PDA

View Full Version : Whats the worst decision you've seen ?

hailhail22
03-12-2011, 12:03 PM
David luiz's challange should of been a straight sending off, So its made me think, What awful decisions have stuck in your mind made by referees ?

franck sauzee
03-12-2011, 12:14 PM
David luiz's challange should of been a straight sending off, So its made me think, What awful decisions have stuck in your mind made by referees ?Years ago against ra tic, Gordon Marshall punching the ball about 3 yards out of his box, may have been further. I was judging it from the famous 5. Referee and linesman all turned a blind eye. Most disgraceful decision I've ever seen at Easter Road

iwasthere1972
03-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Allowing Steve Fulton to play without a face mask.

greenlex
03-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Don't know where to start to be honest.

lapsedhibee
03-12-2011, 12:32 PM
1. Boozy getting sent off at ER when a hun fouled him (might have been The Fat Hun).
b. The Fat Hun forearm-smashing Zemmama at Ipox.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Bobo Balde's assault @ ER with his elbow

Sean1875
03-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Alan Freelands entire game against Falkirk a few seasons ago, still the worst refereeing performance I have seen.

Mikeystewart
03-12-2011, 12:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ubuK-VJ-S8

Bishop Hibee
03-12-2011, 12:46 PM
I'll go with a top 5.

1. Neil Berry only being booked for ending Paul Wright's season with a shocking assault circa 1990.

2. Uli Laurson being sent off for hand ball in the box by Hugh Dallas v Celtc when the ball was blasted against him from about 6 yards away while he was prostrate on the ground with his arm across his chest.

3. McCoist punching Mark Fulton and getting away with it. No retrospective ban.

4. Liam Miller being sent off away v 'Well. Later reduced to a yellow but cost us at least a point.

5. Peter McCloy bringing down Colin Campbell in the '79 Scottish Cup Final. That little fat rat Brian McGinley was never going to give a pen.

Just off the top of my head.

hibbysam
03-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Brebner red card in home game against Hearts, where O'Connor scored in the last minute!

Thecat23
03-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Alan Freelands entire game against Falkirk a few seasons ago, still the worst refereeing performance I have seen.

Yep that whole game was unreal. I speak to Marc Twaddle a lot and to this day he says that was the most hostile atmosphere he's ever seen at a game and said he was bricking it to leave ER that day! He said the ref was so bad the players themselves were saying to each other that they can't believe how bad he was. Nearly caused a riot.

snooky
03-12-2011, 12:57 PM
"Certainly a booking" says Woooof (the understatement of the century)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygVgxYa3mlo

Kammy1875
03-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Balde not being sent off one game was scandalous.

He was on a yellow and smashed into our players at least 3 times and got away with it.

Not letting CC leave in the summer is one of the worst decisions too.

Dr Jimmy
03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Too many to chose from but the two that stick in mind are:

1. McLoys assault at the end of the first game in the 1979 cup final.
2. Crunchie getting halfed at ibrox in the box in the first minute of a league game. (obviously no pens allowed in first few mins against that lot).

hibsbollah
03-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Mowbray giving Zibby a contract extension.

goosano
03-12-2011, 01:36 PM
The serial failure of the ref not to award Hibs penalties for that cheating bassa Zaliukas continually hauling Rob Jones down in the penalty box time after time in a derby at ER, the date of which I cannot remember

iwasthere1972
03-12-2011, 02:22 PM
The council granting Hearts a safety certificate for Tynecastle plus a £15K donation.

SOLGirl
03-12-2011, 02:51 PM
The game v Hearts when Zaliukas spent half the match with his arms round Jones' neck...completely ignored by the ref and linesman..shocking!!

O'Rourke3
03-12-2011, 02:53 PM
I'll go with a top 5.

1. Neil Berry only being booked for ending Paul Wright's season with a shocking assault circa 1990.

2. Uli Laurson being sent off for hand ball in the box by Hugh Dallas v Celtc when the ball was blasted against him from about 6 yards away while he was prostrate on the ground with his arm across his chest.

4. Liam Miller being sent off away v 'Well. Later reduced to a yellow but cost us at least a point.

5. Peter McCloy bringing down Colin Campbell in the '79 Scottish Cup Final. That little fat rat Brian McGinley was never going to give a pen.

