PDA

View Full Version : January signing targets

Billy Whizz
04-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Was listening to an interview with Pat Fenlon on BBC Sportsound this week. He was asked about signing "Irish" players. He ruled that out as he wanted players who knew the SPL.
Anyone got any thoughts who we may be interested in?
Some decent players at Killie and Motherwell we may be able to get, and dare I say it HEARTS!

Wotherspiniesta
04-12-2011, 12:06 PM
How much would Johnny Hayes cost?

Direct, quick and got a good left peg on him.

Billy Whizz
04-12-2011, 12:07 PM

Is he an Inverness player or a loan signing?

HibeeMackenzie
04-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Dean Shiels
Chris Humphrey
Keith Lasley
Jon Daly
Davie Weir

Think they'd all strengthen us and all (possibly not Humphrey) would all be affordable

Reaper
04-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I've heard a rumour that we're going to try and get Scott Vernon. Same source that told me Palsson would come. Dunno how reliable though.

Wotherspiniesta
04-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Is he an Inverness player or a loan signing?

He's a caley player.

greenlex
04-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Don't believe for a minute there won't be at least a couple of Irish lads in the lineup come next season if not January.

IWasThere2016
04-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Hayes
Humphrey
Hasselbaink
Shinnie
Kenneth

Or maybe Hogg and Rankin :greengrin

frazeHFC
04-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Hayes is a good player, i would like him. :agree: Is Deano's loan up in January because maybe we could look at him?

truehibernian
04-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Have to say, having watched Inverness a few times this season their best player by far has been Greg Tansey (midfield). I think he can talk to clubs in January, as can Johnny Hayes. Both would be good additions for me.

The striker from Falkirk seems to be on fire too.

BEEJ
04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Dean Shiels
Chris Humphrey
Keith Lasley
Jon Daly
Davie Weir

Think they'd all strengthen us and all (possibly not Humphrey) would all be affordable

Hayes
Humphrey
Hasselbaink
Shinnie
Kenneth
Interesting.

Check the Motherwell fans forums. Most of them think Humphrey has been a dud this season. A speed merchant and nothing else. :wink:

ancient hibee
04-12-2011, 01:26 PM
A Dutch box to box player would be handy.

TRC
04-12-2011, 01:28 PM
I think the boy Dayton at Killie looks decent also Like the look of Harkins since he's been at killie

Mark79
04-12-2011, 01:38 PM

I would love a midfielder that does a lot of unseen work.

SteveHFC
04-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Sean Dillon anyone?

Played for Shelbourne when Pat was manager there. He has SPL experience plus He is a RB.

James70
04-12-2011, 01:49 PM

Imagine him and O'Connor in the same team,

Johnny Hayes Gaz.

But then it would be "shattered dreams" if he turned us down. :greengrin

SteveHFC
04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Sissoko
Shiels
Harkins
Murphy

Please :devil:

BEEJ
04-12-2011, 02:24 PM
And there's a first time for everything. :greengrin

frazeHFC
04-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Sissoko
Shiels
Harkins
Murphy

Please :devil:

What Murphy?

If David Murphy there is no chance whatsoever and if it is Jamie Murphy the 'Well fans are wondering why he is still playing for them as he has been gash. :na na:

HibbyAndy
04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Did Dundee utd sign Robbie Nielson just for his long throw ins?...As he offers absolute nothing else. He has to be right up there as one of the worst SPL players ever.

SteveHFC
04-12-2011, 02:32 PM
What Murphy?

If David Murphy there is no chance whatsoever and if it is Jamie Murphy the 'Well fans are wondering why he is still playing for them as he has been gash. :na na:

Jamie Murphy :wink:

easty
04-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Interesting.

Check the Motherwell fans forums. Most of them think Humphrey has been a dud this season. A speed merchant and nothing else. :wink:

Did nowt on Friday night, Hanlon dealt with him with ease.

Cocaine&Caviar
04-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Don't believe for a minute there won't be at least a couple of Irish lads in the lineup come next season if not January.

Towell & Stack?

WindyMiller
04-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Did Dundee utd sign Robbie Nielson just for his long throw ins?...As he offers absolute nothing else. He has to be right up there as one of the worst SPL players ever.

:agree:

I once saw him trap a ba' into Row E.

FACT.

greenlex
04-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Towell & Stack?

Sounds like a method.

Golf folks ken whits goin oan.

supersauzee
04-12-2011, 03:23 PM
I would love to see a few of these boys sign for Hibs:

kenneth
dillon
darren barr
hayes
tansey
Alagui (falkirk Striker)
dayton
Pascali
Shiels

We need to get rid of half our team first and I cant see how unless we pay them off! hard times ahead!

