PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Squad who would you keep - Magic Wand Time

Sammy7nil
26-11-2011, 10:33 PM
If you could terminate all the other players contracts and start again who would you keep?
Like a wildcard at fantasy football. I would keep -

Brown
Hanlon
Booth
Stephens
Osborne
O'Connor
Sproule
Griffiths

All the rest can go and some of the above would not be starters

Sir David Gray
26-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Booth
Sproule
O'Connor
Griffiths

I would not bat an eyelid if any of the others left first thing tomorrow morning.

Sammy7nil
26-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Booth
Sproule
O'Connor
Griffiths

I would not bat an eyelid if any of the others left first thing tomorrow morning.

That is the sad thing our SQUAD is so bad there is very little to work with.

sundo1875
26-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Stack booth and griffths to stay the rest can leave

BroxburnHibee
26-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Brown, Booth, O' Connor, Griffiths

Thats it!

Quality NOT quantity is what we need.

CallumLaidlaw
26-11-2011, 10:45 PM
I would keep

Stack
Brown
Hanlon
Stephens
Booth
Spoony
Osborne
Thornhill
Sproule
O' Connor
Griffiths

Shrekko
26-11-2011, 10:46 PM
If you could terminate all the other players contracts and start again who would you keep?
Like a wildcard at fantasy football. I would keep -

Brown
Hanlon
Booth
Stephens
Osborne
O'Connor
Sproule
Griffiths

All the rest can go and some of the above would not be starters

I'd keep them and Wotherspoon. The rest are useless.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Brown
O'Connor
Booth
Hanlon
Wotherspoon
Osbourne
Stephens

millarco
26-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Booth, Wotherspoon, Palsson, Hanlon, Osbourne, O'Connor and Griffiths, though I wouldn't be too bothered if they left either.

SteveHFC
26-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Stack
Hanlon
Booth
Wotherspoon
O'Connor
Palsson
Stephens
Sodje
Osbourne
Griffiths

AFKA5814_Hibs
26-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Booth
Griffiths
Osbourne
Wotherpoon

Even a couple of them are dodgy.

Hibs have a woefully, inadequate squad, really, REALLY bad.

We need a total clear out, big time. :agree:

Northernhibee
26-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Stack
Brown
Hanlon
Stephens
Booth
Osbourne
Stevenson
Wotherspoon
Griffiths
O'Connor
Sodje

Sergeant Hibs
27-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Stack
Hanlon
Booth
Towell
Osbourne
Spoony
Agogo
Galbraith
O'Connor
And maybe Griffiths

Wotherspiniesta
27-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Football is a team game. A lot of our players are decent/good individually which is why people want them kept, but until they start acting like a unit, then they can all bugger off as far as I'm concerned. The sad fact is, we have nobody capable of turning this mess around on their own. I mean, who are the leaders in this team? Who's the defender who's going to hold the back 4 together and keep us solid when we're under pressure? Not one of them! Who's the hard hitting midfielder that can fire us up in the centre of the park? Not one of them! Who's the creative midfielder who can play just behind the front men and slip in clever passes behind the opponents backline? Not one of them!

You only have to look at Barcelona to see how a good team works. They hunt in packs, press the ball high and play as a team. I watched Liverpool last week go to Chelsea and press the Chelsea backline as soon as they got the ball and it paid off for them.

Pat Fenlon's going to have a helluva job getting these semi taleneted individuals playing as a team.

Sammy7nil
27-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Football is a team game. A lot of our players are decent/good individually which is why people want them kept, but until they start acting like a unit, then they can all bugger off as far as I'm concerned. The sad fact is, we have nobody capable of turning this mess around on their own. I mean, who are the leaders in this team? Who's the defender who's going to hold the back 4 together and keep us solid when we're under pressure? Not one of them! Who's the hard hitting midfielder that can fire us up in the centre of the park? Not one of them! Who's the creative midfielder who can play just behind the front men and slip in clever passes behind the opponents backline? Not one of them!