#1 - He wasn't even booked and this was top of my list too. I don't even think we got a free kick.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Boltonhibs persisting in sporting a Frank Cannon style moustache when they had clearly gone out of fashion 5 or 6 years earlier.

Saying that, he did go to some funny clubs in those days, where most of the men wore them?

Pretty Boy
03-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Fernando Ricksen going unpunished when he just about took Derek Riordans head off his shoulders in the league cup semi final a few years ago was pretty bad.

iwasthere1972
03-12-2011, 02:59 PM
The ref awarding Leeds United that free kick at Easter Road in 1968. Jack Charlton. :hnet: :hnet: :hnet:

Bostonhibby
03-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Selling Jimmy O'Rourke to St. Johnstone :boo hoo:

Iggy Pope
03-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Partick Thistle v Dundee Utd early 90s

United scored, the ball hit the back stanchion and bounced into the 6 yard box. Disgusted, a Thistle defender picked up the ball and handed it to his keeper who booted it up the park!

Referee Mottram waved play on and treated the United complaints with his usual condescending and dismissive wave away. Apart from missing what was clearly a goal , if he thought the ball was still in play he had a penalty to give for blatant handball.

I have never seen anything like this, (short of some Sunday amateur occasions) - How Les Mottram was ever allowed to continue refereeing baffles me to this day. He was a complete muppet.

Mark79
03-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Petrie appointing clueless Colin.

iwasthere1972
03-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Paying £120K for Fat Joe from Everton.

Saorsa
03-12-2011, 03:18 PM
That's some question. It's like puting Colin Calderwood in a sweeite shop and asking him what he would like.

I can think of so many diabolical decisions I wouldnae ken where tae really start. A lot of them have been mentioned in this thread already though.

cam75
03-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Mixus disallowed goal in the 6-2 game shocking

Pretty Boy
03-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Partick Thistle v Dundee Utd early 90s

United scored, the ball hit the back stanchion and bounced into the 6 yard box. Disgusted, a Thistle defender picked up the ball and handed it to his keeper who booted it up the park!

Referee Mottram waved play on and treated the United complaints with his usual condescending and dismissive wave away. Apart from missing what was clearly a goal , if he thought the ball was still in play he had a penalty to give for blatant handball.

I have never seen anything like this, (short of some Sunday amateur occasions) - How Les Mottram was ever allowed to continue refereeing baffles me to this day. He was a complete muppet.

There's video footage of that somewhere on YouTube. Absolutely crazy refereeing.

hibsbollah
03-12-2011, 03:41 PM
There's video footage of that somewhere on YouTube. Absolutely crazy refereeing. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3DxKuLtLXl7FI&v=xKuLtLXl7FI&gl=GB

Stevie Reid
03-12-2011, 03:46 PM
#1 - He wasn't even booked and this was top of my list too. I don't even think we got a free kick.

I'm pretty sure that he was booked and we scored from the free kick.

Lost 2-1 though. I'm pretty sure that that was also the game that Goram played with an injured hand and Wayne Foster went right through him to injure it further. We lost a soft goal from a Robertson free kick as a result.

Jones28
03-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Any decision ever made by Alan Freeland, remember the game against Falkirk?! Lost it 30 minutes in and from that moment on it was always going to be a disaster

Bobo Balde should have been sent off more times than I can count

Zaliukas not being sent off and being awarded a penalty

Deano being sent off a Tynecastle when he shoved Craig "Spottylesbiancheatingw*nker" Gordon

There is at least one awful decision every week in the SPL

marinello59
03-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Any decision ever made by Alan Freeland, remember the game against Falkirk?! Lost it 30 minutes in and from that moment on it was always going to be a disaster

That was my wee lads first game at Easter Road and he was pretty shocked to find out that one of his parents not only knew so many swear words but could use them so creatively to describe Freeland. Thankfully his mother had calmed down a bit by the time we got back to the car.

iwasthere1972
03-12-2011, 04:06 PM
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3DxKuLtLXl7FI&v=xKuLtLXl7FI&gl=GB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?3Fv%3DxKuLtLXl7FI&v=xKuLtLXl7FI&gl=GB

Incredible.

connerg
03-12-2011, 04:10 PM

:top marksThat would have been 4 for mixu that day or evening!

