PDA

View Full Version : First impressions of Hibs under Fenlon and predictions?

Northernhibee
03-12-2011, 12:24 PM
I think we're in for a bright future under Fenlon, we look as if we will be a fit, efficient well laid out team who will be dangerous on the counter.

Can see Hanlon, Booth, Spoony, Stephens and Stevenson benefit, think we'll see the best from what we have as opposed to Ccs sign anything that walks approach.

I think we'll get something against Rangers too.

Fenlon will make or break Pallson, but I think the young lad will respond in a positive manner.

Ggtth

brydekirk
03-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Hope u r right about palson, also think young david stephens could turn into a good player.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2011, 02:06 PM
I think we're in for a bright future under Fenlon, we look as if we will be a fit, efficient well laid out team who will be dangerous on the counter.

Can see Hanlon, Booth, Spoony, Stephens and Stevenson benefit, think we'll see the best from what we have as opposed to Ccs sign anything that walks approach.

Fenlon will make or break Pallson, but I think the young lad will respond in a positive manner.

Ggtth

He must be a miracle worker if we are suddenly fitter after 3 or 4 days training?

Although i will say if you are organised, and set up correctly with players looking to impress, and dare i say it trying harder for the new manager, you will immediately look as if you look fitter without actually being any fitter.

And again if what i say is true, its still a worry those players can pick and choose when they want to give their all.

Fenlon needs imo to weed those players out, perhaps he's already started?

snooky
03-12-2011, 02:12 PM
He must be a miracle worker if we are suddenly fitter after 3 or 4 days training?

Although i will say if you are organised, and set up correctly with players looking to impress, and dare i say it trying harder for the new manager, you will immediately look as if you look fitter without actually being any fitter.

And again if what i say is true, its still a worry those players can pick and choose when they want to give their all.

Double-edged sword here.
If they only try when it suits them - get rid of
If they're not good enough - get rid of

Jeez, where did oor team go? :dunno:

:wink:

MWHIBBIES
03-12-2011, 02:14 PM
We defended corners very well so he is a vast improvement already

LancashireHibby
03-12-2011, 02:15 PM

That was a big encouragement for me as well as 'Well put us under a fair amount of pressure towards the end of the 'game' and we seemed to cope with it pretty comfortably with Stack only having to make one serious save.

Let's not get too giddy though, plenty of work to do yet.

Carheenlea
03-12-2011, 02:43 PM

That is true, but remember Pat Fenlon was sat in the stand at McDairmid Park last week and that was one of the worst displays I`ve seen from this Hibs team. Regardless of whether or not he was in the dug out or stand, you would have expected the players to be bursting a gut to impress.

Last night for me was very encouraging, the players looked like they understood the system and tactics, and the workrate was considerably improved. You have raised the point on many occasions about good managers being able to get performances and results from any squad of players at his disposal (like the arguments about Calderwood working with Yogi`s squad). I think we can see already that Pat Fenlon could well possess the skills required to get a decent team on the park with the squad we have.

tamig
03-12-2011, 02:49 PM

Ggtth

After reading what the bohs guy on here had to say when we were first linked with PF, I've had a good feeling about this appointment. Hopefully last night is the start of some good times ahead. The players certainly seem to have responded to the new coaching team.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2011, 02:52 PM
That is true, but remember Pat Fenlon was sat in the stand at McDairmid Park last week and that was one of the worst displays I`ve seen from this Hibs team. Regardless of whether or not he was in the dug out or stand, you would have expected the players to be bursting a gut to impress.

Last night for me was very encouraging, the players looked like they understood the system and tactics, and the workrate was considerably improved. You have raised the point on many occasions about good managers being able to get performances and results from any squad of players at his disposal (like the arguments about Calderwood working with Yogi`s squad). I think we can see already that Pat Fenlon could well possess the skills required to get a decent team on the park with the squad we have.

If this is true, and i really hope its the case then i will have been wrong, and we do have decent players. My gut feeling though, is we dont.

I think you get from a game what you put in, and we generally get little. I dont think players who are any good pick and choose when they want to play, and for that reason Paddy needs to weed those out who imo are only giving that bit more because we have a new manager.

As i said though i could be wrong, and Fenlon has just done the basics right and got us better by doing just that. I will have to wait a few weeks before being convinced about that though.

Dashing Bob S
03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
If this is true, and i really hope its the case then i will have been wrong, and we do have decent players. My gut feeling though, is we dont.

I think you get from a game what you put in, and we generally get little. I dont think players who are any good pick and choose when they want to play, and for that reason Paddy needs to weed those out who imo are only giving that bit more because we have a new manager.

As i said though i could be wrong, and Fenlon has just done the basics right and got us better by doing just that. I will have to wait a few weeks before being convinced about that though.

