PDA

View Full Version : Gary Speed (Merged)

Betty Boop
27-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Five Live just announced that Gary Speed has died. Such a young guy as well RIP.

Granton Stanton
27-11-2011, 11:24 AM
'The Football Association of Wales has announced the death of national team manager Gary Speed'

from the bbc website. :no way: RIP

Spike Mandela
27-11-2011, 11:25 AM
My god, what happened? Was it illness? Very sad.

Liam89
27-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Just got a text about this, wow. Heart sunk as soon as i read it, such a shame. R.I.P

Barney McGrew
27-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Aged 42. Terrible news.

hibiedude
27-11-2011, 11:26 AM
He was on TV yesterday reports saying he has hung himself

R.I P Gary

frazeHFC
27-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Never knew until i saw it on twitter. Huge shock.

RIP

HibbyAndy
Unbelievably tragic!.

Elephant Stone
Suicide apparently. Terrible news.

nonshinyfinish
Absolutely tragic for anyone to die at that age, RIP.

Westie1875
27-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Shocking news.

RIP.

McKenzie
RIP Gary

tamig
That's an absolute shocker. Very sad news.

matty_f
What horrible news. Such a shame.

MWHIBBIES
27-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Horrible news, RIP Gary

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2011, 11:33 AM
FFS was on football focus yesterday, what a tragedy!

Billy Whizz
27-11-2011, 11:34 AM
I can't quite believe this!

J-C
27-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Just been watching on SSN, such a shame at an early age as well RIP Gary.

TheEastTerrace
27-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm stunned. RIP Gary Speed. Very, very sad.

DH1875
27-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Can't believe it, suicide, shocking. RIP Garry.

IndieHibby
27-11-2011, 11:41 AM
For a man with so much to live for (from the outisde looking in), whatever has driven him to this is a pernicious and destructive thing (depression is the first thing that comes to mind). With Stan Collymore's recent twitter comments, hopefully this disease (if that is what happened here) gets more public understanding. Attitudes to it are generally poor.

Thoughts are with his family at this truly horrible time.

Moulin Yarns
27-11-2011, 11:42 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8918628/Wales-boss-Gary-Speed-found-dead.html

very sad indeed.

what makes things so bad to make a young man take his own life?

iwasthere1972
27-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I was expecting to read that he had applied for the Hibs job. This news is unbelievable and so tragic.

A great player and was doing really well with the Welsh team. Always came across as a likeable person on telly.

Still can't believe it.

RIP Gary.

SRHibs
27-11-2011, 11:44 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8918628/Wales-boss-Gary-Speed-found-dead.html

very sad indeed.

what makes things so bad to make a young man take his own life?

Suicide is the leading cause of death in young men. Shocking stuff really.

RIP Gary Speed.

kaimendhibs
27-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Awful tragedy. Stunned at the news. RIP Gary

hibiedude
27-11-2011, 11:46 AM
For a man with so much to live for (from the outisde looking in), whatever has driven him to this is a pernicious and destructive thing (depression is the first thing that comes to mind). With Stan Collymore's recent twitter comments, hopefully this disease (if that is what happened here) gets more public understanding. Attitudes to it are generally poor.

Thoughts are with his family at this truly horrible time.

I read Collymore's comments yesterday and found it very sad.

Still can't believe Gary speed has gone because only yesterday he was on football focus and came accross as a guy looking forward to the future.

hibbill2002
27-11-2011, 11:47 AM
No suspicious circumstances surrounding the death according to Sky news

biggie1875
27-11-2011, 11:53 AM
sad news r.i.p gary

Crab apple
Met him with my son a couple of weeks ago in Manchester. RIP Gary.

thekaratekid
A Premiership legend

RIP

Baldy
27-11-2011, 11:56 AM
A Premiership legend

RIP

a legend all round

Great player, was looking like being a great manager and a great person

RIP

Capt Mainwaring
27-11-2011, 11:58 AM
SSN said he leaves a wife and two young children.

Tragic news. Since condolences to his family

Can't imagine what would have driven him to such an event, but rest in peace Gary.

Pedantic_Hibee
Stunned at this. Absolutely stunned.

One can only presume that he suffered from hidden depression or maybe something in his private life was about to become news; I don't know, can only speculate. Regardless of what has caused it, what a horrible thing to read.

From the outside looking in, a genuinely talented footballer who was very well liked in football. As a keen follower of Newcastle, he was the consummate professional for the Magpies where he was adored.

'Mon the Hibs
Sky Sports News reporting just now that he hanged himself

Horrible news and a sad loss. Condolences to his family

As someone above mentioned, depression (if this is the case) is not taken as seriously as it should.

RIP Gary Speed

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Beggars belief that a guy who appeared on football focus yesterday was suffering so much for whatever reason that he could take his own life. It really makes you realise that appearances and perceptions mean very little compared to what is going on in someones mind. RIP Gary, you came across as a man who really appreciated what the game of football had given you, though there was no doubt that you also gave so much to the game.

hibsfan7
27-11-2011, 12:13 PM
R.i.p gary

Leishy1995
27-11-2011, 12:18 PM
He may be gone, but he has changed Wales for the better, his legacy may continue. R.I.P Mr Speed, you were a good man and player.

Andy74
27-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Jeezo.

derek0762
27-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Sad Sad news R.I.P Gary. condolences to his family.

andy1875
27-11-2011, 12:23 PM
As others have mentioned I watched Football Focus yesterday and enjoyed listening to him an Gary McCalister. Always seemed to come over as a really decent fella. He also had Wales looking like a really decent side as well.

R.I.P to a Premiership legend.

Bob Box Fish
27-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Sad news. R.I.P

heidtheba
27-11-2011, 12:29 PM
RIP and condolences to his family.

Dashing Bob S
27-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Beggars belief that a guy who appeared on football focus yesterday was suffering so much for whatever reason that he could take his own life. It really makes you realise that appearances and perceptions mean very little compared to what is going on in someones mind. RIP Gary, you came across as a man who really appreciated what the game of football had given you, though there was no doubt that you also gave so much to the game.

You took the words right out off my mouth there buddy, it really does show that there is no way of knowing what is going on inside somebody else's head, and what demons some people have to face on a daily basis just in order to get through life. I was at a funeral of very young guy several years ago who took his own life, and what really got me angry was the wise-after-the-event nonsense some people where muttering on the sidelines about 'seeing that one coming'. I never saw it coming and I certainly never saw this one coming at all.

Here was an immensely popular and successful player who was on on the cusp of great things as an international manager.

My heart goes out to his friends and family.

RIP Gary.

Mikeystewart
27-11-2011, 12:48 PM
You took the words right out off my mouth there buddy, it really does show that there is no way of knowing what is going on inside somebody else's head, and what demons some people have to face on a daily basis just in order to get through life. I was at a funeral of very young guy several years ago who took his own life, and what really got me angry was the wise-after-the-event nonsense some people where muttering on the sidelines about 'seeing that one coming'. I never saw it coming and I certainly never saw this one coming at all.

Here was an immensely popular and successful player who was on on the cusp of great things as an international manager.

My heart goes out to his friends and family.

RIP Gary.

:top marks :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Only this week I was saying to a workmate that is Welsh, that Speed was potentially on the brink of being in control of the best national team in a generation. Can't make sense out of the fact that less than 24 hours ago, he was sitting on FF with Gary McAllister.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I jacked in my work a couple of weeks ago after being signed off a couple of times with depression, its not pleasant. Cant begin to imagine how he was feeling if it was indeed the cause of such a tragic event.

Pretty Boy
27-11-2011, 12:57 PM
I was quite close to going on a bit of a rant about the treatment of and attitude to mental health issues in this country but it's not the time right now.

Genuinely moved by this news, it's just shocking and tragic.

The word legend is banded about far too easily these days but Gary Speed was a Premier League legend. First player to make 500 appearances in that league and was the ultimate pro at every club he was at. His longevity at the top of the game is second to none. He was also shaping up to be a very decent manager and on top of it all semmed a good guy who appreciated what football had given him.

My condolences go to his wife and kids, the fact something has happened that has left them without a usband and father is tragic beyond words.

RIP.

essexhibee
27-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Terrible news. Cant believe it.

Rip.

NOLA
27-11-2011, 01:14 PM
thats come as a shock, sad sad news.

SteveHFC
27-11-2011, 01:19 PM
RIP :boo hoo:

West Upper
27-11-2011, 01:22 PM
RIP Gary

YehButNoBut
27-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Couldn't believe that, they just mentioned it during the Swansea v Villa game, saw him yesterday on Football Focus and you would never guess that this would happen the day after, very tragic.

RIP Gary

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/11/27/gary-speed-dead-wales-manager-found-hanged-aged-42-115875-23592651/

lucky
27-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Very sad news. Battling the demons is a 24 hour fight.

RIP

Biggie
27-11-2011, 01:57 PM
My heart sank when I heard this...just watched him yesterday on football focus....jeezo, what drove a young guy like that to take his life....what was so bad that made him leave his boys without a dad, and wife without her husband ?......he seemed to have it all.....how awful, RIP Gary

Scorrie
27-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Absolutely stunned and sadened by this. Was a great player for Everton and a really nice bloke as well.

Hainan Hibs
27-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Like others completely stunned by the news. Not often moved emotionally but this did it.

Sir David Gray
27-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I saw this earlier on Sky Sports News when the news first broke and I thought it was some kind of twisted joke, I really thought I was hearing things for a minute or two.

It's not fair to speculate on why he has taken his own life, there could be a whole load of reasons that may have driven him to take this action so I think it's best to wait and see if there is any further news on this before commenting.

I just feel so sorry for his wife and two children. Such a tragic loss for them, particularly with it being so close to Christmas as well.

