PDA

View Full Version : Petrie tried to get Strachan as Director of Football

Barney McGrew
28-11-2011, 06:20 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3963550/Hibees-tried-to-net-Gordon-Strachan.html

KWJ
28-11-2011, 06:23 AM
No quotes from Gordo about the Hibees makes it harder to believe.

Jack
28-11-2011, 06:51 AM
No quotes from Gordo about the Hibees makes it harder to believe. While there are no quotes I'd like to believe the club were actively doing something to turn round what was happening back then.I suppose other parts of the article put to bed any thoughts that he'll ever be the the Hibs manager - something he did hint at a few years ago.

Hibs Class
28-11-2011, 07:01 AM
No named source in that report. I would not be surprised if the sun reporter read the quotes from mike reilly, Hibs fan's chief, and padded out a story around that.

jdships
28-11-2011, 08:09 AM
No named source in that report. I would not be surprised if the sun reporter read the quotes from mike reilly, Hibs fan's chief, and padded out a story around that.

:agree:A mate of his living in Edinburgh told me weeks ago he had no wish to return to " full time football "

Cabbage East
28-11-2011, 08:54 AM
The Sun + no quotes = Utter fiction.

bingo70
28-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Funny how everyone is dismissing this story as there's no quotes, what's the chances if this was a negative story about petrie or his running of the club it'd be used as a stick to beat him with?!

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Funny how everyone is dismissing this story as there's no quotes, what's the chances if this was a negative story about petrie or his running of the club it'd be used as a stick to beat him with?!

Maybe because nobody really gives a toss? :dunno:

Bad Martini
28-11-2011, 11:26 AM
How about the sun, quotes or otherwise, regardless of what they write and about what, is total, utter, complete and undeniable PISH PISH and mair PISH. Founded on LIES, LIES and mair LIES. Bunch of opportunistic, money grabbing, morally devoid *******s who profiteer by pedalling utter pish, lies and mair of the same to the masses.

ENDOF

brydekirk
28-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Feel better now

bingo70
28-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Maybe because nobody really gives a toss? :dunno: Mike reilly does

Pretty Boy
28-11-2011, 11:58 AM
How about the sun, quotes or otherwise, regardless of what they write and about what, is total, utter, complete and undeniable PISH PISH and mair PISH. Founded on LIES, LIES and mair LIES. Bunch of opportunistic, money grabbing, morally devoid *******s who profiteer by pedalling utter pish, lies and mair of the same to the masses.

ENDOF

Come on now, get off that fence and tell us what you really think.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Mike reilly does

No idea why i posted this on this thread, i was convinced i was posting on the Steve Bruce sacked one?????????? :confused::confused::faf::faf::faf:

bingo70
28-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Did think your response was a tad harsh to be honest, was putting it down to the Monday blues

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Did think your response was a tad harsh to be honest, was putting it down to the Monday blues

I'd have liked Strachan involved somehow, still no idea how that happened? :greengrin

allezsauzee
28-11-2011, 12:20 PM

ENDOF

Totally agree, although i think you may have put it a little more politely than they deserve

ScottB
28-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Sounds more like a bull story created so it doesn't make it look like Celtic's fault for him turning them down.

'Oh well he turned Hibs down too, clearly doesn't want to be in football then.'

magpie1892
28-11-2011, 12:34 PM

ENDOF

A well-thought out and erudite comment, argued with enviable panache.

Green_one
28-11-2011, 12:56 PM
The SUN telling the truth and Petrie spending money - aye really likely combination

Was it above or below the 'Hearts new stand' story?

Northernhibee
28-11-2011, 01:00 PM
The Sun have no right to exist, never mind commenting on football, not after Hillsborough.

Scousers never buy the Sun.

steakbake
28-11-2011, 01:18 PM
A strange article - it was about how Hibs apparently tried to net Strachan but around 75% of it was about Celtic. Typical Sun.

Beefster
28-11-2011, 01:31 PM
So if the story is to be believed, Hibs decided that they needed a DoF, tried to get Strachan, he said no and then Hibs decided that they didn't actually need a DoF after all? Aye right.

