PDA

View Full Version : 2 Coaches relieved of Duties

Gus Fring
28-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Apologies if posted, official website has just confirmed Gareth Evans and Alistair Stevenson have been "relieved of their duties"

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20111128/club-statement_2262950_2530494

Billy Whizz
28-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't think we're surprised at this. Waiting to find out BB's situation

soupy
28-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Good news, exactly what's required in my opinion.

Billy Whizz
28-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Shame on Stevenson. Gave up his under 19's role to assist Calderwood.

Westie1875
28-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Shame on Stevenson. Gave up his under 19's role to assist Calderwood. Yep, feel a bit sorry for Stevenson.

Hainan Hibs
28-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Never good to see guys lose employment but it's what the club needs.

Andy74
28-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Sorry on a personal level but good news for the club.

RickyS
28-11-2011, 11:14 AM
the wording seems to suggest further updates later so maybe BB in talks about his future role.
can we expect at least 2 new coaches to come in then?

down the slope
That will be the end of the half time ersing aboot then !, lets hope it's the start of the club being run on a proper manner.

jacomo
Hibs have looked lacking in sharpness for years. Our ability to do the basics right is also maddeningly poor.

These two might go on to have good coaching careers elsewhere, but clearly something wasn't working.

You have to wonder if Scott Lindsay is under pressure, too. As boss of the "football department", surely the buck stops with him?

California-Hibs
28-11-2011, 11:20 AM
This is absolutely FANTASTIC news! :thumbsup::agree:
Never nice to see people lose their jobs, but this decision will definatly benefit the club and a whole batch of fresh coaches along with Fat Felon is going to do us the world of good!
:flag:

Andy74
28-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Maybe one of the new coaches knows what a throw in is? That'd be novel!

CallumLaidlaw
28-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Would be the first time in as long as I can remember. I've never seen a club so bad at throw ins. Especially in our own 3rd. May as well just let the opposition take it

Gatecrasher
28-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Sad to see them go but i agree the club needs a refresh

woodyloon
28-11-2011, 11:33 AM
I would like to think we would show BB a bit of loyality as I don't really believe he was Calderwoods choice. I thnk he should step sideways to allow PF to appoint his own assistant and BB should take responsibility for coaching the 1st team.

RiseAbove
28-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Well done to the Board, a step in the right direction, looking forward to next month when some of the non trying players are emptied as well.

ScottB
28-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Excellent, definitely the way forward in my opinion

J-C
28-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Never understood why when a manger gets the heave ho the coaches were kept on the books, surely they're part of the problem as well.

Speedway
28-11-2011, 11:42 AM
BB as 1st team coach with a manager and assistant would be a winner.

ST not done much wrong and I don't know if Fat Pension has had a GK coach previously.

Worrying times for SL though, especially if the Strachan story had any truth in it.

Franck is God
28-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Its never good to see anyone out of work but this definitely needed to happen.

Our players don't seem fit or motivated and unable to do the simple things well and that has to be down to coaching.

I'm pleased Scott Thompson isn't with them though as he has shown to be a good keeping coach, sounds like BB wants to stay but only if its a significant position which is fine by me.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Never understood why when a manger gets the heave ho the coaches were kept on the books, surely they're part of the problem as well.

Not always, if that was the case Gordon Marshall would not be goalkeeping coach at Motherwell.

Coaches can only work with who the manager buys or brings in, sometimes not always, those players are just so bad nothing a coach says or does will help.

scoopyboy
28-11-2011, 11:47 AM
I thought Alastair Stevenson was employed by the Hibernian Training Centre and not Hibernian Football Club, so if anything happened he would revert to the youth set up.

Obviously I thought wrong.

J-C
28-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Not always, if that was the case Gordon Marshall would not be goalkeeping coach at Motherwell.

Coaches can only work with who the manager buys or brings in, sometimes not always, those players are just so bad nothing a coach says or does will help.

You're probably right G, just seems some of these guys have been here for the past 2-3 managers and must take a portion of the blame, fitness/basics etc.

Speedway
28-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Coaching page of fishy updated already - impressive.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2011, 11:50 AM
You're probably right G, just seems some of these guys have been here for the past 2-3 managers and must take a portion of the blame, fitness/basics etc.

You might be right, i dont know what they have been doing these last few seasons, good or bad?:dunno:

J-C
28-11-2011, 11:53 AM
You might be right, i dont know what they have been doing these last few seasons, good or bad?:dunno:

Whether Fenlon's the right man or not, at least he's started by looking at the root of our problems, we have a few decent playes at the club and on paper aren't too bad, whatever they've been upto at East Mains it hasn't been good enough.

Baldy
28-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Evans going is not a problem but Alistair Stevenson is a fantastic youth coach who will be in demand, I think letting him go will be a big mistake

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Whether Fenlon's the right man or not, at least he's started by looking at the root of our problems, we have a few decent playes at the club and on paper aren't too bad, whatever they've been upto at East Mains it hasn't been good enough.

I disagree, although i do think he should have his own men, and if that means getting rid of all the coaching staff, well so be it.

I dont think we have many decent players, 2 or 3 at the most. IMO he will have to get rid of most of this dross, and try somehow to assemble a better team.

I would like to see how he does without spending money, as i believe a manager is just that, someone who can manage.

Too often we get these excuses, and we cant judge the new man until he gets his own team on the park, does my nut in, manage what you have FFS. :grr:

Yet after saying that, this time i dont think Fenlon can make much difference, this lot are just so bad.

He must get tactics, player selection and formations right. If he does, we must surely see some improvement, not enough imo to get us any success, but hopefully get us a wee bit further up the league?

Fenlon has probably the most difficult task of any manager for a good while, i hope the board have got this appointment right. :pray:

Hibby D
28-11-2011, 12:14 PM

You can't have it all....either top 6 finish or throw ins :greengrin

DaveF
28-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Evans going is not a problem but Alistair Stevenson is a fantastic youth coach who will be in demand, I think letting him go will be a big mistake

Maybe Stevenson forced the issue in some way?

I don't think Fenlon would boot out somoene as respected as you say he is without some sort of foundation, so perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye.

Barney McGrew
28-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Maybe Stevenson forced the issue in some way?

I don't think Fenlon would boot out somoene as respected as you say he is without some sort of foundation, so perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye.

Where would he go now in the youth set up? He's been replaced by Jim McDonagh, and clearly he wouldn't be wanting to take a step down to make way for Stevenson again, and I doubt Stevenson would want to be working under McDonagh.

I wouldn't be surprised to see AS pop up at Celtic with John Park.

Lofarl
28-11-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm just laughing at peoples autocorrecting phones as they type in Pat Fenlon as it changes it to fat pension.

Part/Time Supporter
28-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm just laughing at peoples autocorrecting phones as they type in Pat Fenlon as it changes it to fat pension.

Are you sure they aren't typing in "Rod Petrie"?

:devil:

GloryGlory
28-11-2011, 12:38 PM

:agree: Not by a long chalk has it been good enough. The club invested heavily in providing the best training infrastructure it could, we need to see a return in terms of fitness, and improving the players organisationally, technically and tactically.

There is no excuse for the shambolic organisation we have witnessed over the past few years - throw-ins, corners, free kicks not defended and the same poor goals being conceded week after week because of failure to defend and because of poor and panicky decision making when trying to clear our lines. A lot of it could and should have been corrected on the training pitch

muzzhfc
28-11-2011, 12:38 PM
how come our "head of performance" hasnt been released aswell? based on our performances

Northernhibee
28-11-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm feeling confident for the future with Fenlon.

Golden Bear
28-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Just how many coaches do we need in anycase? There is no Reserve League now so I really wonder what they all did with their time.

Septimus
28-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Hope Gareth Evans gets a job soon. He always gave 100% as a player.

Speedway
28-11-2011, 02:07 PM

No autocorrection here, just an exceptional comic mind.

Just how many coaches do we need in anycase? There is no Reserve League now so I really wonder what they all did with their time.

The coach cull isn't finished yet, the fishy site is reporting that Fenlon has booted the Iveco into touch and brought in a Volvo.

HibbyAndy
28-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Hope Gareth Evans gets a job soon. He always gave 100% as a player.

Sad to see Gareth go but if its for the best then so be it.

Top guy and a big Hibs man.

FitbaFolkKen
28-11-2011, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't on the recomendation of Brown, near in mind Fenlon probably has very little knowledge of these guys and more than likely hasn't seen them work the training ground. If that is the case then I would expect Brown to stay with the club for a short time at least.

Either that or part of his agreement in joining would be to bring his own coaching team in.

Regardless of which it is I think a clean sweep is what is needed, top to bottom at ER, so good luck to the guys in getting future work.:aok:

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2011, 02:43 PM
I like those guys on a personal level, but it is essential for a new manager to get his own people in. We have a great training centre and are in a crap league, so we should be attracting the best of talent from these island, letting them get games in, then selling them on, and using the money to bring in a higher level of seasoned pro, making us, outside of the OF, the team to beat in Scotland.

The point is that we now have to start seeing the premium for those facilities, and can't afford to tolerate sustained mediocrity any more. We need to use the training centre properly, and bundle those great facilities with an aggressive scouting system. One of the reasons, I think, Fenlon was picked is because of his Irish background and the higher level of athleticism young Irish footballers often have - due in part to the GAA system. I believe that Scotland, on the other hand, has a footballing culture of complacency, arrogance and mediocrity, sustained in part by the sectarian bunfight which we've sadly decided is the only show in town.

I really believe that the board have woken up and decided that enough is enough. I'd be far more worried if there wasn't a massive clear out.

basehibby
28-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Much asI have a lot of sympathy for Evans and Stevenson, this can only be a good sign that Fenlon is being given and is taking full control of the coaching set up.

Re Evans and Stevenson, they've given me some great memories - productive partnerships with Archiegoals and KeithKeithKeith from Evans - and U19 treble winners under Stevenson - I wish them all the very best!

Kaiser1962
28-11-2011, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't on the recomendation of Brown, near in mind Fenlon probably has very little knowledge of these guys and more than likely hasn't seen them work the training ground. If that is the case then I would expect Brown to stay with the club for a short time at least.