Wotherspiniesta
04-12-2011, 03:28 PM
I would love to see a few of these boys sign for Hibs:

kenneth
dillon
darren barr
hayes
tansey
Alagui (falkirk Striker)
dayton
Pascali
Shiels

We need to get rid of half our team first and I cant see how unless we pay them off! hard times ahead!

Good yin :greengrin

Billychaotic182
04-12-2011, 03:45 PM
I'd take Tom Hateley. Murray Davidson, Liam Craig, Sandaza, Gary Harkins, and Hasselbaink

SteveHFC
04-12-2011, 04:31 PM
This page was last updated: 12:42:11 GMT+1
04 Dec 2011 12:23:51
well leigh griffiths will not sign a contract till the end of the season as wolves want to try him in there games..... pat fanlon is looking to have a wee clear out releasing players likes of junior agogo, akpo sodje, matt thornhill to room for blackburns out of favour striker jason roberts as roberts is willing to cut down his wages to play regular football

Just saw this on the Famous Football Rumours site :faf:

KeithTheHibby
04-12-2011, 04:35 PM

Johnny Hayes Gaz.

:greengrin:greengrin

I reckon I would spend all my time wishing that we could 'turn back the clock' to the days of Deek and Gaz though.

essexhibee
04-12-2011, 04:55 PM

:agree: even his throw ins are pish. He was training with the almighty Burton Albion previously.

archiebald
04-12-2011, 04:57 PM
They are already after Nicky Riley ex Celt now at Dundee :agree::agree:

Wheat Hound
04-12-2011, 05:06 PM
In the Sunday Post ( not my purchase, faithers) that we are likely to sign Griffiths till the end of the season and that there have already been tentative enquiries about a permanent deal.

PISTOL1875
04-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Who is after Nicky Riley ???

hibsfan7
04-12-2011, 05:12 PM
we must get messi xavi and griffiths

:cb

hibsbollah
04-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Tom Hately and please dear lord a half decent centre half.

Derek Dougan
04-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Rudi Skacel.

Bishop Hibee
04-12-2011, 06:28 PM
I would love a midfielder that does a lot of unseen work.

Murray Davidson of St Johnstone would be welcome.
Danny Swanson is a name I've heard from a credible source and if you check my posts that is something I rarely if ever have said. Seems awfully injury prone though. One for the summer?
Is a decent right back too much to ask for? Maybe Dave Mackay from Saintees or Hately from 'well. Do wepay enough to make them leave relatively successful clubs to come to ER?

One thing is for sure, we need better quality than the duds Yogi and CC signed or we'll be down.

Billy Whizz
04-12-2011, 06:34 PM
I don't think we'll get more than 3 or 4 in January providing a few go out the door.
Need a centre half, midfielder and a forward as a minimum

Tricla
04-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Towell & Stack?

Is Stack no English?

Scouse Hibee
04-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Is Stack no English?

Born in England but represented the Republic at u21 level

Tricla
04-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Born in England but represented the Republic at u21 level

So, aye! Or does he consider himself Irish!? :devil:

Scouse Hibee
04-12-2011, 07:29 PM
So, aye! Or does he consider himself Irish!? :devil:

:dunno: :wink:

snooky
04-12-2011, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=Supermac;3018334]Imagine him and O'Connor in the same team,

Johnny Hayes Gaz.

:greengrin :top marks

archiebald
04-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Who is after Nicky Riley ???

Hearts ?????????? no Hibs :wink: it is Hibs.net aint it - January signing targets.

frazeHFC
04-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Jonny Hayes certainly impressing on the highlights!

Paisley Hibby
04-12-2011, 10:08 PM

Johnny Hayes Gaz.

Hate to admit it but I'm old enough to get that :greengrin

hfc rd
04-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Wouldnt mind seeing the following players at hibs not only in jan but the summer as well:-

Pascali (Kilmarnock)
Shiels (On loan at Kilmarnock from Doncaster)
Silva (Kilmarnock)
Craig (St Johnstone)
Sandaza (St Johnstone)
McCourt (Celtic)
Hateley (Motherwell)
El Aguigi (Falkirk)

I would have added hayes and davidson to that list but I just have a feeling that both of them will be plying their trade at either the OF or in the championship. Also maybe a move for both andy dorman and chris maguire, with both players struggling to get a game in the championship. Obviously some players will have to get moved on first to free up a couple of wages.

steakbake
04-12-2011, 11:29 PM
El Alagui would be a great addition, but I suspect that there are a number of teams who have noticed him and we'll be doing very well to even have a bid considered.

frazeHFC
04-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Wouldnt mind seeing the following players at hibs not only in jan but the summer as well:-

Pascali (Kilmarnock)
Shiels (On loan at Kilmarnock from Doncaster)
Silva (Kilmarnock)
Craig (St Johnstone)
Sandaza (St Johnstone)
McCourt (Celtic)
Hateley (Motherwell)
El Aguigi (Falkirk)

I would have added hayes and davidson to that list but I just have a feeling that both of them will be plying their trade at either the OF or in the championship. Also maybe a move for both andy dorman and chris maguire, with both players struggling to get a game in the championship. Obviously some players will have to get moved on first to free up a couple of wages.

Do you mean on loan? I don't know what wages he is on but guessing he wouldn't want to come to Hibs. I wish he would though! :wink:

keep the faith
05-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Do you mean on loan? I don't know what wages he is on but guessing he wouldn't want to come to Hibs. I wish he would though! :wink:

I think he would. Surely the guy can't go on having 10 mins here and there for the rest of his career?

Mcourt would be on my wish list together with Murray Davidson, Jamie Murphy, Michael Stewart, Barry nicolson and a couple of experienced defenders.

IWasThere2016
05-12-2011, 07:43 AM
I'd take Tom Hateley. Murray Davidson, Liam Craig, Sandaza, Gary Harkins, and Hasselbaink

Good players :agree: A fair few fees too :wink:

Playing really well apparently

In the Sunday Post (not my purchase, faithers) that we are likely to sign Griffiths till the end of the season and that there have already been tentative enquiries about a permanent deal.

:agree: We are his level and vice versa. He won't go back to Wolves IMHO.

ScottB
05-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Do we actually have the cash to be paying for players at the moment?

I can't see more than a couple frees / loan deals unless we get rid of a good few of the current lot, and I really can't see anyone willing to pay cash for any of them!

silverhibee
05-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Do we actually have the cash to be paying for players at the moment?

I can't see more than a couple frees / loan deals unless we get rid of a good few of the current lot, and I really can't see anyone willing to pay cash for any of them!

Anyone leaving in January will have to be paid off,(do Hibs have the cash to do that) and if that is the case then there wont be much money left from the budget to bring new players to the club, i think we are stuck with this lot until there contracts run out as no other club in there right mind will pay any money for them, i think that Hibs will probaly bring in no more than three players in the January window, hopefully two defenders and a playmaker in the midfield would be a start.

blackpoolhibs
05-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Anyone leaving in January will have to be paid off,(do Hibs have the cash to do that) and if that is the case then there wont be much money left from the budget to bring new players to the club, i think we are stuck with this lot until there contracts run out as no other club in there right mind will pay any money for them, i think that Hibs will probaly bring in no more than three players in the January window, hopefully two defenders and a playmaker in the midfield would be a start.

Any chance you know if a goal scoring two footed forward, would be in the new managers plans come January?:wink:

silverhibee
05-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Any chance you know if a goal scoring two footed forward, would be in the new managers plans come January?:wink:

Anelka. :cb :greengrin

Baker9
05-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Interesting.

I was in the main stand on Friday and they definitely do not like him. Hopeless all season apparently.

HibbyAndy
05-12-2011, 04:11 PM
In the Sunday Post ( not my purchase, faithers) that we are likely to sign Griffiths till the end of the season and that there have already been tentative enquiries about a permanent deal.

Would be delighted if LG signed a permanent deal at Easter rd. I really rate this kid and think he would/could be brilliant for Hibs in the next few years.

SteveHFC
05-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Would be delighted if LG signed a permanent deal at Easter rd. I really rate this kid and think he would/could be brilliant for Hibs in the next few years.

:agree:

Andy74
05-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Good players :agree: A fair few fees too :wink:

Playing really well apparently

:agree: We are his level and vice versa. He won't go back to Wolves IMHO.

Agree. No chance Leigh is an EPL player. Still has a bit to go to be a good SPL player and think he'd do well to try a couple of years here and see how he progresses.

Riley is a decent winger who has been flying recently. Set up all four goals in a recent game. Dunfermline were sniffing about prior to the season starting.

Sean1875
05-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Was thinking about this, would it not be possible to just accept say a £1 bid? means we got them off our wage bill without having to pay them off and the other team gets a player on the cheap, seems a win win situation? or are there some daft laws against this?

keep the faith
05-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Was thinking about this, would it not be possible to just accept say a £1 bid? means we got them off our wage bill without having to pay them off and the other team gets a player on the cheap, seems a win win situation? or are there some daft laws against this?

