PDA

View Full Version : NHC Has Jeremy Clarkson Gone to Far?

Jack Ferrigan
01-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Clarkson was being interviewed on the One Show last evening regarding the strikes when this popped out.

He said: "I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families."

What planet is he on? Ordinary people are putting up with huge hardships and are genuinly concerned for their future.
It mustn't reach up to his ivory tower methinks.

Time for a short sharp shock for Jeremy what about a 3 month suspension without pay?

ScottB
01-12-2011, 08:12 AM
He's become a caricature of himself to be honest, particularly when working for the right wing rags that hire him.

He's basically trying to get a reaction and gone too far. It's a shame, because when he tries to do something genuine he can be pretty good still.

This is the journalism equivalent of trolling.

Betty Boop
01-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Clarkson was being interviewed on the One Show last evening regarding the strikes when this popped out.

He said: "I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families."

What planet is he on? Ordinary people are putting up with huge hardships and are genuinly concerned for their future.

Time for a short sharp shock for Jeremy what about a 3 month suspension without pay?

A Richard Hunt of the highest order !

hibsbollah
01-12-2011, 08:22 AM
A world without that man would be ****ing paradise on earth.

1two
01-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Surely working for the bbc he can't such comments without repercussions?
No that I'm really bothered, we all know he's just a tool. I'll let someone else be outraged for me.

greenginger
01-12-2011, 08:28 AM

I think he was making a joke about the BBC's need for a balance of opposing points of view . He started by saying the strike was fine and did'nt cause any in convenience and then continued with the comments you choose to quote.

It was a joke---- lighten-up for f***'s sake. :confused:

cocopops1875
01-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Plenty ordinary people don't get anything other than wages from their employers so all this "im entitled pi*h" really grinds my gears go on jezza

Hainan Hibs
01-12-2011, 09:26 AM
I saw this on the Tartan Army board regarding the Top Gear crew,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs)

lapsedhibee
01-12-2011, 10:32 AM
No. Far rather hear him make what are obviously tongue-in-cheek comments on what is obviously a light entertainment show than listen to the two 'sides' in the argument, ie trade union leaders and government ministers, repeat their own one or two points over and over and over and over and over and over again.

hibsbollah
01-12-2011, 01:51 PM
No. Far rather hear him make what are obviously tongue-in-cheek comments on what is obviously a light entertainment show than listen to the two 'sides' in the argument, ie trade union leaders and government ministers, repeat their own one or two points over and over and over and over and over and over again. I think its the double standards at work when it comes to freedom of speech/causing offence that pisses folk off. Four year sentence earlier this year for a lad posting encouragement to riot on facebook while he was drunk, the post was removed the following morning. One persons 'joke' is another persons 'incitement', especially whenn bbc pay him 1 million a year for the privilege. And hes a ****.

lapsedhibee
01-12-2011, 03:30 PM
I think its the double standards at work when it comes to freedom of speech/causing offence that pisses folk off. Four year sentence earlier this year for a lad posting encouragement to riot on facebook while he was drunk, the post was removed the following morning. One persons 'joke' is another persons 'incitement', especially whenn bbc pay him 1 million a year for the privilege. And hes a ****.

Shirley there's a difference there though, in that one was unequivocally jocular (whether or not you or I think it was actually funny being neither here nor there) and the other was either seriously intended or capable of being taken seriously (in other words, Jeremy Clarkson does not actually gun people down in front of their children when he's annoyed by them, whereas people do or did actually co-ordinate/encourage/whatever rioting/civil disorder/whatever by facebook/bbm/whatever)?

I agree that 4 years seems harsh (though being drunk is no sort of excuse - would dropping fire extinguishers at the polis be any less serious if you were pished when you did it?) but I think there's no real comparison to be made here.

