PDA

View Full Version : Which players moving forward would you keep - sell - bin ?

GreenCastle
26-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Contract expiry of the players below - who should we keep - sell (any takers??! ) - bin ?

Are certain players really playing for their futures ?

Are players on longer term contracts in a comfort zone ?

Who would we want to come in - names / positions ?

Thoughts?

2012 -

Stack - bin
M.Brown - bin
M.Hart - bin
I.Murray - retiring at end of season? Youth Coaching staff?
R.Towell - keep
L.Stevenson - bin
V.Palsson - bin - unless he starts improving to where he should be
S.Welsh - not seen enough
G.O'Connor - keep
J.Agogo - undecided
A.Sodje - undecided
L.Griffiths - keep

2013 -

S.O'Hanlon - sell ?
D.Stevens - undecided
D.Wotherspoon - keep
D.Galbraith -keep
M.Thornhill - keep
I.Sproule - keep
I.Osbourne - keep

2014 -

M.Scott -undecided

2015 -

Callum Booth - keep

2016 -

Paul Hanlon - keep

Spike Mandela
26-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Don't mean to be flippant but there are none at the club that I would be that bothered about getting rid of.

There is nobody in this team that inspires allegiance for me.

Elephant Stone
26-11-2011, 04:39 PM
I'd want to see how they perform under PF before deciding who to bin, they're not playing anywhere near to their potential at the moment.

SkintHibby
26-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Keep Sproule? Yer havin a giraffe surely!!!:rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Fenlon can get rid of the lot bar two or three, most are not good enough imo. Obviously i'd get rid of certain players first, but we have a squad of very poor players, and only a couple of them again imo are worth persevering with.

muzzhfc
26-11-2011, 04:45 PM
i would send spoony and booth out on loan for some positive environment. get their confidence back as for the rest. bin with the possible exception of hanlon, he is a decent defender and we havent seen him play with a good defense yet. theres no danger we are holding on to garry o so not bothered, never been a big fan of ivan tbh as i think he is a one trick poney. id actually keep galbraith thinking about it

GreenCastle
26-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Keep Sproule? Yer havin a giraffe surely!!!:rolleyes:

Wasn't sure - but still think he would be decent off the bench.

James70
26-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm sure that there are no poor players in our squad.

However they need to be organised, motivated, some are lacking confidence and some need their rses kicked.

It will be interesting to see how they are performing after 3 or 4 weeks working under the new management team.

There may be one or two who don't relish a new work ethic but their may also be half a dozen who thrive on it.

Only time will tell.

greenlex
26-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Contract expiry of the players below - who should we keep - sell (any takers??! ) - bin ?

Thoughts?

2012 -

Stack - bin
M.Brown - bin
M.Hart - bin
R.Towell - keep
L.Stevenson - bin
G.O'Connor - keep
J.Agogo - undecided
A.Sodje - undecided
L.Griffiths - keep

2013 -

S.O'Hanlon - sell ?
D.Stevens - undecided
D.Wotherspoon - keep
D.Galbraith -keep
M.Thornhill - keep
I.Sproule - keep
I.Osbourne - keep

2014 -

M.Scott -undecided

2015 -

Callum Booth - keep

2016 -

Paul Hanlon - keep

Out of that lot the only ones I would keep at this particular moment in time are in no particular order Hanlon Booth Osbourne Stephens and ....... Well that's about it.

hibsbollah
26-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Keep Sproule? Yer havin a giraffe surely!!!:rolleyes: i'd keep Sproule too, so you can roll those eyes.At the moment; Stephens, Osbourne, Ivan, O'Connor.

Saorsa
26-11-2011, 04:55 PM
The 3 in my sig + Griffiths though I doubt we'd get him permanently, the rest TBH can :bye:

jacomo
26-11-2011, 05:23 PM
"moving forward"? As opposed to what, moving backwards?

