PDA

View Full Version : Will You Support Team GB in the Olympics?

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Not for me, they can GTF, and the cynical fascist social engineering propaganda-loving government behind them. Hope they get humped every game and they can stick their Union Jack up their RSPCA.

Eyrie
26-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Football has a proper World Cup so it shouldn't be an Olympic sport in the first place.

One Day Soon
26-11-2011, 03:15 PM
I hope team GB win it triumphantly and I especially hope there is a either a Scottish player or a player plying his trade with a Scottish team somehow in there to score the winning goal in the final.

Septimus
26-11-2011, 03:18 PM
I will do everything I possibly can to avoid seeing any of the olympic events.

Holmesdale Hibs
26-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Football has a proper World Cup so it shouldn't be an Olympic sport in the first place.

:agree: The olympics should let the smaller sports get their 5 minutes of fame. The football community don't take it seriously and most managers probably see it as an inconvenience for their players. Football has enough good competitions.

I voted don't care

Hainan Hibs
26-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Anyone but Team GB, and I hope any Scotland player who decides to play is outcast from the Scottish national team.

Pearce as "GB" manager and standing to God Save the Queen? Should be a criminal offence for a Scottish player.

--------
26-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Anyone but Team GB, and I hope any Scotland player who decides to play is outcast from the Scottish national team.

Pearce as "GB" manager and standing to God Save the Queen? Should be a criminal offence for a Scottish player.

My thoughts exactly. :agree:

Posh Swanny
26-11-2011, 03:34 PM
All aboard the bitter bus!

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Yes of course why not, I will support everything GB at the Olympics. Typical response from the numptys on here regarding national anthem, union jack blah,blah, blah get a F***** grip you sound like some of the old firm idiots with your prejudice!!!!!

CropleyWasGod
26-11-2011, 04:22 PM

On that basis, there would be no Athletics, Swimming, Cycling..... etc etc..

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes of course why not, I will support everything GB at the Olympics. Typical response from the numptys on here regarding national anthem, union jack blah,blah, blah get a F***** grip you sound like some of the old firm idiots with your predujice!!!!!!

C'mon SH, no need to get personal - that's beneath you. The game, as they say, is all about opinions.

Bishop Hibee
26-11-2011, 04:26 PM
All aboard the bitter bus!

Bitter unionists :confused: Blater and co would unite the 'home nations' and scrap their 4 places on the International Committee and automatic right to the Vice-Chair of FIFA if they could. Team GB adds more ammunition to their cause.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 04:28 PM
C'mon SH, no need to get personal - that's beneath you. The game, as they say, is all about opinions.

Come on Bob be reasonable I didn't actually come out and name you :greengrin

Saorsa
26-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Yes of course why not, I will support everything GB at the Olympics. Typical response from the numptys on here regarding national anthem, union jack blah,blah, blah get a F***** grip you sound like some of the old firm idiots with your predujice!!!!!!Bully for you

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Bully for you

Thank you, I'm so glad you approve :rolleyes:

Posh Swanny
26-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Blatter and co are all about ££££ and England and Scotland provide lots of it.

Aside from the financial side of it, the board room stuff may well be true (big deal) and I'm sure NI and Wales are an annoyance, but they'll never amalgamate the two nations that brought football to the world. As well as being a massive political own goal, the fallout from this end will be like nothing FIFA has ever seen before. Think how Scotland would feel about it and then multiply it by a lot when the England football hype machine revs itself into the red zone!

.Sean.
26-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Who cares, the Olympics are shight.

Broken Gnome
26-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Not up for randomly feigning enthusiasm for an invented team full of players I couldn't give a monkeys about.

The SFA are covering their own backs with the endangered independence line I reckon, to counter any accusations of xenophobia or whatever. We're never going to lose our national side. Despite that, even beyond anti-Englishness or whatever, it's all very fake. Couldn't give a toss whether they win or not.

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Its football in the summer, a no brainer for me. I will watch it probably, but wont really care who wins. Argentina and Brazil take this seriously i think, Messi played in the last olympics. For that alone i will watch.

JE89
26-11-2011, 04:49 PM

It is the British national anthem. What else would they stand to?

Andy74
26-11-2011, 04:50 PM
The problem is that the English don't see the difference between English and British. England using the Union Flag and National Anthem amongst other things are examples.

That makes it naturally quite difficult for the other GB nations to get behind anything British as it generally just equates to English.

Specifically the GB football team is going to be very English dominated with the odd token addition and maybe Gareth Bale there on merit.

Not really something that is going to unite the GB public in support is it?

One Day Soon
26-11-2011, 04:51 PM

That's the spirit. Perhaps any Scottish rugby player turning out for the British Lions should be lynched too?

Why don't we impeach Sir Alex and Dalglish for managing in England while we're at it.

And since they are both Scottish and British why should your narrow view of what these Scottish players are allowed to do prevail? Its a particularly odd position to take when you consider just how 'Scottish' many of the players we field in the Scotland side really are.

Eyrie
26-11-2011, 04:53 PM
On that basis, there would be no Athletics, Swimming, Cycling..... etc etc..
Thoes sports have all been part of the Olympics for many years and involve the best athletes. Football wasn't involved for a long time, is restricted to U23s and has the World Cup as its premium event.

Bitter unionists :confused: Blater and co would unite the 'home nations' and scrap their 4 places on the International Committee and automatic right to the Vice-Chair of FIFA if they could. Team GB adds more ammunition to their cause.
Don't see why the home nations should have four places and a vice-chair of their own.

I'd be surprised though if they did away with the four separate teams given that more countries = more fixtures = more money. Not as if any of Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland are going to qualify for finals so they aren't a threat to other countries.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 04:54 PM
The problem is that the English don't see the difference between English and British. England using the Union Flag and National Anthem amongst other things are examples.

That makes it naturally quite difficult for the other GB nations to get behind anything British as it generally just equates to English.

Specifically the GB football team is going to be very English dominated with the odd token addition and maybe Gareth Bale there on merit.

What a one sided blinkered predictable take on team GB that is!!! Oh dear will things ever change?

Pretty Boy
26-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Who cares, the Olympics are shight.

Sums it up for me really.

The only sport I watch is the boxing to try and spot a future pro star. The football at the Olympics doesn't really interest me although Argentina always tend to be decent.

I wouldn't watch athletics, rowing, archery, fencing etc etc any other time so I'm not going to become a massive fan for a couple of weeks every 4 years.

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Come on Bob be reasonable I didn't actually come out and name you :greengrin

I'm so hurt that I'm going to play my music especially loud tonight so you can hear it from Merchiston and it keeps you awake. And if my Jambo next door neighbour is inconvenienced by that, then it's unfortunate, but it's just collateral damage and the price I'm willing to pay.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Thoes sports have all been part of the Olympics for many years and involve the best athletes. Football wasn't involved for a long time, is restricted to U23s and has the World Cup as its premium event.

Don't see why the home nations should have four places and a vice-chair of their own.

I'd be surprised though if they did away with the four separate teams given that more countries = more fixtures = more money. Not as if any of Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland are going to qualify for finals so they aren't a threat to other countries.

Football is hardly new to the Olympics!

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm so hurt that I'm going to play my music especially loud tonight so you can hear it from Merchiston and it keeps you awake. And if my Jambo next door neighbour is inconvenienced by that, then it's unfortunate, but it's just collateral damage and the price I'm willing to pay.

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
26-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I'll support them.

There's no reason not to.

SteveHFC
26-11-2011, 05:01 PM
I will not support them. I'm Scottish not British.