Huge loss for Welsh football in general. He had them doing so well in the past few months and it was looking as if they were in for some exciting times.

Very sad indeed.

Chibs
27-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Extremely sad news.

Whenever this tragic incident happens my mind goes back to erich schaedler.

my condolences to his family and friends

DAVE1875
27-11-2011, 02:29 PM
After watching him laughing and joking on the telly yesterday I still can't come to terms with his passing. A true footballing legend.

R.I.P. Speedy

TornadoHibby
27-11-2011, 02:31 PM
So sad to hear this tragic news about a guy who was a top English top flight midfield player with Leeds Utd, Everton, Newcastle Utd and latterly with Bolton and who was the first guy to play 500 EPL games since its inception during his career! Saw and heard him on Football Focus yesterday and he was nothing other than cheerful, interesting, fair and personable as he always was! Had sorted the Welsh national squad out too and was beginning to get some decent results from the team giving that nation something to look forward to for their National football when for years they had had none!

RIP Gary, always enjoyed watching you and listening to you over the years!

Whatever it was that has pushed him to do what I hear he has done must have been too much for his emotional side to deal with and it is a great shame that he had no-one whom he felt he could share that with in an effort to find a satisfactory solution to which did not involve what has ultimately happened!

Our thoughts must go to his wife and young family who will miss him incredibly as he was apparently a real family man according to messages today from his closest friends like Robbie Savage etc!

R'Albin
27-11-2011, 02:38 PM
For some reason this one has really hit me. The guy had so much going for him, great football career, potentially great managerial career, must have been fine finacially and has a wife and three kids. Just shows, you never know what might be going on inside someone's head.

I agree with Tony Cottee on SSN as well, the todays games would have probably been best called off. It was clearly affecting some of the players, especially the players who knew him.

Shocking news. R.I.P Gary.

YehButNoBut
27-11-2011, 02:41 PM
For some reason this one has really hit me. The guy had so much going for him, great football career, potentially great managerial career, must have been fine finacially and has a wife and three kids. Just shows, you never know what might be going on inside someone's head.

I agree with Tony Cottee on SSN as well, the todays games would have probably been best called off. It was clearly affecting some of the players, especially the players who knew him.

:agree: Craig Bellamy pulled out of Liverpool game.

Sir David Gray
27-11-2011, 02:46 PM

:agree: Craig Bellamy pulled out of Liverpool game.

Also just seen pictures of Shay Given visibly upset as he went towards his goal after the minute's silence before the Swansea-Aston Villa match.

I'm not certain that the Liverpool-Man City game should have been called off but I thought that the Swansea game might have been postponed, purely because of the Welsh connection.

BT58
27-11-2011, 02:46 PM
very sad news indeed,,,,,,,thoughts go to family and friends

LancashireHibby
27-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm still in a sense of shock after this news, absolutely stunned. A real class act, on and off the field, in his time at Bolton and it must be horrific for his close friends and family.

RIP Speedo

Leicester Fan
27-11-2011, 02:57 PM
There's a rumour that one of the tabloids had something on him, no doubt it will all come out in the next few days.

What a tragedy. RIP

Eyrie
27-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Tragic news, and condolences to his family and friends.

Dashing Bob S
27-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Just watching the City game build up on Fox TV in Boston. Warren Barton, who was one of Gary Speed's best friends, having played and roomed with him for five years, was almost moved to tears and did a great and dignified tribute.

Pretty Boy
27-11-2011, 03:03 PM
There's a rumour that one of the tabloids had something on him, no doubt it will all come out in the next few days.

What a tragedy. RIP

If that is the case and whatever paper it is chooses to run the story then they ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Obviously its just a rumour but hopefully the gutter press show a bit respect and dignity for once.

R'Albin
27-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Also just seen pictures of Shay Given visibly upset as he went towards his goal after the minute's silence before the Swansea-Aston Villa match.

I'm not certain that the Liverpool-Man City game should have been called off but I thought that the Swansea game might have been postponed, purely because of the Welsh connection.

There must have been a few players at Liverpool and Man City that have some sort of connection to him? Even the ones who didn't might get a bit bothered by it though, for everyone's sake it might have been might have been better to move the game forward.

If that is the case and whatever paper it is chooses to run the story then they ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Obviously its just a rumour but hopefully the gutter press show a bit respect and dignity for once.

:agree: I really hope so.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
27-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Heartbreaking news. Can't even begin to contemplate how his family are feeling at this time.

col02
27-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Very sad to hear this news as Gary Speed was one of my favourite Premiership players of all time! Always came across as a really nice guy and very likeable going by press interviews and I hope the press as has been mentioned show a bit restraint and respect!

RIP Gary Speed!

Hibbie_Cameron
27-11-2011, 03:20 PM
I cant take this news in, have watched the various news channels since the news broke and just cant believe it.

He scored on my very first visit to St James in 2000 and instantly became a hero, even when he signed for Bolton and into his coaching career I hoped for nothing but the best for him.

RIP Speedo

soupy
27-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Rip Gary, sad times :-(

Hibercelona
27-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Extremely tragic news.

Yet another example that money and success isn't everything.

R.I.P Gary

My heart goes out to your wife and 2 sons.

mrdependable
27-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Tragic news. A lovely guy by all accounts. RIP Speedo

HH81
27-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Really sad news.

Anyone listern to the Interview with Mark Halsey? He was very very upset.

N.Wales Hibby
27-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Very shocked and saddened by this tragic event. My thoughts are with his family.
RIP Gary.

LancashireHibby
27-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Anyone listern to the Interview with Mark Halsey? He was very very upset.

Not heard the interview but Halsey used to train with the Bolton squad on a regular basis so undoubtedly would have grown quite close to Speed at that time as he was the senior player in the squad at that time.

Sammy7nil
27-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Very shocked and saddened by this tragic event. My thoughts are with his family.
RIP Gary.

Here here very sad.

One Day Soon
27-11-2011, 04:15 PM
If it is true that a red top was about to 'out' Speed's sexuality then a) it should be a final nail in the coffin for these low life rat ba5tard5 coming as it does in the wake of the revelations about hacking and the Dowlers and McCanns and b) his family and the police ought to be seriously considering the legal responsibility and liability of the paper and journalists involved.

hibsbollah
27-11-2011, 04:26 PM
just watching hordes of paparazzi ****s outside the family home.

1two
27-11-2011, 04:33 PM
If it is true that a red top was about to 'out' Speed's sexuality then a) it should be a final nail in the coffin for these low life rat ba5tard5 coming as it does in the wake of the revelations about hacking and the Dowlers and McCanns and b) his family and the police ought to be seriously considering the legal responsibility and liability of the paper and journalists involved.

If there's any truth in this, then thats really sickening.

Not that any of us should be surprised which is the worst part of it all.

Elephant Stone
27-11-2011, 04:38 PM

They are absolute filth. Intruding on a family in despair for a pay cheque? The tabloid culture in this country makes me ill.

iwasthere1972
27-11-2011, 04:44 PM

They truly are the pits. No scruples any of them.

Pretty Boy
27-11-2011, 05:15 PM

Absolute ****ing filth the lot of them.

A very clear request was made to respect the families privacy. The public don't need to see pictures of a grieving wife and child especially those who have lost a loved one in such terrible circumstances.

As for the ****bags and immoral rats that buy the pictures from the paparazzi to publish in their newspapers: they are the lowest of the low.

HibeeSince85
27-11-2011, 05:18 PM
This is so sad, seemed a great bloke who could do great things in management like he did in his playing days.

If it is the tabloids I hope it buries them this time, there is no right to drive a man to this.

R.I.P Gary

Condolences to his family

nonshinyfinish
27-11-2011, 05:26 PM

Disgusting. :bitchy:

Rossco1875
27-11-2011, 05:36 PM
r.i.p gary

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-11-2011, 05:40 PM
The coverage on the back pages in these papers of footy is part of what keeps us all interested, but, when it reaches the front pages I really couldnae give a donald duck. Its really sad when you've got to hope its a mental thing instead of anything else just for the sake of his family. Hibs are ***** just now, but, perspective is a wonderful thing.

Ferryhibby
27-11-2011, 05:46 PM
and all wer bothered about was wether we have the right man in charge.....kinda puts everything in perspective really sad news apparently took his own life, christ what kind of turmoil must he have been in....a well liked and respected player and coach with his new life in front of him as welsh coach. R.I.P

McIntosh
27-11-2011, 05:48 PM

beyond belief.

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Remember the Police arresting demonstrators a couple of weeks ago just in case they caused a breach of the peace! Should invoke the same thinking to deal with the **** of the media.

NAE NOOKIE
27-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Always sad when a young person takes their own life. So sad for his wife and kids, just proves I suppose that fame and money dont amount to a hill of beans when things mount up that you cant deal with.

R.I.P Mr Speed.

Sergey
27-11-2011, 06:12 PM
There's just been a magnificent hour of 6-0-6 on Radio 5Live presented by Robbie Savage.

One of the most humbling pieces of radio I've ever listened to. Marconi would be proud.

ScottB
27-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Personally I just have to think the real tragedy here is the young kids who will now have to grow up without their Father.

As for the tabloid press, they are **** beyond the pale, but as long as the public persist in buying their diatribe every day, it will continue!

Big Frank
27-11-2011, 06:27 PM
We get the press we deserve in the UK.

RIP

jax67
27-11-2011, 06:27 PM
R.I.P. Gary Speed, great ambassador for football.

heretoday
27-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Personally I just have to think the real tragedy here is the young kids who will now have to grow up without their Father.

As for the tabloid press, they are **** beyond the pale, but as long as the public persist in buying their diatribe every day, it will continue!

Yes but I still think the editors of these bullying rags should be put in the stocks.

