PDA

View Full Version : NHC Still not good enough for Scotland ?

down-the-slope
04-12-2011, 06:48 PM
:rolleyes:.....Fletch scores another 2 goals....Levein needs to find a way of resolving this...

Billy Whizz
04-12-2011, 06:51 PM
:rolleyes:.....Fletch scores another 2 goals....Levein needs to find a way of resolving this...

Yes resign please

Jonnyboy
04-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Agreed but it's a two way thing mind. Fletch could text to say he's back on board or Levein could do likewise. Am not backing Levein here as I think he's a turnip but Fletch needs to grow up too

leither17
04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
manager should lead by example and make the first move but fletch should do the same its only hurting scotland

MSK
04-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Agreed but it's a two way thing mind. Fletch could text to say he's back on board or Levein could do likewise. Am not backing Levein here as I think he's a turnip but Fletch needs to grow up tooBoth need tae grow a set of balls !!! :agree:

SteveHFC
04-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Yes resign please

This :aok:

Bostonhibby
04-12-2011, 07:20 PM

:agree: He is, he says all Driver needs is games and he will be back in the squad :rolleyes:.

Scouse Hibee
04-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Not sure exactly what happened here, did Fletcher txt Potter to tell him he wasn't interested in playing again? If that was the case then I would back the manager in ignoring Fletch until Fletch himself asks to come back surely that's the right stance to take!

Winston Ingram
04-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Both goals were very good but the 2nd was a top class finish

Gatecrasher
04-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Maybe fletch is no that bothered, he's doing the biz down south and not having to play additional (some meaningless) games probably helps

nortonhibby
04-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Potter is a turd whilst that clown is in charge we are doomed to failure the man has not got a clue:flag:

HibeeMG
04-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Not sure exactly what happened here, did Fletcher txt Potter to tell him he wasn't interested in playing again? If that was the case then I would back the manager in ignoring Fletch until Fletch himself asks to come back surely that's the right stance to take!

Fletch texted to say he didn't want to play in the Nations Cup (or whatever it was called) as Wolves were involved in some important games. Potter took the huff because he texted and didn't call.

Capt Mainwaring
04-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Fletcher needs to grow up , come out of his juvenile huff and tell the Scotland Manager he's been a bit of an Erse and would quite like to be selected to play for his country again.

Love the Green
04-12-2011, 07:34 PM

Think he actually asked not to be selected for a particular game and not as you say not interested in playing again.

Surely as the manager is older and wiser he could/should be able to sort out issues like this, one call is all that is required and if Fletch says no then that would be the end for him...I am sure if Miller, Caldwell of the other Fletcher declared they did not want to be selected for a particular game they would not be treated in this way.

"keep the faith"

McSwanky
04-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Frankly, I'm sick of hearing this story. It's like something out of a primary school playground (if the reports are accurate, which there's every possibility of them not being). It's about time everyone took a deep breath and started acting like adults. Or is that asking too much?

Hainan Hibs
04-12-2011, 07:43 PM
As I read elsewhere qualification is far more important than two over inflated egos.

Levein isn't a 20 odd year old lad. He's a manager of the national team. He should drop the ego, and give Fletcher a call and clarify the situation. He doesn't even have to make a big song and dance about it, just get it done, and get Fletcher in the squad in time for the campaign. If Fletch says no, Levein clears himself of any blame.

Would love to see a partnership of Miller and Fletcher up front at Hampden, however I accept thinking 2 up front could win us games is a far too radical opinion for the current management team to consider:greengrin

Future17
04-12-2011, 07:45 PM
No real point in discussing this. Even if whatever silly dispute occured was resolved and Fletcher was called up to Scotland squads, Levein wouldn't play him in the system he uses. If he did make an appearance, it would be off the bench for a token few minutes.

Levein has made it clear that he feels he doesn't need Fletcher. He has Miller, CMS and Rhodes on the way through.

The only way Fletcher will play for Scotland again is under a new manager. Unfortunately, I think Levein will be in that job for many years.

matty_f
04-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Fletcher dropped out a squad and can't get a look-in, Drvier played for bloody England and gets told he just needs games. GTF Potter, ya welt.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Not condoning what Fletcher has or has not done, but there are always ways around things. As long as Alan McGregor pulls on the jersey as the Scotland manager's first choice goalkeeper, then I think it is a fair assumption that the Fletcher situation is personal.

Winston Ingram
04-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Fletch texted to say he didn't want to play in the Nations Cup (or whatever it was called) as Wolves were involved in some important games. Potter took the huff because he texted and didn't call.