Either that or part of his agreement in joining would be to bring his own coaching team in.

Regardless of which it is I think a clean sweep is what is needed, top to bottom at ER, so good luck to the guys in getting future work.:aok:

His knowledge of Scottish football is much better than people seem to think.

JDanielR1875
28-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Im happy they are gone they have been around for long enough and they have been involved with plenty failed Hibs teams. Pat Fenlons got my backing.

Golden Bear
28-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Let's hope the playing squad collectively "man up," stop feeling sorry for themselves and realise that their half hearted and totally inept performances have cost people their jobs.

Get them sorted Pat and make it sharpish!

Fish
28-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Lets hope it has got the players twitching already.

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Let's hope the playing squad collectively "man up," stop feeling sorry for themselves and realise that their half hearted and totally inept performances have cost people their jobs.

Get them sorted Pat and make it sharpish!

I know - I go to the football to get away from all that.

Famous Fiver
28-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Do you think Fenlon will notice Tam McCourt sitting on the end of the bench at the next match?

Golden Bear
28-11-2011, 03:41 PM
According to BBC Radio Scotland:-

"Billy Brown set to stay on as Assistant Manager - at least for a short term."

Good news imo - we need his all round experience right now.

SteveHFC
28-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Liam O'Brien the new coach then?

alfieboi75
28-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Given Stevenson's experience and knowledge within the youth set up, I had hoped that he would have stayed and helped the youths. I hope both Stevenson and Evans get a quick return to football.

BB's experience of SPL can not go amiss so I hope BB stays on.

I'm hoping Pat had a good session today and the players go a kick up the ass after Saturday's performance especially Stephens!!!!

Mikey
28-11-2011, 03:46 PM

Are you sure they aren't typing in "Rod Petrie"?

:tee hee:

JimBHibees
28-11-2011, 03:46 PM

Not so sure had assumed PF would have brought in his own person as assistant such as the guy he was at game with on Saturday. Brown may be a capable person however personally think Fenlon would be better suited to his own people in and not someone who applied for the job also.

ScottB
28-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Not so sure had assumed PF would have brought in his own person as assistant such as the guy he was at game with on Saturday. Brown may be a capable person however personally think Fenlon would be better suited to his own people in and not someone who applied for the job also.

I think he's suited to whatever decision he makes, and if that is keeping BB on in some capacity in the short term, then so be it.

BB's experience of the SPL, plus experience of working with this bunch of lazy huddies will no doubt help Pat transition into the Scottish game and help him evaluate the squad.

johnrebus
28-11-2011, 03:54 PM

"Billy Brown set to stay on as Assistant Manager - at least for a short term." Good news imo - we need his all round experience right now.

Yeah, till Friday morning at the latest.

Golden Bear
28-11-2011, 04:04 PM

Twenty minutes later and the Beeb are now saying that BB will be there "for the foreseeable future."

I wonder what the 5:30 bulletin will say?

:greengrin

greenlex
28-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Twenty minutes later and the Beeb are now saying that BB will be there "for the foreseeable future."

Probably "till Fat Jim gets a gig". Well it might not be these exact words.:greengrin

Saorsa
28-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Given Stevenson's experience and knowledge within the youth set up, I had hoped that he would have stayed and helped the youths. I hope both Stevenson and Evans get a quick return to football.

BB's experience of SPL can not go amiss so I hope BB stays on.

I'm hoping Pat had a good session today and the players go a kick up the ass after Saturday's performance especially Stephens!!!!I certainly hope PF winnae be using Brown's advice on 1 up front tactics particularly at hame. That's a PBS tactic.

JimBHibees
28-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I certainly hope PF winnae be using Brown's advice on 1 up front tactics particularly at hame. That's a PBS tactic.

Apparently PF used 451 regularly when at Bohemians.

Andy74
28-11-2011, 04:59 PM
The formation isnt a problem it's how you play within in that counts.

Used properly it gives you three forwards when you need them.

Eyrie
28-11-2011, 06:33 PM
But do we have the right players at the club to provide the additional forwards when required?

snooky
28-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Somebody call Mystic Meg, FFS

SteveHFC
28-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Good Luck to Both :aok:

Jonnyboy
28-11-2011, 08:13 PM

If only Andy, if only :greengrin

JIm
29-11-2011, 09:11 AM
I thought Alastair Stevenson was employed by the Hibernian Training Centre and not Hibernian Football Club, so if anything happened he would revert to the youth set up.

Obviously I thought wrong.

He was originally, however re-structuring took place and Stevensons contract was shifted to first team. Saved BH a job at the training centre as if this had not been done he would have had to sack either Alaistair or James anyway (or so i'm lead to believe). Worked out quite well at the time.

Anyway good luck to both Gareth and Alastair in getting a speedy return to football. Personally think they got alot of unfair criticism. Coaches cant help the fact that our previous managers have continually brought in poor quality players over the past few years and this is where the failings have been. Signings make or break you as we've seen over the past couple of years.

Still onwards and upwards.

Hail Hail