PDA

View Full Version : Was there a minutes applause for Gary Speed on Friday?

RCNG
05-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Anyone able to tell me?

LancashireHibby
05-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Yes there was.

frazeHFC
05-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Yeah, and 'Speedo' was sung which was good too.

Brummie_Hibs
05-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Is there going to be one for Socrates this weekend?

RCNG
05-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Cheers guys

Cabbage East
05-12-2011, 12:04 PM

You would think so.

Geo_1875
05-12-2011, 01:09 PM

And probably one for every former player that passes away.

soupy
05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Is there going to be one for Socrates this weekend? I hope so, it was the mighty cabbage who taught him how to play :-)

Hibernia Na Eir
05-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah, and 'Speedo' was sung which was good too. good stuff

Brummie_Hibs
05-12-2011, 01:27 PM
And probably one for every former player that passes away.
Would that be every former Hibs player, or former Scottish player? Or maybe world player? Or a player that has played in Scotland, or maybe just the UK?

Do they have to be still active in the game, or can they be long forgotten. Do they need to be a legend or just a nice guy?

Whatsmore, Diana, Princess of all things wonderful and good, got 2 minutes of a piper in Aberdeen at the Scotland game, and even got the game moved, yet I don't remember Mother Teresa even getting a mention in the match programme!

I'm kinda confused as to who deserves a mark of respect....

LancashireHibby
05-12-2011, 01:31 PM
I think it was only right that there was a minute's respect for Speed as a current UK international manager but I agree sometimes the boundaries as to who 'qualifies' for them are blurred at best.

PeeJay
05-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Is it just me? I was really touched by the first minute's silence for Speed (at the Swansea game I think?) - because it was SILENT, only for it to be "lessened" IMO by people then resorting to applause and singing his name - I felt the silence was so much more dignified - is this just old fuddy duddy syndrome on my part? :confused:

Scouse Hibee
05-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Is it just me? I was really touched by the first minute's silence for Speed (at the Swansea game I think?) - because it was SILENT, only for it to be "lessened" IMO by people then resorting to applause and singing his name - I felt the silence was so much more dignified - is this just old fuddy duddy syndrome on my part? :confused:

No I'm with you on that, just sad that society today has dictated otherwise!

Future17
05-12-2011, 07:14 PM

I like the applause. I think football fans should remember football heroes in the way they celebrate them during their careers - applause and chanting.

That being said, I do think that there is an argument for reinforcing the point that life is more important than football by doing something unfootballesque (such as silence) as a mark of respect.

I think, in recent years, a pattern has developed whereby the manner of the death dictates the appropriate way to fill the "minute". End of a long life naturally, long-term disease etc. = applause. Sudden and tragic = silence. Gary Speed's death may be the exception to that rule, however I don't think any one of us is any closer to understanding it than we were last weekend, so maybe that's the reason it was applause on this occasion.

Broken Gnome
05-12-2011, 07:22 PM
I like the applause. I think football fans should remember football heroes in the way they celebrate them during their careers - applause and chanting.

That being said, I do think that there is an argument for reinforcing the point that life is more important than football by doing something unfootballesque (such as silence) as a mark of respect.

I think, in recent years, a pattern has developed whereby the manner of the death dictates the appropriate way to fill the "minute". End of a long life naturally, long-term disease etc. = applause. Sudden and tragic = silence. Gary Speed's death may be the exception to that rule, however I don't think any one of us is any closer to understanding it than we were last weekend, so maybe that's the reason it was applause on this occasion.

Applause is just about ok, though this universal singing during those periods though comes across as tacky as hell.

The George Best one against Rangers was fitting, it was impromptu and seemed to best suit the occasion. Since the first Swansea commemoration though it's like every set of supporters feels the need to sing 'one Gary Speed' regardless of connection to the man, almost as if to look good compared to other fans they've heard on the TV.

Danderhall Hibs
05-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Applause is just about ok, though this universal singing during those periods though comes across as tacky as hell.

The George Best one against Rangers was fitting, it was impromptu and seemed to best suit the occasion. Since the first Swansea commemoration though it's like every set of supporters feels the need to sing 'one Gary Speed' regardless of connection to the man, almost as if to look good compared to other fans they've heard on the TV.

Agreed. I can understand the Leeds, Newcastle and Everton (plus any other club he has a connection with) fans singing his name but can't see why it was done anywhere else.

Bring back the silence!

Geo_1875
05-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't understand why we need to commemerate the passing of an unconnected footballer turned manager who's death, though tragic, was not even fully investigated at the time. If, after investigation, it turns out to be the suicide of a guilty conscience do we then get our minute back.

marinello59
05-12-2011, 08:28 PM
I don't understand why we need to commemerate the passing of an unconnected footballer turned manager who's death, though tragic, was not even fully investigated at the time. If, after investigation, it turns out to be the suicide of a guilty conscience do we then get our minute back.

:rolleyes:

Alfred E Newman
05-12-2011, 08:33 PM

I agree with you. I stood in silence on Friday as the authorities had asked but I could not bring myself to applaud someone who had hung himself knowing that his wife or sons would probably find him.

Titch
05-12-2011, 09:03 PM
I agree with you. I stood in silence on Friday as the authorities had asked but I could not bring myself to applaud someone who had hung himself knowing that his wife or sons would probably find him.

:agree:
as a father of four with many problems in my life i find it hard to feel sorry for ANYONE that has taken their own life whatever the reason.
i would however have stood in silence / appluaded if i was at the game

Future17
05-12-2011, 10:08 PM

I know it was a danger from the OP, but can we avoid this thread going the way of the original Gary Speed thread please.