PDA

View Full Version : What qualifies someone as a "Football Person"?

Hibbyradge
02-12-2011, 11:29 AM
I've read a lot of cliches about Rod Petrie and co not being "football people", but I don't really know what that means.

Petrie has been involved in football for 15 years, more than most of our first team players and longer than many of his critics have been watching Hibs.

Why does this not qualify him as a football person? :confused:

Fred MacAuley is a well known TV and Radio presenter and stand up comedian. No-one would argue with that or say he wasn't a "comedy person" (although people may not find his style to their taste), yet he used to be an accountant too.

Personally, I wouldn't look to ex-footballers to run football clubs. Usually players neglected their education to pursue sport and they wouldn't have the skills to run a multi-million pound football club, although I accept that this is a generalisation.

So, what constitutes a "football person"?

Kammy1875
02-12-2011, 11:30 AM
I've read a lot of cliches about Rod Petrie and co not being "football people", but I don't really know what that means.

Petrie has been involved in football for 15 years, more than most of our first team players and longer than many of his critics have been watching Hibs.

Fred MacAuley is a well known TV and Radio presenter and stand up comedian. No-one would argue with that or say he wasn't a "comedy person" (although people may not find his style to their taste), yet he used to be an accountant too.

Personally, I wouldn't look to ex-footballers to run football clubs. Usually players neglected their education to pursue sport and they wouldn't have the skills to run a multi-million pound football club, although I accept that this is a generalisation.

Someone who concentrates mainly on the football side of the business rather than the finances.

Someone who has played the game at a Professional level.

aberhibsfc
02-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Mibbies Yogi kens wan.

andy1875
02-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Definition of a football person = Pat Nevin :greengrin

Captain Trips
02-12-2011, 11:45 AM

I do not think it is a matter of being a football person or not, footballing decisions are not one of his strengths so for me it is a matter of competence. I think the Hibs board have bee quite poor over last few years over certain key areas.

marinello59
02-12-2011, 11:54 AM
I do not think it is a matter of being a football person or not, footballing decisions are not one of his strengths so for me it is a matter of competence. I think the Hibs board have bee quite poor over last few years over certain key areas.

You should have said something about this sooner.

:greengrin

Kojock
02-12-2011, 11:54 AM
To me this guy looks the part.

sambajustice
02-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Fitba fowk ken whit Fitba fowk are a' aboot!!! :agree:

Mikey
02-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Rod can count. That automatically disqualifies him as a football person.

BTW, the question was asked back in February 2008 and the answer remains the same no doubt.

Post 1, question 13..............

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?108416-Question-amp-Answer-Session-With-Hibs

Brizo
02-12-2011, 12:11 PM
The main criteria for being a "football person" is that you must be able to add a y to the end of your name ..... doddsy , giggsy , coisty , broony.

Alex Ferguson only qualifies as a football person because Fergie sounds like Fergy. Pele only qualifies because Pele sounds like Pely

Its quite simple really. No coincidence that our last good manager was Mowbrayy

Mikey
02-12-2011, 12:17 PM
The main criteria for being a "football person" is that you must be able to add a y to the end of your name ..... doddsy , giggsy , coisty , broony.

Alex Ferguson only qualifies as a football person because Fergie sounds like Fergy. Pele only qualifies because Pele sounds like Pely

Not so. CC spent so much time in England he was usually awayy.

Captain Trips
02-12-2011, 12:22 PM
You should have said something about this sooner.

Well it is a thread about RP after all.:wink:

ScottB
02-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Definition of a football person = Pat Nevin :greengrin

I do love his constant citing as someone we should have on the Board.

While he his some decent chat on the TV, his time on the Board at Motherwell saw the club nearly destroyed and them screw over the playing staff and local companies in the process.

I'll stick with what we have!

ShanksSaidNo
02-12-2011, 12:24 PM

:agree:

Shanksy

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Aberdeen have one in Willie miller.

andy1875
02-12-2011, 12:35 PM
I do love his constant citing as someone we should have on the Board.

