PDA

View Full Version : We Need The Benny Brasil Factor back.

nortonhibby
01-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Finest player to wear the green and white Imho brave as a lion not the most skillfull but wore his heart on his sleeve.

When there was a pen to take and everyone else turned there back Benny was the man.

Thats what we need now more with his desire.:flag:

Peevemor
01-12-2011, 09:36 PM
:trumpet:

:lolyam:

Twa Cairpets
01-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Finest player to wear the green and white Imho brave as a lion not the most skillfull but wore his heart on his sleeve.

When there was a pen to take and everyone else turned there back Benny was the man.

Wel that settles it for me

:troll::jamboclow:lolyam:

Kato
01-12-2011, 09:37 PM

You need to keep taking the tablets.

Sioux
01-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Now confirmed. you're a noblet.

Golden Bear
01-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Help ma boab.!

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Do yourself a favour OP go and have a lie down and wait until the alcohol/drugs wears off, until then...

:asshole:

:aok:

huggie1875
01-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Still mind his hat-trick v celic in a friendly back in the 80s outstanding

Benny Brazil
01-12-2011, 10:04 PM

I'm touched:greengrin

davidw
01-12-2011, 10:26 PM

Interesting. Are you at the computer on your own or is your carer with you?

He was absolutely sh*t, and I remember the old stadium heckling and booing him on several occasions. He did indeed score a hatrick in a 4-1 defeat of Sellik - but sadly (and very typically) it was a mid-winter friendly (everyone else's pitch was frozen) and there was nobody there to record it. So even when he was good, no-one actually knew it had ever happened.

FranckSuzy
01-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Interesting. Are you at the computer on your own or is your carer with you?

He was absolutely sh*t, and I remember the old stadium heckling and booing him on several occasions. He did indeed score a hatrick in a 4-1 defeat of Sellik - but sadly (and very typically) it was a mid-winter friendly (everyone else's pitch was frozen) and there was nobody there to record it. So even when he was good, no-one actually knew it had ever happened.

:faf:

sleeping giant
01-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Benny looked great on the auld football stickers :greengrin Not as ugly as Willie Irvine though. He was nearly Fulton material :flag:

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-12-2011, 10:30 PM
It wasnae 4 1 it was 6 3!

cabbageandribs1875
01-12-2011, 10:34 PM

utterly ridiculous :crazy:

but well done on getting the attention you were looking for :spammy:

:taxi for snortinhibby :agree:

tamig
01-12-2011, 10:34 PM
It wasnae 4 1 it was 6 3!

And I think there are a few of us who were there who definitely knew it happened.

Bostonhibby
01-12-2011, 10:39 PM
And I think there are a few of us who were there who definitely knew it happened.

:agree:Remember it. I don't think I will ever get misty eyed when I remember Benny but he would hold his own in recent Hibs sides and would certainly have put more effort into it to make up for his other shortcomings.

Stonewall
01-12-2011, 10:48 PM
I can only assume you never actually saw him play NH.

hibbybob
01-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Benny must have been doing something right to have played under 5 Hibs managers!

IIRC he played under Turnbull, Ormond, Auld, Stanton and Blackley before being emptied by Alex Miller.

BroxburnHibee
01-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Benny must have been doing something right to have played under 5 Hibs managers!

IIRC he played under Turnbull, Ormond, Auld, Stanton and Blackley before being emptied by Alex Miller.

Thats 6 :tee hee:

hibbybob
01-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Thats 6 :tee hee:

Ah - but I'm not sure he actually played for Lexo. He certainly got rid tho!

Carheenlea
01-12-2011, 11:45 PM
I may be wrong, but I'm sure Benny was an under 21 cap? His longevity baffled those of us who seen him play, but he was one who gave it his all for us. He was no Franz Beckenbauer, but then again, he was no Stuart Turnbull.

O'Rourke3
01-12-2011, 11:59 PM
I missed the 6-3 game because I couldn't get off shift at the Artisan. I've a very good friend who is extremely pally with Sir Patrick of Stanton who said, no-one could take the ball off of him in training.
Benny's problem seemed to be doing his job with an audience -which is a bit of a p*sser since he drives buses now.

Personally I never forgave him for not booting the ball into Albion Road when we were 1 up against Dundee United 90th minute - in the cup and lost the replay.