He texted the kitman:agree:

HibeeMG
04-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Probably because Potter didn't give his number out to any player that's been associated with us and not the OF.

Hibs Class
04-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Not condoning what Fletcher has or has not done, but there are always ways around things. As long as Alan McGregor pulls on the jersey as the Scotland manager's first choice goalkeeper, then I think it is a fair assumption that the Fletcher situation is personal.

:agree:IIRC Levein asked Ferguson to play for Scotland again. Although Ferguson turned him down the key point is that Levein made the first move.

Elephant Stone
04-12-2011, 08:26 PM
For a manager who was desperate to get Barry the Crab and Alan McGregor back in the team after their antics under a different manager I think it's safe to say he's putting his personal pride ahead of what's best for the team here. Sour faced sack of misery.

The Green Goblin
04-12-2011, 08:32 PM
If I recall correctly, Fletcher was never given a fair crack at the whip, even when he was in the squad. It seems that even then, being a former Hibs player scoring goals in the EPL wasn't as good as being an over-rated half-crocked Hearts or Dundee Utd player.

He doesn't really have a great incentive to make the first move, does he?

GG

Hibercelona
04-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Fletcher will never get another Scotland game under Potter.

O'Connor would be another great addition to the squad but isn't aloud to on the account of the court cases. Although its ok for Bad Willie to be in the squad because Levein didn't know anything about it.... :rolleyes:

Nuitdelune
04-12-2011, 09:17 PM
If I recall correctly, Fletcher was never given a fair crack at the whip, even when he was in the squad. It seems that even then, being a former Hibs player scoring goals in the EPL wasn't as good as being an over-rated half-crocked Hearts or Dundee Utd player.

He doesn't really have a great incentive to make the first move, does he?

GG

On the other hand, he did have a tendancy to miss and hold his head in his hands, which he did for a while when he went to Wolves but glad to see that Honest Mick has beat that out of him and now he is the damn fine player he should be--it's all in the Manager

iwasthere1972
04-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Agreed but it's a two way thing mind. Fletch could text to say he's back on board or Levein could do likewise. Am not backing Levein here as I think he's a turnip but Fletch needs to grow up too

:agree: The sooner the better.

leither17
04-12-2011, 09:19 PM

that tam mccourt gets about

down-the-slope
04-12-2011, 09:39 PM
I agree that Fletch has been a plum as well...

However I would suggest that Scotland / Levein need Fletch more than the other way round....

Getting international games / recognition used to be the way to a big move...however Fletch has already made it - relatively - big and is in the biggest league in the world...scoring and picking up big wages and admiring looks from clubs further up the tree...

He is also one of the few players who can play lone / wing / withdrawn.. a great asset in a squad, particularly tournaments where numbers are restricted..

Kind of a shame MON has got a new gig, as i feel his experience of EPL / SPL and ability to create solid teams out of mixed ability players would have been worth a shout to get us making tourneys again...

shagpile
04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Fletcher needs to grow up , come out of his juvenile huff and tell the Scotland Manager he's been a bit of an Erse and would quite like to be selected to play for his country again.

That is a given is it not?

Baader
04-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Not getting into the Gorgie mob's squad is more of an achievement than scoring in England's top flight...

At least in Potter's failing eyes

freddie m
05-12-2011, 10:58 AM
According to Fletcher’s agent all Scotland players are informed by text message from the SFA regarding call ups. Fletcher received his for the Carling cup matches, although Wolves were playing a lower league club in the cup that weekend, Fletcher thought he would be better playing in that game to get some match time after injury.

Fletcher did what most would probably have done & replied to the text from the SFA asking to be excluded from that game. He did however explain that Wolves were in a relegation battle, that he would be better achieving fitness in the cup game rather than sitting on the bench for Scotland, also if the Manager required any further information he could call Steven directly.
The following day the Scotland manager is in the press alluding to the fact that Fletcher has said he does not want to play for Scotland, and the Scotland boss knew this because Fletcher sent a text.
Steven Fletcher according to his agent is fuming that he has been made to look like a Charlie big time, when in fact he wants to play for Scotland.
The ball is now firmly in the court of the Scotland camp to address this issue as Fletcher’s camp refuses to contact the SFA.
Remember all the talk and cheap jibes has come from people within the Scotland camp. Fletcher and his associates have remained silent; this says it all to me.

Glory glory
We are Hibernian

:flag::pfgwa:flag:

johnrebus
05-12-2011, 11:14 AM
According to Fletcher’s agent all Scotland players are informed by text message from the SFA regarding call ups. Fletcher received his for the Carling cup matches, although Wolves were playing a lower league club in the cup that weekend, Fletcher thought he would be better playing in that game to get some match time after injury.