While he his some decent chat on the TV, his time on the Board at Motherwell saw the club nearly destroyed and them screw over the playing staff and local companies in the process.

I'll stick with what we have!

I was at the wind up mate. Wee Pat seems to be continually linked everytime a vacancy arises at E.R.
We are crying out for a winger mind........:aok:

Mikey
02-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Case closed :cb

Twa Cairpets
02-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Someone who concentrates mainly on the football side of the business rather than the finances.

Someone who has played the game at a Professional level.

By the football side do you mean team affairs? That would be the manager then or maybe Director of Football. The person who runs the club - a £10million pund business in our case, should absolutely be someone who understands finance. Almost the last person I would want running the club would be someone who meets yours criteria of being a football person, certainly not unless they've had some post-football experience of the real world, running businesses, managing staff etc.

Knowing where to position your body if you're being run at by a left footed winger in order to minimise their chances of getting a shot or cross in has no relevance to a persons ability to be able to manage a business.

As for "playing at a professional level" - yes, it'll help no doubt, but an ability to understand how to coach pro-footballers and how to manage staff is even better. Its on eof the reasons why Mixu is where he is now after his Hibs experience. Realised he wasnt great at managing, then went away to learn and study, and is doing really well as a result. Wenger is doing ok. Villas Boas has got a decent gig.

Do you count if you played for 10 years for Accrington, or do you have to play at the top level?

The myth of the "football man" running a club is just that - a myth. It's a club used to beat someone who you dont like, but cant articulate why. By the way, I'm no particular fan of the 'tache, but I think he does a good job for us by and large. Give me RP any day of the week over some of the club Directors elsewhere any day of the week.

bighairyfaeleith
02-12-2011, 12:43 PM

what about yogy then?

Hibbyradge
02-12-2011, 12:49 PM
By the football side do you mean team affairs? That would be the manager then or maybe Director of Football. The person who runs the club - a £10million pund business in our case, should absolutely be someone who understands finance. Almost the last person I would want running the club would be someone who meets yours criteria of being a football person, certainly not unless they've had some post-football experience of the real world, running businesses, managing staff etc.

Knowing where to position your body if you're being run at by a left footed winger in order to minimise their chances of getting a shot or cross in has no relevance to a persons ability to be able to manage a business.

As for "playing at a professional level" - yes, it'll help no doubt, but an ability to understand how to coach pro-footballers and how to manage staff is even better. Its on eof the reasons why Mixu is where he is now after his Hibs experience. Realised he wasnt great at managing, then went away to learn and study, and is doing really well as a result. Wenger is doing ok. Villas Boas has got a decent gig.

Do you count if you played for 10 years for Accrington, or do you have to play at the top level?

The myth of the "football man" running a club is just that - a myth. It's a club used to beat someone who you dont like, but cant articulate why. By the way, I'm no particular fan of the 'tache, but I think he does a good job for us by and large. Give me RP any day of the week over some of the club Directors elsewhere any day of the week.

That's what I'm talking about! :wink:

Craig_in_Prague
02-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Softly spoken and must have a 6 pack.

jdships
02-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Fitba fowk ken whit Fitba fowk are a' aboot!!! :agree:

:top marks
Sliding towards " I am a better football person than you because ......................"
Had enough with I am a better supporter than you because......................." threads without another one

:greengrin:wink::rolleyes:

Captain Trips
02-12-2011, 01:11 PM

There has to be a balance though. All to often there is a seperation of infrastructure issues and football issues his or their job is dealing with both together, the reason there is a seperation is the contrast between both elements, as succesful they have been in fiscal matters over last few years there has been pretty bad failure. It is not about being a football man or not it is about ability to do job as whole, IMO RP and co are not capable of doing the job as a whole the proof is in the bad SPL standings and manager changes, one 4th in 5 years is failure IMO.

Brizo
02-12-2011, 02:08 PM
what about yogy then?

Its maybe not as exact a science as I thought :greengrin

HibsMax
02-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Which decisions are you referring to? If you're talking about the managerial appointment failures, that has nothing to do with football. The wrong people get hired all the time in all walks of life, not just football. If someone's qualifications look good on paper, if the person comes to the club and interviews well and if their references check out, why shouldn't they be offered the job? I'm assuming you're talking about the managerial appointments, perhaps you mean something else?