Peevemor
03-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Too many to chose from but the two that stick in mind are:

1. McLoys assault at the end of the first game in the 1979 cup final.
2. Crunchie getting halfed at ibrox in the box in the first minute of a league game. (obviously no pens allowed in first few mins against that lot).

:agree: That was one of the one's I had in mind. I was in hospitality that day with my hun ex father-in-law and he was embarrassed.

hibsbollah
03-12-2011, 04:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?3Fv%3DxKuLtLXl7FI&v=xKuLtLXl7FI&gl=GBIncredible. I know. sturrocks coat must be nine sizes too big for him.

jax67
03-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Surely the worst decision by far was mercers decision to try and merge the famous Edinburgh Hi-bees with that bunch of losers from somewhere around haymarket, cant recall their name but *****!!! does ring a bell.

connerg
03-12-2011, 04:16 PM
The referee allowing the game to be restarted after a CS gas cannister was thrown into the old East by a Smeltic fan. 1987 or 88

Guess what? Smeltic scored the winner, Andy Walker i think.

Lofarl
03-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Hibs only getting £500000 from that lot for Brian Hamilton.

cad
03-12-2011, 04:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=g4veX0VZlx4&NR=1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=g4veX0VZlx4&NR=1)

Nearly 30 years ago now , worst ever the more you watch it the worse it gets ,
no sending off, no booking not even a foul .

Freelands was just a cock of a man, this was a top notcher of a ref making a right coos thingy off it

Reaper
03-12-2011, 04:24 PM

:top marks

iwasthere1972
03-12-2011, 04:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=g4veX0VZlx4&NR=1

Nearly 30 years ago now , worst ever the more you watch it the worse it gets ,
no sending off, no booking not even a foul .

Freelands was just a cock of a man, this was a top notcher of a ref making a right coos thingy off it

Coincidentally I watched that on ESPN last night. Another terrible decision which may have helped the Germans to reach the final which they eventually lost to the Italians.

cam75
03-12-2011, 04:37 PM

cam75
03-12-2011, 04:48 PM

Hibee87
03-12-2011, 05:19 PM
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3DxKuLtLXl7FI&v=xKuLtLXl7FI&gl=GB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKuLtLXl7FI:wink:

Phil D. Rolls
03-12-2011, 05:36 PM
World Cup 82, the West German guy just about beheads Battistant the French goalie. France don't even get a free kick!

hibsbollah
03-12-2011, 05:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKuLtLXl7FI:wink: bloody smarterse kids :greengrin

Iggy Pope
03-12-2011, 05:39 PM
World Cup 82, the West German guy just about beheads Battistant the French goalie. France don't even get a free kick!

Back to front - it was the German goalie who fouled Battison.

cam75
03-12-2011, 07:20 PM
:top marksThat would have been 4 for mixu that day or evening!

Yes,when
The players were in esponage many moons ago latapy and mixu l said that to him and he agreed with buying me a beer.

KiddA
03-12-2011, 07:26 PM
I'll go with a top 5.

I thought that was against Rangers and involved Fernando Ricksen blasting the ball against him. I remember being so angry after that is was a complete shocker :grr:

Done some research http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football%3A+HIBS+SEE+RED+OVER+REF%3B+SAUZEE+SEES+R ED+OVER+LAURSEN+CARD%3A...-a081129671 I don't think I have ever been so angry after that but awful ref calls like that have happened over the years both against Celtic and Ranger :agree:

cad
03-12-2011, 07:51 PM

Aye this one Filled Rolls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=g4veX0VZlx4&NR=1

Part/Time Supporter
03-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I'll go with a top 5.

Same Hugh Dallas who six months or so later didn't think this was a penalty in a World Cup quarter final (USA v Germany). (go to 1:47)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eze1czb8NBQ

Kato
03-12-2011, 08:35 PM

He never brought him down he monstered him. If he gave a pen the Cup was ours. Summed Scottish Football for me and nothing has changed, they've just got snidier.

Hiber-nation
03-12-2011, 08:42 PM
I'll go with a top 5.