You only have to look at Barcelona to see how a good team works. They hunt in packs, press the ball high and play as a team. I watched Liverpool last week go to Chelsea and press the Chelsea backline as soon as they got the ball and it paid off for them.

Pat Fenlon's going to have a helluva job getting these semi taleneted individuals playing as a team.

:top marks
The only thng i disagree with is semi some don't reach that mark

DH1875
27-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Sad thing is that Griffiths isn't even ours to keep and he could well be away come January.

Judas Iscariot
27-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Hanlon
Booth
Stephens
Osbourne
Sproule
Griffiths
O'Connor

heretoday
27-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Stack and Booth of the defence. Osbourne and Griffiths further forward. Huge clearout.

Dashing Bob S
27-11-2011, 12:53 PM
The squad isn't good enough. The tough task for Nutsy is to work out why. Basically that means sorting out the no-hopers from the under performers, and binning them. With the under performers left, he'll then need to decide which of them can be rebooted by better man-management, coaching and being played in best positions, and the ones who are better plying their trade elsewhere.

The problem is that process would probably give us a squad of about two, both of whom will be out of contract in January. So it also needs new bodies coming in.

But no sense in naming names - we're all looking for scapegoats, let Nutsy do his thing. I just hope some of wasters and shirkers are wilting under that bespectacled glare this monday morning. Kick their *****, Nutsy, they deserve it.

Baldy
27-11-2011, 12:59 PM

the worst thing is, thats exactly the difference yesterday, St Johnstone hunted in packs, we hid in packs

James70
27-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Before we get carried away with debating who we need to get rid of let's look at how Derek McInnes has turned round the fortunes of Bristol City.

They had one win in their first ten games and now 13 points from their last five with the same squad of players plus a loan signing of Stephen Pearson.

I'm not saying that Fenlon can match up to that sort of record but with a new manager and new ideas and methods who knows?

Our players are not as bad as they seem, all they need is good leadership and proper organisation.

Andy74
27-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Before we get carried away with debating who we need to get rid of let's look at how Derek McInnes has turned round the fortunes of Bristol City.

They had one win in their first ten games and now 13 points from their last five with the same squad of players plus a loan signing of Stephen Pearson.

I'm not saying that Fenlon can match up to that sort of record but with a new manager and new ideas and methods who knows?

Our players are not as bad as they seem, all they need is good leadership and proper organisation.

I don't know. There are cases of players under performing and then there are just poor players.

I think what CC has done is taken us from an under performing team to a poor one.

Feed McGraw
27-11-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't know. There are cases of players under performing and then there are just poor players.

I think what CC has done is taken us from an under performing team to a poor one.

I think what CC has done is pretty much nothing really. We were absolutely dire when he arrived and the same when he left.

silverhibee
27-11-2011, 01:16 PM

Sorry, but yes they are.

Kammy1875
27-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Booth
Wotherspoon
LG
GOC
Ozzy
Hanlon.

Cheerio the rest. :aok:

James70
27-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Strange how everyone has different ideas about who should be shipped out! :greengrin

silverhibee
27-11-2011, 01:21 PM
From todays starting 11.

Stack. Mistake after mistake that are costing goals and points. Get rid.
Wotherspoon. What has happened to this lad, once a great prospect now struggling. Keep. Hope new manager gets him back to his best.
O'Hanlon. Bombscare. Get rid.
Stephens. Still young, shouldn't be thrown in at his age to bail us out of the mess we are in. Keep. Still a lot of learning to do.
Hanlon. Needs to toughen up and be more aggressive and be aware of players around him. Undecided
Towell. Not for me, slow, dont rate. Get rid.
Sproule. Not working for him second time round at Hibs. Get rid.
Scott. Never an SPL player, and he got a three and half year contract. . Get rid, but how.
Stevenson. Tin hat on here, poor mans John Rankin, should never have got an extension to his contract, nice lad mind you. Get rid.
Osbourne. Will be better with better players around him, cant do it all on his own in midfield. Keep.
Griffiths. Will be away in January.