We are supposed to be against bullies in jolly old GB are we not?

the buddha
27-11-2011, 06:32 PM
RIP speedo

chrisski33
27-11-2011, 06:40 PM
RIP gary wish all footballers were like u! Radio 5s 6 0 6 vry moving

ScottB
27-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Yes but I still think the editors of these bullying rags should be put in the stocks.

We are supposed to be against bullies in jolly old GB are we not?

Conversely though, millions of us lap the crap they write up, which inspires them to write more, and try and get more sensationalist / shocking each time.

I would say there is bugger all justification for publishing private information about a football manager in the press, but the fact that such a story would have millions rushing to buy it is the issue. You can punish the journos, but our culture has created them.

judas
27-11-2011, 07:21 PM
We get the press we deserve in the UK.

RIP

Yes indeed.

I wonder how many of the critics on here support the tabloid media every week, by purchasing into it?

You want to beat the tabloids? Start buying decent informative news papers. Otherwise we are simply enhancing the demise of free press, because make no mistake about it, we are all being softened up for major curbs on press freedom. The politicians and wealthy corporations will love that.

Starve the tabloids, feed good journalism.

Pedantic_Hibee
27-11-2011, 07:34 PM
There was a rumour earlier that he may have been gay and the papers were set to "out" him.

If this is the case, and this is what has driven this man to do, then we should just shut the red tops down. They serve no purpose. At all. Other than to sensationalise, mock the afflicted, pursue their own agendas and hang around street corners like unscrupulous tarts lifting their skirts up at any passer-by with the smallest seedy baton for them to pick up and run with.

There's a clear line between what is in the public interest and what is interesting to the public. If rumours are correct and this is the reason Gary Speed took his own life, depriving his wife and kids of a father and husband and thousands of sporting fans of a hero, then I hope the media hacks/two-bob journalists who have perpetrated this rot in hell.

I haven't bought a paper for a few years now and refuse to do so because of the standard of reporting.

A celebrity's gay? So what, who cares. A celebrity has been caught speeding? So what.

All this role model nonsense that they peddle to readers and viewers is a crock of sheeeite, it's a platform and ill-thought-out vindication for them to write what they like and get away with it. The footballer on the pitch is a role-model to the young lad who's sat beside a foul-mouthed parent screaming obscenities at that same player.

Just because you're a celebrity doesn't mean you have to forfeit your right to privacy.

AlbertK86
27-11-2011, 07:47 PM
An ultimate professional

RIP

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Don't know if anyone was watching SSN earlier when they were still gathering comments. They went to speak to ex Man U player Clayton Blackmore and the boy was just breaking his heart. I have yet to hear anything over sentimental or trite. Seems to have genuinely been a nice man to everyone that came in contact with him.

Hibby cal
27-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Very sad news, woke up at 1.30 today to be told by
My son he had died. Could not believe it,the guys the
Same age as me!!!!!!!! He will be remembered as a
Gentlemen of the sport we all love.a true professional
Not like some of the pre madonas of today.
R I P Gary speed & god bless your family

...WentToMowAnSPL
27-11-2011, 08:01 PM
really sad about this.. what a waste :-( RIP

tamig
27-11-2011, 08:03 PM
There's just been a magnificent hour of 6-0-6 on Radio 5Live presented by Robbie Savage.

One of the most humbling pieces of radio I've ever listened to. Marconi would be proud.

I listened to it Serge. Very moving and highlighted what a top top bloke Gary Speed was.

Jonnyboy
27-11-2011, 08:07 PM
RIP Gary. Admired as a player and loved as a person

Sylar
27-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Listened to the first half of the Kilmarnock vs Rangers game on the radio on my way down to Falkirk.

I got out just as it was about to go half time and had a quick errand to run. By the time I got back into the car, I caught the middle of the announcement from Richard Gordon and didn't quite understand what was going on - I thought he had been sacked by Wales for a bit, until they announced clearly that he had been found dead.

I can't quite get my head around it, as from external appearances, he was the manager of a highly potential group of players, had a young family and was probably very secure.

If it IS because of a pending media "revelation", then I agree, it's shameful. I listened to Sienna Miller earlier, saying that she was finding herself in positions whereby she would be chased down a dark street by 10 men, which was classed as acceptable, "because they were carrying cameras". Take the cameras away, and the behaviour becomes unacceptable. The behaviour of the media in this country is indeed shameful, as is evident from the scenes outside the family home this evening.

SteveHFC
27-11-2011, 08:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OIg_rIj_vM

Forthview
27-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I recall a few years ago he played in a pre-season friendly at ER, I think he was with Bolton or Blades.
Loads of players are subbed in the second half in these games and they trot off and some other dude comes on often un-noticed.
I remember when Speed went off he got a solid round of applause from all sides of the stadium including myself, a show of appreciation from football fans to a class footballer. Most Hibs fans likely never saw him play other than on TV and recognised over the years what a class act he was.
Tragic that anybody is so troubled that they take their own life.

rossevenil
27-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Firstly RIP Garry.
A model pro from what I saw of him from his Leeds days and the type of player that our
team so desperately needs right now...................A PROFESSIONAL!!!

Gave his all where ever he played and as already said appeared to be building/moulding a fantastic side for Wales.

If the rumours about "Red Top" involvement are even remotely true I hope the "journalist" (or whatever they profess to be)
is proud of the job they have done!

YOU have his death on your hands and have robbed 2 boys of their father.

Shameful and sadly a part of our "Modern" society where it doesnt matter how nice or good you are at your job,someone always
wants to screw you over.

HH81
27-11-2011, 08:55 PM
I recall a few years ago he played in a pre-season friendly at ER, I think he was with Bolton or Blades.
Loads of players are subbed in the second half in these games and they trot off and some other dude comes on often un-noticed.
I remember when Speed went off he got a solid round of applause from all sides of the stadium including myself, a show of appreciation from football fans to a class footballer. Most Hibs fans likely never saw him play other than on TV and recognised over the years what a class act he was.
Tragic that anybody is so troubled that they take their own life.

Yes it was bolton pre season 07 Hibs won 3-0. Great footballer.

essexhibee
27-11-2011, 08:59 PM
If its true red tops in this country can go and die. You murdering ****.

SteveHFC
27-11-2011, 09:01 PM
If its true red tops in this country can go and die. You murdering ****.

:agree:

Wotherspiniesta
27-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Has anyone considered that maybe he was gay?

jacomo
27-11-2011, 09:52 PM
There was a rumour earlier that he may have been gay and the papers were set to "out" him.

Seems almost unbelievable given the investigations currently ongoing into the behaviour of the press, but if true both media and football need to change their ways now.

What did Gary Speed do to invite anyone in to publish details of his private life? He happened to be a success in a high-profile profession, but hardly courted celebrity.

And football needs to confront its issues with gay players too - it's more than overdue.

Pedantic_Hibee
27-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Seems almost unbelievable given the investigations currently ongoing into the behaviour of the press, but if true both media and football need to change their ways now.

What did Gary Speed do to invite anyone in to publish details of his private life? He happened to be a success in a high-profile profession, but hardly courted celebrity.

And football needs to confront its issues with gay players too - it's more than overdue.

I can't imagine that team-mates would have a problem with a player being gay. It's us fans who would need to belt up and change our ways.

Excellent summary of Speed as well, jacomoseven. He didn't court celebrity one iota.

Yes, there are celebrities out there who do court it, who will phone the paparazzi and invite them to snap them so there is a case of "you can't have it both ways", but for those who are born with a talent that projects them into the public eye, if they don't court the public eye in any other way other than doing their job, they should be left alone with their privacy intact.

Celebrity deaths, I have to (shamefully) admit, are neither really here nor there with me; I barely give it more thought than I do to a non-celebrity dying and whilst I don't glory in their passing, I don't think about it with faux-tears. Gary Speed's death has affected me today, I've thought about it most of the day and applied perspective to much of what I have done today. The "relevations" that his death may have been prompted by the thirst of the media has done nothing short of enraging me.

SmashinGlass
27-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Has anyone considered that maybe he was gay?

Whilst I understand where you are coming from with this, I personally think it is a bit insensitive at the moment. I am sure more info will come out in the weeks and months ahead, however if Speed was gay, he may have wished this to remain in the private domain. The fact that a red top may have become party to information which Gary Speed did not want publicised could well have been enough to tip him over the edge if he was in any way mentally fragile. I don't think the choice between publication of an issue that I wished to remain private and taking my own life is one which could be taken lightly. Certainly, if it does transpire that this is the case, then Speed certainly didn't deserve to lose his life because of the media.

It is an absolute tragedy and one which brings everything currently into perspective. I was about to go into a bit of a political rant there, but out of respect I will leave it.

RIP Gary Speed

bruno
27-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Has anyone considered that maybe he was gay? So what is your point. If he was or wasn't do the press feel they have to expose it. All criticism of the red tops it.s being alleged it is the Telegraph who were about to reveal it. If he was or wasn't it.s surely personal between him and his family.

rossevenil
27-11-2011, 10:26 PM
So what is your point. If he was or wasn't do the press feel they have to expose it. All criticism of the red tops it.s being alleged it is the Telegraph who were about to reveal it. If he was or wasn't it.s surely personal between him and his family.

Exactly,who cares if he was gay? Who does it directly effect? the population of the UK or his immediate family??????

Couldnt give a crap if he was gay/bisexual or whatever,that was his business and not anything to do with the press FFS!
Did it effect his ability to do his job?

Biggie
27-11-2011, 10:38 PM
To add to the frustration of Gary Speeds death is the fact that more than likely the reasons behind this will come out anyway...what a waste of his life....IF (and it's a big if) he was gay, so 'king what.

hibb1
27-11-2011, 10:42 PM
easy way out,coward in my book, feel like crying for his wife,kids and family left behind *** tragedy

Pedantic_Hibee
27-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Exactly,who cares if he was gay? Who does it directly effect? the population of the UK or his immediate family??????

