PDA

View Full Version : The Board deserves a chance

freddie m
28-11-2011, 01:57 PM
I am of the opinion that Rod Petrie and the board of directors at Hibernian Football Club be given the opportunity to correct some wrongs. By some wrongs I am talking about the business model in place that drives the team and management. Clearly this model although in hindsight should have seen the club flourish however, in reality it failed.

Rod Petrie and the board have done an unbelievable job in reducing debt, whilst laying the foundations for Hibernian to continue and be supported for years to come. That is the expertise that these fine gents have brought to this great club. Where they failed was trying to implement a model that given the debt burden of other clubs in Scotland should have been a huge success i.e. wage caps for players, continuity within the coaching structure etc.

I think that we would all have hoped that these last few years would have brought a fair bit of success given the wage budget that was, and still is in place. The main flaw in this model was, and still is that other clubs are spending much more money than they have, whilst increasing their debt substantially. Hibernian on the other hand are a well managed club within this league and are one of the very few that play fair with regards to resources. I have read people on here saying that we have to speculate to accumulate, Hibernian has been doing this for a few years now (highest wage budget outside the Old Firm and Hearts). Hibernian’s problem has been wage caps and an enlarged squad, also continual changes in management.

Hibernian now stands at the start of a new road with a new manager. Do they go left, right or straight on? One will bring success, one will lead to failure and the other will lead to mid table mediocre that is the fine line between success and failure. I firmly believe that we are about to see a new dawn at Hibernian. I believe the Board have realised past mistakes and have listened and learned. The new manager has some special qualities that have been lacking in our previous 3 or 4 managers. And we the supporters should give the Board this chance to right the wrongs from their previous approach.

The Board deserve success, the supporters deserve success and the Hibernian community certainly deserve success.

Glory glory
We are Hibernian
:flag::flag::flag:

woodyloon
28-11-2011, 02:14 PM
I have no desire to move the board on, but they need to look at what or how they make decisions. It was evident at the end of last season that CC was not the answer, and according to rumours Hibs were offered compensation for CC and decided to ignore the chance to get out of a sticky situation, more so when the manager himself was less than clear were he wanted his future to be.

So basically they now need to stick to what they are good at, and if that means getting someone in with a football background then IMO that would be a step in the right direction, then let the accountants etc to do the job/s they excel at.

steakbake
28-11-2011, 02:22 PM
The board do deserve a chance in some respects and certainly, many of the things being called for have happened: a new aspirational manager and a clear out of backroom staff.

However, to have lost out on money for Calderwood in the summer then to have to pay him compensation is utterly ridiculous. That's cash down the swanny that could have been spent on a player or two.

RIP
28-11-2011, 02:28 PM
To the OP - some quick points

We cleared the debt with the players we sold in 2007
Since then we completed the infrastructure with the building of the East Stand in 2010
This year Petrie has left the wage bill and Hyland has been promoted to MD. Lindsay is directing the football dept
It now looks like Petrie might be in the market for a more football orientated director (to replace Lindsay?? - sorry Scott)
We have to pray that they don't keep offering new managers carte blanche to turn the squad over every year
That to me has been their biggest failing

Beefster
28-11-2011, 02:29 PM
The Board need to be proactive in taking action rather than always appearing to react to grumbles/protests from the support.

It's pointless to talk about giving them a chance though - we're stuck with them whether we like it or not.

down the slope
28-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I am of the opinion that Rod Petrie and the board of directors at Hibernian Football Club be given the opportunity to correct some wrongs. By some wrongs I am talking about the business model in place that drives the team and management. Clearly this model although in hindsight should have seen the club flourish however, in reality it failed.

Rod Petrie and the board have done an unbelievable job in reducing debt, whilst laying the foundations for Hibernian to continue and be supported for years to come. That is the expertise that these fine gents have brought to this great club. Where they failed was trying to implement a model that given the debt burden of other clubs in Scotland should have been a huge success i.e. wage caps for players, continuity within the coaching structure etc.

I think that we would all have hoped that these last few years would have brought a fair bit of success given the wage budget that was, and still is in place. The main flaw in this model was, and still is that other clubs are spending much more money than they have, whilst increasing their debt substantially. Hibernian on the other hand are a well managed club within this league and are one of the very few that play fair with regards to resources. I have read people on here saying that we have to speculate to accumulate, Hibernian has been doing this for a few years now (highest wage budget outside the Old Firm and Hearts). Hibernian’s problem has been wage caps and an enlarged squad, also continual changes in management.