I hope they get beat every game they play,

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 05:04 PM

:faf:

DarrenSQH
26-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I hope they get pumped in every game.

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2011, 05:12 PM
I know the Olympiad ideal of amateur sports based on corinthian values has long gone, but I really find it distasteful having a bunch of spoiled millionaires all hot to play in this sham tournament because they want to add an Olympic medal to their collection of silverware. Having football in this feels like giving reality TV 'stars' a gold star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

And I can see the smug faces of Blair and Cameron and other right-wing unionist politicians milking it for all its worth.

Shades of Hilter in '36, if you ask me.

Posh Swanny
26-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Football is hardly new to the Olympics!

Indeed. Olympic football predates the world cup by 30 years and has only been omitted twice - the first one in 1896 and again in the US in 1932 when they wanted to promote American Football.

Tricla
26-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Yes of course why not, I will support everything GB at the Olympics. Typical response from the numptys on here regarding national anthem, union jack blah,blah, blah get a F***** grip you sound like some of the old firm idiots with your prejudice!!!!!

With your theory in mind, would you be for a conjoined Hibs/Hearts team at club level?

I am Scottish, not British or English and believe we should be doing all we can to stop our national football identity from being corroded by this olympic p*sh.

Who gives a toss about the olympics anyway.

It's a lot of crap that football has no place at IMO.

It's for chucking things, jumping, skipping and dancing etc. All things that are complete nonsense. IMO of course.

PeeJay
26-11-2011, 05:16 PM
With your theory in mind, would you be for a conjoined Hibs/Hearts team at club level?

I am Scottish, not British ....

Never mind his theory: how can you be Scottish, but not British?:faf:

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 05:21 PM

I am Scottish, not British or English and believe we should be doing all we can to stop our national football identity from being corroded by this olympic p*sh.

Who gives a toss about the olympics anyway.

It's a lot of crap that football has no place at IMO.

It's for chucking things, jumping, skipping and dancing etc. All things that are complete nonsense. IMO of course.

You're a British National whether you like it or not. Hibs/Hearts combined team............yes no problem!

Tricla
26-11-2011, 05:30 PM

You're a British National whether you like it or not. Hibs/Hearts combined team............yes no problem!

Aw stop being pedantic.

You know what I mean.

Scouse Hibee - you'd really vouch for a joined up Hibs/Hearts team? :confused::crazy:

Tricla
26-11-2011, 05:32 PM

In how you feel perhaps?

It says I'm British on my passport but it has to so I can get about.

I see myself as Scottish.

Is that OK with you?

Hainan Hibs
26-11-2011, 05:41 PM
That's the spirit. Perhaps any Scottish rugby player turning out for the British Lions should be lynched too?

Why don't we impeach Sir Alex and Dalglish for managing in England while we're at it.

And since they are both Scottish and British why should your narrow view of what these Scottish players are allowed to do prevail? Its a particularly odd position to take when you consider just how 'Scottish' many of the players we field in the Scotland side really are.

http://www.cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/internet-fishing.jpg

PeeJay
26-11-2011, 05:43 PM
In how you feel perhaps?

It says I'm British on my passport but it has to so I can get about.

I see myself as Scottish.

Is that OK with you?

It's not really a matter of being OK with me, ist it now?
Just thought it was funny - no nastiness on my part intended.

FWIW I'll be supporting the British team, although I've lived most of my life in Germany, and they still call me Engländer, although I'm Scottish - with a British passport.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Aw stop being pedantic.

You know what I mean.

Scouse Hibee - you'd really vouch for a joined up Hibs/Hearts team? :confused::crazy:

:agree: For a one off tournament or a tournament every 4 years representing say Edinburgh against Glasgow no problem at all, it's not as if Hibs would lose their identity because of it now is it.

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2011, 06:09 PM
While i will watch, i will be willing them to lose every game. I love seeing Beckham with his bottom lip trembling. :greengrin

Tricla
26-11-2011, 06:16 PM
It's not really a matter of being OK with me, ist it now?
Just thought it was funny - no nastiness on my part intended.

FWIW I'll be supporting the British team, although I've lived most of my life in Germany, and they still call me Engländer, although I'm Scottish - with a British passport.

No offense taken.

Just thought that your use of the :faff: smiley meant you were ridiculing the fact that I feel Scottish and not British irrespective of what my passport or anyone else says.

Tricla
26-11-2011, 06:18 PM
:agree: For a one off tournament or a tournament every 4 years representing say Edinburgh against Glasgow no problem at all, it's not as if Hibs would lose their identity because of it now is it.

No for me thanks.

I can't see that one catching on TBF.

Andy74
26-11-2011, 06:19 PM
What a one sided blinkered predictable take on team GB that is!!! Oh dear will things ever change?

Perhaps your attitude to this sort of sums up why some of us have a problem being linked with being English. British/English it's all interchangeable and it's fairly easy for Emglish people to say there's no problem with that.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Perhaps your attitude to this sort of sums up why some of us have a problem being linked with being English. British/English it's all interchangeable and it's fairly easy for Emglish people to say there's no problem with that.

What a pathetic attempt...............my attitude!!!!!! Do me a favour and don't insult my intelligence.

Tricla
26-11-2011, 06:26 PM

TBF, this and the rule of Potter equals a lot of apathy for the national team.

I know I'd rather have a crap Scotsman in the team trying his heart out for his nation than some plastic saxon who is a mile of Cappellos radar.

heretoday
26-11-2011, 06:29 PM
The Olympics has for me become a monumental bore. I used to like watching it up until about the 1980s. Now you can't trust the result because all the competitors are out of their heads on drugs - yes, even the small-bore rifle shooters.

I suppose it might be fun to be caught up in the atmosphere in London during the event but since I live in Edinburgh that's not much use.

Something tells me there will be a major security problem during the Games. I dunno what but use your imagination.

Tricla
26-11-2011, 06:37 PM
:faf:

You're at it with the :faff: smiley too.

Why can a Scotsman not say he considers his nationality to be nothing other than Scottish?

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 06:37 PM
The Olympics has for me become a monumental bore. I used to like watching it up until about the 1980s. Now you can't trust the result because all the competitors are out of their heads on drugs - yes, even the small-bore rifle shooters.

I suppose it might be fun to be caught up in the atmosphere in London during the event but since I live in Edinburgh that's not much use.

Something tells me there will be a major security problem during the Games. I dunno what but use your imagination.

Special Branch are on their way to you as we speak, await the knock on the door :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2011, 06:38 PM

If that was the case, that sport could get very interesting. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Why can a Scotsman not say he considers his nationality to be nothing other than Scottish?

He can "considers" makes all the difference to the statement!

basehibby
26-11-2011, 06:42 PM
I put "don't care" and I really don't. Football is superfluous to the Olympics in the modern age as the WC is the main bauble - same with sports like tennis. The Olympics should be the pinnacle for any participant - if it's not it shouldn't be in there IMO - simple as that.

AS for team GB - if they wanted to create some real interest running up to the event they should have run an U-23 home internationals with the winner qualifying to represent GB IMO. That way I think there would have been a much stronger argument against those in FIFA seeking to deny us our independant status.

Nuitdelune
26-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Well I like the Olympics and will support all Team GB especially those Scottish people in it

Tricla
26-11-2011, 06:56 PM
He can "considers" makes all the difference to the statement!

I don't get your point.

I said I consider myself Scottish, as do millions more, despite what you, a passport or any governing body might say.

No need for you to ridicule that with a :faf: just because we don't recognise ourselves as British.