Couldnt give a crap if he was gay/bisexual or whatever,that was his business and not anything to do with the press FFS!
Did it effect his ability to do his job?

Correct, as before, there's a line between what's interesting to the public and what is in the public interest. In this case, if true, it's definitely the former and even then, it'd be interesting for about 4 minutes; it would make no difference to anyone's life if the rumours are true (barring his immediate family).

Eyrie
27-11-2011, 10:45 PM
easy way out,coward in my book, feel like crying for his wife,kids and family left behind *** tragedy
Out of order. Do you have any idea how bad he must have felt to take his own life?

leither17
27-11-2011, 10:46 PM

hardly an easy way out killing yourself do you know anyone that has done that cause i do and they werent cowardly

Greentinted
27-11-2011, 10:48 PM

Behave yourself. No wonder people who are afflicted with this disease end up dead!

Sean1875
27-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Also hearing that hed been cheating on his wife and was gonna be outed by the papers, could be a combination of the stories, cheating with a guy? i guess we may never really know the true reason, a tragic loss for sport and as mentioned before my heart really goes out to his family.

hibb1
27-11-2011, 10:52 PM
yes my brother in law took his own life after being in iraq and i see the mess left behind everyother day,Really sad that someone feels the need to take their life even worse for those left behind

lyonhibs
27-11-2011, 10:52 PM

- if he was suffering from clinical depression (as opposed to just "feeling depressed after a **** day at work") then he is no coward. Must have been a very tortured soul to have taken his own life.

The "easy way out" indeed.................:bitchy::bitchy:

SmashinGlass
27-11-2011, 10:54 PM

Your book clearly has nothing between the covers then!

leither17
27-11-2011, 10:54 PM
yes my brother in law took his own life after being in iraq and i see the mess left behind everyother day,Really sad that someone feels the need to take their life even worse for those left behind

thats a better way of putting it rather than saying someone is a coward and took the easy way
out

Andy74
27-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Correct, as before, there's a line between what's interesting to the public and what is in the public interest. In this case, if true, it's definitely the former and even then, it'd be interesting for about 4 minutes; it would make no difference to anyone's life if the rumours are true (barring his immediate family).

There's loads of stuff we don't need to know that as a public we do like to know though.

Ryan Giggs having affairs? Garry O's problems?

The last bit is interesting and key for me. Nobody would have cared really so take the action he did there must have been some incredible mental illness or frailty that hearing people talk about him has never been evident.

I don't think the press can be blamed because the real underlying reason is his being able to cope with whatever it might have been that could have come to light.

Would the press have been blamed if Giggsy had topped himself?

hibb1
27-11-2011, 10:56 PM
- if he was suffering from clinical depression (as opposed to just "feeling depressed after a **** day at work") then he is no coward. Must have been a very tortured soul to have taken his own life.

The "easy way out" indeed.................:bitchy::bitchy:

Have you ever seen the mess left after suicide?easy to call someone a muppet eh

Sean1875
27-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Coward, no. Selfish, possibly. To leave a wife and children to grow up without a father is an awful thing to do. Not for a minute going to pretend I know what it must feel like to contemplate suicide but to willngly know you would put your family through such an awful ordeal in order to avoid facing a problem is pretty shocking.

1two
27-11-2011, 11:02 PM

Completely out of order and you should delete your post.

For the man to take his life, their has obviously been some mental health issues.

I've been affected by mental health (not me personally but someone very close to me) in the past. It's the one thing, more than anything else, our society needs to be educated on. It's an illness, not a weakness and your comments prove how uneducated you along with the majority of others are on the subject.

Also have some respect.

McIntosh
27-11-2011, 11:03 PM

Come on, get a grip. No need for your first comment.

Jonnyboy
27-11-2011, 11:08 PM

Your ignorance is staggering

Jonnyboy
27-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Coward, no. Selfish, possibly. To leave a wife and children to grow up without a father is an awful thing to do. Not for a minute going to pretend I know what it must feel like to contemplate suicide but to willngly know you would put your family through such an awful ordeal in order to avoid facing a problem is pretty shocking.

Sean - anyone in that place does not think rationally like you and I

hibb1
27-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Completely out of order and you should delete your post.

For the man to take his life, their has obviously been some mental health issues.

I've been affected by mental health (not me personally but someone very close to me) in the past. It's the one thing, more than anything else, our society needs to be educated on. It's an illness, not a weakness and your comments prove how uneducated you along with the majority of others are on the subject.

Also have some respect.

I have experience of mental health in close family member,he fought it hard after being in iraq we all felt his pain and loved him,Now hes gone suicide and i see the pain in his kids eyes even now 10 years on

Sean1875
27-11-2011, 11:14 PM
I understand that and as ive said i am very naive about the subject, both suicide and mental health, however surely going home and seeing something as simple as your kids sleeping or your wife must trigger something in your mind to think "How could I consider doing this to them?"

Andy74
27-11-2011, 11:15 PM

I think that depends and it's why the guy is entitled to his comment.

From all the reports on Speed from his friends there is no real picture of existing mental illness and so there is the possibility, because none of us know one way or the other, that he has got into bother and deciceded this is the way to cope with it.

I always remember my mother telling me there was never anything I could do wrong where it wouldn't be best to let them help me cope with it. Life might have been bad for his family for a bit with whatever he was coping with but it's probably worse now.

hibb1
27-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Your ignorance is staggering

No im sorry i dont think it is,its a teagedy all round,im sorry i feel more sympathy for those left behind.
In no way do i take mental illness lightly

SmashinGlass
27-11-2011, 11:18 PM

I'm going to take issue with this bit. How can you say that with 100% honesty? You weren't the one that was in such a place whereby the only way out was taking your own life. I appreciate that it's not good for those left behind, but unless you are the one that has been in that place and survived it, then I'm sorry but you cannot say that it's worse for those that remain.

In terms of your own position though, it's crap and I do appreciate that.

Jonnyboy
27-11-2011, 11:20 PM
I understand that and as ive said i am very naive about the subject, both suicide and mental health, however surely going home and seeing something as simple as your kids sleeping or your wife must trigger something in your mind to think "How could I consider doing this to them?"

Perhaps the very fact that he could see that and yet still take his like demonstrates just how ill the man was

Jonnyboy
27-11-2011, 11:21 PM
No im sorry i dont think it is,its a teagedy all round,im sorry i feel more sympathy for those left behind.

I think we all feel for the family left behind. My comment was directed at your assertion that the man was a coward

BroxburnHibee
27-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Perhaps the very fact that he could see that and yet still take his like demonstrates just how ill the man was

I honestly cant begin to imagine the pain & turmoil this guy must have been in that he thought that robbing his family of a husband and father was the better option.

Horrible!

Sean1875
27-11-2011, 11:24 PM
A very good point :agree:

1two
27-11-2011, 11:26 PM
I have experience of mental health in close family member,he fought it hard after being in iraq we all felt his pain and loved him,Now hes gone suicide and i see the pain in his kids eyes even now 10 years on

I completely agree with your comments about those left behind, it's tragic. Nobody disagrees with that. But to say suicide is cowardly is stupidity.

Regardless of what we read over the coming weeks, we'll never know the real reason the man done what he did. But it's safe to say it was not the decision of someone with perfect mental health. And im sorry but it's also safe to say the same about your brother.

Jonnyboy
27-11-2011, 11:29 PM
I think that depends and it's why the guy is entitled to his comment.

From all the reports on Speed from his friends there is no real picture of existing mental illness and so there is the possibility, because none of us know one way or the other, that he has got into bother and deciceded this is the way to cope with it.

I always remember my mother telling me there was never anything I could do wrong where it wouldn't be best to let them help me cope with it. Life might have been bad for his family for a bit with whatever he was coping with but it's probably worse now.

Andy, take it from someone who knows. The biggest 'defence' against people finding out that you suffer from mental illness is to hide the fact behind a painted on face

Greentinted
27-11-2011, 11:29 PM
I've not commented much here as it is highly emotive and deeply tragic. However, I came across this and feel it goes some way to describing what transpires in the mind of a suicidal person -

"It is often said that suicide is a selfish act. Of course it is, that’s the whole point. When a mind is tortured enough to want to wipe itself out forever, then how can anyone or anything else matter? Suicide, while it may not be painless, is most definitely selfish – it has to be."

Personally, I only hope he now has his peace.

Andy74
27-11-2011, 11:30 PM

I completely agree with your comments about those left behind, it's tragic. Nobody disagrees with that. But to say suicide is cowardly is stupidity.

Regardless of what we read over the coming weeks, we'll never know the real reason the man done what he did. But it's safe to say it was not the decision of someone with perfect mental health. And im sorry but it's also safe to say the same about your brother.

You are however making the assumption that it's only a decision that can be made by someone who isn't in perfect mental health.

There are other instances where the person has no mental issues and makes a decision to take their life instead of facing up to something they have done. That is cowardly and while we have no idea what the story is it's as valid a view as any.

SRHibs
27-11-2011, 11:33 PM

I've been depressed - not to the extent that I was suicidal, but still - and I only saw myself as a burden in the worst of times. In some sort of twisted logic, I'm sure a depressed person could easily have the distorted idea that they were somehow doing their family a favour by killing themselves.

Everything everyone does is selfish to a degree though, IMO.

Andy74
27-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Andy, take it from someone who knows. The biggest 'defence' against people finding out that you suffer from mental illness is to hide the fact behind a painted on face

Yes, but equally he might not have. It seems to be the assumption but there's no more supportbforvthat view than there is the other.