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Lewis Stevenson has surely played his last game in a Hibs shirt. Miserable showing.

glenberviehibee
26-11-2011, 05:40 PM
bin the lot total bunch of crap

PeterboroHibee
26-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Pretty much all of them can go, they are terrible. Osbourne looks a class above them all every time I see him play.

johnrebus
26-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Booth, Hanlon, Wotherspoon and Osbourne.

basehibby
26-11-2011, 06:07 PM
I'd want to see how they perform under PF before deciding who to bin, they're not playing anywhere near to their potential at the moment.

:agree: I think some of the current underperformers could show up a lot better with some consistently good coaching. Far too often I've seen players wandering about the pitch like lost sheep this season and this is largely due to a lack of strong and consistent leadership from the dugout IMO.

That's not to say that our current squad is anywhere near good enough to be where we want it to be though - there are some glaring weaknesses which Fenlon will need to address and I would certainly hope that means better players coming in in some positions.

PS - the OP has a short memory re goalkeepers if he thinks we ought to dump Stack and Brown. It's been many years since we've had two such reliable custodians between the sticks to call upon - just a shame that now we've finally got round to it the rest of the team are pish!

Andy74
26-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't be bothered if none of them played for us again.

macidee1875
26-11-2011, 06:16 PM
would punt o'conner and sproule. Both brought in to boost season ticket sales. Not had the desired effect and now both displaying stinking attitudes.

matty_f
26-11-2011, 06:16 PM
I don't know what Wotherspoon has done to merit being kept on, he's one if the players who frequently costs us goals, picks bad options, and generally doesn't show up in games. When was his last good game for us?

I'd keep Stack and Brown.

From the defence I like Stephens who has loads of potential. After that I wouldn't be gutted to see any of them go.

Midfielders - Osbourne is a good player, probably the best at the club at present. I'd keep him, Ivan, Palsson (I think he's capable but needs work). Nobody else really sticks out.

O'Connor from the forwards. I don't get the fuss over Griffiths, so far he has looked every bit the player trying to step up a level from Firsy Divisionn football and not quite getting there. Agogo isn't good enough and if Sodje isn't impressing enough to get a start in this squad then he can go too.

Amazingly we have managed to spectacularly screw up the opportunity to overhaul the squad from last season.

GreenCastle
26-11-2011, 06:18 PM
:agree: I think some of the current underperformers could show up a lot better with some consistently good coaching. Far too often I've seen players wandering about the pitch like lost sheep this season and this is largely due to a lack of strong and consistent leadership from the dugout IMO.

That's not to say that our current squad is anywhere near good enough to be where we want it to be though - there are some glaring weaknesses which Fenlon will need to address and I would certainly hope that means better players coming in in some positions.

PS - the OP has a short memory re goalkeepers if he thinks we ought to dump Stack and Brown. It's been many years since we've had two such reliable custodians between the sticks to call upon - just a shame that now we've finally got round to it the rest of the team are pish!

Fair point - with a steady back 4 then maybe they would look better - still think they both have faults - dealing with crosses being one.

GreenCastle
25-12-2011, 09:13 PM

Thoughts?

2012 -

Stack - bin
M.Brown - bin
M.Hart - bin
R.Towell - keep
L.Stevenson - bin
G.O'Connor - keep - Possibly going to OF ?
J.Agogo - undecided - Gone according to reports
A.Sodje - undecided
L.Griffiths - keep

2013 -

S.O'Hanlon - sell ?
D.Stevens - undecided
D.Wotherspoon - keep
D.Galbraith -keep- Needs to show us what he has
M.Thornhill - keep - Gone / Going according to reports
I.Sproule - keep - Needs to show us he's a worth a start
I.Osbourne - keep - Seeing his form this season - glad he's staying

2014 -

M.Scott -undecided

2015 -

Callum Booth - keep

2016 -

Paul Hanlon - keep

UPDATED A MONTH ON - SEE BOLD ABOVE -

Seems next season the team whether be in Division 1 or SPL is going to be totally different - those out of contract in 2012 can start speaking to clubs in January - will they be really bothered what league Hibs will be in next season if they know they aren't getting a new contract ? :rolleyes:

Could this be a big problem in the team ?

yekimevol
25-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Stack - keep
M.Brown - bin
M.Hart - bin
I.Murray - keep
R.Towell - bin
L.Stevenson - bin
V.Palsson - keep - unless he starts improving to where he should be
S.Welsh - bin
G.O'Connor - keep
J.Agogo - bin
A.Sodje - keep
L.Griffiths - keep
S.O'Hanlon - bin
D.Stevens - keep
D.Wotherspoon - keep
D.Galbraith -keep
M.Thornhill - bin
I.Sproule - keep
I.Osbourne - keep
M.Scott -keep
Callum Booth - keep
Paul Hanlon - keep

Sir David Gray
25-12-2011, 09:24 PM
There is no-one in the squad that I would be at all botherd about if they were to leave over the next few months.

Seriously.

GreenCastle
25-12-2011, 09:31 PM
How many genuine leaders would you say we have in that squad ?

How many fans favourites do we have compared to previous years ? Players fans know always give 100% win, lose or draw and the fans know they genuinely give their all ?

Part of the problem we find ourselves in right now at ER - lack of bond with the team as the performances and quality has been so bad with no direction on the field from a player who can rally the team when winning or when games are close.

greenlex
25-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Out of that lot the only ones I would keep at this particular moment in time are in no particular order Hanlon Booth Osbourne Stephens and ....... Well that's about it.
This. A month on

zero-seven
25-12-2011, 09:49 PM
are you all nuts ? why keep any of them ?

get rid of them all including petrie keep "the green messi ", Griffith, maybe Stevenson..the rest ..start looking for clubs boys

pathetic waste of money the lot of them

Brooster
25-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Stephens? Ive seen ships turn quicker than him. Bin him.

GreenCastle
25-12-2011, 10:00 PM
are you all nuts ? why keep any of them ?

get rid of them all including petrie keep "the green messi ", Griffith, maybe Stevenson..the rest ..start looking for clubs boys

pathetic waste of money the lot of them

Realistically we won't get rid of all of them - although I can understand why many fans think that right now. Several players we have playing each week would be squad players.

It costs money to release players still under contract - unless bids are made for them - I can't see many teams being impressed by many of our players though.

Doyle should have been added to that list summer 2013 his contract runs out - I believe?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/12/24/hibs-new-boy-eoin-doyle-i-d-love-to-end-up-in-same-class-as-old-school-pal-anthony-stokes-86908-23657904/

Wotherspiniesta
25-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Really? I think Stephens has got great potential. He's got the odd "Bombscare" moment in him i.e his mistake up at Perth, but it's all part of a learning process.

He'll come good :agree:

R'Albin
25-12-2011, 10:14 PM

Maybe if he had a better CB partner!!

KingFranck
25-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I'd keep Booth, Spoony, Brown, Osbourne, Ivan, buy Griffiths and Stack (once he learns to command his 6 yard box that is).
Of course Doyle as well as long as he scores goals!
Forgot about Scott he should be in the starting 11 every week.

PISTOL1875
25-12-2011, 10:30 PM

Thoughts?

2012 -

Stack - bin
M.Brown - bin
M.Hart - bin
R.Towell - keep
L.Stevenson - bin
G.O'Connor - keep
J.Agogo - undecided
A.Sodje - undecided
L.Griffiths - keep

2013 -

S.O'Hanlon - sell ?
D.Stevens - undecided
D.Wotherspoon - keep
D.Galbraith -keep
M.Thornhill - keep
I.Sproule - keep
I.Osbourne - keep

2014 -

M.Scott -undecided

2015 -

Callum Booth - keep

2016 -

Paul Hanlon - keep

Players that are highlighted are the ones I would certainly keep...

PISTOL1875
25-12-2011, 10:42 PM
I'd keep Booth, Spoony, Brown, Osbourne, Ivan, buy Griffiths and Stack (once he learns to command his 6 yard box that is).
Of course Doyle as well as long as he scores goals!
Forgot about Scott he should be in the starting 11 every week.