Besides, the olympics is a cloud of fud which I don't give two hoots about. Especially the football competition.

I hope team GB get humped.

Andy74
26-11-2011, 07:03 PM
What a pathetic attempt...............my attitude!!!!!! Do me a favour and don't insult my intelligence.

Your opening post on this referred to us as numpties, idiots and prejudiced. I'm quite happy to insult your intelligence.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 07:07 PM
I don't get your point.

I said I consider myself Scottish, as do millions more, despite what you, a passport or any governing body might say.

No need for you to ridicule that with a :faf: just because we don't recognise ourselves as British.

Besides, the olympics is a cloud of fud which I don't give two hoots about. Especially the football competition.

I hope team GB get humped.

Whoa steady tiger! You said I am Scottish not British when I first responded, you never used the word "considered" or I would never have replied as I did. Not trying to ridicule you at all so apologies if it came across that way.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Your opening post on this referred to us as numpties, idiots and prejudiced. I'm quite happy to insult your intelligence.

Yeah yeah another nice attempt :rolleyes:

ancient hibee
26-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Plenty of Scots have played for Britain at the olympics in past tournaments.

Presumably in view of the number of non Scots who play for Scotland's national team nobody should have an objection to one labelled GB.

sahib
26-11-2011, 07:25 PM

I think you may be mistaken there. I'm Scottish not English would be correct but I believe we are all, currently, British.

NAE NOOKIE
26-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Not a chance I would support a GB football team. It is just the chance the African, Asian and South American governing bodies are looking for to force the UK to field a joint team in the world cup.

The only sport I wont watch in the Olympics is Football. Its the only time I will watch sports I couldnt care less about, swimming, diving, badminton, handball etc etc etc. Purely because for the participants it is often the realisation of a lifelong dream to win an Olympic medal and for that reason makes every sport in the games compelling. These guys would swap a hatfull of world championship wins or world records in their sports for an Olympic gold.

The next bit is in capitals because it is something which drives me crazy !!!!!!

I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE ..................... FKNG HAAAAAAATE !!!!! IT WHEN YOU HEAR PEOPLE FROM OTHER COUNTRIES SAY ENGLAND WHEN THEY MEAN BRITAIN OR THE U.K.

THE MOST ANNOYING PART IS THAT NOBODY ON T.V. ESPECIALLY THE BBC, ITV AND SKY EVER CORRECTS SOMEONE WHO DOES IT. ENGLISH PEOPLE WITHOUT EXEPTION TALK ABOUT ENGLAND, NEVER BRITAIN OR THE U.K. EVEN WHEN IN THE CONTEXT OF WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT THEY SHOULD.

EXAMPLES:

ENGLAND, THIS SCEPTERED ISLE ..... SINCE WHEN WAS ENGLAND EVER A BLOODY ISLAND ?

A LIBYAN FREEDOM FIGHTER ON T.V. RECENTLY ... " THANKS TO THE ENGLISH FOR HELPING US WIN THE WAR"

WW2, WHEN ENGLAND STOOD ALONE .... OH BLOODY REALLY ? TELL THAT TO MY UNCLE ALBERT FROM EDINBURGH.. KILLED IN ITALY.

A EUROPEAN POLITICIAN ON T.V. RECENTLY WHO "WONDERED IF ENGLAND REALLY WANTS TO BE PART OF THE E.U."

ANY SINGER FROM THE U.S.A. WHO CANT WAIT TO TOUR ENGLAND, PART OF WHICH OF COURSE WILL INCLUDE DATES IN WALES, SCOTLAND AND IRELAND.

THE LIST IS BLOODY ENDLESS.

I have nothing against England, or the English. And I hate people who think hating the English makes you more Scottish. But anything which takes away from Scotland as a country I'm against and a G.B. football team is a prime example.

Rant over.

broonie27
26-11-2011, 07:35 PM

My thoughts exactly. :agree:

It's opinions like these that make me feel so glad to no longer live in Scotland. Parochial doesn't even begin to describe it!

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 07:37 PM
It's opinions like these that make me feel so glad to no longer live in Scotland. Parochial doesn't even begin to describe it!

:top marks

Andy74
26-11-2011, 07:40 PM

Whilst the English are famed for their love of fellow EU members and neighbours like France and Germany.

Jog on with patronising put downs!

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Whilst the English are famed for their love of fellow EU members and neighbours like France and Germany.

Jog on with patronising put downs!

We love Scotland though! :greengrin

Tricla
26-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Whoa steady tiger! You said I am Scottish not British when I first responded, you never used the word "considered" or I would never have replied as I did. Not trying to ridicule you at all so apologies if it came across that way.

I am because I consider it that way.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I am because I consider it that way.

Not gonna go on, I explained why I said what I did and apologised if you thought I was ridiculing you, take it or leave it!

Tricla
26-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Not a chance I would support a GB football team. It is just the chance the African, Asian and South American governing bodies are looking for to force the UK to field a joint team in the world cup.

The only sport I wont watch in the Olympics is Football. Its the only time I will watch sports I couldnt care less about, swimming, diving, badminton, handball etc etc etc. Purely because for the participants it is often the realisation of a lifelong dream to win an Olympic medal and for that reason makes every sport in the games compelling. These guys would swap a hatfull of world championship wins or world records in their sports for an Olympic gold.

The next bit is in capitals because it is something which drives me crazy !!!!!!

I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE ..................... FKNG HAAAAAAATE !!!!! IT WHEN YOU HEAR PEOPLE FROM OTHER COUNTRIES SAY ENGLAND WHEN THEY MEAN BRITAIN OR THE U.K.

THE MOST ANNOYING PART IS THAT NOBODY ON T.V. ESPECIALLY THE BBC, ITV AND SKY EVER CORRECTS SOMEONE WHO DOES IT. ENGLISH PEOPLE WITHOUT EXEPTION TALK ABOUT ENGLAND, NEVER BRITAIN OR THE U.K. EVEN WHEN IN THE CONTEXT OF WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT THEY SHOULD.

EXAMPLES:

ENGLAND, THIS SCEPTERED ISLE ..... SINCE WHEN WAS ENGLAND EVER A BLOODY ISLAND ?

A LIBYAN FREEDOM FIGHTER ON T.V. RECENTLY ... " THANKS TO THE ENGLISH FOR HELPING US WIN THE WAR"

WW2, WHEN ENGLAND STOOD ALONE .... OH BLOODY REALLY ? TELL THAT TO MY UNCLE ALBERT FROM EDINBURGH.. KILLED IN ITALY.

A EUROPEAN POLITICIAN ON T.V. RECENTLY WHO "WONDERED IF ENGLAND REALLY WANTS TO BE PART OF THE E.U."

ANY SINGER FROM THE U.S.A. WHO CANT WAIT TO TOUR ENGLAND, PART OF WHICH OF COURSE WILL INCLUDE DATES IN WALES, SCOTLAND AND IRELAND.

I have nothing against England, or the English. And I hate people who think hating the English makes you more Scottish. But anything which takes away from Scotland as a country I'm against and a G.B. football team is a prime example.

Rant over.

Nail, head.

PeeJay
26-11-2011, 07:59 PM
No offense taken.

Just thought that your use of the :faff: smiley meant you were ridiculing the fact that I feel Scottish and not British irrespective of what my passport or anyone else says.

Wouldn't want to push this one too far, but I wasn't laughing at you "feeling" Scottish rather than British, I can understand that, but that's not what you wrote, whether you like it or not you are British (sneak a wee look at your passport).
Now, if you think that's bad, I've more bad news: you're also European!:greengrin

Tricla
26-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Not gonna go on, I explained why I said what I did and apologised if you thought I was ridiculing you, take it or leave it!