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2011, 02:57 PM
:agree:A mate of his living in Edinburgh told me weeks ago he had no wish to return to " full time football "

Probably would have fitted in perfectly under the Calderwood regime them.

greenlex
28-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I'd have liked Strachan involved somehow, still no idea how that happened? :greengrin

It's because you are a dozy auld *******.:agree:

.Sean.
28-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Mike reilly does Mike who?

weonlywon6-2
28-11-2011, 07:40 PM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3963550/Hibees-tried-to-net-Gordon-Strachan.html

a friend of mine text me back in September/October time to let me know that Strachan was with Petrie in the Mcdonald Hotel on Holyrood Road,he didnt hear what they were talking about though !

ancient hibee
28-11-2011, 07:58 PM
The Sun lifted the story from one of the Sunday papers that carried a big interview with Strachan.

The story is true by the way.

jdships
28-11-2011, 08:17 PM
The Sun lifted the story from one of the Sunday papers that carried a big interview with Strachan.

Source ? :greengrin:wink::rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
28-11-2011, 08:43 PM

:agree:

Iggy Pope
28-11-2011, 08:59 PM
There is a big Strachan interview in yesterday's Times, fronting up the Sport section.

The DoF role is unworkable according to GS.

Celtic approached him with an offer to provide back up to Lennon. He turned it down as he had experienced such a situation before when Ron Atkinson would turn up in his Roller at Coventry and veto all his training plans, FatRon insisting on 5s where he would 'get to be David Ginola for the day'.....something easily believable about the big twat.

Strachan states that he had two such offers from Scottish clubs but refused to name the other.

'Possibly' Hibernian opines the Times.

It's an interesting article and repeats a previous observation of Strachan regarding the £3m offer that Hibs turned down for Fletch while he was at Celtic. A signing that could have driven them on to win a title they ended up throwing away.

He also admits to being a sarcastic wee tosser. Or at least to being sarcastic.

Not sure about posting a link - think you might have to subscribe to The Times - I got a paper copy but I'm old fashioned that way.

monktonharp
28-11-2011, 09:14 PM
may be a non story, but I hope he never goes near Hibs. he made a comment years ago, on a saturday fitba; programme about Hibernian fc. he admitted that he used to go to ER on a regular basis, as a boy.he thought that HFC were great,the be all and end all, but then said: I know better now. ok,that's correct but he did not have to say it in the way he did. wee tit. he can get tae.

weecounty hibby
28-11-2011, 09:40 PM
may be a non story, but I hope he never goes near Hibs. he made a comment years ago, on a saturday fitba; programme about Hibernian fc. he admitted that he used to go to ER on a regular basis, as a boy.he thought that HFC were great,the be all and end all, but then said: I know better now. ok,that's correct but he did not have to say it in the way he did. wee tit. he can get tae.

I also remember seeing him interviewed on TV not that long ago when he was asked what he would do after football management he said something along the lines of "Get a season ticket for ER and watch Hibs". Would have him working at ER in a minute. We need more winners involved with our club. And say what you like about his style, he was a winner all throughout his career.

monktonharp
28-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I also remember seeing him interviewed on TV not that long ago when he was asked what he would do after football management he said something along the lines of "Get a season ticket for ER and watch Hibs". Would have him working at ER in a minute. We need more winners involved with our club. And say what you like about his style, he was a winner all throughout his career.he's done wi' fitba'. is he in the East or West, Imust look out for him and apoligise personally when I see the wee tit.:confused:

Sas_The_Hibby
28-11-2011, 09:51 PM
I also remember seeing him interviewed on TV not that long ago when he was asked what he would do after football management he said something along the lines of "Get a season ticket for ER and watch Hibs". Would have him working at ER in a minute. We need more winners involved with our club. And say what you like about his style, he was a winner all throughout his career.

He CLEARLY knows nothing about football, then! :rolleyes::greengrin

weecounty hibby
28-11-2011, 09:54 PM
he's done wi' fitba'. is he in the East or West, Imust look out for him and apoligise personally when I see the wee tit.:confused:

Never said he had done it but it was a quote that showed Hibs in a decent light. As I say he was a winner and we haven't had enough of them at ER in the last thirty odd years.

monktonharp
28-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Never said he had done it but it was a quote that showed Hibs in a decent light. As I say he was a winner and we haven't had enough of them at ER in the last thirty odd years.yes, he was a winner but I stand by the quip he made, which showed Hibernian more in a poor light, imho.