Subs.

Agogo. Get rid.
Sodje. Hardly played this season. Get rid, but may be being Harsh.
Galbraith. Too soft pushed of the ball at ease. Get rid
Brown. Good back up goalie. Keep
Murray. Will be his last season at Hibs.
Palsson. Still young but needs to buck up and concentrate on football, hopefully Pat can help him get motivated again. Keep.
Welsh. Still young lad. Keep.

Players not involved today.

Hart. Injury prone and just crap. Get rid.
O'Connor. Out of sorts just now, looks unfit, head elsewhere, will be away at end of season if not January, or in the pokey soon.
Thornhill. Shown glimpses, but injury prone to often. Get rid.
Booth. This lad looked a star in the making when he first appeared in the first team, not even making the squad today, still young. Keep.

So another clear out is needed to get rid of the dross that Calderwood has lumbered us with.

Just my thoughts, but Pat Fenlon will need to be a miracle worker to get anything from this bunch of players

Feed McGraw
27-11-2011, 01:48 PM
I`m presuming the amount of people who`d like to keep the likes of Hanlon and Wotherspoon are hoping they fulfil their potential.Well I hope they do too, but a footballer`s career is a relatively short one and both these lads turn 22 years old in January and with the amount of 1st team games these two have had, I think they should be showing a lot more than they have.

Hanlon was all over the place at CH so they shifted him to LB where IMO he has marginally improved, but still looks vulnerable, especially against pace. Wotherspoon has been shifted around as well and has been really below par and lacking confidence. I thought after some great press and a goal in the 21`s he would have been bursting with confidence in the next match v. Kilmarnock, but his 1st half performance was one of the worst I`ve seen.

Maybe if PF can make us a stronger outfit they might flourish in a better team, IF they get the chance with him.

Anyway, I`d keep the Goalies`, Booth, O`Connor, Griffiths (if we can), Sproule (more as a sub) and maybe Osbourne.

NorthNorfolkHFC
27-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I'd keep. Brown, Wotherspoon, Hanlon, Stephens, Booth, Osbourne and Griffiths.

The rest can leave. That includes coaching staff!!!

Stack is good but attracts unnecessary attention, Garry O'Connor (same as Stack) and don't think he is a good guy to have about, we have to weigh up his contribution and his attitude. Sproule, was never great and is now a shadow of that person=guff!!!

My starting team:

Brown

Stephens Hanlon (Both CB)

Wotherspoon (CM) Osbourne (CM) Booth (LM)

Griffiths (s)

That leaves, rb and lb to find, rm and S to find

silverhibee
27-11-2011, 02:31 PM
For starters we need four new defenders and a creative midfielder.

Andy74
27-11-2011, 03:51 PM
From todays starting 11.

Wotherspoon. What has happened to this lad, once a great prospect now struggling. Keep. Hope new manager gets him back to his best.
Stephens. Still young, shouldn't be thrown in at his age to bail us out of the mess we are in. Keep. Still a lot of learning to do.
Hanlon. Needs to toughen up and be more aggressive and be aware of players around him. Undecided
Scott. Never an SPL player, and he got a three and half year contract. . Get rid, but how.
Stevenson. Tin hat on here, poor mans John Rankin, should never have got an extension to his contract, nice lad mind you. Get rid.
Osbourne. Will be better with better players around him, cant do it all on his own in midfield. Keep.

Subs.

Agogo. Get rid.
Palsson. Still young but needs to buck up and concentrate on football, hopefully Pat can help him get motivated again. Keep.

O'Connor. Out of sorts just now, looks unfit, head elsewhere, will be away at end of season if not January, or in the pokey soon.
Booth. This lad looked a star in the making when he first appeared in the first team, not even making the squad today, still young. Keep.