You were being pedantic.

'Being British' only creeps in passport wise.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 08:06 PM
You were being pedantic.

'Being British' only creeps in passport wise.

No I was not but you are being Pedantic right now......................I wonder why? I responded for the same reason as Peejay stated hmmmm

PeeJay
26-11-2011, 08:13 PM

EXAMPLES:

Rant over.

Your post resonates with me in a few ways, - I've lived in Germany so long, but they still call me English and the country I hail from England, irrespective of how often I say I'm Scottish!

However, just out of interest, are you aware of the many Brits/Scots/Irish/Welsh and English who speak of Europe as if - you know - the UK isn't in it: Like all the UK politicians who speak of rules and regulations coming from Europe, or people going over to Europe - the list is almost endless, my German friends always ask me why the UK always (almost) refers to Europe as if Britain is not in it - is that different, or the same?:confused:

Sir David Gray
26-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I always support all British athletes at the Olympics and Paralympics and that won't change with the British football team next year. The Scots, the Welsh and the Northern Irish have been given assurances that their footballing independence will not be compromised by endorsing Team GB at the Olympics and I honestly do not see that changing. We, in Scotland, have a team that competed in the very first international football match, dating back more than 100 years ago and I don't believe that the Scottish team will be abolished just because we allow our players to be selected for a British side at one tournament.

To be honest, I can understand why a lot of nations are unhappy that Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland are independent nations at football. There aren't too many international football teams out there that don't represent a sovereign nation.

Football shouldn't be a part of the Olympics, but that's a whole different argument entirely. The fact is, it is part of the Olympics and I hope the British team does well. They're not representing England, if they were then I would hope that they get stuffed, they are representing the UK and I don't see any reason not to support all our athletes in London next year.

Tricla
26-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Wouldn't want to push this one too far, but I wasn't laughing at you "feeling" Scottish rather than British, I can understand that, but that's not what you wrote, whether you like it or not you are British (sneak a wee look at your passport).
Now, if you think that's bad, I've more bad news: you're also European!:greengrin

I live in Edinburgh, the Capital of SCOTLAND.
I have a SCOTTISH accent.
I work in Edinburgh, in SCOTLAND.
I have a SCOTTISH name.
I support Hibs in the SCOTTISH Premier league.
I support SCOTLAND at anything they try their hand at.
I love Haggis, the national dish of SCOTLAND.
I like drinking, the national pastime of SCOTLAND.
I get annoyed at being referred to as British, like many more people in SCOTLAND.
I like to holiday in the Highlands of SCOTLAND which is the most beautiful place in the world.
I love wearing a kilt, the national dress of SCOTLAND.
Irn Bru, SCOTLAND'S national soft drink, is my favourite hangover cure.
I love to play golf, a sport first played in SCOTLAND.
I get annoyed when people say the UK or Britain (or vice versa) when they mean England.
I hate it when the weather people on the telly give you a break down of the weather in the North, South, East and West of England and then go on to say, 'And the forecast in SCOTLAND is......!'
I know all the words to Flower of SCOTLAND.
I like thistles, the national flower of SCOTLAND.
I don't like roses. :devil:
I like my Mars bar deep fried.

My passport says British on it!

Whether you like it or not, I'm Scottish. :wink:

Tricla
26-11-2011, 08:39 PM
No I was not but you are being Pedantic right now......................I wonder why? I responded for the same reason as Peejay stated hmmmm

Because he is being pedantic too? :dunno:

Look guys, you say that Scottish people are British 'whether they like it or not' and seem to think it's laughable if any Scotsman thinks the opposite.

I disagree. I don't believe your identity, national or other, is governed by piece of paper that you have to pay for and the meaning of which is decided by a tosspot in a suit.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Nope, no thanks.

I'll support all the British athletes in all the other events as I always have, but not football.

I'd like us to preserve our independance within FIFA thank you very much.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-11-2011, 08:43 PM

I doubt it's your intelligence he has an issue with, probably more your arrogance.

The majority on here would like to keep our footballing independence and if you don't like it you can do one.

Gettin' Auld
26-11-2011, 08:50 PM

EXAMPLES:

Rant over.

PeeJay
26-11-2011, 08:50 PM
I live in Edinburgh, the Capital of SCOTLAND.
I have a SCOTTISH accent.
I work in Edinburgh, in SCOTLAND.
I have a SCOTTISH name.
I support Hibs in the SCOTTISH Premier league.
I support SCOTLAND at anything they try their hand at.
I love Haggis, the national dish of SCOTLAND.
I like drinking, the national pastime of SCOTLAND.
I get annoyed at being referred to as British, like many more people in SCOTLAND.
I like to holiday in the Highlands of SCOTLAND which is the most beautiful place in the world.
I love wearing a kilt, the national dress of SCOTLAND.
Irn Bru, SCOTLAND'S national soft drink, is my favourite hangover cure.
I love to play golf, a sport first played in SCOTLAND.
I get annoyed when people say the UK or Britain (or vice versa) when they mean England.
I hate it when the weather people on the telly give you a break down of the weather in the North, South, East and West of England and then go on to say, 'And the forecast in SCOTLAND is......!'
I know all the words to Flower of SCOTLAND.
I like thistles, the national flower of SCOTLAND.
I don't like roses. :devil:
I like my Mars bar deep fried.

My passport says British on it!

I'm not denying you're Scottish one little bit - I'm pointing out the fact that you cannot deny you are British - the Bavarians over here say they're Bavarian (FIRST) then German, guess it's the same principle - they're still German though. Just like ... OK, I won't go on.

Please tell me you don't really like deep fried Mars bars!:shocked:

BTW: as to being pedantic, I live in Germany what do you expect!:greengrin

brydekirk
26-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Not for me, they can GTF, and the cynical fascist social engineering propaganda-loving government behind them. Hope they get humped every game and they can stick their Union Jack up their RSPCA. Could'nt have said it better.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 08:53 PM
I doubt it's your intelligence he has an issue with, probably more your arrogance.

The majority on here would like to keep our footballing independence and if you don't like it you can do one.

:kettle:Got nothing to do with keeping your footballing independance now jog along.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-11-2011, 08:58 PM
:kettle:Got nothing to do with keeping your footballing independance now jog along.

Is that right? Enlighten me.

Tricla
26-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Please tell me you don't really like deep fried Mars bars!:shocked:

Never tried one TBH but being a hairy faced Scotsman I believe I'd adore them! :devil:

BTW: as to being pedantic, I live in Germany what do you expect!:greengrin

Fair point! :greengrin

ronaldo7
26-11-2011, 09:01 PM

Cheers for movin...One less vote to deal with:aok:

Tricla
26-11-2011, 09:02 PM

I think it does TBF.