Hibernian now stands at the start of a new road with a new manager. Do they go left, right or straight on? One will bring success, one will lead to failure and the other will lead to mid table mediocre that is the fine line between success and failure. I firmly believe that we are about to see a new dawn at Hibernian. I believe the Board have realised past mistakes and have listened and learned. The new manager has some special qualities that have been lacking in our previous 3 or 4 managers. And we the supporters should give the Board this chance to right the wrongs from their previous approach.

The Board deserve success, the supporters deserve success and the Hibernian community certainly deserve success.

Glory glory
We are Hibernian

Thank you Rod, now resign !.

Elephant Stone
28-11-2011, 02:37 PM
To the OP - some quick points

We cleared the debt with the players we sold in 2007
Since then we completed the infrastructure with the building of the East Stand in 2010
This year Petrie has left the wage bill and Hyland has been promoted to MD. Lindsay is directing the football dept
It now looks like Petrie might be in the market for a more football orientated director (to replace Lindsay?? - sorry Scott)
We have to pray that they don't keep offering new managers carte blanche to turn the squad over every year
That to me has been their biggest failing

I'm too young to remember when Petrie et al took control but surely there's a lot more to it than simply having sold those players to stabilise the club. What about the early nineties?

freddie m
28-11-2011, 02:40 PM
I think during the summer the Board were looking for continuity having lost so many managers over the last three years. The problem there was probably more to do with the Board withholding money for players until the issue was resolved one way or another.

Rod Petrie stated at the AGM that the money offered was less than Hibernian had paid Newcastle for CC’s services, also the club who bid i.e. Middlesbrough were not CC’s preference. Birmingham never put an offer in for CC during the summer, plenty of speculation but no offer.

If the Board had accepted the offer on the table CC would have rejected the move to Middlesbrough according to his agent. In hindsight this may have tempted Birmingham into bidding however, hindsight is a wonderful thing and Birmingham had their own problems during the summer re their owner.

The dilemma that the Board had was that if they accepted the bid and CC refused to go and no offer came from Birmingham, where would that have left the club.

Glory glory
We are Hibernian

RIP
28-11-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm too young to remember when Petrie et al took control but surely there's a lot more to it than simply having sold those players to stabilise the club. What about the early nineties?

Since Petrie took over
Miller £2.6 million
Laursen £1.5 million
De La Cruz £1.5 million
O'Connor £1.6 million
Riordan £200,000
Thomson £2million
Whttaker £2million
Brown £4.4 million
Murphy £1.5 million
Fletcher £3 million
Rob Jones £0.5 million
Ivan Sproule £0.5 million
Anthony Stokes £1.5 million
Sol Bamba £250,000
Sell on fees £1 million v Purchase fees £1million (Cancelled out)

£23 million in fees inside a decade. £14million debt, operating losses wiped out and a stand built

Elephant Stone
28-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Since Petrie took over
Miller £2.6 million
Laursen £1.5 million
De La Cruz £1.5 million
O'Connor £1.6 million
Riordan £200,000
Thomson £2million
Whttaker £2million
Brown £4.4 million
Murphy £1.5 million
Fletcher £3 million
Rob Jones £0.5 million
Ivan Sproule £0.5 million
Anthony Stokes £1.5 million
Sol Bamba £250,000
Sell on fees £1 million v Purchase fees £1million (Cancelled out)

£23 million in fees inside a decade. £14million debt, operating losses wiped out and a stand built

Are you saying that the board gets too much credit for the club's position because all we did was sell players or we've done well in developing, buying and selling?

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Can't be bothered slagging the board. 1. They aren't going anywhere. 2. I actually think they might have got it right this time.

Captain Trips
28-11-2011, 03:58 PM
The fact we are where we are after all this time football wise shows IMO they have had far to long as it is.

greenlex
28-11-2011, 06:10 PM
If you never Mae a mistake you learn little. As long as they are learning from mistakes and not repeating them then I am happy enough. Taking that into account Huges was a wrong appointment at that time. Mixu was setting s back at least two seasons on what Mowbray and to an extent Collins as built Hughes set us back probably another three when we needed to regroup quick and kick on.

Seveno
28-11-2011, 06:20 PM
All we need is for the playing staff to act as professionally as the management team.

Eyrie
28-11-2011, 07:38 PM
The problem is less with the business model and more with not getting the right management in place. With Fenlon here that should now be fixed.

Saorsa
28-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Aye, because they've no had that before :rolleyes: