02-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Yep, Sportsound tonight.

calmacuk
02-12-2011, 10:02 AM
According to the website it's online only commentary tonight:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15885108.stm

TowerHibs
02-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Yep and Tam Cowen is the summariser on the commentary!!!

Sir David Gray
02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
According to the website it's online only commentary tonight:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15885108.stm

I've just had a quick check to see what is on Radio Scotland tonight in place of the football.

Since Sportsound has the rights to broadcast live commentaries on the radio, I thought that they must have had something of much greater importance to broadcast tonight than a game of football.

Then I read their schedule!

On 92-95 FM this evening, at the time when the match will be going ahead, we have;

Finishing at 8pm:Get it on with Bryan Burnett
8pm-8.05pm:Radio Scotland News
8.05pm-10pm:Another Country with Ricky Ross

Then I thought, well maybe there's something on 810MW that might be more important, only to find that for THREE HOURS (from 7.05pm-10pm) they're having a discussion show about rugby!

I know they're broadcasting it over the internet but not everyone who's interested in football has internet access.

No wonder interest in our game is at an all-time low when the national broadcaster is snubbing one of the games on its radio format.

Is this serious?

I know they have other pundits who are summarisers, who have an interest in one of the teams they are watching, but most of them at least try to be serious.

I can't see Tam Cowan being too serious, or impartial for that matter, during a Motherwell match.

Unbelievable, if that is the case.

Kammy1875
02-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Egg chasing is on MW :rolleyes:

Jim44
02-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Is this serious?

I know they have other pundits who are summarisers, who have an interest in one of the teams they are watching, but most of them at least try to be serious.

I can't see Tam Cowan being too serious, or impartial for that matter, during a Motherwell match.

Unbelievable, if that is the case.

Let's face it, the Sportsound 'gang' treat Hibs as a bit of a joke these days. That's not a flippant comment by the way. I think that there is an intentional and universal policy of bating Hibs by the Sportsound team. Honest, I'm not being paranoic.

Kammy1875
02-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Let's face it, the Sportsound 'gang' treat Hibs as a bit of a joke these days. That's not a flippant comment by the way. I think that there is an intentional and universal policy of bating Hibs by the Sportsound team. Honest, I'm not being paranoic.

That's because we are absolute murder. Do you want them to lie? :confused:

Jim44
02-12-2011, 01:20 PM
That's because we are absolute murder. Do you want them to lie? :confused:

I agree with you but I think their preoccupation with our existence is quite pathetic and over the top.

Jones28
02-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Sportsound commentators are obsessed with berating and belittling Hibs at every oppertunity. My feeling is that it is because they see us as being over-aspirational for a club they feel is a mid-table one at best. The lot of them can GTF :agree:

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Sportsound commentators are obsessed with berating and belittling Hibs at every oppertunity. My feeling is that it is because they see us as being over-aspirational for a club they feel is a mid-table one at best. The lot of them can GTF :agree:

They do that indeed so why don't WE give them it back big time!, emails as down and dirty as you like..

:wink:

WhileTheChief..
02-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Then I thought, well maybe there's something on 810MW that might be more important, only to find that for THREE HOURS (from 7.05pm-10pm) they're having a discussion show about rugby!

I know they're broadcasting it over the internet but not everyone who's interested in football has internet access.

No wonder interest in our game is at an all-time low when the national broadcaster is snubbing one of the games on its radio format.

Cant really complain about this as they have the rugby show on every Friday night and it would be pretty unfair on their listeners to dump that just because the SPL are trying something new.

Kammy1875
02-12-2011, 02:06 PM
I agree with you but I think their preoccupation with our existence is quite pathetic and over the top.

I disagree mate, they call it like they see it. We are major under achieving and the club is rotten from top to bottom at the moment.

When we played under Mowbray then JC they were gushing at the mere mention of us, our football, youngsters and then training ground and stadium.

Sir David Gray
02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Cant really complain about this as they have the rugby show on every Friday night and it would be pretty unfair on their listeners to dump that just because the SPL are trying something new.

Fair enough (I still think a 3 hour show on rugby is over the top though) but I think they could have found space on their FM schedule to broadcast the match.

Put it this way, if Rangers or Celtic ever play on a Friday night (I know it's unlikely due to police guidelines) then there's no way that the game wouldn't be broadcast on the radio.

Sean1875
02-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Fair enough (I still think a 3 hour show on rugby is over the top though) but I think they could have found space on their FM schedule to broadcast the match.