It's not the transfer fee that's the problem mate. It's honouring the players contract that's the issue.

Andy74
05-12-2011, 04:44 PM

It's not the fee that's the problem, we can give them away for nowt if we want.

The problem is that they are on contracts here that they would do well to get matched elsewhere and so there's no way the player would move if he is going to get paid signficantly less.

It's all about the wages. If a team wants them and they can pay them then great, if a team wants them but can only pay them a lot less then either they sit tight and we are stuck with them or we pay up part of their contract to compensate them for the loss in earnings they would have from cancelling the contract.

Sean1875
05-12-2011, 04:50 PM
It's not the transfer fee that's the problem mate. It's honouring the players contract that's the issue.

The problem is that they are on contracts here that they would do well to get matched elsewhere and so there's no way the player would move if he is going to get paid signficantly less.

It's all about the wages. If a team wants them and they can pay them then great, if a team wants them but can only pay them a lot less then either they sit tight and we are stuck with them or we pay up part of their contract to compensate them for the loss in earnings they would have from cancelling the contract.
ahh yeah that makes sense, shame, thought id came up with an absolute lightbulb moment :greengrin :doh:

Peevemor
05-12-2011, 04:53 PM

Unless the players concerned don't think Hearts are in a position to pay the remainder of the contract (either as a monthly wage or a lump sum) and thus opt to take a lower but guaranteed wage elsewhere.

Andy74
05-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Unless the players concerned don't think Hearts are in a position to pay the remainder of the contract (either as a monthly wage or a lump sum) and thus opt to take a lower but guaranteed wage elsewhere.

I was thinking the question was in relation to us getting rid of some of our rubbish?

Might be easier said than done as they would all have to to take a step down and they are not likely to be queuing up for that.

Hearts are another matter - I can't see them lasting until the end of January and so I think their whole squad will be free to walk and we would probably be in a decent position to offer as good a deal as anyone for some of the ones we might want.

Paisley Hibby
05-12-2011, 05:15 PM

Being cynical, that's probably part of the Vlad Masterplan. Keep paying wages late/suggest it's a problem paying them at all and the players will be only too willing to go for less than he owes them.

Peevemor
05-12-2011, 05:28 PM
I was thinking the question was in relation to us getting rid of some of our rubbish?

Might be easier said than done as they would all have to to take a step down and they are not likely to be queuing up for that.

Hearts are another matter - I can't see them lasting until the end of January and so I think their whole squad will be free to walk and we would probably be in a decent position to offer as good a deal as anyone for some of the ones we might want.

Sorry, my mistake. I didn't read the post you quoted. :doh:

silverhibee
05-12-2011, 06:44 PM

A wee example being Jimmy Scott, some idiot at Hibs thought it would be a great idea to give him a three and a half year contract, he has two and a half left to go and reportedly on more than a grand a week, what club is going to take him and match these wages, yep no one, stuck with him and he would be of his head to leave for less money.

Eyrie
05-12-2011, 07:18 PM
A wee example being Jimmy Scott, some idiot at Hibs thought it would be a great idea to give him a three and a half year contract, he has two and a half left to go and reportedly on more than a grand a week, what club is going to take him and match these wages, yep no one, stuck with him and he would be of his head to leave for less money.
That one has to be blamed on Derek Adams who managed him for four years at Ross County.

truehibernian
05-12-2011, 07:43 PM
A wee example being Jimmy Scott, some idiot at Hibs thought it would be a great idea to give him a three and a half year contract, he has two and a half left to go and reportedly on more than a grand a week, what club is going to take him and match these wages, yep no one, stuck with him and he would be of his head to leave for less money. I am one of the few it seems who rates Jimmy SH.....I honestly think there is a useful player in there, used in the right way. Calderwood never really gave him a proper chance, and then there was the training ground incident. If PF channels his energy, and can make the most of his energy (his major asset) then I think he will be useful. As with most of the squad it's a confidence thing. You are right though, the length of contract is puzzling. Useful player though in my opinion.

Billy Whizz
05-12-2011, 07:51 PM
I am one of the few it seems who rates Jimmy SH.....I honestly think there is a useful player in there, used in the right way. Calderwood never really gave him a proper chance, and then there was the training ground incident. If PF channels his energy, and can make the most of his energy (his major asset) then I think he will be useful. As with most of the squad it's a confidence thing. You are right though, the length of contract is puzzling. Useful player though in my opinion.