Twa Cairpets
02-12-2011, 02:29 PM
There has to be a balance though. All to often there is a seperation of infrastructure issues and football issues his or their job is dealing with both together, the reason there is a seperation is the contrast between both elements, as succesful they have been in fiscal matters over last few years there has been pretty bad failure. It is not about being a football man or not it is about ability to do job as whole, IMO RP and co are not capable of doing the job as a whole the proof is in the bad SPL standings and manager changes, one 4th in 5 years is failure IMO.

I agree completely - the argument about whether or not RP has or hasnt done a good job is a whole different (and oft covered) debate.

Its just this obsession some people have either on here or in the stands or in the pub with him (RP) not being a football man. It's a very large barrel of nonsensical red herrings.

Captain Trips
02-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Which decisions are you referring to? If you're talking about the managerial appointment failures, that has nothing to do with football. The wrong people get hired all the time in all walks of life, not just football. If someone's qualifications look good on paper, if the person comes to the club and interviews well and if their references check out, why shouldn't they be offered the job? I'm assuming you're talking about the managerial appointments, perhaps you mean something else?

Yes the wrong people get hired it is still a mistake no matter what the CV looked like, it is the same when a manager buys a player whom looked like they would do a job but dont, eventually a manger gets that wrong to often they may lose job, so I do not see why it is different for the person hiring the manager if they make 2 or 3 wrong decisions on bounce.

I am not only talking about the manger appointments I am talking of the way we had and have so many players on short deals, it appears there has been no plan for the football side of things for a long time now and the board are a part of that.

ScottB
02-12-2011, 02:48 PM
I was at the wind up mate. Wee Pat seems to be continually linked everytime a vacancy arises at E.R.
We are crying out for a winger mind........:aok:

I assumed you were :agree:

marinello59
02-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Yes the wrong people get hired it is still a mistake no matter what the CV looked like, it is the same when a manager buys a player whom looked like they would do a job but dont, eventually a manger gets that wrong to often they may lose job, so I do not see why it is different for the person hiring the manager if they make 2 or 3 wrong decisions on bounce.

I am not only talking about the manger appointments I am talking of the way we had and have so many players on short deals, it appears there has been no plan for the football side of things for a long time now and the board are a part of that.

Thank heavens so many of this squad are on short term deals.:greengrin
Seriously, that's the way football is now. The more experienced (and decent) players are not going to sign a three of four year deal with Hibs because whether we like it or not they see a club like Hibs as a stepping stone to better things. That leaves us taking a punt on players who either have fallen from grace elsewhere or are nowhere near the finished product. Do you really think we should gamble on those type of players with long term contacts?

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Case closed :cb

:agree:

ronaldo7
02-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Windy:aok:

blackpoolhibs
02-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Windy:aok:

As captain of Aberdeens most successful side ever, and also manager of them. It only goes to show you can have a " football man " installed at your club, and its just another drain of a wage.

ballengeich
02-12-2011, 04:57 PM

Petriey - problem solved:greengrin

Captain Trips
02-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Thank heavens so many of this squad are on short term deals.:greengrin
Seriously, that's the way football is now. The more experienced (and decent) players are not going to sign a three of four year deal with Hibs because whether we like it or not they see a club like Hibs as a stepping stone to better things. That leaves us taking a punt on players who either have fallen from grace elsewhere or are nowhere near the finished product. Do you really think we should gamble on those type of players with long term contacts?

Yes is that not what we have always done? We just appear to have had managers not capable of finding them., it is what all clubs have done for years is sign players on contracts, we do what we have done since the club started find good players and sign them. Should we ever have gambled on any player we signed? It is not the way football is it is a route we have gone down clearly to the detrement of results as our SPL standings show since we started this.