So another clear out is needed to get rid of the dross that Calderwood has lumbered us with.

Just my thoughts, but Pat Fenlon will need to be a miracle worker to get anything from this bunch of players

Wouldn't argue with much of that.

Cropley10
27-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Seen nothing in Brown to think there aren't better, much better keepers out there. We STILL don't have a decent keeper.

I'd keep Booth Stephens Towell and Osbourne. Garry and Lee won't stay. I think a better coach will get Palsson playing well :tinhat:

I'd alsolike Ian Murray to get a coaching role.

The rest? :taxi: :greengrin:

AlbertK86
27-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Brown Booth Palsson Ozzy & GOC

The rest can go as they are rank

Hibernia Na Eir
27-11-2011, 07:39 PM
only one, GOC.

cad
27-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Booth
Griffiths
Osbourne
Wotherspoon

Even a couple of them are dodgy.

Hibs have a woefully, inadequate squad, really, REALLY bad.

We need a total clear out, big time. :agree:

Yup thats about it ,

Spoons was burnt out 18 months ago and hasn't improved IMO.
Griffiths could be a player for us
As for Ozzy ,he needs to up the anti .

I don't think it will take Pat long to find out what he can use and what he cant ,balancing our squad and keeping us up will be the hard part ,
Looking at the players some have chosen to retain ,could put Hibs back years , time to move on in some cases ,just not good enough in other ,
and just playing at it could be attributed to more than a few .
3 iffy choices to retain out of our entire squad says it all , if Pat can motivate some he may get 6 very average players
,nothing Rod could sell anyway we are in all sorts .

HibbyKeith
27-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I don't care who goes or who stays.

All i want is a squad of players who can 1. Trap a ball, and 2. Pass with purpose to another Hibs player.

I just want to sit and watch a team that can string a few passes together. back to basics. the fancy stuff can come later.

Have any of you counted how many successful passes the team can actually achieve in a game recently? if you have counted more than 6 then it was a good weekend.

Over the last 18 months you would watch a better game of football down the links. To think these guys get more money per week than most of us earn in 2 months makes my blood boil.

Monkey Harris
27-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Booth
O'Connor
Spoony
Griffiths
Brown
Sproule

Expecting Rain
28-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Booth,Hanlon and Spoony, they are all more than capable when playing in their proper positions with a half decent team, i wouldn`t lose any sleep at any of the rest of the squad moving on.

The_Exile
28-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Wouldn't have O'Connor anywhere near a Hibs shirt at the moment, bad example, although without him we'd be in the deep stuff, but still rather struggle on without him than have him round the club, I'd keep Stack, Palsson, Osbourne, Booth, Hanlon, Wotherspoon (who looks better when playing for Scotland, wonder why that is?) and try and keep a hold of Griffiths, and would empty the rest including a couple of the "coaches". This could take years to rectifiy given the fact that some of the players are on fairly lengthy contracts.

I envisage we'll have a rotten finish to the year, finishing around 10th or 11th, fans will hound the manager out, and I will be posting the same tripe this time next year. Ooh to be a.............:rolleyes:

Jones28
28-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Brown
Stack

Towel
Stephens
Hanlon
Booth
Osbourne
Wotherspoon
Palson
Griffiths
Galbraith
O'connor

Too many journeymen in that team, get most of them tae f***, bring through the youngsters, sign a CB, a midfielder and another striker as you never know with GOC these days

Mikeystewart
28-11-2011, 11:19 AM
From back to Front

Stack

Hanlon
Stephens
Murray
Booth

Osbourne
Wotherspoon

O'connor
Grithiths (either extended loan or permanently, the way he's been playing I wouldn't be surprised if Wolves let him go, but I do think there is potentially a good player in there.)