Anyway, said more than wanted to on this as its just tragic whatever the circumstances.

hibb1
27-11-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm going to take issue with this bit. How can you say that with 100% honesty? You weren't the one that was in such a place whereby the only way out was taking your own life. I appreciate that it's not good for those left behind, but unless you are the one that has been in that place and survived it, then I'm sorry but you cannot say that it's worse for those that remain.

In terms of your own position though, it's crap and I do appreciate that.

I cant say that 100% your right i was not there,I was side by side with him for nearly three years after and i knew his pain but i couldnt feel it your right.But i see the aftermath and sorry coward is maybe harsh but its the way i feel on suicide.

SmashinGlass
27-11-2011, 11:37 PM
I cant say that 100% your right i was not there,I was side by side with him for nearly three years after and i knew his pain but i couldnt feel it your right.But i see the aftermath and sorry coward is maybe harsh but its the way i feel on suicide.

If that's your position, you obviously have your reasons for it. I personally disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

capitals_finest
27-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Please don't turn this thread into a debate about suicide.

Very sad news, RIP Gary Speed.

1two
27-11-2011, 11:41 PM
You are however making the assumption that it's only a decision that can be made by someone who isn't in perfect mental health.

There are other instances where the person has no mental issues and makes a decision to take their life instead of facing up to something they have done. That is cowardly and while we have no idea what the story is it's as valid a view as any.

You're right, it would be my assumption that anyone who makes the decision to kill themselves has to have mental health issues.

hibb1
27-11-2011, 11:46 PM
If that's your position, you obviously have your reasons for it. I personally disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

Its an emotional topic for me.
May they rest in peace and there loved ones find it also

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2011, 07:24 AM
They truly are the pits. No scruples any of them.

:agree:I cant understand why they would do this, i dont want to see a family grieve, i dont know anyone who would?

They should be banned from hounding folk who have lost family, whatever the circumstances.

R.I.P Gary.

chrisski33
28-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Cant imagine how his kids and wife.must be feeling. My wife said something along the lines of wh!t hibb1 said but didnt call him a coward. Hopefully the issue of suicide in young men can be tackled

Pretty Boy
28-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Cant imagine how his kids and wife.must be feeling. My wife said something along the lines of wh!t hibb1 said but didnt call him a coward. Hopefully the issue of suicide in young men can be tackled

The issue of suicide in young men simply has to be tackled now, for too.long it has been a secret shame.

I have personal experience of quite severe depression and found the help available by and large to be woefully inadequate. Thankfully I finally met a HP who took me seriously and got me on the road to getting the help I needed. Given some of the dark thoughts that went through my mind without her then who knows.

As for the poster using the term 'cowards way out'. It's just so, so wrong.and having read his/her follow up posts it just seems all the more incredible they would use that phrase.

Skanko79
28-11-2011, 10:14 AM
R.I.P. Gary, Smashing player in his day and was doing agreat job with Wales.

Just cant imagine why anyone would want to put that strain on their family and freinds just before christmas. May not be a cowards way out but certainly a selfish one.

Elephant Stone
28-11-2011, 10:21 AM
R.I.P. Gary, Smashing player in his day and was doing agreat job with Wales.

Just cant imagine why anyone would want to put that strain on their family and freinds just before christmas. May not be a cowards way out but certainly a selfish one.

You've absolutely no idea why he did it, how can you say that?

Skanko79
28-11-2011, 10:23 AM
You've absolutely no idea why he did it, how can you say that?

Selfish towards his family, regardless of why he did it, its still a pretty selfish thing to do. would you be up to the task of explaining to his kids what he has done?

RiseAbove
28-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Selfish towards his family, regardless of why he did it, its still a pretty selfish thing to do. would you be up to the task of explaining to his kids what he has done?

Someone else who has no idea of what they are talking about, none of us know the reason(s) why Speed took his own life. Having suffered depresssion myself i think i can have a decent say on the subject, when you are in the depths of dispair you are only thinking of yourself and escaping your problems and perhaps suffering that you have cuased others, sadly thinking rationally in that situation is not as easy as you may think.

Elephant Stone
28-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Of course not but if a relative had left me in a similar position I'd be able to see that the state of mind they were in was too far from what I could possibly imagine for me to judge them for their actions while having that state of mind.

Skanko79
28-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Someone else who has no idea of what they are talking about, none of us know the reason(s) why Speed took his own life. Having suffered depresssion myself i think i can have a decent say on the subject, when you are in the depths of dispair you are only thinking of yourself and escaping your problems and perhaps suffering that you have cuased others, sadly thinking rationally in that situation is not as easy as you may think.

Just because i choose not to plaster any dealings i may have had with suicide/mental health on a public forum doesnt mean im not entitled to my opinion.

I'm really not interested in how you feel when you have these issues. My point is, as sad as it is it leaves behind far more emotional dealings for close family and friends who will no doubt be wondering why he has done this, also, my thoughts are more with the person who is going to have to explain this to his kids and face their questions.

Skanko79
28-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Of course not but if a relative had left me in a similar position I'd be able to see that the state of mind they were in was too far from what I could possibly imagine for me to judge them for their actions while having that state of mind.

you no more than than 5 minutes a go told me that i have no idea why he has done this, so how do you know what state of mind he was in or what has happened for him to do this.

As i said in my previous thought as sad as the whole situation is i really cant imagine how difficult it will be for the person who has to explain this to his children.

s.a.m
28-11-2011, 10:39 AM

If the decision to end his life was taken rationally and calmly, then there may be a case for that argument. We don't know, however, what state his mind was in at the time he did it, and without knowing more, it's - at the very least - disrespectful to be making accusations. Clearly his family have been left with a terrible burden, as have other families in the same position. However, people making that choice are often in the very depths of depression / despair / fear, and judging their continued existence from a different position than the people round about them do. They may be feeling that their life is a burden to others, or that they're so useless or wicked that the world would be a better place without them. They may believe that their family don't care or would prefer them dead. There are any number of things that would seem irrational to the rest of us, that may be fuelling the mind of a person who is gripped by depression or fear or self-loathing.

We don't know why he chose to do what he did, and in the meantime it doesn't seem appropriate to be casting judgement.

Elephant Stone
28-11-2011, 10:40 AM
]you no more than than 5 minutes a go told me that i have no idea why he has done this, so how do you know what state of mind he was in or what has happened for him to do this.[/B]

As i said in my previous thought as sad as the whole situation is i really cant imagine how difficult it will be for the person who has to explain this to his children.

I don't know what you don't understand. I have no idea what it would be like to be suicidal and I wouldn't be able to judge a person on their actions when feeling suicidal because I have no idea of the level of despair, I'd therefore never call anyone in their position selfish.

Skanko79
28-11-2011, 10:47 AM
If the decision to end his life was taken rationally and calmly, then there may be a case for that argument. We don't know, however, what state his mind was in at the time he did it, and without knowing more, it's - at the very least - disrespectful to be making accusations. Clearly his family have been left with a terrible burden, as have other families in the same position. However, people making that choice are often in the very depths of depression / despair / fear, and judging their continued existence from a different position than the people round about them do. They may be feeling that their life is a burden to others, or that they're so useless or wicked that the world would be a better place without them. They may believe that their family don't care or would prefer them dead. There are any number of things that would seem irrational to the rest of us, that may be fuelling the mind of a person who is gripped by depression or fear or self-loathing.

We don't know why he chose to do what he did, and in the meantime it doesn't seem appropriate to be casting judgement.

Ive never once casted judgement as to why he done it. I think you probably need to have a wee read over my previous posts.

Skanko79
28-11-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't know what you don't understand. I have no idea what it would be like to be suicidal and I wouldn't be able to judge a person on their actions when feeling suicidal because I have no idea of the level of despair, I'd therefore never call anyone in their position selfish.

i disagree.

Greentinted
28-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Just because i choose not to plaster any dealings i may have had with suicide/mental health on a public forum doesnt mean im not entitled to my opinion.

I'm really not interested in how you feel when you have these issues. My point is, as sad as it is it leaves behind far more emotional dealings for close family and friends who will no doubt be wondering why he has done this, also, my thoughts are more with the person who is going to have to explain this to his kids and face their questions.

The bit in bold says it all really.

Skanko79
28-11-2011, 11:02 AM
The bit in bold says it all really.

but the rest is right.......

Pretty Boy
28-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Maybe time to close this thread as it has moved a million miles away from where it should have been.

Some of the comments are bordering on being downright disgusting but ignorance means the person responsible probably won't even realise it, which is just sad really.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2011, 11:07 AM
To be in such a bad place that you actually carry suicide out, i'd imagine selfishness is the last thing that person would be thinking?

Greentinted
28-11-2011, 11:15 AM
but the rest is right.......

If you are happy demonstrating a distinct and spectacular lack of insight and empathy then fair enough. With respect I suggest your hypothesis is very far removed from the reality.

Gary Speed's premature death has highlighted an enormous socio-health problem which has been subject to derision and ridicule for time immemorial. Do you really think it's an easy thing to overcome the animalistic instinct hard wired in us all to survive? If this course of action is taken, then things must be very very bleak indeed - being in the blackest bit of the blackest bit is not the finest place to land in.

And aye, I can see how the aftermath of suicidal actions can be devastating for the bereaved.

I can't help thinking that a lot of the tributes to GS would have been whispered, snide remarks had he failed to die. (Y'know - the old 'he's a ***** nutter, pyscho, etc') Attitudes need challenging until such time we, both as individuals and as a culture, can confront mental health issues/suicide with understanding.
What is it they say - walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you judge them.

hibsbollah
28-11-2011, 11:20 AM
This thread has gone in a very, dare i say, depressing, direction.

Until you've experienced it yourself, its probably best to leave your judgemental pish to yourself.

fatbloke
28-11-2011, 11:23 AM
There but for the grace of God go all of us

RIP Gary Speed.