NOLA
02-12-2011, 12:19 AM
good old Benny :greengrin if you were having a shocker in the school team the subs would be right on your case "Benny-Benny Brasil":faf:

AK86
02-12-2011, 12:52 AM
I missed the 6-3 game because I couldn't get off shift at the Artisan. I've a very good friend who is extremely pally with Sir Patrick of Stanton who said, no-one could take the ball off of him in training.
Benny's problem seemed to be doing his job with an audience -which is a bit of a p*sser since he drives buses now.

Personally I never forgave him for not booting the ball into Albion Road when we were 1 up against Dundee United 90th minute - in the cup and lost the replay.

i remember that game well ( i think it went to 2 replays and we played them something like 4 times in 14 days) Nobody remembers who was at fault for the goal, just the fact Beny made the mistake that led to the corner.
He was never the most gifted player, but he was the scapegoat on many occasions. He was very typical of the calibre of player we had then (tom kite:rolleyes:) but his appearance lent itself to being a victim
It was disgraceful the treatment he recieved from the Hibs fans at times.
Never seen a player clear it off the line as many times as Beny did, and he was a very fit guy. I wished for better players but felt very sorry for the guy at times
He certainly had a better attitude and respect for our club than most at present

Saorsa
02-12-2011, 01:33 AM
I'm touched:greengrinSo is he :crazy:

Hibbyradge
02-12-2011, 02:08 AM
[/B]

i remember that game well ( i think it went to 2 replays and we played them something like 4 times in 14 days) Nobody remembers who was at fault for the goal, just the fact Beny made the mistake that led to the corner.
He was never the most gifted player, but he was the scapegoat on many occasions. He was very typical of the calibre of player we had then (tom kite:rolleyes:) but his appearance lent itself to being a victim
It was disgraceful the treatment he recieved from the Hibs fans at times.
Never seen a player clear it off the line as many times as Beny did, and he was a very fit guy. I wished for better players but felt very sorry for the guy at times
He certainly had a better attitude and respect for our club than most at present

I remember it well.

We were in the main stand for some reason. The game was about to end and Hibs were through, I thought.

I shook the hands of all my pals and said, "See you in the next round".

Benny conceded the corner and we were out.

My mate turned round to me and said, "That's your fault".

LOL

Hibs On Tour
02-12-2011, 07:00 AM

Did he no marry the chairmans daughter or somesuch? Or was that just an uncharitable comment? :greengrin

Hibs On Tour
02-12-2011, 07:01 AM

No sure about that - saw them training up the Jack Kane a few times and he was ****ing horrendous. Fell over the round fellae more than once when I was watching LOL :wink:

Hibrandenburg
02-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Benny was subjected to some of the worst personal abuse that I've heard at ER and that's saying something.

brog
02-12-2011, 09:45 AM
The OP published this nonsense previously. From memory Benny only ever took 2 pens, the famous friendly & then again in the pen shoot out, also against Celtc in the 4-4 game. Of course, when it mattered Benny missed that one but thankfully Celtc had Pierce O'Leary!! Benny became a first team choice after Sloop was sold & his first game, against St J I think, summed him up. Played superbly for 80 minutes, the EEN ready to say Sloop wouldn't be missed, then a horribly sclaffed pass back to concede a late winner. Definitely not a Stuart Turnbull but not in same class as Blackley etc, mind you not many were.

Peevemor
02-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Can you imaging if the internet and the likes of .net had existed in Benny's era? He would have been massacred on here, the abuse at ER would have turned really nasty and after a couple of seasons he'd probably have been out the door with his confidence shattered.

Kato
02-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Stanton got the best out of him as a holding midfielder and also managed to stop many of the errors. Benny could run all day so that role suited him.

Before then though he was a walking catatlogue of errors. There was never just a plain mistake, he always made glaring ones. Los tcount of the times he got the ball right in the face/nads.

Famous Fiver
02-12-2011, 10:07 AM
There is the famous story about Benny's hat trick against Celtic.

Remember this was the days before lap tops, mobiles, etc and communications are not as up to the minute as today.

John Blackley was the manager and he went away on a scouting mission that day so missed the game.
The story goes that when he phoned ER after the match he was told Hibs won 6-3 and Benny had scored a hat trick.