I have to disagree. Too slow for the SPL. Not sure where his best position is and he certainly can't play wide

silverhibee
05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
That one has to be blamed on Derek Adams who managed him for four years at Ross County.

Dont think Derek Adams was doing contract talks with players.

Jonnyboy
05-12-2011, 08:14 PM
I'd take Davidson from the Saints but it's unlikely we'd get him. Shoulda signed him from Livi IMO

I'd also take Dave Mackay from the Saints. Good at right back and centre half - two for the price of one :greengrin

sparkiedelpaco7
05-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Players to Buy

Jamie Murphy - Motherwell
Dean Shiels - Kilmarnock/Doncaster (Loan til end of Season)
Johnny Hayes - ICT
Eggert Johnsson - Yams
Leigh Griffiths (Loan til end of Season)
Derek Riordan (Free Agent)

HibbyAndy
05-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Shiels
Riordan
Vernon

AlbertK86
05-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Wot about Latapy and Sauzee !!!

HibbyAndy
05-12-2011, 09:09 PM

What aboot them ?

sleeping giant
05-12-2011, 09:15 PM
ahh yeah that makes sense, shame, thought id came up with an absolute lightbulb moment :greengrin :doh:

:hilarious

silverhibee
05-12-2011, 09:18 PM

Latapy playing Sunday league footballl i think, Sauzee somewhere in France but doesn't want to be found, hope that helps. :aok:

BEEJ
05-12-2011, 09:47 PM
:agree: That's my view too. It's likely to be a fairly quiet window.

Our only hope is that certain players actually have some pride. Those in the current squad who have been advised that they'll spend the rest of the season training with the U-19s might just be desperate to find another club just to get an opportunity to play now and then.

Eyrie
05-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Dont think Derek Adams was doing contract talks with players.
No, but Adams would have had a good idea of his strengths, weaknesses and suitability before we bid for him.

I'm thinking that two or three players will be brought in, but we might be disappointed by the lack of departures.

AlbertK86
05-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Latapy playing Sunday league footballl i think, Sauzee somewhere in France but doesn't want to be found, hope that helps. :aok: Both still better than most of our team !!

Coco Bryce
05-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Conor Sammon on loan :wink:

silverhibee
05-12-2011, 11:14 PM
No, but Adams would have had a good idea of his strengths, weaknesses and suitability before we bid for him.
I'm thinking that two or three players will be brought in, but we might be disappointed by the lack of departures.

Still didn't deserve to get that length of contract though, did Hibs also pay a fee for him.?

Wheat Hound
05-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Still didn't deserve to get that length of contract though, did Hibs also pay a fee for him.?

Indeed we did. £80,000 was the entirely reasonable fee.

:brickwall

Johnny_Leith
06-12-2011, 04:35 AM
I'd like to see us make a bid for Liam Craig in the summer, not sure of his contract situation however imo he's the sort of player we should be looking at.

Despite all the doom and gloom surrounding the SPL there are some good players around and some very good prospects: kenny maclean, andrew shinnie, greg tansey, joe cardle, even some hibs players!

Fwiw I think jimmy scotts a decent squad player.

silverhibee
06-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Indeed we did. £80,000 was the entirely reasonable fee.

:brickwall

What a ****ing waste of money, whoevever on the board who decided to pay money for him and give him a 3 1/2 year contract needs to sacked on the spot. :cbs

seven nowt
06-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Deano. I'd take him in a second.

I wouldn't want Humphrey, he's fast but awkward on the ball, not too great technically and as one-footed a player as you'd ever get. Daly would be great but I couldn't see it happening. Jamie Murphy aswell. We need a Centre-Back as well.

Andy74
06-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Deano. I'd take him in a second.

I wouldn't want Humphrey, he's fast but awkward on the ball, not too great technically and as one-footed a player as you'd ever get. Daly would be great but I couldn't see it happening. Jamie Murphy aswell. We need a Centre-Back as well.

We need two centre backs and a right back and a left back. For starters.

Sean1875
07-12-2011, 01:02 AM
I'd like to see us make a bid for Liam Craig in the summer, not sure of his contract situation however imo he's the sort of player we should be looking at.

Despite all the doom and gloom surrounding the SPL there are some good players around and some very good prospects: kenny maclean, andrew shinnie, greg tansey, joe cardle, even some hibs players!

Fwiw I think jimmy scotts a decent squad player.
:agree: been saying this for a while, cracking player IMO and just what we need.