Mon Dieu4
01-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I actually really like Clarkson, he is clearly a fisherman of the highest order as he seems to get a catch every single time he throws out one of these hooks :fishin:

Anyone like that is alright by me :agree:

hibsbollah
01-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I actually really like Clarkson, he is clearly a fisherman of the highest order as he seems to get a catch every single time he throws out one of these hooks :fishin:Anyone like that is alright by me :agree: Aye but youre slightly to the right of Genghis Khan :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
01-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Aye but youre slightly to the right of Genghis Khan :greengrin

:faf::not worth Possibly the best way i've ever been described

hibsbollah
01-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Shirley there's a difference there though, in that one was unequivocally jocular (whether or not you or I think it was actually funny being neither here nor there) and the other was either seriously intended or capable of being taken seriously (in other words, Jeremy Clarkson does not actually gun people down in front of their children when he's annoyed by them, whereas people do or did actually co-ordinate/encourage/whatever rioting/civil disorder/whatever by facebook/bbm/whatever)?I agree that 4 years seems harsh (though being drunk is no sort of excuse - would dropping fire extinguishers at the polis be any less serious if you were pished when you did it?) but I think there's no real comparison to be made here.The comparison is that if it DID make it to a court (i dont think it should for what its worth, id rather Prentis just challenged Clarkson to square goes as i said on another thread), the defence would be similar in both cases, and be a combination of a) it was just a joke/lighten up/my role as a post-modern ironic media donkey and b) my right to free speech as not guaranteed by the UKs non-existent constitution.What you are and are not allowed to say in this country seems to depend on the prevailing political mood and how rich you are.

Speedy
01-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Does anyone have a clip of the full conversation?

greenlex
01-12-2011, 06:14 PM
If anyone is disgusted or enraged by this buffoons light hearted comments then they need to have a look at themselves. Does anyone really take anything he says remotely serious?

Speedy
01-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Lot of crap imo, people are conveniently cherry picking their quotes to get a reaction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15993558

Here is a full transcript of an exchange involving Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson on BBC One light entertainment programme The One Show, in which he was asked about Wednesday's public sector strikes.

Matt Baker [presenter]: Well Jeremy, schools, hospitals, airports, even driving tests, have all been affected. Do you think the strikes have been a good idea?

Jeremy Clarkson [guest]: I think they have been fantastic. Absolutely. London today has just been empty. Everybody stayed at home, you can whizz about, restaurants are empty.

Alex Jones [presenter]: The traffic, actually, has been very good today.

Jeremy Clarkson: Airports, people streaming through with no problems at all. And it's also like being back in the 70s. It makes me feel at home somehow.

Matt Baker: Do you know anyone who has been on strike today?

Jeremy Clarkson: Of course I don't, no. What, somebody public service? No, I don't. No, absolutely. But we have to balance this though, because this is the BBC.

Matt Baker: Yes, exactly.

Jeremy Clarkson: Frankly, I'd have them all shot. I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families. I mean, how dare they go on strike when they have these gilt-edged pensions that are going to be guaranteed while the rest of us have to work for a living?

Matt Baker: Well, on that note of balancing an opinion, of course those are Jeremy's views.

Alex Jones: Only Jeremy's views.

Jeremy Clarkson: They're not. I've just given two views for you.

Scouse Hibee
01-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Love it, top man is Clarkson :greengrin

lapsedhibee
01-12-2011, 07:00 PM
The comparison is that if it DID make it to a court (i dont think it should for what its worth, id rather Prentis just challenged Clarkson to square goes as i said on another thread), the defence would be similar in both cases, and be a combination of a) it was just a joke/lighten up/my role as a post-modern ironic media donkey and b) my right to free speech as not guaranteed by the UKs non-existent constitution.What you are and are not allowed to say in this country seems to depend on the prevailing political mood and how rich you are.

The crucial difference is that JC is known to be a post-modern ironic media donkey, whereas some random drunk on the tinterweb has no such reputation to protect him. Nuffin to do with being rich. Though I agree the prevailing political mood ("Let's be seen to slam the stable door very loudly after the horse has bolted") was a big factor in the 4-year sentence for your chum that wanted to start a commotion/didn't want to start a commotion/was too drunk to know what he wanted. :wink:

lapsedhibee
01-12-2011, 07:05 PM
If anyone is disgusted or enraged by this buffoons light hearted comments then they need to have a look at themselves. Does anyone really take anything he says remotely serious?

:agree: Sometimes at times of national outrage like this I feel left out. I yearn to feel what it is to be a Professional Offendee. Anyone know what college/uni runs a course, and how long it lasts - can this amount of witlessness be learned in a mere three or four years full-time? :dunno:

PiemanP
01-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Good to see the usual sensitive pc crew are up in arms as per.