All cracking examples and still fresh in my mind.

There was also Butcher's elbow on Stevie Cowan's face in the Souness game....in the penalty box. Play on!

And John "Polaris" MacDonald's dive back in 1973 - Wednesday night game (was it a cup replay?)

Iggy Pope
03-12-2011, 08:55 PM

There was also Butcher's elbow on Stevie Cowan's face in the Souness game....in the penalty box. Play on!

And John "Polaris" MacDonald's dive back in 1973 - Wednesday night game (was it a cup replay?)

Was a Wednesday night but maybe about 10 years later :wink:

Seem to recall that Benny, starring on another thread elsewhere, featured in the incident?

hibbytam
03-12-2011, 08:59 PM
There was one against celtic where rab douglas picks the ball a good foot or so out of his box at the ff end. Ref either didn't notice or just ignored it.
And THAT Falkirk game. A blind man with no knowledge of football could have refereed better

Iggy Pope
03-12-2011, 08:59 PM
I'll go with a top 5.

5. Peter McCloy bringing down Colin Campbell in the '79 Scottish Cup Final. That little fat rat Brian McGinley was never going to give a pen.Just off the top of my head.

I suppose a simple 0-0 gave him room for a quick exit from Hampden to get into the Queen Street bogs that bit quicker.

Biggie
03-12-2011, 10:08 PM
He never brought him down he monstered him. If he gave a pen the Cup was ours. Summed Scottish Football for me and nothing has changed, they've just got snidier.

Defo...that was a joke decision, and (obv didn't know at the time) but the closest we've come to winning the cup in the 32 years since.....absolute stonewall pen. (mind you in those days there were plenty decisions to choose from when it came to old firm decisions with the likes of Macdonald (both of them) around.
That and the decision to send Laurson off when he was getting up are two ridiculous decisions....

7 Hills
03-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Worst decision I've ever seen was by Hugh Dallas, during the 6-2 game against The ****! 6-2 was good, yeah! It WAS GOOD! But at the same time, I knew I'd been ROBBED!!! There's an incident during that ICONIC match where Mixu heids the ba' intae the Jambo's net while Pressley falls over, clutching a great big handful of Mixu's shirt! Dallas gives a foul against Mixu, who is standing with his arms beside his sides! *****!!! I've seen The Hibs score SEVEN against the Hearts! Braw!!!

jakedance
03-12-2011, 10:30 PM
The game against Falkirk with Alan Freeland was a stand out. The worst referring performance I've ever seen.

Special mention too for when Gascoigne was booked for trying to have a wee joke with the ref. This says a lot for the mentality of your typical referee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwgg--Ou-8

Liberal Hibby
03-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Uli Laursen (I think) getting sent of off at Ibrox/Parkhead for getting his bootlace tangled in a Ranger's/Celtc's player's stud and Scott Brown having his leg broken at Ibrox with no foul given - although he played on.

Albion Hibs
03-12-2011, 11:17 PM
David luiz's challange should of been a straight sending off, So its made me think, What awful decisions have stuck in your mind made by referees ?

Funny you should say that was down at the newcastle v chelsea ame today, seemed like an easy decision to me. Terrible decision by the ref, I guess good to see they are as bias down south as they are up here.

One thing I would say in defence of todays ref is he was pretty consistant / let the game flow. The game was as usual EPL standards dictate, very slow and plenty of boring passing. but helped along by the official none the less, so I guess all in all fair play to them.

Stevie Reid
04-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Having just seen the sending off for Bolton against Spurs yesterday, that must be up there. Ridiculous

snooky
04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
The game against Falkirk with Alan Freeland was a stand out. The worst referring performance I've ever seen.

Special mention too for when Gascoigne was booked for trying to have a wee joke with the ref. This says a lot for the mentality of your typical referee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwgg--Ou-8

:agree: Sense of humour transplant required immediately - what a Julian Dick.

snooky
04-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Uli Laursen (I think) getting sent of off at Ibrox/Parkhead for getting his bootlace tangled in a Ranger's/Celtc's player's stud and Scott Brown having his leg broken at Ibrox with no foul given - although he played on.