Fletcher did what most would probably have done & replied to the text from the SFA asking to be excluded from that game. He did however explain that Wolves were in a relegation battle, that he would be better achieving fitness in the cup game rather than sitting on the bench for Scotland, also if the Manager required any further information he could call Steven directly.
The following day the Scotland manager is in the press alluding to the fact that Fletcher has said he does not want to play for Scotland, and the Scotland boss knew this because Fletcher sent a text.
Steven Fletcher according to his agent is fuming that he has been made to look like a Charlie big time, when in fact he wants to play for Scotland.
The ball is now firmly in the court of the Scotland camp to address this issue as Fletcher’s camp refuses to contact the SFA.
Remember all the talk and cheap jibes has come from people within the Scotland camp. Fletcher and his associates have remained silent; this says it all to me.

Glory glory
We are Hibernian

Sincerely hope that Fletcher continues to refuse to contact Potter. The sooner the Yam jaikie is gone the better it will be for all concerned.

:taxi

Stevie Reid
05-12-2011, 11:36 AM
It's easily resolved, as Scotland manager it is Levein's job to pick the best players available to him, and he should pick Fletcher for the next squad for that reason - if Fletcher then turns round and says that he doesn't want to play, then that's the situation sorted once and for all; if Fletcher joins the group, we have a far stronger squad.

This nonsense that Fletcher needs to be the one to contact him to say that he is available for selection is exactly that - nonsense. Does every other player selected in the national squad have to phone Levein first to say that they are available and want to be picked? Of course not. He went cap in hand to McGregor, Ferguson and Boyd, despite their behaviour being miles away from what Fletcher has done, and it's this inconsistency that bugs me more than anything.

JimBHibees
05-12-2011, 11:45 AM
It's easily resolved, as Scotland manager it is Levein's job to pick the best players available to him, and he should pick Fletcher for the next squad for that reason - if Fletcher then turns round and says that he doesn't want to play, then that's the situation sorted once and for all; if Fletcher joins the group, we have a far stronger squad.

This nonsense that Fletcher needs to be the one to contact him to say that he is available for selection is exactly that - nonsense. Does every other player selected in the national squad have to phone Levein first to say that they are available and want to be picked? Of course not. He went cap in hand to McGregor, Ferguson and Boyd, despite their behaviour being miles away from what Fletcher has done, and it's this inconsistency that bugs me more than anything.

Completely agree. The inconsistency is astonishing. If Fletcher played for one of the OF there is no way on this earth Levein would have treated him the way he has as the press wouldnt have allowed it.

hibsbollah
05-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Sincerely hope that Fletcher continues to refuse to contact Potter. The sooner the Yam jaikie is gone the better it will be for all concerned.:taxi Agree 100%

Bad Martini
05-12-2011, 12:14 PM
How to be both popular and unpopular;
I dont think potter is the man for Scotland. Like burley before him, he seemed like a good bet on paper. Results aside, many have been sheer luck, hes a boring gitt with a ***** selection policy. And i am one of the minority who DO follow the national team regardless of personnel.

I dont think Fletcher is all that either. Seen him bottle it a few times in the Scotland shirt where he couldve done better. I dont think his being missing from the team is the end of the world. That said, i do think potter is a prick and the issue here is 50/50.

Both tits if they genuinely believe in the good of the national team tho yet wont back down due to pride....

Albion Hibs
05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
I think that this will be the decision which in the long run costs Levein his position, which in some ways makes it even sweeter.

If he can fly around the country begging Wee Barry and McGregor to come back and petitioning in the papers for Driver to get a game, then surely he can pick up the phone and ask Fletcher if he wants a game, I dont think it has to be anymore than that, no apologies needed, just a simple lets get on with things.

I dare say fletcher could not give a flying on, and I am glad he is focusing on his club football and doing well.

Saorsa
05-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Was it not the case Fletch was texted and asked tae play and he simply replied tae that text. He asked no tae play in one meaningless game so he could concentrate on doing his best at an important time for his club.

Fletcher needs to grow up , come out of his juvenile huff and tell the Scotland Manager he's been a bit of an Erse and would quite like to be selected to play for his country again.I think he should tell the Scotland manager he's an erse too. It's Potter that needs tae grow up, 47 and acting like bairn.

