PDA

View Full Version : Alistair Stevenson's 'Legacy'?

Winston Ingram
29-11-2011, 07:49 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/stevenson_proud_of_his_hibs_legacy_1_1988312

What do we reckon this is then as he seems to be taking credit for something he's not been involved in for over a year and fogetting to mention the huge **** up he has been for the last 12 months?

sahib
29-11-2011, 08:26 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/european/stevenson_proud_of_his_hibs_legacy_1_1988312

What do we reckon this is then as he seems to be taking credit for something he's not been involved in for over a year and fogetting to mention the huge **** up he has been for the last 12 months?

You know this for a fact do you?

matty_f
29-11-2011, 08:32 PM

I think that's really harsh, to be honest. You only have to look at the quality of the youth teams at Hibs,to see what an impact Alistair made on the team. He's a cracking guy and a good coach, and he stepped up to help the first team when called upon following Yogi's departure.

I wish him every success for the future.:agree:

Winston Ingram
29-11-2011, 08:35 PM
You know this for a fact do you?

He was the 1st team development coach and having watched the 1st team over a year and I can say with great certainty that it did not 'develop':agree:

blackpoolhibs
29-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I think that's really harsh, to be honest. You only have to look at the quality of the youth teams at Hibs,to see what an impact Alistair made on the team. He's a cracking guy and a good coach, and he stepped up to help the first team when called upon following Yogi's departure.

:agree:

ScottB
29-11-2011, 08:37 PM
To my mind, the ultimate success of a youth program is how many players it delivers to the first team, it winning things is all well and good, but that's what matters.

Frankly, other than Wotherspoon and Booth, who else has broken into our team in the last few years?

oconnors_strip
29-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Alistair is/was highly involved in having a daily input with the under 19s. He is at every home game when possible and james mcdonagh gets guidance and support from him.

I think alistair is part of hibs history as he guided the youngsters to the double, well actually the treble in 2009
Think your dig at him is a bit uncalled for

Winston Ingram
29-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he is but a year is long time in football. I just find it very strange that he's taking credit for something he's not been involved in for a very long time. I feel sorry for the blokes in charge of the youths now. If a bloke who'd left my job a year ago had publicly started claiming credit for work I'd been doing I wouldn't be too chuffed

matty_f
29-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Alistair is/was highly involved in having a daily input with the under 19s. He is at every home game when possible and james mcdonagh gets guidance and support from him.

I think alistair is part of hibs history as he guided the youngsters to the double, well actually the treble in 2009

Nikki, I think James does the 19's on his own now, I don't think James had been getting that support from Alistair at all.

Not that I'd take away from what Alistair has done over the years with the youths, he and James have brought through a good number of players that have featured in the first team, but the last year James has been going solo with the 19's.

Stantons Angel
29-11-2011, 09:44 PM
The original poster of this theme must have been living on another planet in Gorgie for the last 6 or 7 years!

Alistair Stevenson is a well liked and well respected youth coach in football. He has been responsible for bringing through many of our

young stars that have been sold to rake in the cash for other projects, IE Steven Fletcher, Stephen Whittaker, Scott Brown,

Kevin Thomson, Scott Booth, Paul Hanlon, David Wotherspoon etc etc etc.

To come on here and chastise the man for the bad year we have had is so very wrong! Or are you looking to start a new

blame trail? Alistair didnt really want to step up to first team duties, he came forward at a time when Hibs needed someone to help out

Gareth .

The poster states"he (Alistair) is first team development coach".... can anybody tell me who, apart from our own homegrown boys, has

shown any talent in today's team to develop?

I think it is totally unfair to come on here and slag the guy when you have such a lack of talent on the park, Alistair wont be out of work

for long. Someone of his experience and knowledge will be snapped up soon.

His legacy, as they are calling his work, is in the memories we hold of the youngsters who made the grade and we were given the chance

to have seen playing in our beloved green and white.

Id just like to wish Alistair all the very best for the future and to thank him for the memories left behind by his young stars.

GGTTH!!!

oconnors_strip
29-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Nikki, I think James does the 19's on his own now, I don't think James had been getting that support from Alistair at all.

Not that I'd take away from what Alistair has done over the years with the youths, he and James have brought through a good number of players that have featured in the first team, but the last year James has been going solo with the 19's.