Put it this way, if Rangers or Celtic ever play on a Friday night (I know it's unlikely due to police guidelines) then there's no way that the game wouldn't be broadcast on the radio.
But you've also got to consider that the Rangers or Celtic fanbase is much bigger than probably Hibs and Motherwell put together so would be a much higher demand. Not disagreeing though as I think the audience for this would be much higher than 'Another Country with Rick Ross' or whatever pish it was. That can be easily rearranged for after the football surely.

HibsMax
02-12-2011, 03:23 PM
That sucks because I can't get BBC commentary over here. Nothing on Hibs TV (audio). Maybe people like me are few and far between but surely there is something that can be done to allow overseas listeners access to the stream? OK, I don't pay for a license but I would pay a nominal fee (yearly or a la carte) for the privilege to listen to commentary.

Kammy1875
02-12-2011, 03:30 PM
That sucks because I can't get BBC commentary over here. Nothing on Hibs TV (audio). Maybe people like me are few and far between but surely there is something that can be done to allow overseas listeners access to the stream? OK, I don't pay for a license but I would pay a nominal fee (yearly or a la carte) for the privilege to listen to commentary.

Use a UK proxy?

http://www.freewebproxylist.com/UK_WebProxies.html

HibsMax
02-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Use a UK proxy?

http://www.freewebproxylist.com/UK_WebProxies.html

I can give that a try but every time I've tried in the past it hasn't worked for one reason or another. I should just teach my parents how to setup a proxy server back home and get them to stream it for me. Hmmmm. nah, they're 70, it would be quicker for me to swim over for the game. :)

Sir David Gray
02-12-2011, 03:39 PM
But you've also got to consider that the Rangers or Celtic fanbase is much bigger than probably Hibs and Motherwell put together so would be a much higher demand. Not disagreeing though as I think the audience for this would be much higher than 'Another Country with Rick Ross' or whatever pish it was. That can be easily rearranged for after the football surely.

Radio Scotland has exclusive live commentary on all SPL matches, not just those involving Rangers and Celtic. Now they'll argue that they're still providing a commentary tonight but my previous argument still stands. Not all football fans in this country have access to the internet. I'm assuming that the vast majority would be able to gain access to a radio.

The BBC is a public service broadcaster, it's paid for by everyone, not just Rangers and Celtic fans. I'm not saying they can't, or shouldn't, broadcast over the internet but if they are going to hold exclusive rights on SPL matches, they should first and foremost be broadcasting them on the radio, over and above their internet coverage.

Kammy1875
02-12-2011, 03:42 PM
I can give that a try but every time I've tried in the past it hasn't worked for one reason or another. I should just teach my parents how to setup a proxy server back home and get them to stream it for me. Hmmmm. nah, they're 70, it would be quicker for me to swim over for the game. :)

I have a justin tv account, ill get my brother to log on as me and broadcast the commentary if you want?

CapitalHibs
02-12-2011, 03:42 PM

Do you remember the days when Stuart Crowther used to stream Hibs games (about a 5 minute delay) on teletext or whatever it was called

HibsMax
02-12-2011, 03:44 PM
I have a justin tv account, ill get my brother to log on as me and broadcast the commentary if you want?

Thanks, I appreciate the effort, but I'll try the proxy server route first. :thumbsup:

The Sea-gull
02-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I agree with both Kammy1875 and Jim44.

In the mowbray era and for a wee while after he left we were the media darlings particularly on bbc radio sports-sound and real radio phone in, lauded by Ewan Cameron (massive jambo and massive other unmetionable things for those who don't know) of all people.

I honestly think some of the praise was over the top and led to some of our fans and players at the time believing we/they were better than we/they actually were.

The worm has really turned now and while we have been gone from being inconsistent for a year or two to just being plain honking in the last two years, the critisicism and anti hibs chat on sportsound is just as over the top as the praise we were getting a few years back.

Despite their yamish leanings, I would not cite alan preston and john robertson as the worst offenders which is a surprise. Ex-pros actually seem to channel criticism in a different manner to journalists.

The worst critic of Hibs seems to be the presenter Kenny McIntyre and I have no idea why. He is so negative and snidey when it comes to talking about us. Also bad for it are Rob Maclean, Jonathan Sutherland and Richard Gordon who I used to rate but for some reason he has really started to give it to us both barrels recently. A couple of times on Open all Mics when we have actually managed to score he has sounded gutted.

Even Tam Cowan and Stuart Cosgrove seem to be enjoying beating us up just now.

Nothing wrong with being told we are rubbish coz we all know we are but it is definitely done with a snidey and smug tone on BBC radio.

Kammy1875
02-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the effort, but I'll try the proxy server route first. :thumbsup:

Sound mate.