I think that John O'Neil and,to be fair, I think the Rangers player in the incident did try to explain to the ref what really happened. Didn't make any difference though - off Johnny boy went.
BTW, have you noticed how many of the horrendous calls highlighted above (edit: and below!) favoured the OF?

Frazerbob
04-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Surely Petrie not taking Birmingham's money for Colin the Clown in the summer.

Future17
04-12-2011, 12:06 PM

Think that was O'Neil as well. I think Laursen got sent off at ER against Celtic(?) for handball when he was lying on the ground and the ball was blasted at him.

The challenge that broke Brown's leg was by Brellier at Tynecastle in the previous game, the extent of the injury only became clear after he was forced to come off at Ibrox.

Peevemor
04-12-2011, 12:13 PM
There was also the game at Ibrox when Andy Goram (still at Hibs) was left lying unconscious in his box for over a minute. He was permited treatment only after the huns had scored.

PatHead
04-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Surely Petrie not taking Birmingham's money for Colin the Clown in the summer.

Well I'll be first to rise to the bait. Birmingham never offered compensation in the summer, it was Notts Forrest.

Holmesdale Hibs
04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?3Fv%3DxKuLtLXl7FI&v=xKuLtLXl7FI&gl=GB

Incredible.

Wow. That's butal. Beyone Sunday league. WTF was he thinking.

I remember a game under Blobby, I think vs Dunfermline. Scott Brown played the ball against a guys hand at the FF end. A clear penalty. ref pointed to the spot then changed his mind. Blobby said in an interview after that the ref told Brown that he couldn't find his whistle.

ginger_rice
04-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Bobby Davidson abandoning the game at darkheid with Hibs 2-1 up and 2 minutes(?) to go after the game had been held up due to the jungle invading the pitch.

Hiber-nation
04-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Was a Wednesday night but maybe about 10 years later :wink:

Seem to recall that Benny, starring on another thread elsewhere, featured in the incident?

Bloody hell, I'm getting old :greengrin

Getting mixed up with the game when Diddy Macdonald got sent off.

ancient hibee
04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Cup tie at Easter Road

Cropley takes corner and Tam Forsyth knocks Edwards flat on the goal line.

Ball is headed out-Duncan lashes it into the roof of the net.

Referee blows and points -typical I think - we score but he gives us the penalty.Silly me he's given offside against Edwards getting to his feet.

Ball is kicked down field-McLean tries to lean into Schaedler who gets out of the way-McLean falls over-referee 50 yards behind play gives a penalty and that's another season we don't win the cup as we lose one nil.

basehibby
04-12-2011, 01:34 PM
1. Boozy getting sent off at ER when a hun fouled him (might have been The Fat Hun).
b. The Fat Hun forearm-smashing Zemmama at Ipox.

:agree: What was even more jaw dropping was Hugh Dallas - supposedly Scotland's best referee at the time - REFUSING to change his decision on appeal despite it being shown explicitly to be wrong in TV replays. Trully jaw dropping stuff which made you wonder if the celtic fans were actually right in labelling him a cheating hun sympathiser.

WindyMiller
04-12-2011, 01:43 PM

Think it was Mc Lean in 1971/72.

Sodje_18
04-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Just about any decision the old firm have gotten, take your pick.

ForrieGreen
04-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Boltonhibs persisting in sporting a Frank Cannon style moustache when they had clearly gone out of fashion 5 or 6 years earlier.

Saying that, he did go to some funny clubs in those days, where most of the men wore them?

Frank Cannon? more like Stan Ogden lol

triciacapri
04-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Without a doubt that was a sore one for anyone that was there

Kato
04-12-2011, 10:58 PM
There was also the game at Ibrox when Andy Goram (still at Hibs) was left lying unconscious in his box for over a minute. He was permited treatment only after the huns had scored.

I was in the Rangers end on my own for that one. The old enclosure when it was the last standing room at Ibrox. Strange days. Did Goram not swallow his tongue?

silverhibee
04-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Scott McDonalds tackle on David Van Zanten at Parkhead, how he never got sent of for that tackle i dont know, meant to do him and how he never broke DVZ leg amazes me, every supporter at that game celtc fans included new it would be red for SM, surprise surprise the ref showed a yellow to him.