He has been here for 18 months now and he still can't come off his line.

Northernhibee
26-12-2011, 01:02 AM
2012 -

Stack - bin
M.Brown - keep
M.Hart - bin
I.Murray - bin
R.Towell -bin
L.Stevenson - keep
V.Palsson - keep
S.Welsh - keep
G.O'Connor - bin - would rather have two interested youngsters than the Gaz we have right now.
J.Agogo - bin
A.Sodje - keep
L.Griffiths - bin

2013 -

S.O'Hanlon -bin
D.Stevens - sell
D.Wotherspoon - keep
D.Galbraith -sell
M.Thornhill - bin
I.Sproule - sell
I.Osbourne - keep

2014 -

M.Scott -keep

2015 -

Callum Booth - keep

2016 -

Paul Hanlon - sell

cad
26-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Its a month or so since Pat was put in-charge ,so far hes tried to sort it out bits here and there , but thats been knocked back with individual errors, but thats football people make mistakes , which usually results in goals against we are making a few howlers at the minute but hes working on it .

Confidence is at an all time low ,and I dont mean the players ,how to sort it ,IMO its another clear out .
I dont believe all of these players are of no use to Pat but christ theyre no making a very good case for themselves to be retained ,a maximum 9 would be my preference and a few of them are iffy .

Pat cant ditch all of them , but I bet he would like to rip it up and start again, but thats for the summer ,he has to pee with the dicks hes got ,so with that in mind I wish him all the best for the coming turmoil ,its not going to easy or pretty but if he can keep us up its a job well done ,but if the unthinkable happens nobody should be surprised ,the problem was CC and our pre season .

I dont know how many he will manage to enroll for us in the Jan window the more the merrier

M.Brown -keep , as back up
Stevenson - Keep, on effort alone squad player
S.Welsh - keep , if not this season he will be gone IMO
L.Griffiths - keep
D.Stevens - undecided, not as good as I once thought ??
D.Wotherspoon - keep ,this guy looks knackered to me and has done for a season or 2 ,that aside should come good .
I.Osbourne -keep
Callum Booth - keep
Paul Hanlon - keep ,

I would also keep Ian Murray at some capacity at Hibs

Bishop Hibee
26-12-2011, 08:53 AM
The only player in the starting XI who might have got in the Hearts starting X1 on Christmas Eve was Griffiths. That says it all really. This squad will take us down unless we bring in 4-5 more players in the transfer window.

Mass clear out in the summer whether we stay up or go down.

steakbake
26-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Any of them are welcome to go and to a man, are completely replaceable.

Sergeant Hibs
26-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Ozzy,Spoony,Goc,Lewie,Hanlon,Ivan and only Ozzy and Goc to be 1st team players
I'm afraid its looking grim

WhileTheChief..
26-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Keep Brown, Booth, Griffiths and O'Doyle - the rest can leave.

No way I would keep Murray anywhere near the club. He is meant to be our inspirational leader and yet for the last 2 years he seams to think that things have been ok. How many good games has he had for us since his return? If he wasn't 'one of us' folk would have been screaming for his head ages ago.

Same can be said of Sproule and O'Connor. It's the experienced players that are screwing us up. Not one of them steps up to the mark or takes the game by the scruff of the neck.

Hanlon, Wotherspoon and Galbraith need to wake up and decide if they want to be professional players. They will never get a bigger club than Hibs and need to realise that this is the best they will have unless they knuckle down and work hard. Deep down I just don't think they are good enough but they are young and I guess they deserve a chance from the bench at best.

There have been plenty posts suggesting that the players just need some help and are not playing to their potential. I just don't buy this. We have mediocre players at best and if we think that by bringing in 1 or 2 replacements in January we will be ok then we are sadly mistaken.

We need 5 or 6 in this window then another new team in the summer. I think the board and STF will finally have realised this and think that the money will be there to make the changes. Will STF really want to be the only owner to oversee 2 relegations?