I think its both, we don't have a vastly talented squad, but they are badly organised and lack leadership. Hopefully Fenlon will provide the latter aspects and we'll get better performances out of some.

However, my gut still says that a lot of those players aren't good enough, even for the relatively modest ambitions of top four finishes and good cup runs, and I've no doubt Fenlon will be looking to get rid of some and bring in some new guys.

Spike Mandela
03-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Who is to say we wouldn't have had our customary collapse last night in the second half? Next few games will give us better early impressions of Pat Fenlon's Hibs. Avoiding defeat at Aberdeen and Dundee Utd will be a start.

franks
03-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Was pretty neutral about PF appointment but certainly prepared to give the guy a chance. Was at FP last night and thought Hibs played well for the first half hour. Was a bit worried towards half time because Well were really putting us under a bit of pressure. I was looking forward to the second half to see if PF could inspire Hibs to regain the initiative.

After last night I have to say I'm quite positive but of course early days yet.

Onwards and upwards. :pfgwa

Alfred E Newman
03-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Who is to say we wouldn't have had our customary collapse last night in the second half? Next few games will give us better early impressions of Pat Fenlon's Hibs. Avoiding defeat at Aberdeen and Dundee Utd will be a start.

Good point. Last night performance was the best I have seen from Hibs this season. Plenty effort from the players, we looked to have a bit of pace for the first time this season, there was a shape to the side and the players seemed to know what their role was. How they would have reacted to the loss of a goal or going behind would have been the real test.

thebakerboy
03-12-2011, 07:24 PM

Was not able to go through last night but wonder if he has ditched Zonal Marking and returned to man marking which may have showed in this manner.

Northernhibee
04-12-2011, 12:43 AM

I can't see Fenlon accepting unfit players, I get the feeling he's going to have every player with a well defined role, and will have the players fit so we can switch from attack to defence and vice versa in the blink of an eye - just a gut feeling.

Either way, I think that by gving everyone a well defined purpose to play, it's going to help Booth, Spoony, Stephens, Hanlon and the other promising youngsters develop - he's already appearing to doin five days what CC failed to do in twelve months and that's get the majority of the team looking as if they want to play for Hibs.

frazeHFC
04-12-2011, 12:53 AM
I don't think they are fitter in such a short space of time, but they looked it because they showed a will to get to the ball first and make runs. Osbourne looked good a bit further up the pitch aswell.

It's a huge shame it was called off because who knows we could have gone on to win as we looked much better.

Bring on the Huns! :thumbsup:

SurferRosa
04-12-2011, 02:38 AM
I `m looking forward tae life under Nutsy....in the job less than a week and has shown more excitement and enthusiasm than Calderwood managed in over a year.

His record in Ireland shows that the guy is a winner and has a winners mindset. That is what is important IMO.....a manager who knows how tae win...

That`s enough for me.....no expecting miracles, but a steady improvement over the next year is what i hope for....

I`ve got faith in the man......GGTTH.
:pfgwa

IWasThere2016
04-12-2011, 06:24 AM
:pfgwa

oldbiker
04-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Perhaps its the mental fitness thing, mindset can have a big impact on your physical fitness and stamina. Motivated players always look fitter and have thier heads up.

Hope this is one of PF strengths.

Has a right feeling to it and would it not be great to stick one on the currant buns next

:flag:

Northernhibee
04-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Perhaps its the mental fitness thing, mindset can have a big impact on your physical fitness and stamina. Motivated players always look fitter and have thier heads up.

Hope this is one of PF strengths.

Has a right feeling to it and would it not be great to stick one on the currant buns next

:flag:

I think that Sally will be nervous about this one - a motivated team with a new manager he won't know a massive amount about?

matty_f
04-12-2011, 12:06 PM
I think he'll get his work ethic across, and I think the lack of a work ethic was something that Billy Brown has highlighted.

Hopefully the players get a bit of a rude awakening and start to set the bar a bit higher at Hibs with respect to how they go about everything.

I think Fenlon's in a great position in a way, none of the players have really set themselves out as a 'must-keep', none are attracting lots of interest from other clubs, and most are on short contracts, so he doesn't have to worry too much about upsetting the squad. If one or two (or more!) players spit the dummy he has a great opportunity to empty them shortly, and from what has been posted about a couple of players already, he's not been shy in making players a)know who's boss, and b) know what's expected of them.

I think Fenlon, Brown, and O'Brien all have the hard work mantra in common, I don't think Brown was impressed at all at how Hibs were being trained, he alluded to it when he was interviewed as caretaker manager, and I think the fact that the first thing Fenlon did after speaking to Brown was keep him on and change the coaching staff probably is testament to that.

How he'll be as a tactician and a motivator remains to be seen, but the fact he's been successful elsewhere suggests that he knows what he's all about.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of players he brings to the club.