Not condoning what Fletcher has or has not done, but there are always ways around things. As long as Alan McGregor pulls on the jersey as the Scotland manager's first choice goalkeeper, then I think it is a fair assumption that the Fletcher situation is personal.:agree:

For a manager who was desperate to get Barry the Crab and Alan McGregor back in the team after their antics under a different manager I think it's safe to say he's putting his personal pride ahead of what's best for the team here. Sour faced sack of misery.Totally agree

This nonsense that Fletcher needs to be the one to contact him to say that he is available for selection is exactly that - nonsense. Does every other player selected in the national squad have to phone Levein first to say that they are available and want to be picked? Of course not. He went cap in hand to McGregor, Ferguson and Boyd, despite their behaviour being miles away from what Fletcher has done, and it's this inconsistency that bugs me more than anything.Exactly, he can go crawling tae that lot but Fletcher is the devil incarnate. Makes it seem personal. As far as I'm concerned Fletcher has done nothing and Potter is being a prick. Sooner he's gone the better

Completely agree. The inconsistency is astonishing. If Fletcher played for one of the OF there is no way on this earth Levein would have treated him the way he has as the press wouldnt have allowed it.:agree:

**** off Potter

Andy74
05-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Unsurprisingly going to go against the tide here and suggest that from what I've heard the ball is in Fletcher's court on this one.

I generally don't like Levein but I think he us right on this one.

SteveHFC
05-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Harry Potter is an awful manager. He is an trampy specky four-eyed Hearts ****. :agree:

Onceinawhile
05-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Didn't fletcher do an interview fairly recently saying he was available for selection?
it will also be interesting to see how potter reacts to houston asking not to be considered for the Cyprus friendly. Presumably he will also be ostracised.

Dashing Bob S
05-12-2011, 05:43 PM
If Messi was born in EH6 and grew up a Hibs fan, Potter would be touting Gary Glen in his stead.

The man's a troll.

jacomo
05-12-2011, 08:38 PM

:agree: 100%.

What's more, Scotland need Fletcher a lot more than Fletcher needs Scotland - I'm glad that he wants to play for the National side, but his club career is going just fine without it.

Someone else at the SFA should be telling Levein to man up, drop his petty row, and get on the phone to SF. His job probably depends upon it.

Stevie Reid
06-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Levein was happy to pick Craig Mackail-Smith when he was playing in League One, just as Jordan Rhodes is - Jamie Mackie was first picked when playing in the Championship, much like Kenny Miller is now.

Fletch's goals to starts in the Premiership for Wolves is goals 15 in 22.

Even including his season when Burnley were relegated, it's 23 goals in 57 starts.

Stevie Reid
06-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Levein was happy to pick Craig Mackail-Smith when he was playing in League One, just as Jordan Rhodes is - Jamie Mackie was first picked when playing in the Championship, much like Kenny Miller is now.

Fletch's goals to starts in the Premiership for Wolves is goals 15 in 22.

Even including his season when Burnley were relegated, it's 23 goals in 57 starts.

I might add that had Fletcher gone with his country of birth I would imagine that he would be being touted for a place in the England squad right now, when you consider that the likes of Bobby Zamora and Kevin Davies have recently been capped.

The fact that the Scotland manager will not pick him is laughable.

H18sry
06-12-2011, 12:40 PM

Glory glory
We are Hibernian

Not quite right Wolves had games against Manure and Arsenal either side of the Irish game :wink:

Dashing Bob S
06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I might add that had Fletcher gone with his country of birth I would imagine that he would be being touted for a place in the England squad right now, when you consider that the likes of Bobby Zamora and Kevin Davies have recently been capped.

The fact that the Scotland manager will not pick him is laughable.

Very good point, Stevie. This really illustrates how Potter represents the very worst side of Scotland; petty, jealous, arrogant, self-serving, full of prejudices unfathomable to the outside world, and desperate to shoot himself in the foot at any given opportunity.

I'm no fan of the international set up - in fact I pretty much detest it - but even I have to say that we deserve better.

Stevie Reid
06-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Very good point, Stevie. This really illustrates how Potter represents the very worst side of Scotland; petty, jealous, arrogant, self-serving, full of prejudices unfathomable to the outside world, and desperate to shoot himself in the foot at any given opportunity.

I'm no fan of the international set up - in fact I pretty much detest it - but even I have to say that we deserve better.

Same here Bob - maybe if I thought that the players representing Scotland were the best that we had available I might feel differently, but that never seems to be the case.

We lament the loss of the likes of McGeady and James McCarthy, yet have an international manager who has is happy to ignore a striker whose Premiership scoring record is truly alongside the best in the world.