Mind you, with the most probable lack of Celts in the team I can't see it being too much of a problem on the face of things.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I live in Edinburgh, the Capital of SCOTLAND. SO DO I
I have a SCOTTISH accent. SOME SAY I DO!
I work in Edinburgh, in SCOTLAND. SO DO I
I have a SCOTTISH name. SO DO I
I support Hibs in the SCOTTISH Premier league. SO DO I
I support SCOTLAND at anything they try their hand at. SO DO I EXCEPT AGAINST ENGLAND
I love Haggis, the national dish of SCOTLAND. LIKEWISE
I like drinking, the national pastime of SCOTLAND. SO DO I
I get annoyed at being referred to as British, like many more people in SCOTLAND. PASS
I like to holiday in the Highlands of SCOTLAND which is the most beautiful place in the world. AGREE
I love wearing a kilt, the national dress of SCOTLAND. PASS
Irn Bru, SCOTLAND'S national soft drink, is my favourite hangover cure. MINE AS WELL
I love to play golf, a sport first played in SCOTLAND. SO DO I
I get annoyed when people say the UK or Britain (or vice versa) when they mean England. SO DO I
I hate it when the weather people on the telly give you a break down of the weather in the North, South, East and West of England and then go on to say, 'And the forecast in SCOTLAND is......!'AGREE
I know all the words to Flower of SCOTLAND.SO DO I
I like thistles, the national flower of SCOTLAND. SO DO I
I don't like roses. :devil: THE CHOCOLATES ARE OKAY
I like my Mars bar deep fried. NOT TRIED ONE

My passport says British on it! SO DOES MINE

NOT BAD FOR AN ENGLISHMAN EH :greengrin

lyonhibs
26-11-2011, 09:06 PM

You're both - FACT (as they say)

I'll be supporting them if I happen to watch any of their games. Not particularly fussed either way to be honest.

ronaldo7
26-11-2011, 09:12 PM
NOT BAD FOR AN ENGLISHMAN EH :greengrin

But ye passed on mair than one so yer teas oot ya Ingulish fud:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2011, 09:22 PM
But ye passed on mair than one so yer teas oot ya Ingulish fud:greengrin

:greengrin That kilt one done me! Each to their own but just have never been able to get my head around wearing one,not that I don't like them it's just that I think Kilts are for Scotsmen and not Englishmen and think English folk have no right to wear them! Anyhow I prefer my morris dancing outfit :faf:.

Went to a wedding in Manchester recently, no Scottish connection and yet the groom and best man wore kilts WTF!

pandahfc
26-11-2011, 10:02 PM
no way

ronaldo7
26-11-2011, 10:02 PM
:greengrin That kilt one done me! Each to their own but just have never been able to get my head around wearing one,not that I don't like them it's just that I think Kilts are for Scotsmen and not Englishmen and think English folk have no right to wear them! Anyhow I prefer my morris dancing outfit :faf:.

Went to a wedding in Manchester recently, no Scottish connection and yet the groom and best man wore kilts WTF!

:greengrinI think I'll leave you wi yer hankies, sticks, tassles, an baubles:aok:

The Harp Awakes
26-11-2011, 10:20 PM
I have a Briitsh passport but that's where it starts and ends for me. I don't know what being British means.

I long for the day Scotland is independent and we can compete in the Olympic Games in our own right. Seeing the Saltire and hearing Flower of Scotland on a World stage would be a sight to behold:not worth

BoltonHibee
26-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Football has no place in the Olympics.

Team GB, aye right. Shove right up your *****!

Scotland Forever!

One Day Soon
26-11-2011, 11:23 PM
I know the Olympiad ideal of amateur sports based on corinthian values has long gone, but I really find it distasteful having a bunch of spoiled millionaires all hot to play in this sham tournament because they want to add an Olympic medal to their collection of silverware. Having football in this feels like giving reality TV 'stars' a gold star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

And I can see the smug faces of Blair and Cameron and other right-wing unionist politicians milking it for all its worth.

Shades of Hilter in '36, if you ask me.

A bit too much sherbet today Bob?

Dashing Bob S
26-11-2011, 11:25 PM
A bit too much sherbet today Bob?

Jagermeister.

One Day Soon
26-11-2011, 11:28 PM
http://www.cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/internet-fishing.jpg

That's mature. Entirely in keeping with the way your chums are refusing to answer any of the questions about independence too. But then that's what posts like yours on this subject are all about isn't it, stir up friction that doesn't really exist about the UK and then run away?

One Day Soon
26-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Jagermeister.

It could be worse. If you'd been on the absinthe you might by now be claiming to hear the sound of jackboots in the hall.

Dashing Bob S
27-11-2011, 01:02 AM
It could be worse. If you'd been on the absinthe you might by now be claiming to hear the sound of jackboots in the hall.

A Messerschmitt just flew past my window. I blame the Stella-Highland Park fusion.

Whoops...thankfully, my Jambo neighbor just shot it down.

Once again they save the day. Yes, we will miss them.

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2011, 01:04 AM
A Messerschmitt just flew past my window. I blame the Stella-Highland Park fusion.

Whoops...thankfully, my Jambo neighbor just shot it down.

Once again they save the day. Yes, we will miss them.

Jambo neighbour says turn the ****in music down!

Bristolhibby
27-11-2011, 01:38 AM
I will support the teams in everything except football.

J

Haymaker
27-11-2011, 01:43 AM

100%.

Scottish, not British.

AFKA5814_Hibs
27-11-2011, 01:51 AM
I have no support of anything which is British other than Scottish. :agree:

Harpandcastle
27-11-2011, 01:59 AM
While i will watch, i will be willing them to lose every game. I love seeing Beckham with his bottom trembling. :greengrin
:Ummm:

SteveHFC
27-11-2011, 02:02 AM

Scotland Forever!

:agree::top marks

AFKA5814_Hibs
27-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Scottish no UK. :agree:

AFKA5814_Hibs
27-11-2011, 02:07 AM
I have no support of anything which is British other than Scottish. :agree:

C'mon the Scots.

Silversand
27-11-2011, 02:22 AM
Jambo neighbour says turn the ****in music down!

At what point does parochial kick in?

You think that Scotlands 5million are being parochial in not wanting to be part of the UK.

Do you feel that the 50million UK citizens are being "parochial" in not wanting to be part of Europe?

HKhibby
27-11-2011, 02:54 AM

So the next time you are abroad, if you can go anywhere or even know where your airport is!, dont go running to the British Consulate/Embassy if you ever get into any trouble! if your not British!, im sure they would welcome saving the time money and hasle, from some bitter and twisted and old firm sounding weegie Scot!!......and people have the cheek to call the English...little Englanders!!....Little Scottish and Little Scotland springs moreso to mind!!!!

HKhibby
27-11-2011, 03:00 AM

Totally agree mate! your the first sensible one ive read on here yet!, and they have the cheek to go on about the old firm! its almost on the verge of what clap-trap that these idiots in Glasgow spout every opportunity they can get, isupport you mate and will shout for team GB and couldnt care who is in charge of them, after all its only for one competition!,

HKhibby
27-11-2011, 03:14 AM

Utter crap, i lived and worked in London and the South East for most of my adult life, as well as abroad, and you cant move for English flags, yes the St Georges cross! everywhere when England play, not just football, Rugby etc.., so i think they know the difference between England and the U.K., the one difference is between them and most of the Scots is, they will mostly always say yes im from England etc..., im English etc.., but they also recognise they are British as well, and have no hesitation in saying they are British, or when abroad,will talk about the U.K. in conversation etc.., and thats just the ones i know, and believe me i know alot of English people, my best mate is English from the East End of London, and you would expect someone like him to say England not UK, but he doesnt!

HKhibby
27-11-2011, 03:25 AM

Couldnt agree more with you mate!, i will behind team GB all the way, even from afar that i am! im so glad to say i dont live in the U.K. when you here this rubbish spouted every opportunity they can get!, i for one am definatly Scottish, and yes very much British too!...maybe those anti-British lot would prefer to be part of a European team!, because thats what some would love from that continent!...see what happens when that all falls apart!!

HKhibby
27-11-2011, 03:29 AM

How narrow-minded! etc..., but quick enough to take money from other parts of the UK!!, oh poor hard done by Scotland!!