Skanko79
28-11-2011, 11:24 AM
If you are happy demonstrating a distinct and spectacular lack of insight and empathy then fair enough. With respect I suggest your hypothesis is very far removed from the reality.

Gary Speed's premature death has highlighted an enormous socio-health problem which has been subject to derision and ridicule for time immemorial. Do you really think it's an easy thing to overcome the animalistic instinct hard wired in us all to survive? If this course of action is taken, then things must be very very bleak indeed - being in the blackest bit of the blackest bit is not the finest place to land in.

And aye, I can see how the aftermath of suicidal actions can be devastating for the bereaved.

I can't help thinking that a lot of the tributes to GS would have been whispered, snide remarks had he failed to die. (Y'know - the old 'he's a ***** nutter, pyscho, etc') Attitudes need challenging until such time we, both as individuals and as a culture, can confront mental health issues/suicide with understanding.
What is it they say - walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you judge them.

what more do you want me to say? ive admitted its a terrible thing thats happened but openly said i feel more sorry for his family who are going to have to explain this to his kids. Do you not think thats a wee bit selfish on speed's part putting whoever is going to have to do that in that position?? I really cant see any problem with that, its a fair point. I'm not getting dragged into a debate about social issue or growing problems amongst young men in the UK. Ive made my point and if you disagree then fair do's.

Greentinted
28-11-2011, 11:26 AM
what more do you want me to say? ive admitted its a terrible thing thats happened but openly said i feel more sorry for his family who are going to have to explain this to his kids. Do you not think thats a wee bit selfish on speed's part putting whoever is going to have to do that in that position?? I really cant see any problem with that, its a fair point. I'm not getting dragged into a debate about social issue or growing problems amongst young men in the UK. Ive made my point and if you disagree then fair do's.

You must say what you want. And as I think I commented earlier - suicide is selfish, it has to be.

I'll leave it at that.

bawheid
28-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Aye, put the spade down would be my advice.

Andy74
28-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Maybe time to close this thread as it has moved a million miles away from where it should have been.

Some of the comments are bordering on being downright disgusting but ignorance means the person responsible probably won't even realise it, which is just sad really.

No need for that. The many different views are valid. Particularly as we don't know what has happened. It's dangerous to make too many assumptions and make judgements on those.

One of the possibilities is that he didn't suffer from any sort of depression and that this was a way out of a difficult situation. Some people are just giving some opinions on what they would think in that case.

Suggesting people are ignorant and can't see that themselves is just daft.

Speedway
28-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Another horrible element is that the red tops got their front page sales boost either way.

Pretty Boy
28-11-2011, 11:47 AM
No need for that. The many different views are valid. Particularly as we don't know what has happened. It's dangerous to make too many assumptions and make judgements on those.

One of the possibilities is that he didn't suffer from any sort of depression and that this was a way out of a difficult situation. Some people are just giving some opinions on what they would think in that case.

Suggesting people are ignorant and can't see that themselves is just daft.

Andy I've read your posts on a few threads regarding this subject and.whilst I don't agree with you, I respect your opinion because you have made your case with a certain dignity and restraint.

I am quite uncomfortable with the way another poster has made his point. The terminology he has used just doesn't sit at all well with me. Of course suicide is a selfish act, as another poster has said it has to be. However unless you have real experience of depression no.one can understand what that place is like. The comment that I took most offence at was that other had 'plastered' their stories on here. Attitudes like that are what endure mental illness remains a taboo subject.

I agree with your argument that until the facts come out it isn't clear Gary Sped even had depression. Fair point but I would counter even if it was an act carried out to escape a situation there must still have been some kind of mental health issue for suicide to seem the only/best option.

Finally the ignorance comment certainly wasn't aimed at you, or anyone with a different opinion, but rather someone who made a semi valid point but ruined it with continued use of pretty crass terminology.

Hibby D
28-11-2011, 12:02 PM

It's possible his thoughts were more in line with "how can I continue to do this to them?" None of us know the extent of his thoughts, except perhaps his wife. Either way, it's a tragic and heartbreaking story :agree:

I've been depressed - not to the extent that I was suicidal, but still - and I only saw myself as a burden in the worst of times. In some sort of twisted logic, I'm sure a depressed person could easily have the distorted idea that they were somehow doing their family a favour by killing themselves.

The issue of suicide in young men simply has to be tackled now, for too.long it has been a secret shame.

I have personal experience of quite severe depression and found the help available by and large to be woefully inadequate. Thankfully I finally met a HP who took me seriously and got me on the road to getting the help I needed. Given some of the dark thoughts that went through my mind without her then who knows.

As for the poster using the term 'cowards way out'. It's just so, so wrong.and having read his/her follow up posts it just seems all the more incredible they would use that phrase.

I empathise with Hibb1 - I too have witnessed the aftermath of a suicide...20+ years down the line and the emotions are as raw as ever with the strongest of those being anger. Anger at what those left behind see as their own failings; What could I have done? What did I miss? Could i have stopped this happening? And anger at their loved one for being so "stupid" "selfish" "cowardly" "scared" "unable to ask for help". It never goes away, just changes direction.

The worst thing anyone can do is close the door on this subject. It's emotive yes but it's also so important that we discuss our feelings and learn from others'. Shut this thread and you could be closing the door on someone who is ready to reach out

RIP Gary Speed and strength and love to his loved ones

Pretty Boy
28-11-2011, 12:17 PM
It's possible his thoughts were more in line with "how can I continue to do this to them?" None of us know the extent of his thoughts, except perhaps his wife. Either way, it's a tragic and heartbreaking story :agree:

I empathise with Hibb1 - I too have witnessed the aftermath of a suicide...20+ years down the line and the emotions are as raw as ever with the strongest of those being anger. Anger at what those left behind see as their own failings; What could I have done? What did I miss? Could i have stopped this happening? And anger at their loved one for being so "stupid" "selfish" "cowardly" "scared" "unable to ask for help". It never goes away, just changes direction.

The worst thing anyone can do is close the door on this subject. It's emotive yes but it's also so important that we discuss our feelings and learn from others'. Shut this thread and you could be closing the door on someone who is ready to reach out

RIP Gary Speed and strength and love to his loved ones

It's a fair point you make.

Phrases like coward and selfish do spark up a real anger in me though. As another poster has asked had Gary Speed failed in his suicide how long would it have been before the sympathy turned to snide remarks and names like 'nutter' or 'psycho'?

A lot of it comes down to personal experience and fear of being outed as 'mad' was what took me so long to seek help. Luckily I had better friends than I could ever have imagined but at the time I did feel like a coward, after all young guys should be out having a few beers and chasing girls not.being depressed!

Unfortunately mental illness does make you a selfish person. However its.not in the normal way someone could be selfish. I genuinely believed at times I was a burden on others and they would be better if I wasn't around. Although suicide may have been a selfish act it would have been done for reasons I perceived to be selfless, I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Inevitably such a topic will always be emotive and perhaps suggesting the thread be closed was a bit premature, I'm just very aware that the stigma around mental health means a debate can turn nasty and become hurtful very quickly.

Brebners Bookie
28-11-2011, 12:47 PM

If you ask me thats the same as saying "it was really selfish of him getting cancer". Its the same thing in my eyes. Speed was the victim of a terrible illness that forced him to take his own life, it wasn't a conscious decision on his part, tragically there was just something medically and chemically wrong with his mind.

ScottB
28-11-2011, 12:51 PM
If you ask me thats the same as saying "it was really selfish of him getting cancer". Its the same thing in my eyes. Speed was the victim of a terrible illness that forced him to take his own life, it wasn't a conscious decision on his part, tragically there was just something medically and chemically wrong with his mind.

To be fair, at this stage it is just assumed that he was clinically depressed isn't it?

Probably best at this stage not debating the cause of the event, till if / when it ever comes out.

Brebners Bookie
28-11-2011, 12:59 PM
To be fair, at this stage it is just assumed that he was clinically depressed isn't it?

Probably best at this stage not debating the cause of the event, till if / when it ever comes out.

True

Andy74
28-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Andy I've read your posts on a few threads regarding this subject and.whilst I don't agree with you, I respect your opinion because you have made your case with a certain dignity and restraint.

I am quite uncomfortable with the way another poster has made his point. The terminology he has used just doesn't sit at all well with me. Of course suicide is a selfish act, as another poster has said it has to be. However unless you have real experience of depression no.one can understand what that place is like. The comment that I took most offence at was that other had 'plastered' their stories on here. Attitudes like that are what endure mental illness remains a taboo subject.

I agree with your argument that until the facts come out it isn't clear Gary Sped even had depression. Fair point but I would counter even if it was an act carried out to escape a situation there must still have been some kind of mental health issue for suicide to seem the only/best option.

Finally the ignorance comment certainly wasn't aimed at you, or anyone with a different opinion, but rather someone who made a semi valid point but ruined it with continued use of pretty crass terminology.

Appreciate that response.

Skanko79
28-11-2011, 01:07 PM
"it was really selfish of him getting cancer"..

steady..........

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Whilst the reasons behind this tragic event have yet to come to light, its still very very interesting to read the greatly differing views on such an emotive issue as depression.

Hibby D
28-11-2011, 01:36 PM
http://sites.google.com/site/oneinfourcitizenjournalism/twitter-and-social-media-guidelines-for-discussing-suicide

Some relevent guidelines on how "we" should be conducting ourselves when discussing suicide on a public forum

Speedway
28-11-2011, 01:43 PM
On the issue of 'selfishness' this seems to be a recurring theme on Facebook with a number of status updates saying things like 'Thoughts are with the family, pity his weren't' which I think is out of order really.