Yeah you are right matt, I have just been informed that james has had no help from anyone since calderwood came in. My mistake!

matty_f
29-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah you are right matt, I have just been informed that james has had no help from anyone since calderwood came in. My mistake!

:aok:

Scouse Hibee
29-11-2011, 09:54 PM

Come on FFS we have a new management team in place and yet you want to slag a guy who was unfortunate enough to be asked to move from a position in the club where he excelled in order to help the club out. As far as I am concerned lets get behind the new guys and leave this crap where it belongs..............in the past. I think it's a great pity the club have let this guy go!

bob12345
29-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Coaching and developing young players is a completely different job to coaching first team professionals. I personally think Stevenson was very good at the former, but not so at the latter. To play devil's advocate, you could say that he would have been better off sticking with the youths where he was extremely effective. But who turns down a promotion and a pay rise? A big thank you for me for his efforts and I wouldn't be surprised to see his next role be back in youth football.

scoopyboy
30-11-2011, 05:54 AM
To my mind, the ultimate success of a youth program is how many players it delivers to the first team, it winning things is all well and good, but that's what matters.

Frankly, other than Wotherspoon and Booth, who else has broken into our team in the last few years?

Paul Hanlon?

Beefster
30-11-2011, 06:19 AM
The original poster of this theme must have been living on another planet in Gorgie for the last 6 or 7 years!

Alistair Stevenson is a well liked and well respected youth coach in football. He has been responsible for bringing through many of our

young stars that have been sold to rake in the cash for other projects, IE Steven Fletcher, Stephen Whittaker, Scott Brown,

Kevin Thomson, Scott Booth, Paul Hanlon, David Wotherspoon etc etc etc.

I don't want to be particularly pedantic or question the good work that Stevenson did but if he joined in 2003, I don't think you can credit him for the majority of the players on your list seeing as most of them were either in the first team squad or on the fringes by then.

Brizo
30-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Coaching and developing young players is a completely different job to coaching first team professionals. I personally think Stevenson was very good at the former, but not so at the latter. To play devil's advocate, you could say that he would have been better off sticking with the youths where he was extremely effective. But who turns down a promotion and a pay rise? A big thank you for me for his efforts and I wouldn't be surprised to see his next role be back in youth football.

As others have said the real legacy of a youth coach is how many players make it into the first team , under 19 trophies are ultimately irrelevant if the players dont progress beyond that level. However the absence of a reserve league is a major factor in players being unable to make that transition to first team imo.

Also playing devils advocate I have seen him at close quarters on the touchlines coaching youth teams some years ago and he didnt strike me as any different from any number of other youth coachs. He struck me as very negative in the way he spoke to his players , gave them very little encouragement and didnt seem much of a motivator. He must have a lot more about him than the touchline demeanour I saw.

I Love Lamp
30-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Good luck to the guy, he did really well with the youths. The sad thing from Hibs perspective is that people regarded as good youth coaches previously but who have failed to step up can often return pretty successfully to that level with other clubs afterwards: Ricky Sbragia, Eddie May being two examples.

That said, I'm not going to criticise the board too much for promoting him in the first place because it's good to show faith on people within the club who have done a good job.

Franck is God
30-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I think he was a decent youth coach that took over from a better youth coach in John Park and probably the best thing he did while at ER was employ James McDonagh.

His promotion to first team coach was more convenient than anything else and along with Evans & CC were rightly relieved of their duties for the lack of basic skills & fitness shown by the players over the last 12 months.

I take no joy from these two guys being unemployed right now but we are not a charity.

basehibby
30-11-2011, 11:36 AM

I think you are being extremely ungracious - Stevenson has every right to point out the positive results of his work at Easter Road now he is newly out of a job - after excelling as a youth coach he took the step up when it was asked of him by Hibs, although it's apparently not worked out. No need to ignore his prervious sterling work because the hotch potch set up he became part of under Calderwood failed to find success!

MB62
01-12-2011, 02:29 PM

Paul Hanlon?

Aye, ok, but apart from Wotherspoon, Booth and Hanlon, what have the Romans ever done for us? :wink: :greengrin

O'Rourke3
02-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Aye, ok, but apart from Wotherspoon, Booth and Hanlon, what have the Romans ever done for us? :wink: :greengrin They built roads -to Greggs and wine for the players conditioning. But apart from that :dunno:

Paisley Hibby
02-12-2011, 05:58 PM