There is no way changing so many key players as regular as we have been doing is any way forward, the task is to find good players and sign them up, I do not think all the other clubs are doing it to the level we have been. Bottom line is then if this is way forward then we are screwed as it does not work, players have always seen us as a stepping stone more or less so there is no difference on that front. Sorry marinello but the proof of the pudding is in eating of this and it is a failure.

Let us see if Pat and his crew can find players looking to sign for longer. Out of interest I checked some of the Motherwell squad and looked at their first team squad members. They have 8 players in the defenders section 5 of them have been at club for over 2 seasons, the other 3 are promoted youths and new signings, so I disagree on that is way football is now.

Absolutley get in a the odd short termer but not the amount we have been getting.

SanFranHibs
03-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Don't even know if that is how it is spelled !

Kaiser1962
03-12-2011, 05:42 AM

That boy Duffy talks a lot on the radio and was a professional player AND he's available? Or should we have offered CC a seat on the board and all would have been fine perhaps:greengrin

marinello59
03-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Yes is that not what we have always done? We just appear to have had managers not capable of finding them., it is what all clubs have done for years is sign players on contracts, we do what we have done since the club started find good players and sign them. Should we ever have gambled on any player we signed? It is not the way football is it is a route we have gone down clearly to the detrement of results as our SPL standings show since we started this.

There is no way changing so many key players as regular as we have been doing is any way forward, the task is to find good players and sign them up, I do not think all the other clubs are doing it to the level we have been. Bottom line is then if this is way forward then we are screwed as it does not work, players have always seen us as a stepping stone more or less so there is no difference on that front. Sorry marinello but the proof of the pudding is in eating of this and it is a failure.

Let us see if Pat and his crew can find players looking to sign for longer. Out of interest I checked some of the Motherwell squad and looked at their first team squad members. They have 8 players in the defenders section 5 of them have been at club for over 2 seasons, the other 3 are promoted youths and new signings, so I disagree on that is way football is now.

Absolutley get in a the odd short termer but not the amount we have been getting.

:confused:
So if we had signed the players on long term contracts we would be in a better position than we are now?

Captain Trips
03-12-2011, 02:13 PM
:confused:
So if we had signed the players on long term contracts we would be in a better position than we are now?

No if we had decent managers that sourced decent players then yes sign them up, luckily some are on short contracts but as a rule you source the players and try and get them on board your short termers should be your Garry Oconners etc not some folk who would be lucky to get a long deal.

If the manger cant get signings right regardless of contract length then he should be punted, Hughes and CC struggled, it is hard job but Fenlon has to get a stable squad or we will be no further forward I 100% believe.

WindyMiller
03-12-2011, 06:37 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9137647.stm

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9137647.stm)Our previous manager seemed to think that short term contracts were the way forward.

Captain Trips
03-12-2011, 08:03 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9137647.stm

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/9137647.stm)Our previous manager seemed to think that short term contracts were the way forward.

Indeed just backs my point up even more if he thinks that is way forward I would do opposite:wink:

hibsbollah
04-12-2011, 07:58 AM
....the ability to say 'top player','top top player' or even 'top top top player' where you mean 'good player'.

....the desire to wear lurid pastel cardigans masquerading as 'golf wear' and enjoy a good carvery instead of eating at proper restaurants.

...speaking in cliches 'giving 110%'.

Hibbyradge
04-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Indeed just backs my point up even more if he thinks that is way forward I would do opposite:wink:

In your original post, you blamed the board for signing players on short term contracts, presumably, as you posted on a thread about that subject, because they were not "football people".

However, Windy has pointed out, football people think it's the way forward.

So stop backtracking! :na na:

Captain Trips
04-12-2011, 04:39 PM
In your original post, you blamed the board for signing players on short term contracts, presumably, as you posted on a thread about that subject, because they were not "football people".

However, Windy has pointed out, football people think it's the way forward.

So stop backtracking! :na na:

I think it is not way forward, CC thought it might be I hope you do not think he is a football person :wink:

I never said board were not football people just they are not very good at the football side of things.

blackpoolhibs
04-12-2011, 09:25 PM
How do we know who a good football person is? What qualities do they need to qualify?:confused: