I had a mate who followed through at T in the Park a few years ago, that was a very messy affair.

Was it definitely red though????

Scouse Hibee
06-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Good to know that you are prepared to share your knowledge :wink::greengrin
I can maybe partially clear up the " last man " expression
I was in Alan shearer's company a while back and this , among other things, came up in the conversation.
He maintained that " last man" was an expression created by the media and agreed , like you, that there is no such rule : adding that .
" last man" covers the " ... preventing a goal scoring opportunity " aspect of things and has simply become " a catch phrase "

It's good but it's not right!

easty
06-12-2011, 04:24 PM
It's good but it's not right!

Is it "when in Rome, do as the Romans do", Roy?

Sean1875
06-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Liked how Gary Neville described it as an "orange card" some refs will send you off for it others will give you a yellow. Was never a sending off in my eyes though, ball was one cleanly which should be considered first and foremost, footballs a contact sport after all :rolleyes:

Love the Green
06-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Stonewall red card, shocking tackle only intent on injuring an opponent, typical of a few players in the EPL..Evra, Hutton,,Carragher , and Bradsley to name a few every challenge they make they are viciuos and intent on the physiocal side of the game..

Serves him right filthy wee scouse criminal.

"keep the faith"

Sir David Gray
06-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Stonewall red card, shocking tackle only intent on injuring an opponent, typical of a few players in the EPL..Evra, Hutton,,Carragher , and Bradsley to name a few every challenge they make they are viciuos and intent on the physiocal side of the game..

Serves him right filthy wee scouse criminal.

"keep the faith"

Wow...

And I thought I disliked Liverpool! :greengrin

Love the Green
06-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Wow...

And I thought I disliked Liverpool! :greengrin

Evening FalkirkHibee, I thought you hated everyone except United......

keep the faith:wink:

Sir David Gray
06-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Evening FalkirkHibee, I thought you hated everyone except United......

keep the faith:wink:

Not at all.

I reserve special treatment for Hearts, Rangers, Celtic, Liverpool and the other team from Manchester. :greengrin

I have no feelings either way to most other teams.

Mikey
06-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Botox?

Nah, they're permanently wrinkly.

Love the Green
06-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Not at all.

I reserve special treatment for Hearts, Rangers, Celtic, Liverpool and the other team from Manchester. :greengrin

I have no feelings either way to most other teams.

Easy does it there, thought a football man would know only 1 team in Manchester the other 1 is an English assortment..

keep the faith

hibeemikey21
06-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Having now seen the challenge, my thoughts are:

Full speed - simply looks like a fair, crunching, British challenge.

Slow-mo/photographs - red. Both feet went into the challenge and were off the ground. Malice or no malice/won the ball first, it makes no difference. Nowadays its a nailed-on red.

Credit to the ref for spotting it IMO.