His reply was ' Who for?'

Says it all really.

heretoday
02-12-2011, 10:18 AM
More with his spirit, perhaps.

Fewer with his ability, please.

crewetollhibee
02-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Benny always fared well against Davie Cooper ironically. Had him in his back pocket in the '79 final(s).

Twa Cairpets
02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
I seem to remember a game at Love Street when Benny got carried off with a knee injury.

He was running along and then let out what can only be described as a blood curdling scream of agony before crumpling spectacularly. Anyone else corroborate this? - I'm worried I have false memory syndrome involving Benny Brazil, which would be a worry on many, many counts.

bringbackbenny
02-12-2011, 12:47 PM
I concur with the original poster :tin hat:

Only joking, just thought I'd live up to the user name :wink: . On a serious note Benny was diabolical on a bad day, on a good day just passable. Unfortunately for us Bennys bad days far outweighed the sporadic good days. Todays team need Bennys workrate together with 300% of his ability.

Hibiza
02-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Mind he went over on his ankle at Kilbowie, running in total isolation. Everyone (hibs) started laughing. Felt right sorry for him. Out for weeks.

nortonhibby
02-12-2011, 10:32 PM
There is the famous story about Benny's hat trick against Celtic.

Remember this was the days before lap tops, mobiles, etc and communications are not as up to the minute as today.

John Blackley was the manager and he went away on a scouting mission that day so missed the game.
The story goes that when he phoned ER after the match he was told Hibs won 6-3 and Benny had scored a hat trick.

His reply was ' Who for?'

Says it all really.

That was just one of Bennys finest moments say what you like Benny had fire in his belly passion and desire to win and play for the badge.
My OP Was to highlight this compared to the players who wear the jersey at the moment.
several beers may have also clouded my judgement.:flag:

qiut
03-12-2011, 01:54 PM
The worst Player I have ever seen in The Hibs Teams over the years.

Also has the missfortune to speak to him after losing tio Rangers 0-1 in the LC semi, we won 2-1 over the 2 legs so were in the final. Said to him "good result" and the twat tried to attack me.

An Earse of a Man and an Earse of a player.

tamig
03-12-2011, 02:53 PM

Also has the missfortune to speak to him after losing tio Rangers 0-1 in the LC semi, we won 2-1 over the 2 legs so were in the final. Said to him "good result" and the twat tried to attack me.

Maybe he was disappointed we lost to that Cooper free kick at Ibrox? A winner's mentality perhaps?

qiut
03-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Maw other jobs players were there and having a good laugh. The man is an earse

Gettin' Auld
03-12-2011, 03:08 PM

You can't even spell his name properly.........

Keith_M
03-12-2011, 03:49 PM
George Best is alleged to have said to John Blackley (I think), "that lad Benny thinks a 'lay off' is a day in your bed"

Made me smile :greengrin

AK86
03-12-2011, 04:23 PM

so you never seen the Miller boys? or brian welsh or lee power?

one can only imagine you spoke to him in the same manner as your post

qiut
03-12-2011, 04:56 PM
so you never seen the Miller boys? or brian welsh or lee power?

one can only imagine you spoke to him in the same manner as your post

Seen them all and none as bad a Brazil

Imagine what you want, you seem to assume a lot!!!!

Peevemor
03-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Stuart Turnbull made Benny look like Zidane.

ballengeich
03-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Once at Tannadice the ref called Benny over to give him a card for a foul to a chant of "Off Off Off" - from the Hibs support.

iwasthere1972
03-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Once at Tannadice the ref called Benny over to give him a card for a foul to a chant of "Off Off Off" - from the Hibs support.

:hilarious Brilliant

iwasthere1972
03-12-2011, 05:39 PM
You can't even spell his name properly.........

He's an imposter. Same guy who IIRC said in a recent thread that he could only remember Hibs winning 2 cups despite being in his late forties. :wink:

weecounty hibby
03-12-2011, 05:57 PM
I remember the Hearts fans cheering when his name was announced in the team before derbies. Still can't recollect him chucking in the towel during games the same way as some of our more recent "superstars" have done. If more of our supposedly better players had his attitude they would be even better players for it.