Haymaker
27-11-2011, 03:38 AM
I was born in England and have spent my life in England. My mother and father were born in Scotland - my older brother aswell - my grandparents on both sides were born and raised in Scotland and my father (Surreyhibbie if you wish to contact him) has our family tree researched going hundreds of years back. I was brought up Scottish, I will die a Scotsman. Does this make me British? No.

I am Scottish.

My Family is Scottish. Most of us on here are Scottish.

HKHibby, **** off.

This WILL put our football independence on the line, even though we hurdle towards breaking the Union. FIFA and UEFA do not care about this, they simply do no want us running the game, which we currently do (IIRC 4 out of the 7 nations on the rules council have to be the home nations, which by the way formed the game as it is today).

I dont want a Team GB in football at the Olympics and I dont want a team GB in any sport.

Scottish until I die.

Hainan Hibs
27-11-2011, 05:18 AM
So the next time you are abroad, if you can go anywhere or even know where your airport is!, dont go running to the British Consulate/Embassy if you ever get into any trouble! if your not British!, im sure they would welcome saving the time money and hasle, from some bitter and twisted and old firm sounding weegie Scot!!......and people have the cheek to call the English...little Englanders!!....Little Scottish and Little Scotland springs moreso to mind!!!!

Best one yet :faf:

Tricla
27-11-2011, 05:46 AM
How narrow-minded! etc..., but quick enough to take money from other parts of the UK!!, oh poor hard done by Scotland!!

Stop putting your name in the body of every post! What a totally Yammish/Ingurlish fud type thing to do!

Lucius Apuleius
27-11-2011, 08:37 AM
No I will not. Nothing to do with the perceived ‘anti-english, anti-British’. I do strongly believe that Blatter and his cronies, especially now, have it in for the English FA. How he deals with that remains to be seen. One way would be to ensure that the British teams are amalgamated. This would obviously cause a huge rift in UEFA and FIFA but I can see it happen. To give him ammunition for that is in my opinion suicidal in a footballing sense for Scotland, Wales and NI. I honestly don’t think the English would even notice which shows how out of touch Blatter is with the politics of the UK. Great Britain, the British Isles, will still exist after independence. We will still be part of them even though we will be our own nation. That is inescapable obviously as we are joined together. What happens then if FIFA has created a British team?

On the Europe issue. We in Britain have always called Continental Europe Europe, because that is what it is. Nothing to do with seeing it as if we are not part of it in my opinion. Whether we should be or not is an entirely different and subjective discussion. The Europe we are part of now is certainly not the Common Market we voted to join but again, neither for this board nor thread.

I personally have always seen myself as Scottish first and foremost (and yep HK, I have spent a helluva lot longer than you travelling the world). I see nothing wrong with that at all. If that makes me a small minded, insular, little jockanese numptie, so be it. Proud of the fact.

500miles
27-11-2011, 09:09 AM
The Olympics are a farce anyway. It's not for the common man. The pricing of events are LUDICROUS, especially when you consider the little public attention the events in the 3 years between. It's for the benefit of politicians and big business.

I also consider myself Scottish, not British, as I believe that the Union was against the will of the people of Scotland AND England, and therefore invalid. Just because it has been in place for a long time, doesn't mean that isn't grounds for annulment.

Btw- Stuart Pearce as manager? Aye, unite the UK by fronting Team GB with a man famed for being an English thug and a **** manager. What does he know about the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish footballers?

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2011, 09:14 AM
The Olympics are a farce anyway. It's not for the common man. The pricing of events are LUDICROUS, especially when you consider the little public attention the events in the 3 years between. It's for the benefit of politicians and big business.

I also consider myself Scottish, not British, as I believe that the Union was against the will of the people of Scotland AND England, and therefore invalid. Just because it has been in place for a long time, doesn't mean that isn't grounds for annulment.

Btw- Stuart Pearce as manager? Aye, unite the UK by fronting Team GB with a man famed for being an English thug and a **** manager. What does he know about the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish footballers?

You've finally convinced me with that one :faf:

PeeJay
27-11-2011, 09:14 AM
The Europe we are part of now is certainly not the Common Market we voted to join but again, neither for this board nor thread.

An off topic reply,I know but I'm sure the EU has always been heading down this road - the reason De Gaulle said 'Non' all those years ago to British entry was primarily because he knew the British just wanted in for trading purposes: that has never been the sole intention of the EU - De Gaulle knew it - think you'll find that the EU has always been about greater integration of Europe. The UK has, IMO, never contributed positively to the vision of Europe (as propogated by France and Germany, for example) because it has only ever been interested in one thing: trade and - getting back as much money as possible - agree with you on wrong board and wrong thread.

By the way, if Britain's not part of Europe: why are you involved in the "European Championship" competition?:greengrin

500miles
27-11-2011, 09:22 AM
You've finally convinced me with that one :faf:

I don't need to convince you about anything. That's the most influential factor in the decision I made regarding my personal beliefs.

Your assumption that I need to justify myself to you does nothing to dispel the old stereotype of "English arrogance".

The Tubs
27-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Talking about taking money, watch this my friend:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diomhair&oq=diomhair&aq=0&aqi =g1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1521l10752l0l12149l8l8l0l3 l3l0l294l1119l0.2.3l5l0

Whatever did happen to that oil? I can't remember any of the profits being invested in schools in Wester Hailes or Easterhouse. "We" just got a massive ringroad around the colonial metropolis.

Oh, and that great British institution Thatcher got to keep thousands on the dole with it too.

Tricla
27-11-2011, 09:38 AM
I don't need to convince you about anything. That's the most influential factor in the decision I made regarding my personal beliefs.

Your assumption that I need to justify myself to you does nothing to dispel the old stereotype of "English arrogance".

This is what I have been trying to say.

The Tubs
27-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Couldnt agree more with you mate!, i will behind team GB all the way, even from afar that i am! im so glad to say i dont live in the U.K. when you here this rubbish spouted every opportunity they can get!, i for one am definatly Scottish, and yes very much British too!...maybe those anti-British lot would prefer to be part of a European team!, because thats what some would love from that continent!...see what happens when that all falls apart!!

I recently went to the British embassy to enquire about getting married to a foreigner and got treated like a terrorist. I would love it if I could go to a Scottish embassy, maybe we could share premises with the Irish to keep costs down.

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2011, 09:46 AM

Justify yourself to me!!!! Not at all, why would you need to :confused:

"The old stereotype" an apt description of things that don't really exist! And believe me, I'm far far far from being arrogant, English yes but not arrogant, the two don't automatically go together I do hope you realise that.

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I recently went to the British embassy to enquire about getting married to a foreigner and got treated like a terrorist. I would love it if I could go to a Scottish embassy, maybe we could share premises with the Irish to keep costs down.

And employ an English consul to manage the process :wink:

The Tubs
27-11-2011, 09:52 AM
And employ an English consul to manage the process :wink:

Would that be for the same reason that your fitba' team needed a Scotsman to take it from division II?:wink:

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Would that be for the same reason that your fitba' team needed a Scotsman to take it from division II?:wink:

Oh yes, and what a wonderful Scotsman he was, had a massive influence on me, so much so I married a Scottish lass, live in Scotland and have a son born and bred in Scotland! Apparently still an arrogant Englishman though :wink:

greenginger
27-11-2011, 10:04 AM
The worry for Scotland would be that FIFA might insist on one team to represent the UK in future World Cups, and although Blatter says this is not on the Agenda I would'nt trust him not to trade our 4 team set-up to get support for himself in some area of FIFA interest and Blatter won't be around for ever.