The man is on an entertainment programme making a tounge in cheek joke, if you don't find it funny, don't laugh. Anyone straight on the phone to ofcom to complain need to get a life imo.

The bbc know what you get with JC, so why then have him on?

Also most people will not have seen the clips, and only the very selective media quotes - which do not put things into context.

R'Albin
01-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Good to see the usual sensitive pc crew are up in arms as per.

The man is on an entertainment programme making a tounge in cheek joke, if you don't find it funny, don't laugh. Anyone straight on the phone to ofcom to complain need to get a life imo.

The bbc know what you get with JC, so why then have him on?

Also most people will not have seen the clips, and only the very selective media quotes - which do not put things into context.

:agree: Especially the bit in bold

Holmesdale Hibs
01-12-2011, 09:26 PM
I thought it was funny. Clearly a joke, really don't understand what all the fuss is about. Anyone offended by that should get a sense of humour. In fact, they should be shot...

lyonhibs
01-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Folk who get up in arms about Jeremy Clarkson bewilder me. He doesn't take himself at all seriously, so why do so many folk seem to?? :confused:

Sir David Gray
01-12-2011, 10:21 PM
When I first read his comments this morning, I thought that it was a bit out of order.

However, having now had the benefit of actually seeing the clip in question, it is blatantly obvious that he is having a laugh.

He starts off by saying that the strike was "fantastic" because it meant that London was empty and you could "whizz about". He then said that, as he was on the BBC, he had to be balanced, so he then went on to give a view that was the polar opposite of his original point. Whilst Jeremy Clarkson is probably more inclined to oppose the strikes yesterday than support them, it was clear that he was joking and I can't really understand why it's made the national news headlines.

Ed Miliband has described his comments as "disgraceful and disgusting".

Seriously!?

Geo_1875
01-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Folk who get up in arms about Jeremy Clarkson bewilder me. He doesn't take himself at all seriously, so why do so many folk seem to?? :confused:

Exactly. He doesn't take himself seriously, and nobody else should. However, the BBC shouldn't be giving a platform to people who have no valid comment outside their own area of expertise.

Jack
01-12-2011, 10:39 PM
I would like to thank Jeremy Carson for extending the coverages the strikes.

hibsbollah
02-12-2011, 07:59 AM
When I first read his comments this morning, I thought that it was a bit out of order.However, having now had the benefit of actually seeing the clip in question, it is blatantly obvious that he is having a laugh.He starts off by saying that the strike was "fantastic" because it meant that London was empty and you could "whizz about". He then said that, as he was on the BBC, he had to be balanced, so he then went on to give a view that was the polar opposite of his original point. Whilst Jeremy Clarkson is probably more inclined to oppose the strikes yesterday than support them, it was clear that he was joking and I can't really understand why it's made the national news headlines.Ed Miliband has described his comments as "disgraceful and disgusting". Seriously!?After seeing the full footage of it on the news, im agreeing with you 100%. It was obviously taken out of context and Unisons reaction is laughable. Id still like to see Clarkson kicked square in the baws though, just out of principle.

Betty Boop
02-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Was it not Clarkson who called Gordon Brown 'a one eyed Scottish idiot' ?

greenlex
02-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Was it not Clarkson who called Gordon Brown 'a one eyed Scottish idiot' ? Yes it was

lapsedhibee
02-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Yes it was

Racist as well as murderer! :panic:

Sir David Gray
02-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Was it not Clarkson who called Gordon Brown 'a one eyed Scottish idiot' ?

Yes it was and his comment there was out of order.

I don't see how that's got anything to do with his joke on The One Show, though.

Geo_1875
02-12-2011, 12:40 PM

I don't see how that's got anything to do with his joke on The One Show, though.

It has because it shows that underneath the off-hand, light-hearted banter there lurks the truth.

Dashing Bob S
02-12-2011, 01:31 PM
He's about the same level as Jim Davidson, albeit a watered-down slightly more circumspect version for the Middle England palate. But by most accounts a nastier human being and probably not as funny.

Hibbyradge
02-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Plenty ordinary people don't get anything other than wages from their employers so all this "im entitled pi*h" really grinds my gears go on jezza

The pensions are part of the salary package.