Sylar
28-11-2011, 02:01 PM
The 606 programme on Five Live was absolutely heartbreaking last night - Robbie Savage, for all his usual confidence and swagger was very clearly broken.

Describing him getting the news, phoning Speed's mobile and it ringing out was exceptionally sad.

Nice to hear so many with so many nice words and stories about him, both as a footballer and a person.

CyberSauzee
28-11-2011, 02:01 PM
It's very sad someone has had to take their own life. We don't know the reasons why but depression has been mentioned. Worthwhile reading a long tweet Stan Collymore posted on Saturday morning:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ecoqm1

lapsedhibee
28-11-2011, 02:13 PM
The 606 programme on Five Live was absolutely heartbreaking last night - Robbie Savage, for all his usual confidence and swagger was very clearly broken.

Describing him getting the news, phoning Speed's mobile and it ringing out was exceptionally sad.

Nice to hear so many with so many nice words and stories about him, both as a footballer and a person.

Why would you ring someone's mobile if you'd got news that he had died? :confused:

And why is it ok to have a seven page thread speculating on someone's presumed private mental state on no evidence whatsoever yet it is not ok to have a thread speculating on the same person's private sexual orientation on exactly the same basis, ie none at all? :dunno:

This should all be in the Leveson enquiry. :grr:

SRHibs
28-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Why would you ring someone's mobile if you'd got news that he had died? :confused:

And why is it ok to have a seven page thread discussing someone's presumed private mental state on no evidence whatsoever yet it is not ok to have a thread discussing the same person's private sexual orientation on exactly the same basis, ie none at all? :dunno:

This should all be in the Leveson enquiry.
Maybe because he didn't believe what he'd heard, or didn't want to believe?

I think the fact that he committed suicide is a pretty strong indicator that he was suffering from a mental illness, don't you? If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Wembley67
28-11-2011, 02:17 PM

And why is it ok to have a seven page thread speculating on someone's presumed private mental state on no evidence whatsoever yet it is not ok to have a thread speculating on the same person's private sexual orientation on exactly the same basis, ie none at all? :dunno:

Because the person making the call does not accept the news to be true. I know or people that have done similar things.

Sylar
28-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Not wanting to believe the news? It's not a rational response, but if you're given such devastating news of a family member/close friend, I doubt anyone would think rationally.

I sincerely hope you're not referring to the thread which was on the PM board last night, which was one of the most deplorable threads I've read on hibs.net in a very long time.

That was **** all to do with Speed and the hugely speculative rumours on his sexuality - it was a soapbox for homophobic vitriol, typed by someone clearly not big enough to have his views dissected by the wider .net community and beyond.

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Way, way, past time in my opinion. It's okay, even very healthy, wanting to debate these issues, (even the comments shrouded in ignorance have a function in the debate) but this thread was supposedly a tribute to a prominent figure in a sport we all love. It does us no favours as a support to confuse the two issues.

hibsbollah
28-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Not wanting to believe the news? It's not a rational response, but if you're given such devastating news of a family member/close friend, I doubt anyone would think rationally.I sincerely hope you're not referring to the thread which was on the PM board last night, which was one of the most deplorable threads I've read on hibs.net in a very long time.That was **** all to do with Speed and the hugely speculative rumours on his sexuality - it was a soapbox for homophobic vitriol, typed by someone clearly not big enough to have his views dissected by the wider .net community and beyond. You mean the PM board is even more intolerant and full of vitriol for folk perceived as 'different' than hibs.net main boards? thats another reasin not to part with my £10 then :greengrinI can guess which poster you might mean.

lapsedhibee
28-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Not wanting to believe the news? It's not a rational response, but if you're given such devastating news of a family member/close friend, I doubt anyone would think rationally.

I wonder if it wasn't so much "news" in the traditional sense that he got, ie factual information, but "rumour", ie something that might or might not be true. Not having a go at him for his response; it's just very sad that the media in general (tabloid press and internet message boards in particular) make no hard and fast distinction between fact and made up pish.

It doesn't at all follow, in my view, that to commit suicide you must have been clinically depressed.

SRHibs
28-11-2011, 02:51 PM
It doesn't at all follow, in my view, that to commit suicide you must have been clinically depressed.

Well, it's by far the most likely candidate and is far more respectful to entertain that notion, than the possibility that he was homosexual, and about to be outed. Also, there aren't many things that'll make you go completely against your human nature and instincts, and make you capable of killing yourself. Don't think many with rational thought processes would be offing themselves, even if there was something negative regarding them about to hit the light.

lapsedhibee
28-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Well, it's by far the most likely candidate and is far more respectable to entertain that notion, than the possibility that he was homosexual, and about to be outed. Also, there aren't many things that'll make you go completely against your human nature and instincts, and make you capable of killing yourself. Don't think many with rational thought processes would be offing themselves, even if there was something negative regarding them about to hit the light.

Don't know how "respectable" this is, but if you were an extremely fit person and you just discovered you had an aggressive and incurable wasting disease you might be inclined to bring forward the inevitable. That wouldn't be anything to do with depression.

Among the many assumptions on this thread is one that he committed suicide. Has this been confirmed? All I heard the polis say was that there were no suspicious circumstances, ie he wasn't murdered.

JimBHibees
28-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Don't know how "respectable" this is, but if you were an extremely fit person and you just discovered you had an aggressive and incurable wasting disease you might be inclined to bring forward the inevitable. That wouldn't be anything to do with depression.

Among the many assumptions on this thread is one that he committed suicide. Has this been confirmed? All I heard the polis say was that there were no suspicious circumstances, ie he wasn't murdered.

He hung himself been reported widely. Incredibly sad and horrible waste of a very talented life. Who knows what made him do this? Would imagine it was something very serious or some story about him which shamed him to the core.

Allant1981
28-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Cant imagine what his family are going through. Or the person who found him. I had the misfortune of getting a shout one day and that was what had happened. Just a pity he didnt get help for whatever was on his mind

lapsedhibee
28-11-2011, 04:12 PM
He hung himself been reported widely.

From The Gruniad (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/28/gary-speed-inquest-announced?newsfeed=true):
"It has been widely reported that Speed took his own life, but this has yet to be confirmed officially.

A Cheshire police spokeswoman said: "Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead. The next of kin have been informed and have confirmed the identity of the man as Gary Speed."

His wife is reported to have found him. Maybe just the strange way that polis spokespeeps phrase things, or maybe just me being igorant of the procedure, but why would they then have to inform the next of kin so that he could be identified? Why would she not have identified him? :confused:

1two
28-11-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm sure itmust be a procedural thing.

BSEJVT
28-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Genuinely saddened by his death, whatever the reasons, his state of mind or anything else.

Saddened also by the fact even at this time people on this thread found it necessary to repeat the rumours and heresay that may or may not have driven him to taking his own life. I would love to know what purpose they thought they were serving?

For the thread to then degenerate into the type of squabble around the moral imperatives of his decision then just sickens me.

Its a tribute thread to the guy for goodness sake, the issues raised on both sides are valid and deserve airing, but like anything there is a time and place (eg another thread).

It annoys me that people have so little thought that they would ruin something which might have given the family some comfort in years to come because they want to have their say.

RIP Gary

Andy74
28-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Genuinely saddened by his death, whatever the reasons, his state of mind or anything else.

Saddened also by the fact even at this time people on this thread found it necessary to repeat the rumours and heresay that may or may not have driven him to taking his own life. I would love to know what purpose they thought they were serving?

For the thread to then degenerate into the type of squabble around the moral imperatives of his decision then just sickens me.

Its a tribute thread to the guy for goodness sake, the issues raised on both sides are valid and deserve airing, but like anything there is a time and place (eg another thread).

It annoys me that people have so little thought that they would ruin something which might have given the family some comfort in years to come because they want to have their say.

RIP Gary

It's not a tribute thread and I think some of the conversation has been quite educational and helpful.

I think we need to keep perspective that any chat we might be having here makes no difference to the situation.

I think it's natural to try and make sense of things and that will probably include what the backstory might be.

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2011, 05:10 PM
It's not a tribute thread and I think some of the conversation has been quite educational and helpful.

I think we need to keep perspective that any chat we might be having here makes no difference to the situation.

I think it's natural to try and make sense of things and that will probably include what the backstory might be.

Completely agree with that Andy, but I think the other poster was correct in saying that it should be a separate thread. Not to all uptight and pedantic about it, but there will be a lot of journo's/posters scouring the net for dirt, and I think opinions about somebody's supposed sexuality or the nature of suicide should be somewhere else and not on a condolences thread.

Wotherspiniesta
28-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Whilst I understand where you are coming from with this, I personally think it is a bit insensitive at the moment. I am sure more info will come out in the weeks and months ahead, however if Speed was gay, he may have wished this to remain in the private domain. The fact that a red top may have become party to information which Gary Speed did not want publicised could well have been enough to tip him over the edge if he was in any way mentally fragile. I don't think the choice between publication of an issue that I wished to remain private and taking my own life is one which could be taken lightly. Certainly, if it does transpire that this is the case, then Speed certainly didn't deserve to lose his life because of the media.

It is an absolute tragedy and one which brings everything currently into perspective. I was about to go into a bit of a political rant there, but out of respect I will leave it.

RIP Gary Speed

I'm sorry if it came across as insensitive, I was just trying to get an understanding of why someone who seeminlgy had everything would even contemplate taking his own life. I just think its hyperbole saying that " the media in this country are murderers" etc. Of course there's nothing to suggest that Speed was gay, but if they were to make such an accusation against him, you'd imagine that they had a story to back it up and ,whilst insensitive to him and his family, if Gary had done something he regretted or done something that he needed to confess to his wife orf amily about, he could have done that. There's nothing wrong with being gay. Its 2011. Just utterly baffling why he felt like this was his only resort. I'm sad for him, but even more deeply sorry for his family.

