PDA

View Full Version : Rangers, and how to undo them

bigkenny
05-12-2011, 07:15 PM
In a post-match interview after the famous Sproule match, I remember one player commenting that instead of marking Barry Ferguson, the Hibs tactic to nullify his passing capability was to close down his options and man-mark all the other opposition players. That, combined with the 4-5-1 that saw Riordan missing completely and O'Connor up front alone, kept things tight, frustrated Rangers :na na: and built the platform for Garry O's replacement to do his amazing scoring freely in Glasgow trick, and send 40,000 Rangers Fans away home scunnered :bye:

Fast forward to 2011, and what tactics would YOU play against our Glasgow visitors, accepting that GIR*UY is a tad simplistic :dunno: Would you go for 4-4-2, 4-5-1, or Fenlon's 4-2-3-1?

What tactics do Rangers normally play away from home :dunno: and what do the normally play against us? Who are their biggest threats (apart from HMRC!) and how deep should we play? Should the formation fit the players, or fit the need? Do we need to speed it up or slow it down? :bucksfizz:

Mark79
05-12-2011, 08:30 PM
With the skill in our team we should set 9 men on marking jelavic and the get gaz to mark the rest in a lone role. No venturing past the half way line though as that may confuse them.

yekimevol
05-12-2011, 08:45 PM
i would like to see us attack them in a 442 they have been weaker than normal recently and just got past the pars.

thou im willing to trust paddy on this one.

:pfgwa:pfgwa:pfgwa

SanFranHibs
06-12-2011, 12:33 AM
I would just give them the ball !!! :wink:

Also, confuse Rangers by hiding the penalty spot !!!

Agree that Jelavic is their biggest threat, although I confess to not having seen much of Rangers this season.

:flag:

SteveHFC
06-12-2011, 12:35 AM
They will end up getting a penalty. :rolleyes:

frazeHFC
06-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Before i start, can i just say that i hate Rangers with a passion. McGreggor, Laugherty, Jelavic........hate them with a passion. :grr:

I would have a similar system to Friday with Osbourne and Griffiths having a sort of 'free roam' type role. They both did very well. Stevenson and Spoony need to get tight and put tackles in. Then we cannot afford to pass up opportunities or give away stupid goals or set-pieces.

SIMPLES!

Hibercelona
06-12-2011, 01:55 AM
I can see this one being a defencive game.

I reckon we'll frustrate them and try to catch them on the break.

I predict a 1-1 draw.

pentlando
06-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Mark everyone except mcculloch and edu, those two are ridiculously rigid for central midfielders and have the ability to lose a game individually!