PDA

View Full Version : Is Hanlon good enough for the Championship?

RiseAbove
02-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Heard a rumour that Hanlon is keen to move down south, possibly Birmingham if Calderwood would take him, do you think he is good enough for the Championship?

Since90+2
02-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Heard a rumour that Hanlon is keen to move down south, possibly Birmingham if Calderwood would take him, do you think he is good enough for the Championship?

Where did you hear the rumour?

Elephant Stone
02-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Not yet. If the standard of CH in the Championship is round about Bamba's level Hanlon would have some distance to go yet, Bamba was a complete stick out in our team, Hanlon is some way behind.

sambajustice
02-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Is he good enough for the SPL is a more pertinent no??

Our league position would suggest not!

scoopyboy
02-12-2011, 03:06 PM

My info is he would like to play in England but not for another 2 or 3 years.

No great surprise as most players would be the same.

Kammy1875
:faf::faf:

Sir David Gray
I'm not sure that any of our squad is currently playing at a level that is anywhere near good enough for the Championship.

scoopyboy
02-12-2011, 03:08 PM

Aye, we are in 9th because of Paul Hanlon right enough.

RiseAbove
The guy certainly has talent but personally i dont think the he is good enough but it would appear that he does.

Billy Whizz
Calderwood didn't think he was good enough to play centre back at Hibs, hence the reason he was shipped to left back

GreenPJ
Yes he is but hope he stays around for a bit longer.

The Sea-gull
02-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Overall, from what I have see from him in a Hibs shirt so far, then probably not Championship material for me.

Don't like being harsh but starting to wonder if he ever has or ever will be that good for us.

Hope PF can restore his confidence - needs better, more experienced defenders to play alongside.

Sergeant Hibs
02-12-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure that any of our squad is currently playing at a level that is anywhere near good enough for the Championship.

Coz GOC has never proved himself at championship level before right enough and I'm sure Ozzy could cut it there too

BoltonHibee
02-12-2011, 03:26 PM
I think he is found wanting in the SPL let alone the Championship.

His weak points are, very slow and lumbering, poor positional sense and terrible distribution. I think he looks sluggish and overweight. He is a poor Centre Back and and even worse left back!

I think this season is make or break for him.

RickyS
02-12-2011, 03:37 PM

His weak points are, very slow and lumbering, poor positional sense and terrible distribution. I think he looks sluggish and overweight. He is a poor Centre Back and and even worse left back!

exactly my thoughts, i know he is young but i just don't see anything special in him. championship level. no chance

Beefster
02-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Hanlon's as much at fault as the rest of them.

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2011, 03:46 PM
I have seen him play some very good games, and some pretty poor ones too. I have had my doubts about him for a while, he's just not progressed as much as i hoped he would.

I think he has to start improving very soon, or he could see himself part of the cull Fenlon surely must have in January and the end of the season.

ShanksSaidNo
02-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Not entirely but he has certainly played his part.

I think Hanlon would struggle in the Championship as he lacks the natural aggression all top centre halves possess!

Sir David Gray
02-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Coz GOC has never proved himself at championship level before right enough and I'm sure Ozzy could cut it there too

Read my post again properly before giving me a hard time.

I said that none of our squad is currently playing at a level that is good enough for the Championship.

Do you seriously think that Garry O'Connor would get a game for any Championship side at the moment, given the way that he has been playing over the past 6 weeks or so? I know that there are probably valid reasons behind his dip in form but he's still not been playing well recently.

The fact that we are two points from the bottom of an awful SPL probably tells you that there won't be too many Hibs players in hot demand for Championship clubs at the moment.

Ireallywasthere
02-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Remember when we used to dread the transfer window, who would we lose, who would go along the M8 - changed days now !

Franck Stanton
02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
IMO not even good enough for the SPL. Lot of people have, in the past, stated he is a top prospect, well, maybe they can see something I cant, but, for past few seasons he has been, at best, decidedly average.

Golden Bear
02-12-2011, 04:45 PM
He's not good enough just now but at 21 years old he's far from being the finished article.

Kenny Miller has continued to improve throughout his career and I think Paul Hanlon could do likewise.

Gala Foxes
02-12-2011, 04:54 PM
on current form only way he would get in the Championship would be if he is playing himself in his team in "Football Manager 2012"

keep the faith
02-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Where did you hear the rumour?

The answer to that question would actually decide if this is even an issue for discussion or just speculative stuff.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Ah someone who knows the secret of good comedy !

Cabbage East
02-12-2011, 05:05 PM
If he's good enough for the SPL then he's good enough for the English Championship. The jury's still out on whether he is though.

PeterboroHibee
02-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Laughable people are writing off a 21 year old. Sure hes not on the best form, but hes been playing alongside absolute garbage for the last couple of years; the defence as a whole is a shambles, and whilst he has contributed to that, its not exactly all his fault. He should be learning his trade at the moment, yet imo, often comes across as the more senior player in the defence.

He also wouldnt be the captain of the U21s if people who actually knew about the game didnt rate him. Every time he plays for them he seems to do well, which suggests he really isnt one of the main problems in the defence at Hibs.

greenlex
02-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes.

Hakim Sar
02-12-2011, 05:35 PM

Absolutely brilliant assessment IMHO. I think Hanlon is very poor and I feel we are guilty as a fanbase of looking at him with the green tinted goggles. Just a wretched CH.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2011, 05:42 PM
I wouldnae want to see him in The Hammers defence!