I don't think the English media have even considered the consequences of a UK Olympic Team if the UK's 4 team set-up is ended by Combination of Associations aggrieved at our special status.

It would be no more " Three Lions on the Shirt " or Wembley the Home of Football when England has to combine with Wales and Northern Ireland to form a team.

Scotland would'nt be involved as Independence would be a Shoe-in if there was a chance of loosing the National Team.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
27-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Oh yes, and what a wonderful Scotsman he was, had a massive influence on me, so much so I married a Scottish lass, live in Scotland and have a son born and bred in Scotland! Apparently still an arrogant Englishman though :wink:

Marrying a Scots girl and procrating has nothing to do with arrogance.

It's just the things you say, repeatedly, in your posts that seem to have lead a number on here to consider you arrogant. If you're gonny get all precious about it the best thing would be to stop typng stuff :dunno:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
27-11-2011, 11:11 AM
The worry for Scotland would be that FIFA might insist on one team to represent the UK in future World Cups, and although Blatter says this is not on the Agenda I would'nt trust him not to trade our 4 team set-up to get support for himself in some area of FIFA interest and Blatter won't be around for ever.

I don't think the English media have even considered the consequences of a UK Olympic Team if the UK's 4 team set-up is ended by Combination of Associations aggrieved at our special status.

It would be no more " Three Lions on the Shirt " or Wembley the Home of Football when England has to combine with Wales and Northern Ireland to form a team.

Scotland would'nt be involved as Independence would be a Shoe-in if there was a chance of loosing the National Team.

:agree: Not worth taking the chance.

Eyrie
27-11-2011, 11:12 AM
This WILL put our football independence on the line, even though we hurdle towards breaking the Union. FIFA and UEFA do not care about this, they simply do no want us running the game, which we currently do (IIRC 4 out of the 7 nations on the rules council have to be the home nations, which by the way formed the game as it is today).
I've already asked this question earlier in this thread, but why should each of the four Home Nations get a seat on the council, and why should they have an automatic Vice President? Based on what happened over a hundred years ago?

As regards merging the four teams into one, I don't see that happening. It would only strengthen England (they could add Bale) which is not in the interests of their competitors, whilst having Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland means more fixtures and thus more money.

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Marrying a Scots girl and procrating has nothing to do with arrogance.

It's just the things you say, repeatedly, in your posts that seem to have lead a number on here to consider you arrogant. If you're gonny get all precious about it the best thing would be to stop typng stuff :dunno:

Thanks for the advice very nice of you but no need really :greengrin (Hope you don't construe that as arrogance)

The day I get precious about anything typed on a forum will be the day I pack in so you're way off the mark there I'm afraid. The arrogance remark is pathetic really and is a typical "stereotype" used when dealing with English folk that dare to say it how it is! I will continue to type if that's okay and reply as I see appropriate to obvious prejudice. :thumbsup:

Tricla
27-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the advice very nice of you but no need really :greengrin (Hope you don't construe that as arrogance)

The day I get precious about anything typed on a forum will be the day I pack in so you're way off the mark there I'm afraid. The arrogance remark is pathetic really and is a typical "stereotype" used when dealing with English folk that dare to say it how it is! I will continue to type if that's okay and reply as I see appropriate to obvious prejudice as I see it. :thumbsup:

As a Scotsman, I feel it is prejudiced to refer to me as anything else. :wink:

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Cheers la..................as a scouser I thank you for pointing out my error which I have now amended.:wink:

woody47
27-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Not a chance in h£ll. In fact the whole Olympics can GTF.
The minute professional sportsmen and women starting getting involved was the minute the whole thing became a farce.
I also love the way it is being touted as the LONDON Olympics and not the UK or GB Olympics. Well they can keep the whole thing.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
27-11-2011, 01:52 PM

The day I get precious about anything typed on a forum will be the day I pack in so you're way off the mark there I'm afraid. The arrogance remark is pathetic really and is a typical "stereotype" used when dealing with English folk that dare to say it how it is! I will continue to type if that's okay and reply as I see appropriate to obvious prejudice. :thumbsup:

Fair do's. Carry on Champ :aok:

One Day Soon
27-11-2011, 05:29 PM
The minute professional sportsmen and women starting getting involved was the minute the whole thing became a farce.
I also love the way it is being touted as the LONDON Olympics and not the UK or GB Olympics. Well they can keep the whole thing.

FFS.

They have always been named and 'touted' as the Olympics of the host city throughout their history. But no, its (yet another) English/Unionist/Imperialist/EDL/Fascist conspiracy.

We sure lead the world in shoulder chips.

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2011, 06:00 PM
FFS.

They have always been named and 'touted' as the Olympics of the host city throughout their history. But no, its (yet another) English/Unionist/Imperialist/EDL/Fascist conspiracy.

:agree: Sigh!

johnrebus
27-11-2011, 06:23 PM
:agree: Sigh!

All for the London Olympics. Does anyone really think it would happen in Edinburgh?

Anyways, it's not as if there are many English people in London, so the anti English faction are pishing in the wind.

Will happily watch it all.- apart from the football, which should not be an Olympic sport - it has more than enough exposure as it is.

woody47
27-11-2011, 06:26 PM
FFS.

FFS?????

Why dont you get off your soap box.

So its paranoia when we are seen as 'English' by other sports 'stars', journalists ect. Couple of examples out of many - Andy Murray being interviewed and being called 'English' by journalists. Question of Sport recently where, to describe Sir Chris Hoy, Phil Tufnel said "cyclist - English".
So maybe you need to think before you spout.

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2011, 06:41 PM
FFS?????

Why dont you get off your soap box.

So its paranoia when we are seen as 'English' by other sports 'stars', journalists ect. Couple of examples out of many - Andy Murray being interviewed and being called 'English' by journalists. Question of Sport recently where, to describe Sir Chris Hoy, Phil Tufnel said "cyclist - English".
So maybe you need to think before you spout.

:agree: Good point I can't believe the number of Englishmen being called Scottish when they play football for Scotland, it's really annoying.

PeeJay
27-11-2011, 08:41 PM

In Germany we talk of the Berlin Olympics or the Munich Olympics - it's perfectly normal to name the city in which they are held, surely?

Hibs On Tour
27-11-2011, 10:25 PM
GB all the way. Endof.

sundo1875
27-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Why not, most people support GB at every other sport at the olympics so why not football???

R'Albin
27-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm half-Scottish half-English so I support both, but I won't be supporting team GB cause the Olympics are ***** :agree:

Leicester Fan
27-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Typical, it'll be GB when we're winning and English when we lose:rolleyes:.......:wink:

Anyway I'm hoping we make the semis at least as I've got tickets. £25 a head to the person who was complaining about the prices, I can pay more than that to watch Leicester.

smurf
27-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Yes.

FifeeHibee
27-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Misunderstood the question so replied yes. Will be supporting Team GB, but will NOT be supporting the England football team. I'm a rabid Nat but I love the Olympics and remember rooting for Coe, Cram and Ovett, Backley, Christie and Peters, Goodhew and Davies. Of course Wilkie, Wells and Hoy were the real Brit giants!

joe breezy
28-11-2011, 04:21 AM
I just hope I can get into work okay...

Might actually go on holiday to avoid it...the thing that makes the Olympics special is unusual sports getting the limelight so some pistol shooter may get a gold.