Elephant Stone
28-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Definitely:
O'Connor
Booth
Hanlon

Probably:
Stack
Brown
Griffiths
Wotherspoon
Galbraith (This must be his last manager at Hibs if he doesn't perform this time)
Towell

Possibly:
Palsson- He must be better than he's been playing. Surely!
Osbourne- Shown signs of ability but I'm yet to be convinced

PatHead
28-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Not sure who I would keep but I do know we need 2 fullbacks and a centre half for the defence. A midfielder who can make a telling pass and a midfielder who gets up and supports the forwards. I would also like to see Spoony get a chance to be the player supporting the forwards as he did in the recent U21 match . With any luck this can re-invigorate his career.

More than anything though we need a leader on the park. This lark of having 11 captains on the pitch isn't working. Its just like non competitive school sports where the crap ones can hide. We need someone who will run through brick walls, shout at other players and motivate them, a winner and hopefully PF has identified that and has someone in mind as there is no-one obvious in the squad just now.

By the way I suspect, from the Boh's messageboards, that PF will start with us as 4 5 1 as he doesn't take chances in bigger games and all the games are big just now. Won't be pretty to watch at first but if it gets us winning-who cares.

James70
28-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Stack has never impressed me that much and has started to make too many mistakes which previous keepers in better Hibs sides have been crucified for. I would get Brown back in goals with immediate effect.

O'Hanlon has failed to impress since his arrival and as the most experienced central defender we have I don't think he is leading the back line as he should be.

Galbraith and Thornhill both appear to be very injury prone and lightweight.

Booth, Wotherspoon and Hanlon all have international caps and with the right guidance should go on to greater things.

Pallson is also an international cap and was captain of Liverpool reserves but seems to have gone of the boil temporarily.

Scott is probably a squad player at best though Derek Adams must have seen something in him.

O'Connor and Griffiths will soon be gone and I doubt if Agogo or Sodje have futures with us either.

I still don't think we have bad players and it just comes down to a lack of leadership and team spirit but I'm sure Fenlon will soon make up his mind who has a long term future and who doesn't.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2011, 11:41 AM
From todays starting 11.

Subs.

Agogo. Get rid.

Apart from Stack, i agree with every word. ( 9 out of 10 smiley ) :wink:

HibbyDave
28-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Not fussy about keeping anybody currently on the books.

I'm sure that there is some quality there but unless an attitude adjustment happens ASAP then we can look forward to a very nervy season from here onwards.

Stevie Wonder could see that we need a defence and one or two midfielders who can pass. We also need to say to the passengers it's time to go......cheaper to simply tear up their contracts than to continue sacking managers etc

The_Exile
28-11-2011, 02:29 PM
What we are missing is a solid spine of the team, mainly at the back, we need 2 CB's, preferably one being pacey, a solid CM and a target man up front - O'Connor is perfect for this but his heid will be mince at the moment, I'd just get rid now and cut our losses, Agogo and Sodje? Not convinced I'm afraid, now is the time to put big money into the team (I don't mean millions, that would be daft, I mean wages which will attract a high calbre player, decent basic wages but with big bonuses if targets hit, goals, assists, clean sheet, blood spilled against hearts etc), if that isn't done now, then we'll be at the same crossroads in a couple of years time.

If Fenlon isn't given at least 3 or 4 years to try and sort this out then shame on us!

AustinHibee
28-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Having watched Hibs for nearly 50 years i would not keep any of the most gutless,spineless and uninterested bunch of so-called football players i have ever seen at Easter Road.

KWJ
28-11-2011, 06:20 PM
I think what CC has done is pretty much nothing really. We were absolutely dire when he arrived and the same when he left.

Yup.

I think there are some good players in there that are simply underperforming. Confidence is key and the manager has to bring this. Some of them certainly don't have the mentality and unfortunately I think that could be our better players ala O'Conner, Sproule, Wotherspoon & Hanlon. Playing well at the top of their game these guys are of international standard playing poorly with their head down they struggle to look like footballers.