CapitalHibs
02-12-2011, 05:45 PM
My info is he would like to play in England but not for another 2 or 3 years.

No great surprise as most players would be the same.

Some potentially good centre halfs coming through the U19's, I believe.:aok: Scott Smith, Jordan Forster and of course, Adam Mitter:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2011, 05:47 PM
If he's good enough for the SPL then he's good enough for the English Championship. That statement deserves a bit more thought!

Paisley Hibby
02-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Laughable people are writing off a 21 year old. Sure hes not on the best form, but hes been playing alongside absolute garbage for the last couple of years; the defence as a whole is a shambles, and whilst he has contributed to that, its not exactly all his fault. He should be learning his trade at the moment, yet imo, often comes across as the more senior player in the defence.

He also wouldnt be the captain of the U21s if people who actually knew about the game didnt rate him. Every time he plays for them he seems to do well, which suggests he really isnt one of the main problems in the defence at Hibs.

Well said :top marks

whiskyhibby
02-12-2011, 05:49 PM

Absolute BS one man doesn't make a team

Septimus
02-12-2011, 05:50 PM
I doubt whether or not Calderwood would have the faintest notion of Hanlon's ability. This is the man that brought in O'Hanlon.

BSEJVT
02-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Well said :top marks

Agreed

FFS he is a boy who has been asked to do a man's job for far too long without any help.

Its truly come to something when we start rubbishing our young players, who at least have the possibility of kicking on, before our older players who have no chance and who a fat more deserving of our ire for general pishness and for failing to help the younger ones develop as well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Im not sure who is writing him off, it would be a completely differently worded question from the OP before folk started that!

Viva_Palmeiras
02-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Im not sure who is writing him off, it would be a completely differently worded question from the OP before folk started that!

I agree if anything I'm writing off the op whats brought this question on?

Saorsa
02-12-2011, 06:03 PM

He also wouldnt be the captain of the U21s if people who actually knew about the game didnt rate him. Every time he plays for them he seems to do well, which suggests he really isnt one of the main problems in the defence at Hibs.:agree::top marks

Agreed

FFS he is a boy who has been asked to do a man's job for far too long without any help.

Its truly come to something when we start rubbishing our young players, who at least have the possibility of kicking on, before our older players who have no chance and who a fat more deserving of our ire for general pishness and for failing to help the younger ones develop as well.:top marks:agree:

sambajustice
02-12-2011, 06:05 PM
If he's good enough for the SPL then he's good enough for the English Conference Championship.

Fixed that typo for you!

Celtic and Rangers arent even good enough for the championship!

Bostonhibby
02-12-2011, 06:16 PM

This is where I am as well, had loads of potential, still young so who knows but has gone progressively backwards in poor teams at a stage where he could have done with better around him.

Absolutely no evidence that CC the miracle working coach done him any favours at all other than throwing him in at the deep end every week, he has often been caught out of position when we have lost goals. Interesting that he looks good at Scotland level, different coaching and maybe at the level he should be at at this point in his development. Maybe expecting too much but for me his defending has been one part of the problem.

Shame.

NOLA
02-12-2011, 06:39 PM
I dont think we will see the best of Hanlon while at Hibs, I do think he will go onto have a good career at a higher level for club + country.

Tricla
02-12-2011, 06:46 PM

Rubbish.

He's had some poor games for Hibs this season, granted. He, like the rest of the defence have had had to face months of bombardment from opposition attackers due to having a dross midfield in front of them.

That, coupled with a club wide lack of confidence has seen him have these poor games IMO.

Look how he has performed on the international stage. There is definitely a quality player there.

TheCabbage
02-12-2011, 07:30 PM
I know the Scottish scout for Huddersfield Town & I know he is at Fir Park watching Hanlon tonight

Part/Time Supporter
02-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Bamba was getting slaughtered on here at times last season, he is now commonly rated as the best centre back in the Championship.

sambajustice
02-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Bamba was getting slaughtered on here at times last season, he is now commonly rated as the best centre back in the Championship.

I would rather have stephen mcmanus than sol bamba!

AlbertK86
02-12-2011, 09:58 PM
i've never been Hanlon's biggest fan but thought he was excellent tonight. Went in hard and looked determined that the speed merchant Humphries wasn't getting past him. Well done son... Much more like it

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2011, 10:01 PM
He was never troubled in the 2nd half.

stoneyburn hibs
02-12-2011, 10:06 PM
i've never been Hanlon's biggest fan but thought he was excellent tonight. Went in hard and looked determined that the speed merchant Humphries wasn't getting past him. Well done son... Much more like it

:agree: played excellent against humphries, never let him get much of a look in , champ material on that form , over a season no he isnt , but new manager and all that

SteveHFC
02-12-2011, 11:11 PM
I know the Scottish scout for Huddersfield Town & I know he is at Fir Park watching Hanlon tonight

Maybe they could swap us Rhodes in exchange for Hanlon :devil:

Jones28
03-12-2011, 11:56 AM
I think he may be at the right time to move, just for fear of him stagnating.

If he's up against better opposition he will get better, if he gets the chance he should take it :agree:

keep the faith
03-12-2011, 12:13 PM
He was never troubled in the 2nd half.

Very good!