Wotherspiniesta
28-11-2011, 05:27 PM
So what is your point. If he was or wasn't do the press feel they have to expose it. All criticism of the red tops it.s being alleged it is the Telegraph who were about to reveal it. If he was or wasn't it.s surely personal between him and his family.

My point is, if he was, he could and should have told his family and those closest to him about it, rather than depriving his sons of a dad, his wife of a husband and his parents of a son.

SmashinGlass
28-11-2011, 08:27 PM
My point is, if he was, he could and should have told his family and those closest to him about it, rather than depriving his sons of a dad, his wife of a husband and his parents of a son.

How do you know he didn't?

Wotherspiniesta
28-11-2011, 08:29 PM
How do you know he didn't?

Good point.

SvenNeil
28-11-2011, 09:13 PM
My condolences to Gary's family and all who knew him. It is wrong for any of us to speculate, judge or second guess what was going on and why he took his own life. We may never know the reasons but to guess them can do more damage than good.

But suicide is the biggest killer of young men below 35 and 3 out of 4 suicides are male. Scotland's suicide rate is almost twice that of England and there are over 1 million suicide world wide each year - more people die by suicide each day that were killed on 9/11. It is worrying that suicide rates for middle age men are rising at a time when suicide has declined by 14% in Scotland since 2002.

So, whilst I don't agree with all that's been posted on this thread, it is good that mental health and suicide is being at least talked about.

Isolation and stigma are real barriers to prevention so the more we can air them, the greater the chance we can reach out to others who feel suicidal.

RIP Gary - you will be missed.

SmashinGlass
28-11-2011, 09:28 PM
My condolences to Gary's family and all who knew him. It is wrong for any of us to speculate, judge or second guess what was going on and why he took his own life. We may never know the reasons but to guess them can do more damage than good.

But suicide is the biggest killer of young men below 35 and 3 out of 4 suicides are male. Scotland's suicide rate is almost twice that of England and there are over 1 million suicide world wide each year - more people die by suicide each day that were killed on 9/11. It is worrying that suicide rates for middle age men are rising at a time when suicide has declined by 14% in Scotland since 2002.

So, whilst I don't agree with all that's been posted on this thread, it is good that mental health and suicide is being at least talked about.

Isolation and stigma are real barriers to prevention so the more we can air them, the greater the chance we can reach out to others who feel suicidal.

RIP Gary - you will be missed.

If you want to know why suicide is a constant menace, I would recommend reading anything by Emile Durkheim. In fact he wrote a book titled 'Suicide' Whilst it is now 100+ years old, his writing rings true. It's actually quite scary. Whilst there are mental health issues involved, society itself is a lot of the problem.

lapsedhibee
29-11-2011, 05:53 AM
Today's Daily Telegraph:

"Hayden Evans, who was the best man at the couple’s wedding and acted as Speed’s agent, said the football manager's wife Louise was bewildered and baffled by his apparent suicide.

The retired midfield player was found hanged at his home in Cheshire on Sunday morning.

Following his death tributes from the world of football and beyond were paid to the 42-year-old who played for Leeds, Everton, Newcastle and Bolton Wanderers.

Mr Evans said Speed's wife had told him the couple had not argued in the hours before his death.

"Louise is saying that's not the case. She just doesn't understand it," he told The Sun.

"They were happily married and anyone who knows them will tell you that. This is why it's a mystery.

"We genuinely at the moment have no clue whatsoever what has caused it and I have been with the family all day."

He added: "Everybody is asking the same question and no one has an answer. We are all in shock."

He declined to discuss why Speed had apparently decided to take his own life. He denied Speed was suffering from depression."

Leicester Fan
29-11-2011, 09:09 PM
The latest rumour is that it was his wife who was having an affair.

Andy74
29-11-2011, 09:12 PM
My missus, who works in this area was telling me today that the majority of suicides are related to incidents or issues that happen within 36 hours of the attempt. It's not normally related to an existing mental illness.

Eyrie
29-11-2011, 09:52 PM
The latest rumour is that it was his wife who was having an affair.
Not aimed at you, but I wish that the rumours would stop. Every one that is false makes it worse for Speed's family and friends, and the truth is not really any of our business.

KdyHby
29-11-2011, 10:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USH9CqGTKXc

LancashireHibby
03-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Just wanted to mention on this thread well done to the guys who started the "there's only one Speedo" chant during the minute's applause last night. As someone who enjoyed watching GS during his time at Bolton, it was very touching to hear the chant go up amongst the applause. :agree:

Alfred E Newman
03-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Just wanted to mention on this thread well done to the guys who started the "there's only one Speedo" chant during the minute's applause last night. As someone who enjoyed watching GS during his time at Bolton, it was very touching to hear the chant go up amongst the applause. :agree:

As far as I`m concerned, having a minutes applause last night was totally unnessessary regardless of anyones views on the circumstances surrounding the mans death. It will soon get to the stage where we are having a minutes something on a weekly basis.

LancashireHibby
03-12-2011, 06:11 PM
As far as I`m concerned, having a minutes applause last night was totally unnessessary regardless of anyones views on the circumstances surrounding the mans death. It will soon get to the stage where we are having a minutes something on a weekly basis.

He was the current international manager for one of the 'Home Nations' and this is the first weekend of games since his death, so I think it's only right that there was some sort of memorial for him.

marinello59
03-12-2011, 06:17 PM

Did it hurt you? You didn't have to join in. I do wonder sometimes about this but it's no great strain to let people show some mark of respect to do so if they so wish.

Alfred E Newman
03-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Did it hurt you? You didn't have to join in. I do wonder sometimes about this but it's no great strain to let people show some mark of respect to do so if they so wish.

I stood in respect as we were asked to. I didn`t applaud.

marinello59
03-12-2011, 06:23 PM

So no problem really then?

marinello59
03-12-2011, 06:23 PM

RIP Gary

The Baldmans Comb
03-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Full marks for keeping open what is a very interesting and enlightening tribute debate and you can't help but speculate what would make such a succesful and well respected man take his own life if indeed there has to be any reason at all.

I can't remotely imagine that sort of darkness but I can easily imagine the pain and suffering his wife and two young children will now have to endure for ever.

My thoughts are almost entirely with them.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2011, 07:48 PM

While i do agree with part of what you say, it does seem to be we are having these more and more.

I do think Speed deserved one, he is manager of wales and so imo deserves one.

Football should respect their own, its public dignitaries that i'm not 100% sure on.

marinello59
03-12-2011, 07:50 PM
While i do agree with part of what you say, it does seem to be we are having these more and more.

I do think Speed deserved one, he is manager of wales and so imo deserves one.

Football should respect their own, its public dignitaries that i'm not 100% sure on.

Spot on.

Sir David Gray
03-12-2011, 08:01 PM

I've no problem with marking Gary Speed's death before matches up here, however I do personally think it's a bit much that, by the time Liverpool play on Monday, they'll have had a minute's applause three times in nine days.

I know it's because their opponents haven't had the opportunity to pay their respects before but maybe it would have been a better idea to hold back the minute's applauses until this weekend, so that all clubs have one opportunity to mark his passing.

Also, I don't know what anyone else thinks but I personally feel that minute's applauses are inappropriate, particularly when someone has died at a young age and under tragic circumstances, as is the case with Gary Speed.

I don't mind them so much when you're remembering a former player/manager who has just passed away in their sleep of old age but, for me, it should always be a minute's silence and a period of reflection.

blackpoolhibs
03-12-2011, 08:05 PM
I've no problem with marking Gary Speed's death before matches up here, however I do personally think it's a bit much that, by the time Liverpool play on Monday, they'll have had a minute's applause three times in nine days.

I know it's because their opponents haven't had the opportunity to pay their respects before but maybe it would have been a better idea to hold back the minute's applauses until this weekend, so that all clubs have one opportunity to mark his passing.

Also, I don't know what anyone else thinks but I personally feel that minute's applauses are inappropriate, particularly when someone has died at a young age and under tragic circumstances, as is the case with Gary Speed.

I don't mind them so much when you're remembering a former player/manager who has just passed away in their sleep of old age but, for me, it should always be a minute's silence and a period of reflection.

I used to think the silence was best, but the applause stops any clown or clowns from ruining it, and while i'd prefer the silence, sometimes the applause is just the best way to go.

DaveF
03-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Same here. A minutes applause is the easy way out to cover for those who are incapable of a moment's reflection.

LancashireHibby
03-12-2011, 08:14 PM
The Speed tributes did originally begin as a minute's silence, and I think the applause is entirely appropriate for a footballer who would have thrived on the noise of the crowd, not on silence.

Sir David Gray
03-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I used to think the silence was best, but the applause stops any clown or clowns from ruining it, and while i'd prefer the silence, sometimes the applause is just the best way to go.

I understand that reasoning but I don't think we should be pandering to morons.

It's unfortunate that there are some people who can't manage to stay quiet for 60 seconds or, if they feel so strongly, stay away from the stadium until after the silence has ended.

I don't think anyone would have done that in Gary Speed's case though. Even the rival fans of the teams he played for (Sunderland, Liverpool, Manchester Utd) were respectful of him.

I know what you're meaning though, but I'll personally always favour a silence.

Iggy Pope
03-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Surely far better for his family to hear thousands of people enthusiastically celebrating his life rather than sombre quiet reflection - I am sure they've had plenty of that on their own.

Sir David Gray
03-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Surely far better for his family to hear thousands of people enthusiastically celebrating his life rather than sombre quiet reflection - I am sure they've had plenty of that on their own.

Fair enough.

It's clear that view is in the majority as the applauses seem to be quite popular nowadays.

They're just not my cup of tea.