Football should back off, we get enough attention at the World Cup and Euros

Beckham should get back in his box as well, there's no need for a strong football presence at the Olympics

I would probably watch games though if I'm in the house doing nothing...I don't think I'll 'support' anyone though

If a team full of English were playing Brazil I suppose I'd 'support' Brazil just cos I'm Scottish and thats what we do, even though half my mates are English

norhfc
28-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Been losing interest for the Olympics the last few years,its all down to how much money is spent by countries.
The winter olympics are a joke,totally professional in all the major countries.Anyway,have never watched the
football and dont intend to start,especially when Beckham will hijack the team cos its in his old "manor".

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2011, 08:30 AM

Scotland Forever!

Have you given up the weekly morris dancing classes you teach in bolton on sundays?:confused:

NYHibby
28-11-2011, 09:53 AM
I think you all are mad.

USA all the way!

Nakedmanoncrack
28-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Not for me, they can GTF, and the cynical fascist social engineering propaganda-loving government behind them. Hope they get humped every game and they can stick their Union Jack up their RSPCA.

:agree:

humins
28-11-2011, 12:15 PM

bloody northern hemisphere people are always so parochialist, you are Scottish, British, European & northern Hemispherical (if thats a real geograhical term rather than just a fat bloke from Danderhall). My experience from living in the colonies for a few years means that I now find I have lots in common with other europeans even the english,(but not the west coast bigot brothers). Politically you are whatever you define yourself as/believe in, nationism is at the end of the day an expression of what you believe in & if we hadn't been subjected to thatcherism I think we would have been as happy as our 19th century ancestors to be part of great briton, however the evil bitch did happen so f*ch team GB.

Bad Martini
28-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Possibly your best ever post Boabby son, a work of literary genius even.

Team GB GTF.

ENDOF

HibeeMcGinn1
28-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Absolutely no chance. I'm Scottish and wouldn't support any of my rivals even if a player I follow and love are involved. Would you support a Hibs Hearts Rangers Celtic select? I know I wouldn't.

HibeeMcGinn1
28-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Possibly your best ever post Boabby son, a work of literary genius even.

Team GB GTF.

ENDOF

Sylar
28-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I think you all are mad.

USA all the way!

And so say all of us :greengrin

HibbyDave
28-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Are the Olympics coming up soon?............................................. .................................................. ..... No one said anything to me!

Support Team GB?

NOPE.

johnrebus
28-11-2011, 12:39 PM

The sort of ill thought out and insulting post that gives Hibs.net a bad name.

I mean, really, the RSPCA do a lot of good work, how dare you mention them in the same breath as our cynical fascist, social engineering propaganda loving Government.

Shocking........,

:fuming:

BoltonHibee
28-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Have you given up the weekly morris dancing classes you teach in bolton on sundays?:confused:

Nope, I hear that will be included in the 2016 Olympics....must keep practising:wink:

Greentinted
28-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Support a team wearing this abomination? Erm no, thanks awfully. (Its a hun's premature orgasm at best)

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/45320/14d/ig.rsys2.net/responsysimages/lndn2012/November2011/111102_email/football_banner.jpg

sKipper
28-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Support a team wearing this abomination? Erm no, thanks awfully. (Its a hun's premature orgasm at best)

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/45320/14d/ig.rsys2.net/responsysimages/lndn2012/November2011/111102_email/football_banner.jpg

Yep, not for me either.

Saorsa
28-11-2011, 01:53 PM

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/45320/14d/ig.rsys2.net/responsysimages/lndn2012/November2011/111102_email/football_banner.jpgThere'll be a cauld day in hell before I support anybody or anything representing or being represented by that.

SteveHFC
01-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Jamie Mackie wants to play for Team GB. http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3971086/Scotland-star-Jamie-Mackie-Id-love-to-play-for-Team-GB-at-the-London-2012-Olympics.html

TrickyNicky
01-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Jamie Mackie wants to play for Team GB. http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3971086/Scotland-star-Jamie-Mackie-Id-love-to-play-for-Team-GB-at-the-London-2012-Olympics.html

:bye:

English born, playing for Queens Park Rangers and Scotland, so playing for GB with an English Rangers top on ticks all the boxes, he may be the only legitimate player in the Olympic squad!

Biff Tannen
01-12-2011, 12:38 PM

Tricla, don't take the bait! Scousehibs is being a bette midler, a diddler....a !

He'll be at the olympics trying to steal peoples shoes!:na na:

SteveHFC
02-12-2011, 12:51 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3973484/SFA-fear-Jamie-Mackie-will-join-Team-GB.html

Mackie GTF :bye:

CFC
02-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Not up for randomly feigning enthusiasm for an invented team full of players I couldn't give a monkeys about.

The SFA are covering their own backs with the endangered independence line I reckon, to counter any accusations of xenophobia or whatever. We're never going to lose our national side. Despite that, even beyond anti-Englishness or whatever, it's all very fake. Couldn't give a toss whether they win or not.

Thats more or less my take on it. Im not gonna want them to lose per se but Im not gonna muster up any sort of enthusiasm to support a fake, made up team. In fact, contrived is the term I would use.

Hainan Hibs
02-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Jamie Mackie should be saying goodbye to any Scotland future.

CFC
02-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Its not as if Mackie playing for GB will compromise Scotlands footballing independence, lets be realistic here. Scotland played in the first ever International fixtures in both Football AND Rugby. That history counts for something and I just dont see FIFA attempting to change things. I really dont.

One Day Soon
02-12-2011, 10:20 AM

Why? Do you have an even remotely credible argument for making that statement?

The_Todd
02-12-2011, 02:11 PM
There's not half a load of drama queens on Hibs.net. Couldn't care less about Team GB either way. Don't want them to lose, don't care if they win and I'm not going to greet like a big Jessie if Welsh or Scottish players sign up.

And yes, the jersey looks like its going to sell well in Glasow's southside.

Dashing Bob S
02-12-2011, 02:22 PM

This assumes that there is a Scotland future to care about - I'm not so sure about that, or that it bothers him particularly.

Scouse Hibee
02-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Tricla, don't take the bait! Scousehibs is being a bette midler, a diddler....a !

He'll be at the olympics trying to steal peoples shoes!:na na:

It's Scouse Hibee if you don't mind and I only do hubcaps and car stereos!

jdships
02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
There's not half a load of drama queens on Hibs.net. Couldn't care less about Team GB either way. Don't want them to lose, don't care if they win and I'm not going to greet like a big Jessie if Welsh or Scottish players sign up.

And yes, the jersey looks like its going to sell well in Glasow's southside.

:thumbsup::agree:

sesoim
03-12-2011, 03:32 AM
A lot of English haters here - funny how that is still allowed yet just about anything remotely non-pc isn't (I hate political correctness, but this type of inconsistency annoys me).

I always support team GB in the Olympics and if there are any Scottish players involved in the football team I will (probably) support that team as well. It depends what other players are involved, because I'd find it hard to support a team with hateful people like Rio Ferdinand or Craig Bellamy playing for them.

If I was a player I'd definitely want to play - it might be your only chance to play in an international tournament. People should think about this before letting their hatred of England overtake them.

The stuff about losing our own team could be academical anyway - Scotland will probably be independent soon anyway.

ALF TUPPER
03-12-2011, 07:40 AM
I hope they do well but probably wont watch a great deal of it.

As for the Team GB debate.... The majority in Scotland it seems dont want anything to do with a football Team GB . Yet , are supporting Craig Leveins Scotland team which is being drawn together pretty much like a Team GB these days. Whats the difference? :stirrer:

( overheard that on the radio recently - made me chuckle and me and the lads in the pub debating it for hours)