It is an entitlement, just like you're entitled to your wages.

Also, the employees pay towards it.

Jay
02-12-2011, 02:03 PM
I think he was making a joke about the BBC's need for a balance of opposing points of view . He started by saying the strike was fine and did'nt cause any in convenience and then continued with the comments you choose to quote.

It was a joke---- lighten-up for f***'s sake. :confused:

Correct :agree: Its been taken so out of context its ridiculous. I cant stand the man and could never find myself sitting in his company but the stooshie his bad joke has cause is ridiculous, his jokes are always bad - whats so different about this one? What did they think he would say when asked that question?

Its also worth noting he has a DVD out, he made the comments on a BBC show and I would imagine its a BBC related DVD, wee bit extra adevritising does them no harm.

cocopops1875
02-12-2011, 04:41 PM
The pensions are part of the salary package.

It is an entitlement, just like you're entitled to your wages.

Also, the employees pay towards it.

I am aware of that mate just pointing out doing my job for the government/council I would get a higher wage,paid sick days and pension benefits (probably other benefits too but not overly aware of them) oh aye more public holidays and holidays in general, my heart simply bleeds for the poor lambs

Jack
02-12-2011, 06:32 PM
I am aware of that mate just pointing out doing my job for the government/council I would get a higher wage,paid sick days and pension benefits (probably other benefits too but not overly aware of them) oh aye more public holidays and holidays in general, my heart simply bleeds for the poor lambs

If you're good enough you could always apply for one of these jobs. :agree:

Betty Boop
02-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Racist as well as murderer! :panic:

Wheesht you !

It emphasises his mean nasty streak.

It has because it shows that underneath the off-hand, light-hearted banter there lurks the truth.

Exactly !

cocopops1875
03-12-2011, 04:36 PM
If you're good enough you could always apply for one of these jobs. :agree:

I could mate but not sure I could lower the quality of my workmanship to the required standard ;-)

jabis
03-12-2011, 11:54 PM

personally,everyone who jumps on this bandwagon 'cos they don't like JC,should be taken out............AND SHOT.

read it in context,and get a life.

same whingers that agree with george galloway about shooting british soldiers .....cos it's only fair !.....tossers.

Pretty Boy
04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Clarkson is an ignorant, ill informed and talentless twat but in this case it was clearly a joke when taken in context. The guy has made a career out of this kind of piss poor humour and isn't likely to change now.

His comments on suicide this week, which are in poor taste at best, show that he is the type of guy who just says whatever he feels with little thought of how others may interpret it. It's a bit sad and the adult equivalent of the school kid who screams look at me, look at me until they get attention. The type who's best ignored really.

R'Albin
10-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Clarkson is an ignorant, ill informed and talentless twat but in this case it was clearly a joke when taken in context. The guy has made a career out of this kind of piss poor humour and isn't likely to change now.

His comments on suicide this week, which are in poor taste at best, show that he is the type of guy who just says whatever he feels with little thought of how others may interpret it. It's a bit sad and the adult equivalent of the school kid who screams look at me, look at me until they get attention. The type who's best ignored really.

What did he say about suicide?

lapsedhibee
10-12-2011, 07:40 AM
What did he say about suicide?

He was talking about peeps jumping in front of trains and suggesting that stopping/delaying/cancelling/whatever the trains when it happened is pointless, as it doesn't do the jumpers any good.

Geo_1875
10-12-2011, 07:53 AM
He was a decent motoring journalist who has been promoted as a social commentator. He really has nothing of interest to say about anything so comes out with controversial statements in a vain attempt to appear relevant. He's also a ****.

R'Albin
10-12-2011, 08:12 AM
He was talking about peeps jumping in front of trains and suggesting that stopping/delaying/cancelling/whatever the trains when it happened is pointless, as it doesn't do the jumpers any good.

That one is a bit tasteless, especially so soon after Gary Speed's death, but still don't see why people get so offended by the things he says, if you don't like him, avoid watching him?

Pretty Boy
11-12-2011, 12:41 PM

I think he also suggested their bodies should be left by the side of the tracks like roadkill to be eaten by wild animals.

Clarkson doesn't really bother me, as I said above he plays up to being a bufoon, but these comments were in pretty poor taste.